Options

Any Pearl Jam Catholics?...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    Vs wrote:
    to the conclusion that the religion (all the religions) are human handmade, to not confuse with the existence of god.

That’s how I feel thou I’d like to add this…….

Because they are human made, they’ll always have a level of corruption to them, in my opinion.

Do you have to have religion to be spiritual and do right by people? No.

I get the feeling Ed is VERY spiritual.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    I was brought up Catholic and have not had anything to do with it in about 35 years. I think it is funny that the current Pope was a member of Hitler youth as a boy, especially given the Vatican's do-nothing stand on the Holocaust during World War II. I remember being in fear of Priests when I was a young child and now I have to laugh every time I see one.
    Yes, the Catholic Church does do charitable work, but, for every dollar they spend on charity, they spend ten dollars on anti abortion rights, anti gay rights, and defending pedophile priests. Their dogma is outdated about 1500 years.
  • Options
    sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    demetrios wrote:
    i'm greek orthodox. we are all on the same boat of christianity, right? :|

I'm Greek orthodox as well. And yes, we are Christians.
    But I feel like Greeks are like the "leftists" of Catholicism.
    I'm very open to other religions. Very interested in "Buddhism'' (as a philosophy). They're similar.
    Never cared about Pearl Jam's religion, personally, because they (being the band) seem to have big hearts.
    (A Greek priest has absolved my guilt ((me not being a church goer)) by saying.. "Daphne... it's what's in your heart")
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    What happened to accepting others regardless of where they stand on the issues? I grew up Catholic, but am no longer religious, although I am spiritual. I guess I can't understand why anyone would let a religious view or pro-choice views get in the way of the music. Can't we just accept and tolerate people for who they are?
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    I was brought up Catholic and have not had anything to do with it in about 35 years. I think it is funny that the current Pope was a member of Hitler youth as a boy, especially given the Vatican's do-nothing stand on the Holocaust during World War II. I remember being in fear of Priests when I was a young child and now I have to laugh every time I see one.
    Yes, the Catholic Church does do charitable work, but, for every dollar they spend on charity, they spend ten dollars on anti abortion rights, anti gay rights, and defending pedophile priests. Their dogma is outdated about 1500 years.
    Come on now. Catholicism is only about 100 years out of date. That said, humans are typically stupid creatures who believe anything that a perceived authority figure tells them. Helps keep the species going.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I think it is the Catholic priests molesting the little boys and girls of their congregation, and the Catholic Church's attempts at covering the allegations up for many many years is one of the biggest things I have against the Catholic church.

And the fact that every organized religion thinks their beliefs are the right ones, also makes me chuckle and am glad I no longer subscribe to an organized religion.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,072
    sagapo1 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    i'm greek orthodox. we are all on the same boat of christianity, right? :|

I'm Greek orthodox as well. And yes, we are Christians.
    But I feel like Greeks are like the "leftists" of Catholicism.
    I'm very open to other religions. Very interested in "Buddhism'' (as a philosophy). They're similar.
    Never cared about Pearl Jam's religion, personally, because they (being the band) seem to have big hearts.
    (A Greek priest has absolved my guilt ((me not being a church goer)) by saying.. "Daphne... it's what's in your heart")

same with me. i've missed alot of sunday services. my line of work is very busy during the weekends.
    i do pray in the mornings, during lunch, during supper & at nights. and times i pray that i'm sorry i can't make the service. the heart will alway's be there. just like what i've been doing in the pearl jam community for many, many year's. and i'll continue doing what i love. and nobody, is gonna take that away from me. nobody!
  • Options
    Bearclaw53Bearclaw53 Dallas, TX Posts: 62
    I think you meant to say "he is actually way off base on many of his views WHEN COMPARED TO MINE."

I'm a baptist and a hugh Pearl Jam fan.

I feel that it's Eddie that thinks people are way off base when their views are different from his. At just about every concert I've been to, he has thanked the audience for having a conversation, even though it was a one way street conversation. Anytime he has encouraged fans to "get out and vote", it was after 20 anti-Bush rants throughout the concert. If I were to get up on stage with him and debate Bush and religion, I'm sure he would say I'm way off base because I don't agree with him.

I'm not trying to bash Ed. He's got his opinions, and I got mine. I just think he shouldn't assume everyone at the concert shares his opinions.

Like someone posted earlier: Baptist is my religion, Pearl Jam is my music.

There are some songs of PJ I really love and can relate to, and there are songs that I skip over because I don't relate to it.

The reason I got into Pearl Jam is because they are one of the last true rock bands. Excellent musicians, and Vedder is a inspiring songwriter. I'm very confident in what I believe in, so whatever Vedder says won't shake my faith or change my vote.

+1. But I will add I found refreshing Ed's comment to the guy on Storytellers who asked him if he realized how many Republican PJ fans there are! I just block out the political statements and allow myself to love the music. I just hope the lyrics don't become more political over time.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,306
    Given the Pope visiting the U.S.....any pearl jam fans that are catholics? If so, how does some of Eddie's anti-religion views affect you?
    EDDIE IS THE SINGER OF MY FAVORITE BAND,,IM AN ORTHODOX,,I REALLY DONT CARE WHAT HE SAYS ABOUT RELIGION,,,I WANT FROM HIM TO SING MY FAVORITES SONGS,,IF HE DO THAT,,ALL OK BY ME...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,072
    Given the Pope visiting the U.S.....any pearl jam fans that are catholics? If so, how does some of Eddie's anti-religion views affect you?
    EDDIE IS THE SINGER OF MY FAVORITE BAND,,IM AN ORTHODOX,,I REALLY DONT CARE WHAT HE SAYS ABOUT RELIGION,,,I WANT FROM HIM TO SING MY FAVORITES SONGS,,IF HE DO THAT,,ALL OK BY ME...

right on! though i heard his favorite greek soccor team was aek. way better then those olympiakos & panathinaikos teams! :P