What book are you reading?

Comments

• I'm almost done with "Running With Scissors" - which is pretty messed up in my opinion, but very captivating. Next I'm reading the metafictional novel "Bad Twin" by Gary Troop - the last novel he wrote before disappearing on Oceanic Flight 815...
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    just read 'the mercury visions of louis daguerre', nice read, i liked the details in the descriptions
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I'm almost done with "Running With Scissors" - which is pretty messed up in my opinion, but very captivating. Next I'm reading the metafictional novel "Bad Twin" by Gary Troop - the last novel he wrote before disappearing on Oceanic Flight 815...
    Running with Scissors was the first memoir I read that I didn't trust the author was telling the truth. The way the doctor told fortunes almost made me throw up. That is a messed up book. I wouldn't try to stop someone from reading it because so many people liked it, but I wouldn't recommend it either. The time reading that book could be spent reading something where the truth or fiction didn't flow like waves throughout the book.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Running with Scissors was the first memoir I read that I didn't trust the author was telling the truth. The way the doctor told fortunes almost made me throw up. That is a messed up book. I wouldn't try to stop someone from reading it because so many people liked it, but I wouldn't recommend it either. The time reading that book could be spent reading something where the truth or fiction didn't flow like waves throughout the book.

Yeah it's fairly unbelievable. I read on wikipedia that the doctor's family is suing the author for defamation of character. I'm reading it because I heard it was good, and the movie should be coming out soon - also I've been able to read it extremely quickly, so not much time wasted - I'm enjoying it in some sick kind of way.

I really meant to be reading fiction because it had taken me a while to get through the People's History of the the US (excellent, excellent book) - but then I read a historical narrative and this memoir - that's why I'm moving on the metafictional book next.
  • jocelynjocelyn Posts: 67
    I insist that all you literary types (and not) read the book The Ruins. Brand new book by Scott Smith (also wrote A Simple Plan).

That. Book. Was. Fucking. Scary. It gets inside your head. But don't misunderstand me, it is not a horror book. Not really. It's more about the horrible places peoples' minds travel and the things they do.

Read it. Read it. Read. It.
    "I can only be as good as you'll let me."
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Just read "Life of Pi".
    What a cool book, very entertaing though at times disturbing.

Am starting "Hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocaplyse"
    Sounds interesting. Hubbie said it wasnt bad. Borrowed it off a friend.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    I HIGHLY recommend that anyone who loves a good novel about crime, drugs, violence with excellent dialogue go out, find, and immediately read Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston, it is a fcuking awesome read.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Soujiro_SetaSoujiro_Seta Posts: 100
    I just finished copping free (which i won at a show)

It really wasnt a great book it was ok but id have been pissed off if i actually paid money for it.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    don't say that.
    i have to read it for uni this semester and you make it sound dull and boring.

i love, love, love madame bovary! one of my all-time fave books! it's not a difficult read at all. and it most certainly is NOT dull or boring. seriously. i am amazed to read such comments in relation to gustav flaubert's classic. sooo good! i'd reread it now if i didn't have a pile *this high* of books i have yet to get to. now if someone said it would take a long time to get thru anna karenina, that i could see. still a great, absolutely brilliant book...but long! madame bovary is not along book at all, a pretty easy read, and just a damn fine story. enjoy!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I'm just about finished with The Lovely Bones. It has taken me FOREVER to get through this book. It is way too emotionally draining. I can only read a chapter or two at a time.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• MFC1978MFC1978 Posts: 11
    A Room with a View
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    I'm just about finished with The Lovely Bones. It has taken me FOREVER to get through this book. It is way too emotionally draining. I can only read a chapter or two at a time.

i loved that story. yes, very sad/tragic...but good! funny, i flew thru it in 2 evenings. haha. seems, as ever, my tastes run counter to most here. eh well.

whoever mentioned girl with a pearl earring...brilliant! i love the painting, so it was such a cool premise for a novel. good stuff.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• BetterRadioBetterRadio Posts: 189
    The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

Very enlightening.
    They're gonna tell you where to walk
    When to smile and just what to say
    They say have your own fun...

