Options

Chicago Observations - "No Even Flow"

Evil BeaverEvil Beaver Posts: 84
edited September 2009 in Given To Fly (live)
This is not a fanview.

I spent Night 1 on the floor in the fifth row, thanks to a very nice 10C member who put up with me despite the fact that I had too much to drink and behaved like a slobbering animal.

Night 2 I spent in section 109, observing trends and fan tendencies.

When Even Flow began there was a notable exodus of floor-level 10 Club fans who've had their share of the song over the decades. It was very noticeable, although only still a small percentage of floor-level people. But during other songs you didn't see nearly as many people heading for the pisser.

There were a number of people around me who were sitting — still a minority, mind you — during the show, but would stand up for songs like Betterman, Alive and Black. The cheers were also the strongest from the back sections during the traditional hits.

I don't think I've added anything everyone here doesn't already know. The "casual" fan is dying to hear "Black," "Alive" "Betterman," "Even Flow" and "Jeremy." The casual fan has a confused look on his face during "Got Some," "In My Tree" and "Whipping."

After Even Flow, Eddie called out a 10C member sitting in the first few rows. Someone had a shirt that said, "No Even Flow" ... so Eddie said.

He pointed him out and said, "We take requests, not orders."

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Someone had a shirt that said, "No Even Flow" ... so Eddie said.

That's a good line.

It's ceremonial for me and whoever I'm with to smoke a joint during Even Flow.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rupy017rupy017 Posts: 249
    I thought that was funny as well.
    I also think it's important to mention that Ed said that Mike HAS to play that song or he'll go nuts.
    Clearly, that's the reason for it to be in the set. Mike loves playing it.
    I think they spread the songs around so much and it's great to hear the old stuff.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Well, considering they have played it at 99% of shows in the last 10 years it's no surprise that people are "semi"-sick of it.

I know I am!!

Again, I know they have to play the favorites to those 20% who aren't die-hards or who haven't been to multiple shows but F ME...

So sick of Even Flow!
  • Options
    rupy017rupy017 Posts: 249
    How can people be sick of EVEN FLOW?
    Are you sick of Alive, Jeremy, Not For You, Daughter and Elderly Woman too?
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Simple solution for the folks that are "tired of hearing Even Flow":

Just don't got to any more Pearl Jam concerts! Sorry, but this is getting f'n annoying. If you are tired of hearing it, you've seen the band far too many times and you have lost your respect for the band and for the other fans. Just stay home. Don't go and you won't be ticked off. Let other people go and hear it live for the first time or others who are grateful for the opportunity to see this great band and enjoy EVERY SINGLE moment of the show.

Goddam whiners and elitists. STAY HOME and let people who appreciate whatever they play go and have a good time!! :evil:
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    Lol, let's not take this so seriously...

I saw the guy with the No Even Flow shirt before Pearl Jam took the stage.. I pointed him out to my sister and she flashed a photo of him..

It was funny when Eddie saw him at first when they started playing Even Flow. Eddie laughed and smiled for a good amount of time... Then at the end of Even Flow Eddie flipped the guy off... And went on to say Mike will kill if he can't play the song... And then he pointed out that guy with the shirt.

Lol, it was funny to see the whole thing happen!

Tonight's setlist was awesome!
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    rupy017 wrote:
    How can people be sick of EVEN FLOW?
    Are you sick of Alive, Jeremy, Not For You, Daughter and Elderly Woman too?

To answer your question...

Even Flow: Been to a LOT of shows in my day. Have seen this everytime! It's played far too fast and without a care in the world by the band. More or less "Shit, we gotta play THIS again..."

Alive: I was pumped when this song took a hiatus in 2000. I do think it's played a bit much but I still think it's a good live tune.

Jeremy: I think I've seen this one in every show but one. Total snooze-fest anymore!

Not for You: This is really not a show staple. I would actually prefer this over EF, or Jeremy any day! Though Ed can't hit all the notes as well these days...

Daughter: To me this is a 75%-er. Played a lot, but for most PJ fans, they can bear through it enough for the tag.

Small Town: Another 75%-er. Ed likes to drop town names to get the crowd going, and while it used to be a fav. of mine, I can take it or leave it.
  • Options
    They seemed to have changed up Even Flow tonight and last night... The solos seemed shorter, mellower, and chilled.. Even though I'm a bit tired of Even Flow myself, I liked it!
  • Options

Just don't got to any more Pearl Jam concerts! Sorry, but this is getting f'n annoying. If you are tired of hearing it, you've seen the band far too many times and you have lost your respect for the band and for the other fans. Just stay home. Don't go and you won't be ticked off. Let other people go and hear it live for the first time or others who are grateful for the opportunity to see this great band and enjoy EVERY SINGLE moment of the show.

