Options

mitchell list with the names here

Comments

• Options
    Regardless of reports what people said yadda yadda

With your own eyes as a Sports fan watching him pitch you can honestly say you don't think he took anything ?

A power pitcher pitching until he is what 45 I think ?

Putting up sick numbers after the age of 35-40 ?

Yeah, I've thought it. I've thought it about a hundred guys. My problem is that he was named in the report with no evidence other than the word of a guy with zero credibility. He hasn't really been much of a power pitcher though. The last few years I think his fastball topped out around 90-92, and was normally around 88. he benefitted more by pitching in the weaker National league for a few years. It's not his success that made me suspect him, though. It's more the physical breakdowns he seemed to suffer through annually.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've thought it. I've thought it about a hundred guys. My problem is that he was named in the report with no evidence other than the word of a guy with zero credibility. He hasn't really been much of a power pitcher though. The last few years I think his fastball topped out around 90-92, and was normally around 88. he benefitted more by pitching in the weaker National league for a few years. It's not his success that made me suspect him, though. It's more the physical breakdowns he seemed to suffer through annually.

Like you said the break downs and pitching so long

Most guys at age 35-40 are done or become junk ballers or pitch in limited rolls

He seemed to excel and get much bigger physically
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I'm very surprised to see Mo Vaughn's name in there.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    LongRd. wrote:
    I'm very surprised to see Mo Vaughn's name in there.

he probably took it to recover quicker from various injuries as he was injured alot towards the end of his career, and that is one of the most frequent uses for taking steroids.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    It's not his success that made me suspect him, though. It's more the physical breakdowns he seemed to suffer through annually.
    Plus his half season schedule, allowing him ample time to cycle before having to report and possibly be tested.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Are we still talking about Clemens? Maybe that pig fucker will sue baseball and that other dude..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I won't "just accept it", not without proof. McNamee's word is worthless. I'd be the first guy to proclaim Clemens a fraud if anything were proven. I could tell everyone on this board that I injected The Champ with every steroid known to man, and a few not known to man. It's my word against yours. And now it's up to you to prove that I didn't. Go ahead, prove I didn't

It's too late I already injected myself with every steroid known to man. In fact, I would even inject rat poo if someone told me that i'd gain an extra edge and/or it enlarged my penis. Maybe you're the kind of person that believes Justice didn't do it because he was afraid of needles..haha..I feel bad for Pettitte for some odd reason though..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I thought you were being sarcastic, but since there really isn't a reason, I wasn't having a hard time figuring that one out. Care to explain?

Look at the man's resume. No one of 'importance' questions his credibilty in this matter. Maybe i'm wrong about this, but I haven't heard any different, aside from some annoying and disgruntalled fans..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Look at the man's resume. No one of 'importance' questions his credibilty in this matter. Maybe i'm wrong about this, but I haven't heard any different, aside from some annoying and disgruntalled fans..

Well then we agree. I apologize that I misunderstood your comment.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

Do you think it's appropriate that Selig hired his best friend to investigate the matter, when part of the investigation requires looking into Selig himself? Keep in mind that Mitchell is the director of the Red Sox, and there is much controversy over how this particular ownership group came to take control of the team. One could easily make a case that Mitchell "owes" Selig. When The Red Sox went up for sale, there were bids for substantially more money than the "Henry bid". Yet Selig managed to have the Sox sold to the lowest bidder, John Henry and co, including George Mitchell. This whole thing stinks. If a truly independent investigator were hired, I can guarantee you there would be more of an onus put on Selig as commssioner, as well as all owners (Which of course includes Bud Selig, a sowner of the Brewers)
  • Options
    Do you think it's appropriate that Selig hired his best friend to investigate the matter, when part of the investigation requires looking into Selig himself? Keep in mind that Mitchell is the director of the Red Sox, and there is much controversy over how this particular ownership group came to take control of the team. One could easily make a case that Mitchell "owes" Selig. When The Red Sox went up for sale, there were bids for substantially more money than the "Henry bid". Yet Selig managed to have the Sox sold to the lowest bidder, John Henry and co, including George Mitchell. This whole thing stinks. If a truly independent investigator were hired, I can guarantee you there would be more of an onus put on Selig as commssioner, as well as all owners (Which of course includes Bud Selig, a sowner of the Brewers)

