Options

Chicago Observations - "No Even Flow"

Comments

• Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    I saw laughter on Eddie's face. Maybe I was hallucinating due to the joy of being at a Pearl Jam concert..

But like the "No Even Flow" guy or supposed-guy said, that picture of him is invasive... There are enough lunatics on here that may end up hurting that guy in public.... On his behalf, please remove it.

It's not a big deal, but they dude DID wear the shirt in public. In front of 25,000 people. So he can't be *that* concerned about his privacy.

Yes, but not all 25,000 had floor seats.

More importantly, those who are currently upset weren't upset with the man until Eddie mentioned the T-shirt.

Now it's a lunatic free-for-all!
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I saw laughter on Eddie's face. Maybe I was hallucinating due to the joy of being at a Pearl Jam concert..
    He was DEFINITELY laughing during the song and seemingly at the end when he flipped him off. Then he was talking about it and seemed to get more serious, which was weird to me. So maybe he was joking the whole time, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    MinouMinou Posts: 99
    t0mMye wrote:
    07/09/2003

Listening to the boot right now...

(hes reading out posters people are holding up)

"wait wait wait, this one says.... "Play Leash you pussies".....you know....theres fucking children here...you fucking cocksucking motherfucker asshole prick."

:lol: !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    so last year when PJ played Virginia Beach I sold my extra ticket to a cousin of someone on this board. It was the cousin's first time seeing them live but has liked their music a long time. right before the show started I asked her if there was one song she'd really like to hear, and of course she replied, "I really hope they play Evenflow". That was great, I just smiled.

and when they did play it, she really rocked out and was soooo happy that I enjoyed hearing it too. It was really a lot of fun to watch someone at their very first PJ show and how excited they get on simple things we sometimes take for granted.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    I don't think I've added anything everyone here doesn't already know. The "casual" fan is dying to hear "Black," "Alive" "Betterman," "Even Flow" and "Jeremy." The casual fan has a confused look on his face during "Got Some," "In My Tree" and "Whipping."

After Even Flow, Eddie called out a 10C member sitting in the first few rows. Someone had a shirt that said, "No Even Flow" ... so Eddie said.

He pointed him out and said, "We take requests, not orders."

Thoughts?

I must say I disagree. I for one, am NOT a "casual fan" and I enjoy EVEN FLOW every single time it is played. It has great energy and no matter what ANY of the fans say, practically the entire venue is singing along to it! If I could have, I would have given Ed a big phat HELL YES & high five for schooling that dude wearing the no even flow shirt. 8-)

And p.s-
    People sit all the time, everywhere. I don't know WHY but....whatever. And those people that drink too much are annoying! They ruin my rock out time by having to get by to go to the bathroom every ten minutes! WTF!!!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I love to have EvenFlow in every set just in case I need to hit the urinals and/or beer line.
    +1
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    hey even the Stones don't play Satisfaction at every show. i don't mind that they play Even Flow every night, i just hope they don't feel like they have to play it. because, they don't.
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    I must say I disagree. I for one, am NOT a "casual fan" and I enjoy EVEN FLOW every single time it is played. It has great energy and no matter what ANY of the fans say, practically the entire venue is singing along to it! If I could have, I would have given Ed a big phat HELL YES & high five for schooling that dude wearing the no even flow shirt. 8-)

me too! I don't know, I love Even Flow. I might have already said this, but I think it's great they can play it every show and still do it with so much energy. I'm not such a fan of hearing Jeremy, because I don't feel like the band likes it that much- sometimes it seems like they're phoning that one in (to the extent that Pearl Jam ever phones anything in). The baseline in Even Flow just gets me really excited, I love Mike's solos, and love when the whole band jumps in the air together :).
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    People sit all the time, everywhere. I don't know WHY but....whatever.

My friend HAD to sit in Chicago the other night! -on top of the seat behind me. Why? because people had snuck into our row and the freaking row had gotten so crowded there was no where else for her to go. She sat perched up on the back of the chair for half the show! Thankfully she's really small so it didn't bother anyone behind her. I think there's a special place in hell reserved for people who sneak into rows. They get the rooms next to the bike thieves.

CROJAM95 wrote:
    And those people that drink too much are annoying! They ruin my rock out time by having to get by to go to the bathroom every ten minutes! WTF!!!

We had people on e in front of us the other night- not SO bad, but they did keep trying to kiss and hug everyone, give high fives, and talk during the show.

And as far as peeing-I adhere to strict rules of no alcohol consumption of any kind the day of a Pearl Jam show! In my 21 shows, I've had to leave to pee twice- once was in 2003 when I had been sitting outside in the 10c line in hot sun at Mountain View and overcompensated with ice tea later on (went during daughter, was back before the song was over) and once some other time that I can't remember at all, but I think I was definitely back before the song was over. I was so disappointed in myself both times :)
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    t0mMye wrote:
    07/09/2003

Listening to the boot right now...