Goddam whiners and elitists. STAY HOME and let people who appreciate whatever they play go and have a good time!! :evil:

Way to over generalize what we're saying about the over-playing of a song this isn't played the way it should be in the first place...

It's so easy to drop the "if you don't like it, stay home" crap, but you have to admit...this song has been beat to death by the un-original stick!
    Maybe if they slowed it down and got the groove back...
    Maybe if Mike played an original solo from time to time...
    Maybe if they didn't play it every show...
    Maybe if the band actually played it like they gave a shit...

"Let people appreciate whatever they play"
    Hey you know what? Despite the fact that I have seen this cookie cutter a bunch of times, I still will rock out to it and most people I know always do! So if you are surrounded by a group that won't let you enjoy it (and I'm sure that happens all the time) I'd suggest you go to another show.

:roll:
  • Options
    how many shows must one go to before he gets bored with Even Flow? im not there yet.
  • Options
    I will tell you the answer to your question if you answer me these questions three:

1.) What is mooB spelled backwards?

2.) Up here in who's tree?

3.) Where do circles end?
  • Options
    I will tell you the answer to your question if you answer me these questions three:

1.) What is mooB spelled backwards?

2.) Up here in who's tree?

3.) Where do circles end?
    1. if i answer a big hairy hawaiian will appear before me.
    2. what kind of tree?
    3. circles faaaaaaade away.
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114

Sorry, I'd just prefer I Got Shit over Even Flow. Or GO, or Once, or Garden, or Rats, or Tremor Christ, or Red Mosquito, or No Way, or Grievence, or Faithfull, or Sleight of Hand, or MFC, or Immortality, or well I think you get the point.

And the "if you don't like something just stay home" arguement is really lame. Take your crazy"I love every single moment" shit elsewhere. You sound like a stalker.
  • Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    brandon10 wrote:
    You sound like a stalker.

Pot...Kettle. Kettle...Pot.
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:
    brandon10 wrote:
    You sound like a stalker.

So I take it your the same type as vedderfan. Pearl jam can do no wrong, You must love every sigle thing they do and say no matter what. You should never get tired of anything they do. Sorry, that sounds like scary stalker shit.
  • Options
    Pot...Kettle. Kettle...Pot.[/quote]

So I take it your the same type as vedderfan. Pearl jam can do no wrong, You must love every sigle thing they do and say no matter what. You should never get tired of anything they do. Sorry, that sounds like scary stalker shit.[/quote]

yes, i am. i love every 'sigle' they say. 'your' right.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    They seemed to have changed up Even Flow tonight and last night... The solos seemed shorter, mellower, and chilled.. Even though I'm a bit tired of Even Flow myself, I liked it!

I concur. They've changed it up this year, and I enjoy it more. I didn't much care for Matt's solo during it last year or in '07.

I much prefer singing along to Even Flow than Alive or Black - there's only so much 'do do do do dododooo' you can put up with. I realise, however, that this is my own problem, and I would never be rude enough to leave front row while they play it :roll: nor would I try stop them from playing it. It seems very rude towards the band and a little elistist to make a t-shirt that said "I'm sick of hearing X" There are a few people in the world who don't get to see PJ as much as I/we do, and hearing Alive, Even Flow or Black could make their day, month, year, LIFE!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jennytree wrote:

I concur. They've changed it up this year, and I enjoy it more. I didn't much care for Matt's solo during it last year or in '07.

I much prefer singing along to Even Flow than Alive or Black - there's only so much 'do do do do dododooo' you can put up with. I realise, however, that this is my own problem, and I would never be rude enough to leave front row while they play it :roll: nor would I try stop them from playing it. It seems very rude towards the band and a little elistist to make a t-shirt that said "I'm sick of hearing X" There are a few people in the world who don't get to see PJ as much as I/we do, and hearing Alive, Even Flow or Black could make their day, month, year, LIFE!

Although I would never go out of my way to make a shirt, I do think they play it too much. But I guess maybe it's a bit of a preference thing. Because I would love for PJ to play Black at every single show I ever go to. But they don't. That's the thing, they play Evenflow every night.

It would almost feel like a special show if they didn't play it. Kinda special like if they did play No Way.

