Options

Chicago Observations - "No Even Flow"

Comments

• Options
    EVEN FLOW!!

love this song!

I dont recall seeing ANYONE leave during it in Toronto.

I understand why people say what they do, but how can you not want to hear Mike The Master do his thing??

I remember reading an interview where Mike stated this was his favorite song to play, so even more reason why I love hearing it.

Anyone who loves PJ, LOVES Mike! sure they play the song pretty much at every show, but fuck, there is a reason why...MIKE MCCREADY!!!

and i saw that dude [or shirt] in toronto as well...my buddy had a chuckle..I did not..
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    the mass exodus during even flow pisses me off every time i see it. it angers a lot of other fans and more importantly its disrespectful to the band. the people that do it need to just quit going to the gigs, cuz you're just going to end up hating every other song that they play...
  • Options
    erik768erik768 Decatur, GA Posts: 117
    When I'm at a concert and the headliner starts I will not move until the show is over. I'm paying good money to see this band I want to enjoy every second. Once you accept that you will hear Evenflow and Alive at every show and stop complaining you'll have a great time rocking out to it. How can people not enjoy the solos Mike throws into these songs.

And to the guy with the shirt. Show a little respect man. The band deserves it. There not a fucking house band that take orders from the crowd. They earned the right to play anything they want.
    PJ
    2003 Tampa 2004 Kissimmee 2007 Chicago 2008 West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia 2009 Toronto, Chicago 1-2, Philadelphia 3-4 2010 New Orleans 2011 PJ20/East Troy 1-2 2012 Atlanta 2013 Baltimore 2016 Miami, Greenville 2018 Boston 1 2020 St. Louis 2022 Nashville, St. Louis 2023 Noblesville, Austin 1-2 2024 Chicago 1-2
    EV
    2009 Atlanta 1-2 2012 Jacksonville
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    HA! Alright Ed, what a great response.

I've heard Even Flow at 20 of the 21 shows I've been to, and I'm not walking out on it, I love it! To me, Even Flow is sort of what Pearl Jam is about, and I love to hear Mike wail on it. I also love that they can play it every night and still put everything they have into it. I think it would be weird to go to show and not hear Even Flow.
  • Options
    beakbeak Posts: 148
    It's one song in a huge, long set. If this is one of the bigger concerns in your life, then life must be pretty damn good.
    www.NickBpt.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Listen to Evenflow from Night 1 and you'll hear why they play it
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    noevenflow.jpg

yes I edited his face for privacy

:lol:
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    In conclusion: Damn, some people can blow things wayyyyyyyyy out of proportion.... It's not like this guy was throwing beers at the band because they were playing Even Flow.... He just had a T-Shirt on. Perhaps his intentions were to make people chuckle, not want to rip his head off for "ordering Pearl Jam around." That's my three cents.
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    In conclusion: Damn, some people can blow things wayyyyyyyyy out of proportion.... It's not like this guy was throwing beers at the band because they were playing Even Flow.... He just had a T-Shirt on. Perhaps his intentions were to make people chuckle, not want to rip his head off for "ordering Pearl Jam around." That's my three cents.

Exactly......the loons around here need to settle down. I can't even count how many times people posted that "if you would rather hear another song over Even Flow then you shouldn't go to Pj concerts anymore". Because they are "just happy to be in the building". Get a life. And I'll be attending 9 shows this tour. If I hear EF at every show, so be it. Not a big deal. But there are many songs I'd rather hear.

Listen psychos, If I decide to go to the bathroom during even flow(which I don't) or any other song for that matter, it's my choice. I'll never forget the little crackpot at Key arena 2002 that lost it on me because I walked in front of her on the way to the bathroom during wishlist.(the one time I ever went to the bathroom at a show) She actually said " OMG, what are you doing? this is my favorite song"!! I guess I could have pissed on her leg?

So please settle down people. We all love PJ. If some of us would prefer to hear songs other than Even Flow it's not disrespectful to the band. And if this fella wanted to have a little fun with a t-shirt, there's no need to get all crazy about it.
  • Options
    TuckerKattTuckerKatt Posts: 120
    edited August 2009
    Post edited by TuckerKatt on
  • Options
    An Open Letter To Pearl Jam and Its Fans

Pearl Jam changed my life. The first time I saw them was in Miami in 1992. I have been to countless shows since then. I love Even Flow. Love it. Having been homeless with no other choice than to sleep under park benches, I can relate to that song (like so many other PJ songs) in a very personal way. While that was a long time ago, every time I hear the song (and Alive, I might add), it reminds me in the most positive way of where I came from; what I have evolved into. Pearl Jam was right beside me the whole way. Their music is never far from me and has become part of the soundtrack of my life. Those who know me know that none of this is exaggerated.

