Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins, and "The Places In Between" by Rory Stewart. The first one is fascinating; the second I'm not sold on yet. I'll give him one more chapter to really grab me, or I'll set it aside and move on to something else.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton. This one is short and filled with fun poems. The other is a children's book for adults called The Wolves in The Walls by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Dave Mckean. Comic books are always by my bedside. Justice by Alex Ross. Sometimes one needs a superhero or heroine !
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France
  • Options
    Obsidian22 wrote:
    The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton.
    I really like that book, tis very cute in an odd sort of way.
    I'm reading "EC law: Texts, Cases and Materials" By Craig and de Burca. Even my lecturer described it as trying to read the Bible. Fun.
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    i'm actually rereading The Vampire Chronicles. Anne Rice is extremely talented and a very good writer. i like her work even though it's a bit strange.
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I just went to the library, and I borrowed The Woman Who Watches Over the World by Linda Hogan. I loved her poetry/nature non-fiction/memoirs, so I'm looking forward to this.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Just finished a Mother's Story by Gloria Vanderbilt. Very short story. Her son is Anderson Cooper and her other son died tragically.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you are wrote:
    i'm actually rereading The Vampire Chronicles. Anne Rice is extremely talented and a very good writer. i like her work even though it's a bit strange.

what's so strange about vampires?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I never got into the Vampire Chronicles. I did however enjoy her series that started with The Witching Hour. Then came Lasher, and Taltos.
    Nothing wrong with vampires!!! I have been thinking about re-reading The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer-Bradley. What an undertaking!
    Anatole France
  • Options
    Obsidian22 wrote:
    I never got into the Vampire Chronicles. I did however enjoy her series that started with The Witching Hour. Then came Lasher, and Taltos.
    Nothing wrong with vampires!!! I have been thinking about re-reading The Mists of Avalon. What an undertaking!

now lasher. there's some weirdness there for sure.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I was really into it for about 3 months. I read the first 2, then held off for Taltos. It's been more than a few years since I picked up those books.
    Anne Rice can be a little controversial at times. I just love the lusty way she describes intimate encounters, especially with otherworldly beings. Must not give away too much now! cheers.
    Anatole France
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    I'm going to go get 'Cross' right now. So I'll be reading that soon. I can't wait!
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    what's so strange about vampires?

well strange for me is the fact that i've read other vampire stories and i think they're cheesy, but her vampires are believable because she's such an amazing writer. this is my second time reading it and i'm still in love with the story.
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    i've just finished 'smoke and mirrors' by neil gaiman, he is a real genius im telling you!!! and now i started 'les liaisons dangereuses' - bit tough since french is not my first language (not even the second lol)
    stood at the top of the hill over my town i was found. finding myself used to be hard but now i see the light. this is music.
  • Options
    myrtomyrto Posts: 7
    Salman Rushdie's latest novel: "Shalimar the Clown" (aka how easy the construction of terrorists is)... I haven't finished it but it's been great so far
    The smallest oceans still get big, big waves
  • Options
    Studybooks about Freud Adler and Jung
    Hold me, and make it the truth,...
    That when all is lost there will be you,...
    Cause to the universe I don't mean a thing
    And there's just one word I stil believe
    And it's Love

29-08-06 (Arnhem)
    28-06-07 (Nijmegen)
    27-06-10 (Nijmegen)
  • Options
    Kiss the Girls by James Patterson, I just finished reading the first Alex Cross book, Along Came A Spider and that was amazing
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    The Century of my Father (De eeuw van mijn vader) - Geert Mak.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    John Grisham....'An Innocent Man'........powerful reading.
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter- Kim Edwards.

Good so far.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Currently reading Chain Of Command: The Road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib by Seymour Hersh.

Never read a book by Mr. Hersh, looking forward to this. Had my eye on it for awhile and found it for $ 6.99 in hardcover is the bargain bin at Chapters
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    maybe a miracle- brian strouse

it's really good so far.
  • Options
    Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

2nd Vonnegut that I've read. The first being Slaughterhouse 5. A great book.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    The Waves - Virginia Woolf
  • Options
    I'm reading this now too!! I just bought the one book with all the books inside. Not sure why I never read it before?? I finished the first book which basically tells you how Narnia became, and where the wardrobe came from. Now I'm on the Lion The Witch and Wardrobe, all the kids just entered Narnia and have met up with the beaver.
    Anyway, I'm really liking it a lot! Love fantasy stuff like this.

I bought the big book too. I've always loved the horse and his boy and the Voyage of the Dawn treader books best!

I'm still sort of reading the historian by elizabeth kostovo but I've just picked up harry potter and the half-blood prince to remind myself of what happened!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It is good but really long! I am at about page 750 and still have about 300 to go! I got a lot of books for Christmas so I am hoping to finish this soon to get to those.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    I'm reading Jacquelyn Mitchard's "Cage of Stars." I'm enthralled, and at the same time, I'm contemplating the theme of child murder in recent novels. I read "The Lovely Bones" and enjoyed it, but somehow I feel badly that this kind of tragedy creates a compelling story for me. It's not the only theme I read about by any means, but I feel wrong "enjoying" these books. What do you think?

By the way, I love Barbara Kingsolver, especially "Prodigal Summer." I would also recommend "The Secret Life of Bees."

Happy New Year everyone! I hope it is filled with happiness for all of you.
    Protecting the democracy that we ask our sons and daughters to die for is our responsibility and our trust. Demanding accountability from our leaders is our job as citizens. It's the American way. -Bruce Springsteen
  • Options
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonegut
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    henry miller on writing. funnily enough written by..... henry miller. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say