Edit: I'd like to add that I think the guy with the shirt was likely just being playfull. And i bet he's pretty happy that he got any kind of response from the band.

Oh and from what Eddie seems to have said tonight it appears that for once it's not Stones fault. :o
    Post edited by brandon10 on
  • Options
    brandon10 wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:

Although I would never go out of my way to make a shirt, I do think they play it too much. But I guess maybe it's a bit of a preference thing. Because I would love for PJ to play Black at every single show I ever go to. But they don't. That's the thing, they play Evenflow every night.

It would almost feel like a special show if they didn't play it. Kinda special like if they did play No Way.

You guys should bring this up with the band. I'm sure they would love the input. No. Really. You should.
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:

So I take it your the same type as vedderfan. Pearl jam can do no wrong, You must love every sigle thing they do and say no matter what. You should never get tired of anything they do. Sorry, that sounds like scary stalker shit.[/quote]

yes, i am. i love every 'sigle' they say. 'your' right.[/quote]

Way to add to the conversation there Mr. English/typing teacher. Do you have anything with any thought to add or are you just a 1 line posting troll?
  • Options
    brandon10 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:

So I take it your the same type as vedderfan. Pearl jam can do no wrong, You must love every sigle thing they do and say no matter what. You should never get tired of anything they do. Sorry, that sounds like scary stalker shit.

Way to add to the conversation there Mr. English/typing teacher. Do you have anything with any thought to add or are you just a 1 line posting troll?[/quote]

Just a one line posting troll. And that's DOCTOR English to you, tough guy. By the way, you need a comma after
    'add' in the second sentence (it precedes a conjunction), and you shouldn't use a numeral in a sentence. And that's why they call me the DOCTOR!!!
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:
    brandon10 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:

Way to add to the conversation there Mr. English/typing teacher. Do you have anything with any thought to add or are you just a 1 line posting troll?[/quote]

Just a one line posting troll. And that's DOCTOR English to you, tough guy. By the way, you need a comma after
    'add' in the second sentence (it precedes a conjunction), and you shouldn't use a numeral in a sentence. And that's why they call me the DOCTOR!!![/quote]

The Doctor is in the house!
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:
    brandon10 wrote:

'add' in the second sentence (it precedes a conjunction), and you shouldn't use a numeral in a sentence. And that's why they call me the DOCTOR!!![/quote]

The Doctor is in the house![/quote]

Paging Dr.Douche Bag........ Paging Dr. Douche Bag, Hurry and get over to a new thread on the Porch, someone made a post with a gramatical error! Hurry! Hurry you lame 1 line posting troll. :lol:
  • Options
    brandon10 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:
    brandon10 wrote:

The Doctor is in the house![/quote]

Paging Dr.Douche Bag........ Paging Dr. Douche Bag, Hurry and get over to a new thread on the Porch, someone made a post with a gramatical error! Hurry! Hurry you lame 1 line posting troll. :lol:[/quote]

no
  • Options
    Reno1979Reno1979 Posts: 91
    What a jackass to have FRONT ROW seats and wear a shirt like that. Someone said it best in another thread...
    "The worst thing about Pearl Jam concerts is Pearl Jam fans."
  • Options
    And another thing before I go to work... You are so fucking lucky that we have a band like this that chooses to play these AMAZINGLY diverse setlists, including all these rare album tracks, b-sides and covers... So when I see people getting all pissy about one of the most INFLUENTIAL SONGS of the freaking last 25 years that all but us die hards might not want to hear... It makes me hate you.

We are not the majority of people at the shows. So really, shut it, and appreciate what you get.
  • Options
    Oh... and have a nice day.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Reno1979 wrote:
    What a jackass to have FRONT ROW seats and wear a shirt like that. Someone said it best in another thread...
    "The worst thing about Pearl Jam concerts is Pearl Jam fans."

I agree, incredibly disrespectful to wear a shirt like that !!

I am a casual Pearl Jam fan, my 1st 2 shows were last year and I loved them, but reading some of the BS on this board, especially the sense of entitlement some people seem to have , turns me off a bit. Hopefully it is just the vocal very small minority.

1st time I went to a show there were a bunch of songs I didnt knew, but I thought Evenflow was amazing, felt like one big awesome jam.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'll be honest, I could do without the jam in the middle of Even Flow, it is getting a little predictable and old.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    After Even Flow, Eddie called out a 10C member sitting in the first few rows. Someone had a shirt that said, "No Even Flow" ... so Eddie said.

Thoughts?

Did someone really make such a shirt? God, some of you people make me want to be violent.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do