What book are you reading?

Comments

• I just finished one of my summer reading books, No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark. I found that a great read and truly recommend it to others.

I started my other one, The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I'm intrigued so far.

And am in the middle of Lady of Fortune by Graham Masterton. I am a huge fan of his writing, and this one takes a different perspective than most of his usual novels. But once again, I truly recommend others to give this author a chance especially if you like Stephen King.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    been reading a lot of Koontz lately...I'm currently reading...

Watchers ~ Dean Koontz
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    "From Beirut to Jerusalem" - Thomas Friedman
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Wow, I just finished Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis....great book! Some very touching moments throughout his life. And some moments you just wonder what the fuck was he thinking.

I also did like the Tibetan Freedom festival that the Chili Peppers were getting bumped from (after he met with the Dali Lama and promised his band would be available to play)....and our very own Eddie Vedder caught wind of this and threatened to pull PJ out if the gig if they couldn't give the Chili Peppers some of their time on stage. Anthony said that it was an amazing show of support from Pearl Jam...and they never forgot that.

Next book....is either "America" by Jon Stewart or "Lies And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" by Al Franken.
  • bobbyd3bobbyd3 Posts: 89
    Ive been on a michael crichton kick the past month, I read jurassic park, the lost world, congo, and am 1/4 of the way thru timeline.

I started to read Don Quioxete, however its spelled. I seem to always get 1/2 way thru and then start reading something else. I made it 12 pages before starting timeline. So after time line im gonn amake myself finish it
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    The White wolf by David Gemmell
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Just finished rereading "Life of Pi", and now back to "Mating" by Norman Rush. Also, still working on "Cradle to Cradle."
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    Strange places, questionable people by John Simpson he of BBC world fame
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    Just finished "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire and started "3 Nights in August" by Buzz Bissinger and Tony LaRussa.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • jojojojo Posts: 645
    sennin wrote:
    Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
    by Anthony Bourdain

Great book.

and last month I finished reading Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Aron Ralston), and One Man's Wilderness (Dick Proenneke). Both I would recommend.

that is one of my favs of all time
    prob cause i'm a chef but still just a great book
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    im almost done with "One L" by Scott Turow. Trying to get prepped for the start of law school next week. I' getting nervous, but also cannot wait!
  • mariposa wrote:
    been reading a lot of Koontz lately...I'm currently reading...

Watchers ~ Dean Koontz

I have been reading a few of his lately, at the moment I have almost finished Cold Fire.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
    I started my other one, The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I'm intrigued so far.
    How is this? Would you recommend it?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    Wow, I just finished Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis....great book! Some very touching moments throughout his life. And some moments you just wonder what the fuck was he thinking.

I also did like the Tibetan Freedom festival that the Chili Peppers were getting bumped from (after he met with the Dali Lama and promised his band would be available to play)....and our very own Eddie Vedder caught wind of this and threatened to pull PJ out if the gig if they couldn't give the Chili Peppers some of their time on stage. Anthony said that it was an amazing show of support from Pearl Jam...and they never forgot that.

That is tres cool! I'm going to get that book soon. Is scar tissue well written do you think?

I've just finished re-reading E by Matt Beaumont and am going to start re-reading The Book, The Film, The T-shirt by Matt Beaumont again because I'm in the mood for some silly slapstick.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• The Karamazov Brothers; Fyodor Dostoyevski
    That is tres cool! I'm going to get that book soon. Is scar tissue well written do you think?
    Yeah, I think it was very well written.

There are a few times during his many relapses that you think you are reading almost the same thing over again.....but that is his life. I very much enjoyed the book and recommend it to any RHCP fans.
  • jamainiacjamainiac Posts: 429
    I'm probably going to finish up The Di Vinci Code on my way to Calgary tomorrow. Great read! I love the style of writing. Reading this has been a reminder to me of how much I really enjoy the pleasure of a 'good book' :)
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    by Joseph Boyden. Tis an excellent read. It follows the story of two young Cree Hunters who decide to go to WW 1, looks at their journey into madness and the journey of how only one of the friends came back home. Excellent read. Highly recommend it
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
    jamainiac wrote:
    I'm probably going to finish up The Di Vinci Code on my way to Calgary tomorrow. Great read! I love the style of writing. Reading this has been a reminder to me of how much I really enjoy the pleasure of a 'good book' :)
    That is on my list. My friend has it and is going to let me borrow it. He said it's a great read.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    That is on my list. My friend has it and is going to let me borrow it. He said it's a great read.
    It's a great at the beach summertime read. Intrigue and very quick like an action flick.

For those that like to read music related autobiographies, anyone read the biography of Muddy Waters?
    Alentejo Blue by Monica Ali. I'm going to the library within the next few days. Any suggestions for absolutely beautifully written literature?
  • AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    The contortionist's Handbook- Craig Clevenger...

amazing!
  • Maya by Jostein Gaarder

It's a bit wordy, but it does draw you in and makes you think about human life in a much bigger perspective.
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Everything Is Illuminated
    One is too many and a thousand never enough
    draper wrote:
    Everything Is Illuminated
    I've heard this is a great book. By the way, have you ever lived in Michigan?
  • i'm just starting to warm up to it now...it started off a little bit difficult. some funny stuff in here though.

no, but that's where the name came from :)
    One is too many and a thousand never enough
  • nearly finished Neil Young's bio - Shakey
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    Bill Bryson- A Short History of Nearly Everything
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Just finished Kennedy's Brain by Henning Mankell. Now re-reading Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.
    Leeds 25/08/06
    Berlin 23/09/06
    London 18/6/07
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Just read a "chick" book--Queen of Babble. It was cute.

and don't point and laugh at me!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me