Options

December Weight Loss Challenge

Comments

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Things are still going well. I'm not losing any more weight but the diet is still going strong. I always plateau fairly quickly but have to make myself stay motivated. Weighed in at 209.5 this morning. That's the same as I weighed in on Monday despite great dieting. No alcohol this weekend and I should drop a couple more by Monday, hopefully...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    It's been a while and I have forgotten the technical terms...

When your liver processes ANY kind of alcohol, it turns it into/releases a substance your body LOVES; something it will use for fuel before anything else. If you have a few drinks one night and go to the gym the next day, you are going to burn the alcohol-related stuff first... alcohol is much more than a calorie thing. (someone correct me if I'm wrong -- like I said, it's been a while since I've been serious about losing weight.)

If you drink 2-3 times a week, stop for a few weeks and watch the scale move. Never fails. :/ My brother stopped drinking for a month (on a bet) and he lost 12lbs without changing a single thing. Never worked out and ate the same crap every day.
    The main problem with alcohol when burning fat is this: your body looks at it as a poison that must be dealt with immediately. That means your liver halts all other functions (like the ones that aid in fat burning) and process the alcohol first until it's gone. And it takes a long time to process. In the meantime, there's no way you can burn any stored body fat. Alcohol is probably the worst thing for fat burning behind refined carbs.

It also has no nutritional value, it's the most calorie-dense thing you can take in besides fat, and it dehydrates you.
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    additionally, alcohol dehydrates you and causes you to retain water. Cut the alcohol and increase water intake, you'll lose some weight.
    Yes! Water is like magic, seriously. If you sip water all day, you'll definitely speed up fat loss. Most people think that if you drink too much water you'll get bloated, but actually it's the opposite.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    down 2 lbs to 195!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    somehow I don't think the fact that i've lost 7 pounds so far this month despite eating cookies and whatever i want to counts :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    prism wrote:
    somehow I don't think the fact that i've lost 7 pounds so far this month despite eating cookies and whatever i want to counts :)

Count them bitches..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Count them bitches..

alrighty...

knew I could count on you :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    117, no change :D
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I'm FAT! No more excuses....TODAY I'm starting!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    117, no change :D

117 and you want to lose weight? are you like 4'10''?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    I was down another pound (for a total of 3 this month) on Fri., but I've been weighing in on Mondays so I'll report again tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    117 and you want to lose weight? are you like 4'10''?

haha, no. I lost 25 lbs. this year and I want to keep it off. I'm not trying to lose anymore, but to maintain. So my December challenge is to not gain weight! :)

of course... I have oatmeal cookies in the oven right now...
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    Ok...so my "official" weigh-in was this morning, and I'm down 2.5 lbs from last week! :)

I'm down 4.5 lbs for the month. :) I'm stoked!
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    I'm making no progress at all.....we have been eating out at very fine restaurants that undo all my good eating for the rest of the week....oh well there is always the new year coming!!!

oxc

this is me. :o
    well, i've lost all of a pound thus far. i've been gaining/losing the same 5 pounds all month....too many good food/drink occasions going on. i am not usually one for tying it to the new year, but that just may be the case.

we have a BIG family party march 1st - my mom's 80th birthday - and i REALLY want to reach/be VERY close to my goal weight by then. so i will keep trying to moderate now, but definitely be *serious* come january. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    well, i've lost all of a pound thus far. i've been gaining/losing the same 5 pounds all month....too many good food/drink occasions going on. i am not usually one for tying it to the new year, but that just may be the case.

we have a BIG family party march 1st - my mom's 80th birthday - and i REALLY want to reach/be VERY close to my goal weight by then. so i will keep trying to moderate now, but definitely be *serious* come january. :)

Good you are maintaining your weight during the crazy month of eating! So pat yourself on the back, that is really GREAT! I've actually gone UP quite a few. I have April 5 set as my goal date, as I will be going to FL to be part of spreading my grandparents ashes out in the Gulf of Mexico. My mom is one of 8 kids, most of them will be there for the ceremony. Perfect time to getback in shape! I will watch what I'm eating over the next 2 weeks and join you in January getting serious!

Good luck to you D2D.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options

I have gained and lost the same 6 lbs so many times in the last year that I've lost count! :D

And I think it's totally realistic and smart to be moderate during the holiday season. When I try to be really overly strict with myself during a time like the holidays, I end up feeling "deprived" and then all of the good work comes unravelled in the space of one week! I think moderate is the way to go. :)
  • Options
    I have gained and lost the same 6 lbs so many times in the last year that I've lost count! :D

And I think it's totally realistic and smart to be moderate during the holiday season. When I try to be really overly strict with myself during a time like the holidays, I end up feeling "deprived" and then all of the good work comes unravelled in the space of one week! I think moderate is the way to go. :)

Deprived=a HUGE BINGE for me :p I'm trying to avoid that!!!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • Options
    Congratulations to all the success stories on here! Over halfway to the end of the challenge! While I won't be hitting my overall goal (175 lbs) for another couple of months (knock on wood) I hope to be down to 190 by the end of the month! Keep up the good work everybody!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Good you are maintaining your weight during the crazy month of eating! So pat yourself on the back, that is really GREAT! I've actually gone UP quite a few. I have April 5 set as my goal date, as I will be going to FL to be part of spreading my grandparents ashes out in the Gulf of Mexico. My mom is one of 8 kids, most of them will be there for the ceremony. Perfect time to getback in shape! I will watch what I'm eating over the next 2 weeks and join you in January getting serious!

