My brother needs your GOOD thoughts

GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Dear Friends,

On friday morning my brother was taken to the Hospital with a horrible reaction to the Antibiotic, Bactrium, a sulfa based drug. He know has the diease called "Stevens Johnsons" and is in critical condition. He was in CHOP (Childrens Hosp. of Philly) for 3 days before being helocoptered to Crozer burn unit in Southeastern PA. He is being treated the same as a burn victim would be. Stevens Johnsons causes the skin to blister, deeply, and for the skin to come off entirely. It is considered SJ when it is over 30% of the victims body, and my brother is covered at 100%. This is actually a level about SJ, but the name is Toxiema something, and that is too hard for me to deal with since it sounds like Toxic. He had to be intubated on sunday afternoon, and will be kept that way for atleast a week. SJ has a very high mortality rate. My brother is a healthy (aside from this) 16 year old guy, and that should help in his favor, hopefully. They expect his will most likely be hopitalized for 6 weeks, and out of school until atleast early 2008.

As of today, monday, he is still blistering, and has lost much of the skin on his face. I ask that you keep him in your thoughts, and remember in your own lives that you never know what will happen to you, so to live each day to it's fulliest. One day he was fine, and the next day he is in critical condition. You just never know.

I wanted to share this with you, because today I have felt the strength to reach out. I feel extremely overwhelmed and in a fog, but sometimes it is easier to share things with people who aren't face to face with you. He is no where near being out of the clear, and each day we pray that he doesn't get infected and suffer more complications.

I apologize for rambling, but I just needed to get some of it off my chest.

Thank you,
Sarah
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Oh sarah! :( That's just terrible. I'm so very sorry.

I'll keep everything crossed for your brother and for you and your family.

((BIG HUGS)) *~*positive energy*~* and LOVE to you all.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

xo
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Sorry to hear the news Sarah :(

I'll be sending vibes across the country for ya.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    NERDS!
  • barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    Good thoughts and prayers are on the way. Keep us updated. My heart goes out to you.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    So sorry. :( That's terrible. Good thoughts to all of you and like you said he is young and strong so here's to a hopefully speedy recovery. (hugs)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Wow.. that's horrible!!:( I'll send some prayers his way tonight. I'm hoping for the best..
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • I'm sending my best wishes your way.

This must be agonizing for you to deal with but try to be strong for your brother and family.

Stay positive
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Sending some sunshine from down under your way Sarah
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Sarah:

Be strong for your brother, for your family, and for yourself.
    I have never even ever heard of such a thing.
    I am sorry this is happening to him or anyone else for that matter.
    I'm sending out positive energy.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Oh Sarah, I'm so so sorry, that sounds horrible, poor guy! :o

Sending some good thoughts for him AND you! :( hang in there!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Horrible, horribe news and I can't begin to know what to say but please, continue to draw strength from the Pit, I know I have. My thoughts and prayers will be directed your way :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Sending best wishes to you and your family.
    Stay positive and strong :)
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    If the Dr.'s prognosis includes a "6-week" hospitalization time I would say he is out of the woods in the life and death scenario. Doctors aren't really allowed to pull punches that way.
    This sounds awful, though, I've never heard of it. I expect there will be a long recovery period to say the least.

I hope you and your family the best.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    my well wishes are coming your way :)
  • Wow. I'm definitely sending you all the good vibes I can muster up.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Thoughts and prayers coming your way. I can not even begin to imagine one of my sons being that sick. Hug your mom and dad for me. Take good care of yourself.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i'm so sorry to hear this! it really is scary how quickly things can change and makes you count your blessings. i agree with gue_barium that it sounds positive that they said there would be a six week hospitalization. my thoughts are with you and your family!!!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Hopefully he'll be home for Christmas.

Stay strong.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • wishing your brother a complete recovery ...
    sending lots of positive thoughts from miami.

stay strong and know there are sooooo many people that care :)

hugs!
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    prayers for your brother.

I hope he gets well. I'm very sorry.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Reading your post took my breath away. I am so sorry you guys are going through this. I will keep you guys in my thoughts. I really hope he makes a quick recovery.
  • thank you all so much for your kind words. Having support makes a world of a difference. I have been in Philly since Friday night so I am able to see him and I just got out of visiting hours. He had a bad night last night with blood pressure dropping and pain. His nurse told us it is impossible to ever fully take the pain away even though he is intubated and appears to be asleep to us. He does still feel things. He did have to have his pain Meds upped and they has to remove his nose intubation and re intubate through his mouth today. They said the tube is keeping his throat from swelling shut at this point. The bad news is today he is getting new blisters which allowed them to know that he isn't healing at all yet but still being attached by the reaction. He is a lot more swollen today and he is unrecognizable. They said at this point there is nothing more they can do and they just have to let this run its course in whatever direction it is going to take. They wont give us a prognosis rate at this time.

Please pray, thing, wish whatever you may believe/do for him
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    that is so tragic.....:(.....so sorry to hear about your brother......sending positive thoughts your way....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I am so sorry to hear about your brother.
    Peace and love to you and your family.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • i'm so sorry, i'm praying for your brother right now...

you and your family are in my thoughts as well. please let me know if there's anything you need!
  • i'm so sorry about your brother, definitely will be sending good thoughts to you and your family
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    whoa that sucks so much for you and your family will be sending positive thoughts your way all the time damm poor man wishing a speedy recovery ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    prayers to your brother and family.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    my thoughts and prayers go out to your brother sarah... i hope that soon you and him can have a proper argument like brothers and sisters do
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Sorry to hear about your brother. Positive thoughts and vibes headed your way. :)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Good wishes & prayers going out to you, your brother and family~~~~~>>>
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me