(hes reading out posters people are holding up)

"wait wait wait, this one says.... "Play Leash you pussies".....you know....theres fucking children here...you fucking cocksucking motherfucker asshole prick."

And then in 2005 in New York (actually NJ, at the Continental Arena) they played Leash and Ed told the story of the sign ("play leash you pussies") from the last time they'd played NY, and after the song he said "Pussies no more, I guess" :lol:

I actually thought he was joking about the "no even flow" thing the whole time, but I guess those of you up close would have a better sense of his tone. To me it seemed really good-spirited, I actually thought he kind of bonded with the guy over it.

That having been said, though I'm a firm believer in the first amendment and would never try to stop someone wearing whatever they want, it's not a message I'd want to send to the band. Both because I think it's insulting (which I think just shows Ed has a better sense of humor than I do) and because I still love the song and enjoy it EVERY time, even though that's only been 9 so far...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    no even flow dude.... hell of a way to make a first post :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    I offended him with the shirt. And some of the other band members, too (Matt reached out to hand me his sticks after the show, then threw them way out into the crowd; a total FU).

LOL
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    Just a little food for thought. The at issue songs mentioned in this thread and how many times they have been played:

Alive -552
    Daughter-391
    Small Town-294
    Even Flow-631
    Jeremy-413
    Not for You-171

There are several others like Black, Porch, Animal or Betterman that are well over 300 plays. On the other hand, you have:

Who You Are-34
    Smile-50
    Around the Bend-9
    I'm Open-7
    Mankind-34
    Tremor Christ-54
    Satan's Bed-20

I mean who you are was a single off no code and only 34 plays? As you can tell I am a fan of No Code and Vitalogy. Nonetheless, I think they are better exemplars than songs off the later albums simply because songs that have been around longer get played more. I know that part of the reason that these songs are not played probably has to do with the lack of Jack Irons but it does suck not to hear your favourite song played live.

Don't get me wrong I love Pearl Jam and I think we are lucky that we get such diverse setlists for each tour but having ONLY gone to hometown shows in Toronto, I do feel like I could do without some of the tried and true songs. And I know there is a lot of "the grass is greener" going on here. I feel that Toronto sometimes gets the shaft and we get your sorta best of show while a lot of US dates get better lists. Having said that, I'm sure ppl see TO set lists and say "wow you guys got______! Lucky!"

I don't think there is anything wrong with being sick of a song...I mean we grow and mature and our tastes change. I am sure Pearl Jam are sick of some songs to and ultimately its up to them to play what they play. To some extent they should be thinking that "the customer is always right" and as such play certain songs they might not necessarily like as much and maybe that's what they do when they play Even Flow ad nauseum.

One final thought. I remember YEARS ago listening to an interview with radiohead when they were just breaking big with Creep and they complained about playing shows and seeing people leave right after they played Creep. Like ppl waited just for that BIG song and then they left. So I pose this question:

What is worse-coming just for the HITS and leaving or coming for the rarities, the "real" fan favourites and ducking out during a song you've seen played several times and just have fallen out of love with?
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    metsfan wrote:
    I love to have EvenFlow in every set just in case I need to hit the urinals and/or beer line.
    +1
    There was actually a line up in the mens room at Chi 2 when Even Flow was being played :lol:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    This thread/story is the "Boston Puker" of tour 2009! :lol:
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    let's not forget that Ed likes the smoke breaks that he gets during this song
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    It's an interesting point. I mean, I know when I'm listening to bootlegs, I more often than not skip Even Flow. But, when I am at the show, I rock the fuck out to it. I've been to 8 shows, which isn't a whole lot, mind you my first was in 05. I guess the point is that even though it's a song I've heard a million times, getting to see it (or any song) live is always a special treat.

I'm not sure I could just go take a piss during a PJ show...unless I really had to go...and then...well then maybe that'd be the song haha.
    Borgata II, Philly 05, ER 1 06, ER 2 06, Camden I 08, MSG I 08, MSG II 08, Mansfield II 08, EV 1 NYC, EV NJPAC

Hard To Imagine
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    81 wrote:
    no even flow dude.... hell of a way to make a first post :lol:

You can say that again! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Is this serious?

I mean, I was there...to me it seemed like it was all in good fun. I don't really think anyone in the band got upset with the guy...just playing a role on stage...a joke on the guy.

Man, some people are pretty sensative.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Is this serious?

I mean, I was there...to me it seemed like it was all in good fun. I don't really think anyone in the band got upset with the guy...just playing a role on stage...a joke on the guy.

Man, some people are pretty sensative.

Indeed!
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    It's not like the guy threw a quarter at him or anything. That really pisses him off.
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Simple solution for the folks that are "tired of hearing Even Flow":

Just don't got to any more Pearl Jam concerts! Sorry, but this is getting f'n annoying. If you are tired of hearing it, you've seen the band far too many times and you have lost your respect for the band and for the other fans. Just stay home. Don't go and you won't be ticked off. Let other people go and hear it live for the first time or others who are grateful for the opportunity to see this great band and enjoy EVERY SINGLE moment of the show.

