Options

The AET Soccer/Football Thread

Comments

• Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    Towerman wrote:
    they should make the qualifiers for the WC with only one America unified... Mexico and USA have it so easy, that's why they always maket it to the WC.

and besides, that way more South America countries will qualify...

Well, I'm not sure about that. Maybe 1 more country from South America would make it.

I think if it was America unified with, say 8 spots, the teams that would make the WC would be:
    - Brazil
    - Argentina
    - Mexico
    - USA
    and 4 other South American countries. Maybe include Uruguay if they ever wake up. I think those 4 are currently the best 4 American countries at football.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    caifan82 wrote:
    Well, I'm not sure about that. Maybe 1 more country from South America would make it.

I think if it was America unified with, say 8 spots, the teams that would make the WC would be:
    - Brazil
    - Argentina
    - Mexico
    - USA
    and 4 other South American countries. Maybe include Uruguay if they ever wake up. I think those 4 are currently the best 4 American countries at football.

I don't see the USA being better than most of South America, I think in the whole continent Brazil and Argentina are clearly above the rest, then comes Mexico, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, USA, Peru... one better than the other maybe but basically not BIG diferences, and after them comes Bolivia, Venezuela and all of Central America and the islands.
    If it's 8 spots to the WC then it would be 6 for South America(could be 7 if they leave out the USA) and Mexico would be no doubt the only team from Concacaf that would qualify clearly.

I could see why Mexico would not want the actual format to change, playing against Guatemala, Honduras, Trinidad, Cuba, Salvador,etc is a smooth route to the WC but in a long run I believe that it could be beneficial for them too, to play against South AMerica because that way they'd get used to face more harder competition. I even remember reading an article where Chivas players were saying this, that for them it has been incredible to play against teams like Sao Paulo or Boca Juniors because of the experienced they've gained and all, besides they seem to do very well.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Towerman wrote:
    I don't see the USA being better than most of South America, I think in the whole continent Brazil and Argentina are clearly above the rest, then comes Mexico, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, USA, Peru... one better than the other maybe but basically not BIG diferences, and after them comes Bolivia, Venezuela and all of Central America.
    If it's 8 spots to the WC then it would be 6 for South America(could be 7 if they leave out the USA) and Mexico would be no doubt the only team from Concacaf that would qualify clearly.

Yeah, I guess I can agree with that.
    Towerman wrote:
    I could see why Mexico would not want the actual format to change, playing against Guatemala, Honduras, Trinidad, Cuba, Salvador,etc is a smooth route to the WC but in a long run I believe that it could be beneficial for them too, to play against South AMerica because that way they'd get used to face more harder competition. I even remember reading an article where Chivas players were saying this, that for them it has been incredible to play against teams like Sao Paulo or Boca Juniors because of the experienced they've gained and all, besides they seem to do very well.

I agree with this too. I would love an all-american format. I don't think it makes Mexico any good to play against teams like Granada or St Kitts & Nevis. I don't think Mexico would have many problems getting the 3rd-4th spot in this type of competition and the players would play against way better teams.
    I totally support this idea actually.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Ive always seen mexico as being part of south america, are they technically in n america? i was aware that they play their quals with the n american clubs
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    reports claim Kuyt will be a Liverpool player within the next 48 hours!!!!!!

but Kromkamp looks to be on his way to PSV..I wish he stayed to prove himself cos I don't think the fans got to see the best from him.
    anything over 5mill for this kuyt I see as being a big risk....he didnt impress me during the w cup and surely Bellamy is the main man now, really looking forward to seeing him this season, he's a top player. I'd actually rather him than shevchenko who is a finisher but lacks the pace of a bellamy
    ............as for kromkamp, I think benitez has to be trusted here, he failed to impress or show much potential as he had done elsewhere apparently and they will lose £s if he does the same this season and beni decides to then move him on................has anyone seen this chilean play???? called gonzalez I think..............whatever reckon that the title will be a close run this time with chelsea, if ballack hadnt gone there Id tip the mighty reds but its just too close to call.....................reckon arsenal in 3rd and man u clasping for 4th
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    elmer wrote:
    has anyone seen this chilean play???? called gonzalez I think..............
    yeh seen Mark Gonzalez play afew times for Real Sociedad..looks a good player..kinda reminds me of Kewell in his Leeds days.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    mmhhhh nice guy;)

anyways tommorow hsv officialls say if baros comes or not ...