Need vinyl, doggs.
  • I'm reading Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi. I've never really looked at the title until I read this thread, I just devoured the book right away when I saw it on the store shelf.
  • MrFadedGloryMrFadedGlory Posts: 207
    Reading Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and its all Small Stuff...because I have issues. Before that I read Velocity by Koontz and I recommend it.
    Left the Porch
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    I'm reading Wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west.

great use of language in there.

I bought that book yesterday! We just got back from a trip to New York and tried, unsuccessfully to get tickets to the Broadway show. (Well, we could have got them if we wanted to pay $275 a piece for them!!!) I am currently reading Brimstone by Preston and Child and loving it. It was the perfect book to read while traveling to and in New York because it is set there and it was really fun to walk the streets they mention there. I have stayed away from their books because I did not enjoy the movie "Relic" and it has always left a bad taste in my mouth but this book drew me in. They are great writers and I am going to try to catch up with what I have been missing. But as soon as I am finished I am going straight to Wicked!

I am also looking forward to reading The Ruins. I think I will wait for paperback because I have a stack of books to get through that I bought with gift certificates for my birthday.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    I'm still reading Gilead, almost done. I started Emotional Intelligence which was all the rage a few years ago. I recently rebought some books acupuncture "Between Heaven and Earth" and "The Web that Has no Weaver." I want to view my summer allergies from this perspective. I used to have these books, but then I gave them to the library.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I am reading...

Declare - Powers
    The Confessor - Silva
    The Thin Man - Hammett
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me - Richard Farina
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I am currently re-reading Dune. Amazing novel.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    I finally finished Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. I'd give it a 4/5 stars. Actually, it was excellent, but I think I'm being too lenient if I give it 5 stars. Each major character is interesting, and the story is set in barren Iowa, and yet there is so much going on throughout the life of the main character. It's like a calm river, yet a still waters run deep type of calm river. It would make a good book club book, also, as "why did the character do that" could just create conversation after conversation. I'd highly recommend it.

I just started "Leaving Home" by Anita Brookner, and I'm really looking forward to that book, as I've read, and enjoyed many of her other books.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me - Richard Farina
    that is the title of a doors song
    I finished Leaving Home by Anita Brookner. As far as fiction in general I'd give it a 3.5/5 stars. As far as her work I'd give a 2/5. Very quick read because I like Anita Brookner's writing in general. I started in Tuesday and finished yesterday. It is a small book, though.

The main character in other reviews is noted as a "slacker", but she is beyond timid in some instances. Anita Brookner created a character that in some instances acts decisively, and quickly. This adds spark to the book and keeps the reader interested. She isn't just imposed upon all the time. However, too often she is imposed upon, and the respect and interest in the main character decreases. Or maybe it increases because the reader is just waiting for her to take a stand in some instance. I think Anita Brookner has created more interesting characters in her other books, but this is still a good book to read for the constant yet subtle force of the language. Probably a very good book club books as opinions would vary on the main character.

So far the books I've read this year that I would recommend that you read include the following:

Brick Lane by Monica Ali - fiction
    Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - fiction
    Arc of Justice by Kevin Boyle - non-fiction/US History
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    books i have to read for uni -

madam bovary - flaubert
    women in love - d h lawrence
    as i lay dying - faulkner
    the children's bach - helen garner.
    dr jekyll and mr hyde - stevenson

my politics teacher also dared us to read 'mein kampf'. so i am taking up that challenge. how could i not.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I have just started To Kill a Mockingbird. Anyone else ever heard of it? ;)

• esther1977esther1977 Posts: 540
    I just start reading The clan of the cave bear - Jean M Auel.
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
    esther1977 wrote:
    I just start reading The clan of the cave bear - Jean M Auel.

GREAT SERIES!!

The Mammoth Hunters was my personal fave.

• esther1977esther1977 Posts: 540
    Yes i loved that on too. This is the second time im reading this serie.
    I've got all of them.
    Wonder when the next part is coming, i heard she was busy writing it so..
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • diego92diego92 Posts: 38
    I have just started To Kill a Mockingbird. Anyone else ever heard of it? ;)

yeah, i heard of it. i think there was a tv serie about it, with Richard Chamberlain, but maybe im wrong, it very old...
  • diego92diego92 Posts: 38
    I'm reading a Arturo Perez Reverte's book, he's a spanish war reporter. It's about the Yugoslavian war, called Territorio Comanche (something like Comanche land). Hard but really good.