Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Alentejo Blue by Monica Ali. I'm going to the library within the next few days. Any suggestions for absolutely beautifully written literature?
    I'm reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova...excellent!!

Book to get at the library if you can The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.... absolutely magnificent and my all time fave!

Did you give me a recipe a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    nuffingman wrote:
    I'm reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova...excellent!!

Book to get at the library if you can The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.... absolutely magnificent and my all time fave!

Did you give me a recipe a few weeks ago?
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if i gave you a recipe a few weeks ago. I posted many cookie recipes, but I don't remember sending a recipe to anyone in particular.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    Shoot Me by Lesley Crewe.

She's an incredible writer from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia who has been my friend and mentor since we met last year when her first incredible book Relative Happiness came out.
    i. am. mine.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    cases and materials on torts
    cases and materials on contracts
    civil procedure: a modern approach
    criminal law and its processes

it's thrilling stuff really
  • Options
    Yeah, Its been a long time since I read something, I wanna kind of get into reading, I'm not into Fiction, I prefer more factual interesting stuff (I'm pretty big on autobiographies) can anyone recommend me anything?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    Yeah, Its been a long time since I read something, I wanna kind of get into reading, I'm not into Fiction, I prefer more factual interesting stuff (I'm pretty big on autobiographies) can anyone recommend me anything?
    Arc of Justice was excellent. Non-fiction/historical/US Law, but read very well. Flowed really nicely, and the author did a great job of setting the scene.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    for uni - women in love - dh lawrence
    for fun - night beat: a shadow history of rock and roll - mikal gilmore
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I just finished Kristallnacht: Prelude To Destruction. It was about the Night of Broken Glass a horrible night on November 9, 1938 when the Germans smashed Jewish shop windows and looted these stores, and burnt some of them, and torched over 1600 synagogues throughout Germany and Austria. They killed some Jewish citizens and sent over 30,000 to concentration camps. It was the first state persecution action by the Nazis on Jewish citizens. It was a well produced book, and reprinted alot of personal stories and accounts from survivors, most written personally to the author.

I would recommend for anyone wanting a good history snapshot of the first major event that let to the Holocaust.

Next up, back to fiction, Lisey's Story by The MAN (Stephen King)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    smarchee wrote:
    I just finished Kristallnacht: Prelude To Destruction. It was about the Night of Broken Glass a horrible night on November 9, 1938 when the Germans smashed Jewish shop windows and looted these stores, and burnt some of them, and torched over 1600 synagogues throughout Germany and Austria. They killed some Jewish citizens and sent over 30,000 to concentration camps. It was the first state persecution action by the Nazis on Jewish citizens. It was a well produced book, and reprinted alot of personal stories and accounts from survivors, most written personally to the author.

I would recommend for anyone wanting a good history snapshot of the first major event that let to the Holocaust.

Next up, back to fiction, Lisey's Story by The MAN (Stephen King)

Just finished Lisey's Story. His best in awhile.

I also just finished "The Devil's Teeth" and "Marley and Me".

Right now I am reading "The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time"
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Just finished Julie & Julia by Julie Powell. I'm on to Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job which is quintessential Christopher Moore. Very quirky and funny.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    GIMP - by the murderball guy mark z.

now i'm on 'ya-ya's in bloom'

:)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    I just started to read Michael Ondaatje's 'In The Skin Of A Lion'. It's my favourite book of all time, been a few years since I read it last but I know it wont dissapoint so I am going to read it again.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,425
    I am reading the Karl Pilkington book!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    rrivers wrote:

I also just finished "The Devil's Teeth" and "Marley and Me".

Right now I am reading "The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time"
    Loved "The Curious Incident" book, very different. I'm reading Lisey's Story now. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,425
    for uni - women in love - dh lawrence
    for fun - night beat: a shadow history of rock and roll - mikal gilmore

werid fact...Mikal Gilmore's brother was convicted of Murder in the 1970s, and there was a lot of controversy regarding his execution. Mikal wrote a book about the experience.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    rrivers wrote:

Wow, good to hear. I really liked Cell, I was hooked into it, and it was kind of freaky at some points. As I have become older and have read all of Stephen King's books, it's a really cool, childish feeling anticipating a new book by him. It doesn't happen often, so I relish these moments. I bought his book about 2 weeks ago, it's been sitting on a table in my room, I have looked at it everyday knowing that I will be tackling it soon. Now the time has come, before I go to sleep tonight, I will begin another journey with myself, Stephen, and his characters.

Nothing much gets better than that.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    werid fact...Mikal Gilmore's brother was convicted of Murder in the 1970s, and there was a lot of controversy regarding his execution. Mikal wrote a book about the experience.

yes gary gilmore was executed for murder.
    norman mailer wrote 'the executioner's song' about the incident.
    the book mikal wrote is called 'shot in the heart'
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs

just finished Dry as well, would definitely recommend both

i like memoirs
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'm trying to finish Ishmael...I just don't have enough time to read. The book's really opened my eyes though, I suggest it to everyone!
  • Options
    "Cellophane" by Marie Arana

Almost finished. It has taken me longer than usual to finish this book. It's an intriguing book with a slow introduction.... many characters to keep track of but I'm in the home stretch. I'm looking forward to see how it ends and that is always a good sign of a well-written book.
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    recently finished Tom Wolfe :i am charlotte simmons(silly plot, silly book, good writer)

currently reading Peter Abrahams: Crying Wolf
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    a wicked autobiography is Joe ezterhas: Hollywood Animal
  • Options
    curently: Profit before people...nice read
  • Options
    tooferztooferz Posts: 135
    i have books lying all over so i can read when the opportunity presents itself...but the main 3 right now are

'under the skin' by michael faber

'a feast for crows' by george rr martin

'chainfire' by terry goodkind.
  • Options
    I just finished Christopher Moore's "A Dirty Job." Quintessential Christopher Moore. I recommend it for a plane ride, or a vacation. It's not totally brain candy, but it has it's quirky moments that's for sure.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Cormac Mccarthy - The Road
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    Loved "The Curious Incident" book, very different. I'm reading Lisey's Story now. :)

Yeah I am really enjoying "Curious Incident" as well. I am about halfway through it. I thought it would be more silly than it is. It is actually pretty heartbreaking.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I just finished "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham. It was his first non-fiction book and it was very, very good. I read the entire thing this past weekend.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    Wow, good to hear. I really liked Cell, I was hooked into it, and it was kind of freaky at some points. As I have become older and have read all of Stephen King's books, it's a really cool, childish feeling anticipating a new book by him. It doesn't happen often, so I relish these moments. I bought his book about 2 weeks ago, it's been sitting on a table in my room, I have looked at it everyday knowing that I will be tackling it soon. Now the time has come, before I go to sleep tonight, I will begin another journey with myself, Stephen, and his characters.

Nothing much gets better than that.

Well put. I feel the same way. His characters and narrative voice are fantastic. I can never just buy one of his books and let it sit. I started Lisey's in Borders before I even bought it!!

He has another book called "Duma Key" that I think will come out next year.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    rrivers wrote:

That's good to hear.

Hoping the mail carrier drops that puppy off today.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13