oh and another nedderland is eyed for us...
  • Options
    it seems that the baros deal is gone ...

and deems like HSV will have maybe than 4 dutch players in the squad ...

H Holländischer /Hamburger
    S Sport
    V Verein
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    Ive always seen mexico as being part of south america, are they technically in n america? i was aware that they play their quals with the n american clubs

Not technically... geographically Mexico is in North America. It's that big mass of land just under the US. You can see it's above the equator, at the level of the tropic of Cancer... That makes it North America.
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    read the Cannavaro is a Real Madrid player already.

and that Arsenal and Real might trade Fabregas for Julio Baptista e Robinho and an amount of money.

this offseason news are running wild...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yeh seen Mark Gonzalez play afew times for Real Sociedad..looks a good player..kinda reminds me of Kewell in his Leeds days.

Mark Gonzalez is banned to play for Chile... they found him with some prostitutes in a hotel in Ireland where Chile had travelled to play a friendly match before the WC.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Towerman wrote:
    Mark Gonzalez is banned to play for Chile... they found him with some prostitutes in a hotel in Ireland where Chile had travelled to play a friendly match before the WC.
    he quit international footie too cos of that incident...ah well..sure he will return if there's a change in management.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    he quit international footie too cos of that incident...ah well..sure he will return if there's a change in management.

yeah... still funny though
  • Options
    hosenbislerhosenbisler Posts: 349
    Fucking idiots :)http://www.isnichwahr.de/redirect12745.html By the way, they´re holding tickets for the world cup...
    Hey, could you stand another drink,
    Better when I don't think,
    It seems to get me through.
  • Options
    Fucking idiots :)http://www.isnichwahr.de/redirect12745.html By the way, they´re holding tickets for the world cup...

hahahahaha, how fucking stupid can you be?
  • Options
    Towerman wrote:
    he claims that some girls simply knocked at their hotel door asking for autographs
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    he claims that some girls simply knocked at their hotel door asking for autographs

some girls do everthing to get attention grrrr
  • Options
    here is some funny reading:

Bill Simmons, a writer for espn.com, got hooked by the World Cup fever and decided to pick a team to follow in the English Premier League this season.
    To help him make his decision, he asked his readers to send him e-mail explaning which team he should choose and he lists some things that could help him with the process.

I think it's funny stuff...

Here are the links:

1st part:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

2nd part:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719_2

CHELSEA

Unintentional Comedy: Various reader comments on Abramovich included, "He's a billionaire oil tycoon who's suspected of high crimes in Russia" … "In a way, he's Mark Cuban, but in another strangely satisfying way, he's the Godfather" … "You couldn't invent a guy like this: Russian oligarch who dumps money into players, hitting the bid on exorbitant transfer fees to stock his squad with so much talent while showing no regard for the bottom line; even Steinbrenner is profit oriented" … "Their owner is probably the only major sports owner who's had his business rivals assassinated" … "Plays the Russian anthem before home matches, at the conclusion of which he stands and waves to the delirious crowd like Caesar."

(Now he sounds FANTASTIC. And we thought Mark Cuban was fun.)

ARSENAL

Celebrity Fans: An astonishingly bizarre group that includes Gavin Rossdale, Spike Lee, Hornby, Dido, Johnny Rotten, Roger Waters, Andrew Ridgeley (the other guy from Wham!), Ray Davies, Colin Firth, Will Wheaton, Freddie Prinze Jr., Kevin Costner, Jackie and Joan Collins, Queen Elizabeth, Prince Harry, Fidel Castro, John Gotti, Michael Moore and Osama Bin Laden. Now there's a list you want to avoid.

