Options

Any Pearl Jam Catholics?...

sometimes80sometimes80 Posts: 25
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Given the Pope visiting the U.S.....any pearl jam fans that are catholics? If so, how does some of Eddie's anti-religion views affect you?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm a Pearl Jam fan. I am a Catholic. Eddie's views do not affect me.
    I was there...
    PJ - 8/15/2000, 4/23/2003, 6/18/2003, 10/3/2004, 9/11/2005, 6/30/2006, 8/5/2007, 8/23/2009, 8/24/2009, 5/3/2010, 5/4/2010, 9/4/2011, 7/19/2013, 10/3/2014, 10/17/2014, 10/19/2014, 10/20/2014, 4/16/2016, 8/7/2016, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, 6/18/18, 6/24/18, 6/26/18, 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/1/22, 9/3/22, 8/31/23, 9/2/23, 9/5/23, 9/7/23, 9/13/23, 9/15/23, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
    EV - 11/30/2012, 12/1/2012, 2/10/22, 10/7/22
    Sox - 10/22/2005, 10/23/2005, 9/30/2008, 7/23/2009
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    No persons views affect my views. I never did get that although I agree with EV on most all things.

Am i the only one who finds Bill Mahrer disturbing?
  • Options
    actually, even though i disagree with the majority of what bill maher says i love watching his show...it's mainly his show i like. oh yeah, the catholic church is evil....sure. those things they tell people to do....help others out...preserve the sanctity of life...do to others as you want done to you...help out those in need. oh yeah, they're evil alright. the fact that my uncle is getting his chemo paid for by a catholic charity and he's not even catholic cause he's in need. oh yeah, they're evil alright.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Ed says many, many things I don't agree with. But PJ's music kicks major ass, so all is forgiven.

- "I am a Catholic, and I approve of this message"
  • Options
    i despise mahrer hes so full of himself. He always loads guests with liberal leanings.
    In the history of mankind I would say the only hting more people have died for than religion is disease. so it is the second leading cause of death ever. Organized religion.
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Yes.....Does not bother me at all
  • Options
    NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Eddie Vedder is not my religion, Catholicism is.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    ....moreover, personally eddie's views don't affect me. also, they don't affect my affection for him. i love his angst, passion, sarcastic nature, and such, however he's full of contradictions. why was he never complaining about afghanistan's treatment of women....or iraq's torture of its citizens....the iraq olympians getting executed if they lose a soccer match....the iraq people getting mass executed by a leader. i mean does he not acknowledge that? i mean the whole entire "iraq war" has been a complete blunder and fuckup. but it's not like the sadam was a fucking saint. i mean you can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Born ctholic, raised to be a human. Now grown up and not really religious!

Don´t know what Ed has said but it surely couldn´offend me.

Called freedom of speech!
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Not a Catholic, but appreciate a lot of them that actually practice it. However, the whole birth control thing drives me nuts. We will be Mexico before you know it. Also, Bill Maher is an asshole.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Im Catholic

Eddies views on Jesus matter to me about as much as Jesus's views on Eddie.

I love Jesus - Hopefully Eddie will too someday
  • Options
    i don't easily get offended by ed either. but there are at times, mainly at shows, when he takes it too far. it's like in an effort to sound "elitist" (hate to use that word, considering it's being overused right now) or even to profess his own views he has to not only put down organized religion but make fun of its followers. i mean he just can't go down the middle sometimes, he always has to take it to the extreme or the other end.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    i don't easily get offended by ed either. but there are at times, mainly at shows, when he takes it too far. it's like in an effort to sound "elitist" (hate to use that word, considering it's being overused right now) or even to profess his own views he has to not only put down organized religion but make fun of its followers. i mean he just can't go down the middle sometimes, he always has to take it to the extreme or the other end.
    agreed. He is actually way off base on many of his views.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    agreed. He is actually way off base on many of his views.

I think you meant to say "he is actually way off base on many of his views WHEN COMPARED TO MINE."

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    I'm catholic, but I don't go to church or anything. I kind of agree with Eddie, actually.
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    I was raised catholic but am now an agnostic. Bill Maher is brilliant and I agree with pretty much all of his libertarian views.
  • Options
    Yes, I am a Catholic. I was even an alter boy, never got touched. To think of it the girls did not look either. Ed has his own voice, let him speak, that is what makes America great. In other places we would not be permitted to speak freely or be a Catholic. :) SMILE EDDIE LOVES YOU!
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    i dont need religion :):)

i have pearl jam :)

i love ed

i'd do anything for him he is my god :D:D
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    Given the Pope visiting the U.S.....any pearl jam fans that are catholics? If so, how does some of Eddie's anti-religion views affect you?

To each their own..
    I am catholic and do not plan on trying to change everyones mind or convert them if you will. I listing to PJ or ED now for the music only really don't care what they believe in or who they vote for. My mind is mine and the choices I make are mine.

Never really been a follower....
  • Options
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Eddie Vedder is not my religion, Catholicism is.

Catholicism is not my religion. Eddie Vedder is.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever had thier opinions affected by what a singer or actor said?
    I give EV much credit he believes what he believes and he feels on some levels it is a duty to say some of what he says. I even get mad when he is heckled at his speeches. But I am not going to change my opinion because he says it or if Sean Penn says it. I am guessing he is just trying to make you think a little.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I'm Catholic, but I dislike my religion.

I don't agree with what is taught in Catholicism vs. some other forms of Christianity.

That being said, I have not set foot in a Catholic church since well after my confirmation... and I've only attended other churches to test out new forms of Christianity... it is kind of fun to see how other people practice but most are not for me.

I don't know how I feel about God and other religions, but I tend to keep good faith and practice in my own way, mainly because I find that most religions are so tied up in internal politics that they lose the meaning of what they are there for in the first place and I cannot be a part of something like that.... kind of like some of the people on this board (cheap shot!)

Anyway, I don't think choosing a religion should feel like a multiple choice question that you don't know the answer to, I don't understand why there are so many sects of Christianity and how you tell which one is the right one... which is why, like I said before I practice quietly in my own way. I also think it's stupid that most families expect their children to follow them in the their religion and not make a choice for themselves... I was raised Catholic, didn't know what it meant to be Catholic, now I do and hate it... and wish I was never born into a religion... it sucks.

I could talk forever about this... but I'm sure I've bored everyone already.
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    I'm a Catholic. Ed can be extreme, but there is honesty in his extremity. He definitely focuses more on the negative aspects of organized religion, and believes that the religion itself is the cause-- without it, you wouldn't have these people who claim to love a certain God and do horrible things in his name. That's where I disagree.

STUPID, OR IGNORANT PEOPLE who belong to organized religions, and do not understand their faith are the people who mess it up for everyone. There are too many out there that wave a cross, or another religious symbol around, wear it on their sleeves, and don't behave according to the actual beliefs of their religion, and tout it like it's the only way to live!

If you want people to be more like you and what you believe, act by example! Don't force feed it on other people! Do unto others, etc...

The problems in the (Roman Catholic) Church are believe it or not, are all caused by problems in FAITH. The child molestation thing had been going on forever-- it was error in judgement, and ultimately lack of faith that led to the bad priests being protected. Why keep them around? A shortage of priests? Were they hoping for these priests to be healed? The problem should have been acknowledged from the first wrongdoing, snuffed out, and reparations made. FAITH would have you believe that increase in vocations would simply come from prayer, and acting according to God's will-- Recognizing sin and doing penance for it.

As the Vatican or any religious institution is run by man, it will always be flawed, but that doesn't mean that their fundamental guidelines aren't a pretty damn good guide to living life! At the core of things, I truly believe that the teachings of Jesus through Catholicism is the best route to peace among all people-- If only people would actually try to follow them!

So my thing is, if you're going to claim a faith, you have to know something about it, especially before you go "preaching" to people.

So I think that's what Ed, and most people hate about organized religion, and I hate it as well. I don't think the institution is to blame-- the pseudo-followers are #1 to blame, and the leaders could be doing a better job. I think after all the scandal, that the Catholic Church in particular is trying very hard to reform and get back to what they truly believe.
  • Options
    Gen5Gen5 Posts: 405

I don't agree with what is taught in Catholicism vs. some other forms of Christianity.

That being said, I have not set foot in a Catholic church since well after my confirmation... and I've only attended other churches to test out new forms of Christianity... it is kind of fun to see how other people practice but most are not for me.

I don't know how I feel about God and other religions, but I tend to keep good faith and practice in my own way, mainly because I find that most religions are so tied up in internal politics that they lose the meaning of what they are there for in the first place and I cannot be a part of something like that.... kind of like some of the people on this board (cheap shot!)

Anyway, I don't think choosing a religion should feel like a multiple choice question that you don't know the answer to, I don't understand why there are so many sects of Christianity and how you tell which one is the right one... which is why, like I said before I practice quietly in my own way. I also think it's stupid that most families expect their children to follow them in the their religion and not make a choice for themselves... I was raised Catholic, didn't know what it meant to be Catholic, now I do and hate it... and wish I was never born into a religion... it sucks.

Didn't bore me.....I agree with you....although I don't hate being born Catholic, I take it for what it was but I agree with what you say....most "organized religions" have lost sight of what we are really supposed to do.....love....
    ~~Rain Love~~

www.myspace.com/poworgen5

www.generationFIVE.org
  • Options
    LOL

It's getting hot in hear!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Does non-practicing count?! LOL :D
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    bad catholic here
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options

why are you so preocupied with the fact that you were "born" into being catholic. so what? im going to raise my child catholic and if they change religions when they get older, more power to them, as long as it's not some wierd ass cult or something. being born into a religions doesn't mean anything besides the fact that that's what you're exposed to. if you change religions then you're no longer catholic...simple as that.
  • Options
    IT's getting hot in hear!!!!!!!!!