I understand what you are saying, but it's hard for me to believe that Mitchell would jeopardize and/or minimize everything he as accomplished in this world over something like this. Many feel like I do, but you are definitely entitled to your opinion..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I just think a truly independent guy should have been hired. By hiring a friend and a director of a team, Selig put this whole thing under a cloud of suspicion before it even started
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    another thing with clemens is not his performance but behavior. wouldn't it be possible that the two incidents with piazza in 2000 (when the report says he started up again) be related to being on the juice?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    another thing with clemens is not his performance but behavior. wouldn't it be possible that the two incidents with piazza in 2000 (when the report says he started up again) be related to being on the juice?

You lika da juice?

http://www.hubsrestaurant.com/snl/
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    The Piazza stuff in 200 had nothing to do with steroids. That's like saying every incident in sports or anything for that matter, was because of steroids. "OJ killed his wife cuz he was on R.O.I.D.S. man"

Not true. Anyone who has played a sport in at the earliest, high school, can tell you that it's intense and stuff just happens, it doesn't matter what you're taking.

Also, for Clemens and Pettitte. About 3 or 4 years ago ESPN (or maybe it was YES Network) did a huge segement on their work out regimen. People seem to forget that these two guys spent entire years working out harder than anyone could even imagine. You ever watch the Navy S.E.A.L. stuff on the Discovery channel? Their workouts were similar. I remember Andy was mad that Roger was getting up earlier and more refreshed at the age of 40 (or whatever). Then they had to do like 8 hours of pure strength training and then running, EVERY DAY IN THE OFF SEASON!

Idk, but it was crazy. Who the hell would put this shit into their body after going crazy shaping yourself? It doesn't make sense. I mean, after all of this conditioning, a smart person wouldn't need to touch that stuff, and if they did they wouldn't go through THAT intense of a workout.

Until I hear it from Clemens or Pettitte I will not believe a word of it. This report is hearsay from people trying to get out of trouble.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    Also, for Clemens and Pettitte. About 3 or 4 years ago ESPN (or maybe it was YES Network) did a huge segement on their work out regimen. People seem to forget that these two guys spent entire years working out harder than anyone could even imagine. You ever watch the Navy S.E.A.L. stuff on the Discovery channel? Their workouts were similar. I remember Andy was mad that Roger was getting up earlier and more refreshed at the age of 40 (or whatever). Then they had to do like 8 hours of pure strength training and then running, EVERY DAY IN THE OFF SEASON!

not to be argumentative, but...are you from new york?
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:
    not to be argumentative, but...are you from new york?

No.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    this is probably the only time you'll ever hear me say these words:

i agree with dan shaughnessy. :eek:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/14/tainted_gloves/
    Why name names? Why sign on to such an obviously incomplete report (Mitchell did not have subpoena powers and almost 100 percent of the ballplayers told him to take a hike)? Why put so much weight on the testimony of a former bat boy and a onetime trainer who cooperated under the threat of prison time?
    Mitchell again arrogantly dismissed his obvious conflict of interest by citing his good works and his efforts brokering peace in Northern Ireland. It's astounding that a man as smart as Mitchell can so easily shrug off his compromised position. He either has a blind spot or he thinks his audience is stupid. The man is the official "director" of the Red Sox and he just issued a report that trashes some Yankee gods while leaving the championship Red Sox unscathed (Mo Vaughn played here in the pre-Mitchell era, Eric Gagné was dirty as a Dodger, and who cares about Mike Lansing?). Mitchell's reputation is impeccable, but he had no business holding his Red Sox title while conducting this investigation.
  • Options
    Well, Pettitte has stepped up and admitted to it, which just even further validates everything McNamee said.

