Options

How to Trick a Christian

Comments

• Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    Jesus was the pearl jam of his time.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    NOW we're back on topic. ;):p

she forgot to add "Christ!!!!!" :D after all his full name is Jesus Christ
  • Options
    NOW we're back on topic. ;):p
    :D he was a pretty decent fella
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    :D he was a pretty decent fella

i agree :) if it he was definitely real :p he was helpful, kind person
  • Options
    I saw a guy wearing a shirt at the mall last week that said...

JESUS

Protect me from your followers

I told him that pretty much summed up my feelings. Christ was a great man, but the translation has de-evolved in my own little humble opinion.
    the Minions
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    but isn't that what bible says to you guys/girls?

every sunday morning preacher tells Christians on how to live their life, and don't try to disapprove of these i've been to a Catholic church, so i know. and yes it does say you will go to hell

Firstly, Jesus asked us to be kind, compassionate and hospitable.. but he also made discernments about WHO to be so with..

The pool of Bethesda was a large pool outside of the Temple where beggars and blinds used to wait and beg for money regularly. It was a well-known hotspot. Jesus would've walked past this pool very regularly, yet, according to the Bible, only ONCE did he stop and restore a blind person's sight. A lot of people would've been passed by by him.

Similarly, when asked by someone whether helping the poor was more important than going to visit a sick child, he said 'The poor you'll always have with you...' i.e. This isn't the time to worry about the poor... they're everywhere, worry about them later.

It's a more complex situation than most want to think.

Secondly, what IS Hell, anyway? Most people assume that all Christians believe in the fire and brimstone vision of hell that we can thank Dante for. We don't. I don't, anyway. I am an annihilationist who believes that after death, if one does not believe in God, they just die... go into nothingness and decompose... which is far closer to the atheist view and, incidentally, to the Jewish understanding from which my faith comes from. I don't believe a loving God would've CREATED a mechanism to punish or hurt humanity. That sounds pretty blasphemous to me.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    mookie9999 wrote:
    This is me:

http://www.weddleton.com/CC/images/Homeless/HomlessNeedHelpS.jpg

You can send all donations care of:

Fill Mookie9999's Empty Pockets
    Penn Station 3rd Bench From The Left On The #2 Train Platform (Downtown)
    New York NY 10001.

when you're burning in hell, i'm going to roast my marshmallow on you.

because i'll be in hell, too.....for worse things......and i'll need a snack.
  • Options
    i don't believe in panhandling whatsoever..... although i will give money or spare change if i see the person is in serious dire need. other than that... i carry cards.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    My husband works in the downtown area of our city. It is full of homeless people begging for money. One day he saw a very dirty looking woman shaking a styrophom cup of change as he walked into a building for a meeting. On his way out he stopped at the concession area and bought her a sandwich and a drink. When he presented it to her she slapped it out of his hands and said
    "I don't want your fuckin food. Give me money"!!!

Which is why we only give money to charities we know will help people who are actually in need.
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • Options
    Religion Sucks...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    ajedigecko wrote:
    Jesus was the pearl jam of his time.

In the beginning, there was "Ten".

Are you saying that 2000 years from now, a civilization is going to base its moral tendancies on the extensive Pearl Jam catalog?

Instead of church on Sunday, we can worship by getting drunk every Friday and listening to music.

Can we be apostles? I want to be someone whose gospel gets rejected and then many years later gets discovered and then everyone will call into question the divinity of Stone (he likes rap so he must be mortal).
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    Is every PJ fan atheist? Good. More room for me in Heaven;)
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    In the beginning, there was "Ten".

Are you saying that 2000 years from now, a civilization is going to base its moral tendancies on the extensive Pearl Jam catalog?

Instead of church on Sunday, we can worship by getting drunk every Friday and listening to music.

Can we be apostles? I want to be someone whose gospel gets rejected and then many years later gets discovered and then everyone will call into question the divinity of Stone (he likes rap so he must be mortal).
    no.

by the way......i still smile when i read your signature.
  • Options
    cory wrote:
    no.
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    when you're burning in hell, i'm going to roast my marshmallow on you.

because i'll be in hell, too.....for worse things......and i'll need a snack.

I found this to be quite funny. Nice work microscopic username person.

• Options
    My husband works in the downtown area of our city. It is full of homeless people begging for money. One day he saw a very dirty looking woman shaking a styrophom cup of change as he walked into a building for a meeting. On his way out he stopped at the concession area and bought her a sandwich and a drink. When he presented it to her she slapped it out of his hands and said

Which is why we only give money to charities we know will help people who are actually in need.

oh my god :eek: i'm speechless
  • Options
    i came here thinking this thread was going to be closed by now. but it isn't, which is good! cause i wanted to add few things i didn't say before

first i'd like to comment on the story again.

Frank the guy in question, was older man. And i know that older men, don't change their mind so easily especially to a young guy like OP ( i'm assuming you are younger than him, but i don't know how young ).
    In the beginning of a story Frank passed a judgement on the guy, he didn't just drove past without saying anything he actually said his point of view on the guy. Therefore he had his mind made up already, and then after the OP tells him that they guy can be Jesus, he quickly changes his mind?!
    I find it hard to believe that a person who's already made his mind up to re-think about this situation in a matter of seconds!!
    and also another factor that bugs, is this, did he change his mind only because he thought the guy might have been Jesus, so if he knew for sure that traveller wasn't a Jesus, then he wouldn't have given him any money? :rolleyes: hmmm..
    I said it before and i'm going to say it again, i think your friend Frank acted like a prick. I don't think it was guilty, i just find it very hard to believe. He felt ashamed of himself, because:
    here you are an Atheist helping a guy out, and here he is a Baptist, and does fuck all to help the guy. He was ashamed infront of YOU, he was ashamed to look bad in YOUR eyes.
    now if you disagree with it all, give me some solid proof to state otherwise.

and the other thing i wanted to say is:

why is it that everytime somone hates someone else/something he/she gets to be called ignorant. also gets to be belittled, and made out to be stupid??
    learning and understanding something those people hate doesn't mean they're going to change their mind.....in fact it might reinstate their beliefs

and to the person who said "you are kill-joys"

well, what should we do? is a message board isn't it? some people like to joke, and some people like to DEBATE

hehe

ok, go ahead people hate me know :D
  • Options
    Firstly, Jesus asked us to be kind, compassionate and hospitable.. but he also made discernments about WHO to be so with..