Goddam whiners and elitists. STAY HOME and let people who appreciate whatever they play go and have a good time!! :evil:

Personally I agree with you and I like the way Ed handled this akward situation!

I hate to say many PJ fans seem to be so spoiled and that is somehow one of the consequences of the professional efforts of the band... I mean we tend to forget about other fans that are not so crazy about the band as we are
    and
    by the way it's so fuckin disrespectful towards the band we supposedly love!
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    Ricsard wrote:

Just don't got to any more Pearl Jam concerts! Sorry, but this is getting f'n annoying. If you are tired of hearing it, you've seen the band far too many times and you have lost your respect for the band and for the other fans. Just stay home. Don't go and you won't be ticked off. Let other people go and hear it live for the first time or others who are grateful for the opportunity to see this great band and enjoy EVERY SINGLE moment of the show.

Goddam whiners and elitists. STAY HOME and let people who appreciate whatever they play go and have a good time!! :evil:

Personally I agree with you and I like the way Ed handled this akward situation!

I hate to say many PJ fans seem to be so spoiled and that is somehow one of the consequences of the professional efforts of the band... I mean we tend to forget about other fans that are not so crazy about the band as we are
    and

You two take things far too seriously. Settle down. Some people would just prefer to hear some other songs. It's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't mind if they played Black at every single concert I went to. But that's because I like the song better than Even Flow. It's just a preference thing. And that's what these message boards and fun t-shirts are for, stating preferences.

So take your noses out Eddie's ass and get a life.
  • Options
    brandon10 wrote:
    Ricsard wrote:

and

You two take things far too seriously. Settle down. Some people would just prefer to hear some other songs. It's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't mind if they played Black at every single concert I went to. But that's because I like the song better than Even Flow. It's just a preference thing. And that's what these message boards and fun t-shirts are for, stating preferences.

So take your noses out Eddie's ass and get a life.

+2
  • Options
    An Open Letter To Pearl Jam and Its Fans

**Edited for space**

Sincerely, and with remorse,
    The "No Even Flow" Guy

PS- Please take my picture down. The posting is really very invasive.

Yeah, I thought it was a big joke at first, too. Then Ed seemed a bit peeved by it all by the end. The kicker was when Matt made to hand his sticks to you then launched them. Felt pretty bad for you after that. I figured the shirt was a (poorly done) attempt at a joke with good intentions that just got away from you.

Either way, sounds like you feel bad about it. I agree that your pic shouldn't be put all over the place.
  • Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    I still love the song, but I just wish they would change it around in the set list sometimes. More often than not, you always hear it around song 8 through 12 in the main set. It would really rock the (expletive deleted) out of the place if they came out and opened with Even Flow, or first song of the encore, or even closed the main set with it. Definitely don't get rid of it, just move it around the set list more.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    The song itself is awesome, but the long solo in the middle has to go. I'm sorry, but Mike's soloing has gone downhill the last few tours. There is nothing fluid about the solos. A buddy of mine after the show who doesn't go to many shows said it seems like Mike spends more time figuring out what to play next in his solos than actually soloing. Mike's guitar playing made me want to be a guitar player, but man, get some melody into these solos! Make them memorable!

I still enjoy PJ shows as much as ever, this is a just a critique I've had for the last few years.
  • Options
    malcyrvsmalcyrvs Posts: 89
    I just think everyone has the right to make any statement they wish to make about this band, whether it be good or bad. Some of the comments in response to the original post are bordering on the obsessive.
    After all, and one of the things the Band do hold precious to their hearts is Free Speech, which I thought as Americans, with The First Amendment to your Bill Of Rights, you more than anyone else would understand.
    It bugs me like hell, but if I hear one more fan state the songs from a particular set list weren't obscure enough, I'll..., oh..., I don't know what I'll do, it's such a ridiculous statement to make.
    Maybe I'm taking myself TOO seriously with what I've just said, I don't know.

Get me, politicising Pearl Jam, never done that before. Just shows what their body of work can do to people. Even Flow, or Not, as the case may be. ;)
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Well, considering they have played it at 99% of shows in the last 10 years it's no surprise that people are "semi"-sick of it.

I know I am!!

Again, I know they have to play the favorites to those 20% who aren't die-hards or who haven't been to multiple shows but F ME...

So sick of Even Flow!

Yea I've had my fill of Even Flow.
  • Options
    If I see someone wearing a "No Even Flow" shirt.. They will be wearing my beer.
    Randalls Island 9/28/96- 9/29/96
    Camden 8/28/98
    Rutherford 9/8/98
    MSG 9/10/98
    MSG 9/11/98
    JB 8/23/00
    JB 8/24/00
    JB 8/25/00
    Camden 9/1/00 9/2/00
    Vegas 10/22/00
    N.O. 4/8/03
    B-ham 4/9/03