PORTSMOUTH

Reader comments included, "Blue-collar fans, blue-collar team, there are no executive boxes at their ground which means it's very rowdy and the club has no money" and "this place is down on the South coast for a reason -- it's a hell-hole and no matter how much money the team spends, it still stinks." I think that fails my vacation test.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Unintentional Comedy: They have a Kafka-reading, gigantic Dutchman of a coach named Martin Jol who (A) has brothers named "Cock" and "Dick" (I'm not making this up), and (B) apparently talks just like Goldmember (in the third Austin Powers movie). Now there's someone who needs to be in my life.

inappropriate post.

• Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Some rumours are still continueing. And where smoke is, is fire ;)

RvNistelrooij to Bayern Munchen
    Makaay to PSV
    Kromkamp to PSV
    Vennegoor to Porto
    Kuyt to Liverpool
    McArtney to Blackburn
    Viera to Inter
    Pennant to Liverpool
    Kluivert to HSV
  • Options
    And there goes Velez :P
  • Options
    caifan82 wrote:
    And there goes Velez :P

are you a Chivas fan?

let's see if they can stop another brazilian-only final...

inappropriate post.

• Options
    brhf9 wrote:
    are you a Chivas fan?

No, not really a Chivas fan... I'm a Pumas fan, but they are sucking bad lately. I do like Chivas though, since they historically have always been a team with only Mexican players. I hope they can do good against Sao Paulo. It should be a good couple of matches.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    brhf9 wrote:
    are you a Chivas fan?

yeah, it could very well end up being Inter vs. Sao Paulo. I like Libertad, but I'm not sure they'll be able to defeat Inter...

On another note, does whoever wins the Libertadores play for the Intercontinental Cup? is it still going?
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    so now it´s official Kluivert is not moving to HSV...to risk for beiersdorfer ...and no baros so what ???Beiersdorfer is still searching for a striker ..but who???
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    On another note, does whoever wins the Libertadores play for the Intercontinental Cup? is it still going?

I think that if Chivas manages to win the cup, they wouldn't be allowed to play for the Intercontinental Cup since they are not from Conmebol. It would be the second place.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    caifan82 wrote:
    I think that if Chivas manages to win the cup, they wouldn't be allowed to play for the Intercontinental Cup since they are not from Conmebol. It would be the second place.

ok, got it.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Pearl_Juli wrote:
    yeah, it could very well end up being Inter vs. Sao Paulo. I like Libertad, but I'm not sure they'll be able to defeat Inter...

yeah, just like last year. most likely it will be Barcelona x Libertadores winner...

inappropriate post.

• Options
    tommorow HSV vs Blackburn Rovers and i can´t be there grr (it´s also a testmatch)
  • Options
    brhf9 wrote:
    yeah, just like last year. most likely it will be Barcelona x Libertadores winner...

actually last year the Intercontinental Cup wasn't played, insted it was the Fifa World Club Championship with winners from all confederations, the southamerican and european winners go directly into the semifinals, so most likely they'll face each other in the final like last year when Sao Paulo beat Liverpool 1-0. If Chivas wins the Libertadores they won't go to Japan, mexicans teams need to win the Concacaf Cup in order to qualifiy to the Fifa World Club Championship
  • Options
    Towerman wrote:
    actually last year the Intercontinental Cup wasn't played, insted it was the Fifa World Club Championship with winners from all confederations, the southamerican and european winners go directly into the semifinals, so most likely they'll face each other in the final like last year when Sao Paulo beat Liverpool 1-0. If Chivas wins the Libertadores they won't go to Japan, mexicans teams need to win the Concacaf Cup in order to qualifiy to the Fifa World Club Championship

sorry, i got the names wrong...

inappropriate post.