Options

Chicago Observations - "No Even Flow"

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,562
    Simple solution for the folks that are "tired of hearing Even Flow":

Just don't got to any more Pearl Jam concerts! Sorry, but this is getting f'n annoying. If you are tired of hearing it, you've seen the band far too many times and you have lost your respect for the band and for the other fans. Just stay home. Don't go and you won't be ticked off. Let other people go and hear it live for the first time or others who are grateful for the opportunity to see this great band and enjoy EVERY SINGLE moment of the show.

Goddam whiners and elitists. STAY HOME and let people who appreciate whatever they play go and have a good time!! :evil:

Well said.
    + after seing 12 concerts and 11 even flows, I have noticed it is one of the songs that generates som of the biggest cheers from the crowd. Cant really pblame them for playing it every time. It is probably also their best 'guitar' song.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    as Eddie said in Nashville..."you play the song that got you here"

and Evenflow being on Guitar Hero is probably getting them some new younger fans that have never seen them live before....just guessing there
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    If I see someone wearing a "No Even Flow" shirt.. They will be wearing my beer.

Now that's just stupid
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    Jstein1978Jstein1978 Posts: 548
    I was definitely more drunk(and other) for Chicago 1. I would also add that the tempo of the first show was more consistent. After the 1st song of each show, Long Road and Hard to Imagine, Chicago 1 only had one slow song that the majority of fans might not know, Come Back. At any point, they were more than happy to sing along to Small Town. So basically, song 10(Come Back) and song 14(Man of The Hour), were the only breathers.
    Compare that to Chicago 2, you start hard with Corduroy, In My Tree, and Last Exit, then the rug gets dragged right from under you with the mellow ballads of All Night and Nothingman. Then the band speeds things up with The Fixer and Even Flow, then shows it down with Present Tense. Same deal with the 1st Encore. Did they just play the songs they wanted to with no regard to flow? Perhaps the guy in the tee shirt wasn't making a request for, "No Even Flow," but rather describing the entire setlist.
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    If I see someone wearing a "No Even Flow" shirt.. They will be wearing my beer.

I'll be at Key arena 10c window night one to pick up my tickets. I'll be there around 2:30. Bring your beer. I'll bring the shirt.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Even Flow is cool even tho they play it all of the time. It brings the energy levels up and gives Ed a chance to rest that golden voice during those long solos.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    Jennytree wrote:
    There are a few people in the world who don't get to see PJ as much as I/we do, and hearing Alive, Even Flow or Black could make their day, month, year, LIFE!

amen sister. i've seen pearl jam play once - 11 and a half years ago. i'm a big fan. have been for most of my life. if i saw a "don't play black" sign/shirt/umbrella/horse head i'd shank someone. i desperately want to see it live. they didn't play it at the show i went to in wellington.
  • Options
    doompony wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:
    There are a few people in the world who don't get to see PJ as much as I/we do, and hearing Alive, Even Flow or Black could make their day, month, year, LIFE!

amen sister. i've seen pearl jam play once - 11 and a half years ago. i'm a big fan. have been for most of my life. if i saw a "don't play black" sign/shirt/umbrella/horse head i'd shank someone. i desperately want to see it live. they didn't play it at the show i went to in wellington.

Hahaha...I hope I don't sit next to you. ;)

I agree, the band needs to play whatever keeps them energized and engaged on stage. I also think it's nice for fans that don't get to see them often to hear Alive especially, but evenflow et al as well.

But as far as Black goes...it was once my favorite Pearl Jam song. I do not like it live....it's a set killer, such all the air out of the room. In fact, I rarely listen to Black anymore since it's vibe has killed the mood at some concerts. So, while I don't like it and it kills the mood for me for a bit, if they want to play it mroe power to them, it's their choice. Ansd I know that somewhere in that room someone is hearing it for the first time and enjoying the hell out it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I really enjoyed hearing Black in Chicago... After listening to it emotionally for such a long time, I heard it in a new light. If you are still hurting from the relationship that Black makes you think about, then it will bring those kind of sad, longing, emotions within you. But if you have moved on from the relationship, formed a new one, or are on good terms with that person who you used to feel sad about, then you may not feel sad, etc. during Black.. THis was my case, and it was really fun to sing along and listen to the song feeling new emotions..
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    i just can't imagine NOT being moved by it... black's been my favourite song for 15 years...i was a kid when i first heard it...now i'm a childish adult... and i'll chuck a tanty if it's not played. hee.