Good luck to you D2D.

oxc

well i am actually DOWN a whole pound for the month. ;) haha. i really DID want to make more forward progress, but as you say....happy enough to maintain. the next 2 weeks are the *big* eating/drinking times.....4 parties this week alone! :eek: but i too agree, depriving myself does NOT work long-term.

so good luck to us ALL! :D
    I have gained and lost the same 6 lbs so many times in the last year that I've lost count!

And I think it's totally realistic and smart to be moderate during the holiday season. When I try to be really overly strict with myself during a time like the holidays, I end up feeling "deprived" and then all of the good work comes unravelled in the space of one week! I think moderate is the way to go.

you ain't kiddin'. i used to keep a food journal, but i've done that so long now, not much help. so now i simply record my weight daily and ups/downs progress. it helps to se it in B&W, but it is a bit disconcerting to see, just keep going back and forth...although of course far better than long-term gains. i just have to remind myself, i HAVe lost close to 25 pounds since the beginning of the year :eek:...my all-time highest weight ever, yikes. and, 3 years ago for the first time ever i realized i needed to lose, and i did....and was *thisclose* to my goal weight, so it IS doable. i am simply giving myself *permission* to get there more slowly, and i hope come the warer months i am sooo there and maintaining. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yes! Water is like magic, seriously. If you sip water all day, you'll definitely speed up fat loss. Most people think that if you drink too much water you'll get bloated, but actually it's the opposite.

exactly...the more you drink, the less you retain.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    well, I'm up a pound this week. however, the positive thing being that I've added weights back to my gym routine so I'm still on track.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Oh man,

Did I ever fall off big time.

I went from the longest streak of exercising in my life to just completely falling off, getting drunk every night, smoking too much pot, and eating horribly.

I don't know what it is but sometimes my body seems to like feeling, and eating shitty. It sometimes is way too satisfying for me to just say "Fuck it", and not do what I know would be best. I don't know if its the instant gratification that some things give me, but I think I am destined for failure. (is that the pot, the excessive drinking, or the loneliness talking?)

Tonight I went walking for an hour. atleast its something but i am feeling depressed and its annoying me. I plan to wakeup tomorrow and workout and just start back on the right pace..(after about a 5 day shitty lifestyle fest)

Hope some people are doing a little better than I am..but I am going to get in the right direction again.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Oh man,

I went from the longest streak of exercising in my life to just completely falling off, getting drunk every night, smoking too much pot, and eating horribly.

I don't know what it is but sometimes my body seems to like feeling, and eating shitty. It sometimes is way too satisfying for me to just say "Fuck it", and not do what I know would be best. I don't know if its the instant gratification that some things give me, but I think I am destined for failure. (is that the pot, the excessive drinking, or the loneliness talking?)

Tonight I went walking for an hour. atleast its something but i am feeling depressed and its annoying me. I plan to wakeup tomorrow and workout and just start back on the right pace..(after about a 5 day shitty lifestyle fest)

Hope some people are doing a little better than I am..but I am going to get in the right direction again.

Don't feel too bad... you're not alone and it's somewhat normal. (at least that's what I keep telling myself.) :) In the beginning, working out is a CHORE and not something that's easy or fun. I have read that it takes about 6 months for something to become a habit-- hope it's true! (I quit smoking on Halloween and I have been craving BIG time.--can't wait for the day that I don't think about smoking.)

If I were you, I would get rid of the weed (and maybe alcohol?) for a while. Use it as a reward... when you work out -x- amount of times or lose -x- lbs., you can smoke and/or drink. You're blowing your hard work with those 2, IMO. If you can't do without... you have bigger issues than losing weight!

To get back on topic -- down 3lbs since last report. It's all stress-related but I'll ake it at this point.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I had forgotten about this thread, but i have lost about 3 kg this month. Strict small portion diet wiht all ice-cream accounted for. Planning on a wee quality nosh-up on Hogswatchnight Day.

I'm even doing some cardio, which let me tell you, nrealy fricking kills me. Small lungs and a low peak heart rate , 148 is my max,will do that to you.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    stuff it,

i'm having beer and bbq this festive season, and lots of it.

January will see me wheeping as i drag my fat ass all the way to the gym
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Oh man,

Much danger I sense in your training! It is the path to the Dark Side.

Do not choose the quick & easy path, as did Obi-Wan's apprentice!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    stuff it,

i'm having beer and bbq this festive season, and lots of it.

January will see me wheeping as i drag my fat ass all the way to the gym

:D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    Down 4lbs to 191!!! One pound away from my monthly goal! One week left, but it's a big one! Good luck to all and keep at it!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    I weighed this morning and found out that I have lost another 2 lbs since last week, which brings me to 6.5 lbs for the month so far! :D

Now I'm going to spend tomorrow and the next day working on gaining all of that back. :o:D
  • Options
    I weighed this morning and found out that I have lost another 2 lbs since last week, which brings me to 6.5 lbs for the month so far! :D

Now I'm going to spend tomorrow and the next day working on gaining all of that back. :o:D

Thats awesome!

Merry Christmas to you! Don't gain it all back.. haha