My current tour mates (one of which chimed in above) and I frequently discuss fantasy Pearl Jam sets. In fact, right before Toronto I created an entire ultimate, personal fantasy set list. Even Flow was not on it. NOT because I think the song is lame and NOT because I am a spoiled ungrateful fan. In fact, as so many of you mention, everytime I am in the room with them, I consider it a privilege. I have had the extreme honor of standing right in front of that stage many, many times. I have also been so far away that I had to watch the monitors. Always appreciative. I have seen Pearl Jam at massive festivals and been lucky enough to see them at more intimate places like the HOB and Vic in Chicago. I am one of those people who will wait overnight in a line to get as close as I can so I can really feel what is going on. One of the biggest thrills I get is when I get something rare or unique at a Pearl Jam show (like seeing them debut a song, or play with Neil or Robert Plant, or watching Matt sing a Kiss song). The point of "No Even Flow" was that I have never been to a show (as far as I can remember) when Even Flow was not played. That was it. My tour mates got it and laughed. Fans in Toronto and Chicago got it and laughed. And Eddie got it and laughed. Imagine what a special moment it was for me to see Eddie laugh when he saw the shirt DURING EVEN FLOW (a total coincidence; I did nothing to draw his attention). He pointed RIGHT AT ME AND LAUGHED. HE GOT IT!!! I was on cloud nine.

But things didn't end that way. Eddie thought about it and maybe got angry. While he may of started off being playful with the bit about Mike (arguable), I think some of you are right... I offended him with the shirt. And some of the other band members, too (Matt reached out to hand me his sticks after the show, then threw them way out into the crowd; a total FU). I totally understand this. The guys are very generous every night. One of the best recent examples of that was what they did in Toronto when Ted of the Pharmacists didn't make it to the gig. What band would do what they did? None, I submit, and I was preaching their virtues at the very moment that whole thing was going down. For you real fans, imagine the horror and heartbreak of Eddie flipping you off not once, but twice, and suggesting that Mike McCready should kill ONE OF MIKE'S BIGGEST FANS. I am still devasted by this.

In short, I totally understand now why the band and even some of you were offended. I regret not being able to anticipate the reaction (no joke, the overwhelming response before the moment Eddie got mad was positive). To Eddie, Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Matt -- and their many fans at Chi2 -- I am sorry for offending you. I rocked Even Flow at Chi2 and I will rock it when I hear it other times on this and any other tour I am lucky enough to be a part of.

Sincerely, and with remorse,
    The "No Even Flow" Guy

PS- Please take my picture down. The posting is really very invasive.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    An Open Letter To Pearl Jam and Its Fans

Pearl Jam changed my life. The first time I saw them was in Miami in 1992. I have been to countless shows since then. I love Even Flow. Love it. Having been homeless with no other choice than to sleep under park benches, I can relate to that song (like so many other PJ songs) in a very personal way. While that was a long time ago, every time I hear the song (and Alive, I might add), it reminds me in the most positive way of where I came from; what I have evolved into. Pearl Jam was right beside me the whole way. Their music is never far from me and has become part of the soundtrack of my life. Those who know me know that none of this is exaggerated.

My current tour mates (one of which chimed in above) and I frequently discuss fantasy Pearl Jam sets. In fact, right before Toronto I created an entire ultimate, personal fantasy set list. Even Flow was not on it. NOT because I think the song is lame and NOT because I am a spoiled ungrateful fan. In fact, as so many of you mention, everytime I am in the room with them, I consider it a privilege. I have had the extreme honor of standing right in front of that stage many, many times. I have also been so far away that I had to watch the monitors. Always appreciative. I have seen Pearl Jam at massive festivals and been lucky enough to see them at more intimate places like the HOB and Vic in Chicago. I am one of those people who will wait overnight in a line to get as close as I can so I can really feel what is going on. One of the biggest thrills I get is when I get something rare or unique at a Pearl Jam show (like seeing them debut a song, or play with Neil or Robert Plant, or watching Matt sing a Kiss song). The point of "No Even Flow" was that I have never been to a show (as far as I can remember) when Even Flow was not played. That was it. My tour mates got it and laughed. Fans in Toronto and Chicago got it and laughed. And Eddie got it and laughed. Imagine what a special moment it was for me to see Eddie laugh when he saw the shirt DURING EVEN FLOW (a total coincidence; I did nothing to draw his attention). He pointed RIGHT AT ME AND LAUGHED. HE GOT IT!!! I was on cloud nine.

But things didn't end that way. Eddie thought about it and maybe got angry. While he may of started off being playful with the bit about Mike (arguable), I think some of you are right... I offended him with the shirt. And some of the other band members, too (Matt reached out to hand me his sticks after the show, then threw them way out into the crowd; a total FU). I totally understand this. The guys are very generous every night. One of the best recent examples of that was what they did in Toronto when Ted of the Pharmacists didn't make it to the gig. What band would do what they did? None, I submit, and I was preaching their virtues at the very moment that whole thing was going down. For you real fans, imagine the horror and heartbreak of Eddie flipping you off not once, but twice, and suggesting that Mike McCready should kill ONE OF MIKE'S BIGGEST FANS. I am still devasted by this.

In short, I totally understand now why the band and even some of you were offended. I regret not being able to anticipate the reaction (no joke, the overwhelming response before the moment Eddie got mad was positive). To Eddie, Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Matt -- and their many fans at Chi2 -- I am sorry for offending you. I rocked Even Flow at Chi2 and I will rock it when I hear it other times on this and any other tour I am lucky enough to be a part of.

Sincerely, and with remorse,
    The "No Even Flow" Guy

PS- Please take my picture down. The posting is really very invasive.

When I saw/heard that go down, I thought Eddie was making a light hearted joke. I didn't
    realize the band took it to heart. I guess it could go either way wearing a shirt like that -
    your freinds will "get" it, but no one else will...It's a shitty feeling to get this kind
    of recongnition when you truly are a fan.
  • Options
    MinouMinou Posts: 99
    My thought is that if anyone is bored or tired of any live songs, including Even Flow, they have been to too many shows and/or take it too seriously.

I also really dislike musical snobbishness and elitism. Example- a girl in my office was actually afraid to tell anyone she was elated about going to see Britney Spears in concert. That's ridiculous. It's music- music is supposed to be inclusive and joyous. People should be allowed to like what they like how ever they choose to like it.
  • Options
    t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    You got off easy compared to how he laid into the guy at MSG awhile back that held the "Play Leash you pussies" sign.
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    gndcd402 wrote:
    the mass exodus during even flow pisses me off every time i see it. it angers a lot of other fans and more importantly its disrespectful to the band. the people that do it need to just quit going to the gigs, cuz you're just going to end up hating every other song that they play...

Yeah, and the mass exodus during YL too. I love it when Ed calls out the crowd for leaving early. Like in Hartford last year "Look at them, they're all leaving to go register to vote"
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    I've never held up a sign or yelled out a request but I guess I get the people who do. I could never imagine making a 'NO' request. As touched as we are by some song or another, ALL of their songs are their life's work.

How would you like it if someone came to your job and requested you NOT do something that was your creation? Seeing the sheer excitement and joy Mike and Matt get out of the EF solos, I'd never expect them to stop - no matter what I thought of the song or how many times I've personally seen it. Not everyone goes to every other show and has the opportunity to 'get sick' of something.

I'd love to know what the whiners here do with the real problems in their lives.... :roll:
    Why go home?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    The point of "No Even Flow" was that I have never been to a show (as far as I can remember) when Even Flow was not played.

You should go to a Paul McCartney concert and wear a "No Hey Jude" shirt. He'd be all like "Sorry man....but there's a lot of lads and birds who want to hear it"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    t0mMye wrote:
    You got off easy compared to how he laid into the guy at MSG awhile back that held the "Play Leash you pussies" sign.
    I dont remember that? What did he say?
  • Options
    MinouMinou Posts: 99
    drsluggo wrote:
    t0mMye wrote:
    I dont remember that? What did he say?

Yes, tell us. What did he say? :shock:
  • Options
    t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    07/09/2003

Listening to the boot right now...

(hes reading out posters people are holding up)

"wait wait wait, this one says.... "Play Leash you pussies".....you know....theres fucking children here...you fucking cocksucking motherfucker asshole prick."
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    The Leash thing isn't comparable. Ed was joking there. They don't have a problem with requests obviously. Supersonic was requested Night 1 in Chicago even.

The tone of Ed's voice when he said "We take requests, not orders" seemed pretty serious to me. Maybe Ed's initial laughter at your shirt was more "there's 20,000 other people that aren't on your side and your gonna get it".
  • Options
    I saw laughter on Eddie's face. Maybe I was hallucinating due to the joy of being at a Pearl Jam concert..

But like the "No Even Flow" guy or supposed-guy said, that picture of him is invasive... There are enough lunatics on here that may end up hurting that guy in public.... On his behalf, please remove it.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730

But like the "No Even Flow" guy or supposed-guy said, that picture of him is invasive... There are enough lunatics on here that may end up hurting that guy in public.... On his behalf, please remove it.

I agree
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    As I'm reading this thread I made it to page 5 & "Even Flow" comes on the radio. I still turned it up. Now back to reading this thread.

Carry on.
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    After finishing this thread, PJ fans are the greatest & the worst.

The best because of our love of PJ, the ONE commonality that ALL of us here have.

The worst because of all the bitching of how we are suposed to love PJ, the whole 'i'm a bigger fan than you", you shouldn't go to shows if you don't like that song.....etc....

Everybody has their own reasons for the love of this band, let it be.

Take this guys picture down & leave him alone.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    t0mMye wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ed was joking there. All in good fun.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    t0mMye wrote:
    07/09/2003

Listening to the boot right now...

(hes reading out posters people are holding up)

"wait wait wait, this one says.... "Play Leash you pussies".....you know....theres fucking children here...you fucking cocksucking motherfucker asshole prick."

Yeah, that was definitely Ed joking around.
  • Options
    I saw laughter on Eddie's face. Maybe I was hallucinating due to the joy of being at a Pearl Jam concert..

It's not a big deal, but they dude DID wear the shirt in public. In front of 25,000 people. So he can't be *that* concerned about his privacy.
  • Options
    TuckerKattTuckerKatt Posts: 120
    It's not a big deal, but they dude DID wear the shirt in public. In front of 25,000 people. So he can't be *that* concerned about his privacy.

I agree -- he wore a shirt that was obviously going to draw attention, he was in public, and I asked before I took his picture. But at his request I have removed it..