The pool of Bethesda was a large pool outside of the Temple where beggars and blinds used to wait and beg for money regularly. It was a well-known hotspot. Jesus would've walked past this pool very regularly, yet, according to the Bible, only ONCE did he stop and restore a blind person's sight. A lot of people would've been passed by by him.

Similarly, when asked by someone whether helping the poor was more important than going to visit a sick child, he said 'The poor you'll always have with you...' i.e. This isn't the time to worry about the poor... they're everywhere, worry about them later.

It's a more complex situation than most want to think.

Secondly, what IS Hell, anyway? Most people assume that all Christians believe in the fire and brimstone vision of hell that we can thank Dante for. We don't. I don't, anyway. I am an annihilationist who believes that after death, if one does not believe in God, they just die... go into nothingness and decompose... which is far closer to the atheist view and, incidentally, to the Jewish understanding from which my faith comes from. I don't believe a loving God would've CREATED a mechanism to punish or hurt humanity. That sounds pretty blasphemous to me.

erm...alright. I'm glad you think this way. and i will of course have to agree with you on this one "if one does not believe in God, they just die... go into nothingness and decompose..."
    :)
  • Options

Yep, unfortunately, there are ignorant people amongst the homeless too :(

Sad that a cow like that could make things worse for people who would appreciate the food :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    cory wrote:

No.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    genie wrote:
    erm...alright. I'm glad you think this way. and i will of course have to agree with you on this one "if one does not believe in God, they just die... go into nothingness and decompose..."
    :)

A significant amount of Christians believe this, but still we all tend to get lumped into the same 'hell fire and brimstone' category.

• Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I thouht u were teling a joke :( Good storuy though
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    i came here thinking this thread was going to be closed by now. but it isn't, which is good! cause i wanted to add few things i didn't say before

first i'd like to comment on the story again.

Frank the guy in question, was older man. And i know that older men, don't change their mind so easily especially to a young guy like OP ( i'm assuming you are younger than him, but i don't know how young ).
    In the beginning of a story Frank passed a judgement on the guy, he didn't just drove past without saying anything he actually said his point of view on the guy. Therefore he had his mind made up already, and then after the OP tells him that they guy can be Jesus, he quickly changes his mind?!
    I find it hard to believe that a person who's already made his mind up to re-think about this situation in a matter of seconds!!
    and also another factor that bugs, is this, did he change his mind only because he thought the guy might have been Jesus, so if he knew for sure that traveller wasn't a Jesus, then he wouldn't have given him any money? :rolleyes: hmmm..
    I said it before and i'm going to say it again, i think your friend Frank acted like a prick. I don't think it was guilty, i just find it very hard to believe. He felt ashamed of himself, because:
    here you are an Atheist helping a guy out, and here he is a Baptist, and does fuck all to help the guy. He was ashamed infront of YOU, he was ashamed to look bad in YOUR eyes.
    now if you disagree with it all, give me some solid proof to state otherwise.

and the other thing i wanted to say is:

why is it that everytime somone hates someone else/something he/she gets to be called ignorant. also gets to be belittled, and made out to be stupid??
    learning and understanding something those people hate doesn't mean they're going to change their mind.....in fact it might reinstate their beliefs

and to the person who said "you are kill-joys"

well, what should we do? is a message board isn't it? some people like to joke, and some people like to DEBATE

hehe

ok, go ahead people hate me know :D

Good points

I've worked along side Frank for several years and while I can't speak for him entirely he's a salt of the earth type guy. He has his opinions and is never afraid to share them. I go along with him sometimes for the sake of not arguing.

He sorta has 2 worlds he lives in (maybe more) and I'm sure most of us can relate.

You know... there's the world you are in and there's the world where you are in the company of others and you might act a little different because this other world has different morals or values and you are akin to prescribing to respect them.

Frank's religious background sometimes conflicts with his other environmental variables. Frank was in Vietnam so there's a huge part of his life that causes him pain. It's touchy with him there.

His instincts are cautious, his beliefs are genuine though.
    I can get Frank stirred and he knows how to push my buttons as well.

Some may say it's a game we all play with each other (or a trick as I referred to) but really it's just coping mechanisms we have all learned as we have grown.

Sometimes we get sidetracked by religion, politics, or even sports or hobbies for that matter.

This is why I always believe developing relationships is vital. We especially need to develop relationships with those we don't understand or have maybe errantly passed judgment on if it is possible.
    the Minions
  • Options
    No.

Oh.

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    cory wrote:
    Oh.

Go.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    cory wrote:
    Nice work microscopic username person.

I found this to be quite funny!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Danimal wrote:
    Go.

So.

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I found this to be quite funny!

After reading my post again, brain of c's username is the same size as the rest of us. He just types microscopically. I was in the wrong.....for the first time ever;)

• Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    This thread so belongs to a Moving Train.
  • Options
    cory wrote:
    So.

Woah!