Maybe Clemens will own up and be a man next.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-pettitte-hghadmission&prov=ap&type=lgns
  • Options
    this is probably the only time you'll ever hear me say these words:

i agree with dan shaughnessy. :eek:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/14/tainted_gloves/

did he really hold the trophy? Partake in the celebration?
  • Options
    One of the things that strikes me about the report is that there seems to be a good amount of evidence against 80 players coming from 2 distributors! Imagine the number of guys who will go down when they start to bust more of the distributors.

I think Clemens is now guilty by association with the admission by Pettite. I guarantee that if Pettite was doing it, his good friend Clemens did also. It also shows that McNamee does have some credibility and isnt just making up accusations as some of you are suggesting.

I can see how a finesse pitcher like Maddux could keep it up over the years, but there's no way a power pitcher like Clemens could stay successful at his age. If there was ever any doubt in the first place, this puts Maddux above and beyond any other pitcher in this era.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    i'd guess that some of the players from the midwestern cities might start to get named if and when that happens.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Well, Pettitte has stepped up and admitted to it, which just even further validates everything McNamee said.

Maybe Clemens will own up and be a man next.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-pettitte-hghadmission&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wow, I guess that's that....How could Clemens dance around this? Now that Pettitte said he took it for whatever reason..That's it, it's over..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I still wouldn't go that far. I understand I maybe the 17 year old who still believes in Santa at this point....but I don't think you can say with certainty that Clemens juiced. And that's coming from a guy who thinks Clemens probably did it. And I agree that Pettitte's admission hurt Roger. But 1 + 1 does not equal 3 here
  • Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    Gimme a break about that. I'm too drunk/lazy to look up the stats, but Rocket got better in his late-30s/early-40s than he ever was before then. He was washed up his last couple years in Boston and he miraculously finds the fountain of youth in Toronto? I'm just pissed the Pirates didn't have more guys juicing. Maybe they wouldn't be killing me with a 15-year losing streak! Sports are dirty kids, whether it's redshirts cheating on tests, pros loading up on pharms or owners holding cities hostage. Life is sport. Take that for what it's worth.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Options
    i'd guess that some of the players from the midwestern cities might start to get named if and when that happens.

Yep. I mean no Sammy mention at all? I'm a Cubs fan and even I was shocked not to see Sosa or Prior on the list. I guess only time will tell if the feds are able to find more of these distributors.

It shouldn't be all that hard. I remember when Sosa was playing for the Cubs he had some kind of clubhouse "friend" that sounds very similar to this McNamee guy. I'm guessing if he was brought in for questioning, they might turn up something.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    I still wouldn't go that far. I understand I maybe the 17 year old who still believes in Santa at this point....but I don't think you can say with certainty that Clemens juiced. And that's coming from a guy who thinks Clemens probably did it. And I agree that Pettitte's admission hurt Roger. But 1 + 1 does not equal 3 here

Come on man. It might not hold up in court but you have to be blind to not know he was on the roids. Do you also not believe that Bonds was juicing since you have his word that he never did knowingly?

It seems like Clemens is almost a mentor to Petitte, so I can easily see Petitte going to Clemens for advice and getting referred to his roids supplier McNamee. I really respect Petitte for coming clean, Clemens can keep his head in the sand all he wants, but as far as I'm concerned he's guilty as charged.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    this shit is getting ridiculous. the guy on espn was just comparing this to african apartheid and the northern ireland peace talks. get the fuck over yourselves. it's a fucking sport, a goddamn game. drawing parallels to slavery and prejudice is fucking ridiculous and sick.
  • Options
    glad i missed that, more nonsense from espn. but i agree with you comparing a sport to those things is absurd.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    this shit is getting ridiculous. the guy on espn was just comparing this to african apartheid and the northern ireland peace talks. get the fuck over yourselves. it's a fucking sport, a goddamn game. drawing parallels to slavery and prejudice is fucking ridiculous and sick.

Where they talking Mitchell's work in the Senate or something? I know he was involved in the Irish peace talks. Surely ESPN insn't that ridiculous, especially after they probably crushed Nick Saban for his boneheaded 9/11 references after a loss.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley