Options

Victory for the Ladies (those age 18+)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AraineaArainea Posts: 58
    You know, people keep asking the question, "What if the condom breaks?" and the only reply thus far has been, "That should almost never happen." Well, it happened to me and my husband (he was my boyfriend at the time). We were using it correctly and he is, ahem, normally proportioned. I don't know why it happened, but we were unmarried college students at the time, and I was scared to death. We got very, very lucky, but please know that condoms DO break during normal usage. It's reasonable and RESPONSIBLE to make morning after pills available otc in my opinion.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    cornnifer wrote:
    i agree. Pretty soon, if we can keep the momentum we seem to have going, women will not have to make ANY responsible decisions or choices regarding sex. woooooo hoooooo!

good point, cos men these days are SO responsible about sex...
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    they should rename this pill the "no more pulling out pill"

this is a victory for men as well in my opinion :p

the best post in this thread :D

here here!
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    i get the impression that anyone who disagrees with you would come across as, and be accused of, moralizing. Sorry, but thats how it comes across. Technically, i could accuse you of the same thing. i won't. First of all, i don't believe it. Secondly, for someone as disliked as i am around here to accuse someone of your high esteem of ANYTHING would be asking for trouble.

i've never said anyone deserves an unwanted pregnancy. i've only said that people should be responsible, and that this pill is, IMO, a copout on responsibility. i stand by that assessment. i also never suggested it shouldn't be available either OTC or otherwise. Personally, i don't really care.

take care

how is it more of a copout than using condoms or the pill?
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    surferdude wrote:
    Being in a position to manage unintended but foreseeable outcomes of your actions is part of being responsible.

So if not having sex is the answer, then you are bang on. The last orgasm I had, I was well aware that it was coming. So tell me again that if I as a male am having sex that I don't have a responsibility in giving life and accepting the fact. Sure she can have an abortion if she really wants to and the male has no say. But if you are fucking pigs like that, then you should really fall in love with somebody before sticking your dick into them. Then you will be happy to share your little "mistake" that both of you were too stupid to try and stop it's life before it began.

Just to question your way of thinking. Have you ever walked away or turned your back on somebody you have gotten pregnant? Of course you haven't. Well I hope you haven't.

Wee edit: Or you can look at it in another selfish way. Say you really loved some lady and all she wanted was you to get her pregnant and then piss off and never, ever, see the baby again. Just another selfish way to look at the man getting stiffed.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    cornnifer wrote:
    Come on. There are plenty of options. Problem is they all require responsible decision making BEFORE sex. You're right. I can see where thats a problem. Look, i'm grown, married with three children (all boys, no daughters), and have had a vasectomy. This isn't an issue i get my undies in a wad about. Lets be honest, however. This really isn't about choice and options. Its about completely eliminating responsibility along with any consequences of poor choices.

Wouldn't it be resonsibility by making a choice to take this pill? Wouldn't the consequence be the possible termination of a potential child? The what if factor? I know I have girlfriends that still beat themselves up for having a T.O.P. That's a pretty serious procedure. I am glad I never went through that, but I am glad I was there for them when they did. I am Pro-choice and my choice is my own. I have 2 children. But that was our family decision. I know I have situation where I know I goofed up and thankfully I did not end up in a situation where I had to make this type of decision. But I am glad to know that women now have this as a choice, this option. I can at least grant someone a mistake, we are animals, we have sex. I am not a fan of repeat offenders of any level. Education is key from all involved, parents, teachers, friends, family.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    good point, cos men these days are SO responsible about sex...

A lot of men are very responsible these days....you just got to find them.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    RVM86RVM86 Posts: 76
    It is just an excuse for irresponsible guys and gals to keep having unprotected sex. There is no excuse for anyone to feel as though they need to get this Plan B crap. Birth control is a very easy method of having safe sex. One cannot even use the excuse of it being too expensive, you can get it for free for crying out loud.
    War In Iraq? Do It In My Name.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    RVM86 wrote:
    It is just an excuse for irresponsible guys and gals to keep having unprotected sex. There is no excuse for anyone to feel as though they need to get this Plan B crap. Birth control is a very easy method of having safe sex. One cannot even use the excuse of it being too expensive, you can get it for free for crying out loud.

If the condom breaks, you'll have the baby, right? It's called Plan B for a reason...

Are there a lot of people here from outside the US that are against it?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Im happy that there are more methods available for people. But I dont agree with the age restriction on it. Cigarettes maybe 18 is okay but the facts are that people younger then 18 are having sex. I feel as if the people who are in charge everywhere are getting instructions on how to run a country from an old "Happy Days" episode where everything will turn out alright, then Potzie and Ralph Malph get a milkshake.
    Support the Troops
    Go Cubs!
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Jeremy2009 wrote:
    Im happy that there are more methods available for people. But I dont agree with the age restriction on it. Cigarettes maybe 18 is okay but the facts are that people younger then 18 are having sex. I feel as if the people who are in charge everywhere are getting instructions on how to run a country from an old "Happy Days" episode where everything will turn out alright, then Potzie and Ralph Malph get a milkshake.
    I don't care for the age restriction either, but just having it available OTC is a start. There are age restrictions on alcohol too, and I've never known them to stop a kid from drinking, so I'm sure kids who need this will be able to get it.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    hippiemom wrote:
    I don't care for the age restriction either, but just having it available OTC is a start. There are age restrictions on alcohol too, and I've never known them to stop a kid from drinking, so I'm sure kids who need this will be able to get it.

This brings up another reason why i think this drug being available OTC is less tha totally responsible. If a thirteen year old is sexually active to the point of needing an "emergency contraceptive, post coital pill", that baby's parents should know about it. Making this drug readily available OTC, makes it a hell of a lot easier for them not to.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    cornnifer wrote:
    This brings up another reason why i think this drug being available OTC is less tha totally responsible. If a thirteen year old is sexually active to the point of needing an "emergency contraceptive, post coital pill", that baby's parents should know about it. Making this drug readily available OTC, makes it a hell of a lot easier for them not to.
    I'd definitely prefer that parents be involved in these types of decisions, but I think pregnant 13 year olds tend to come from families where the parents are negligent or disfunctional to begin with. Kids getting knocked up at that age are pretty much on their own already. It's sad, but it would be sadder still if they had kids of their own.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    surferdude wrote:
    To dismiss discussion of the topic as "This is how it currently is" seems more than a little closeminded. I can only imagine if this was the tact taken during the fight for civil rights. It is time to change those terms. As society progresses we should be looking at ways to address inequalities and inequities between the sexes, for the betterment of all.

on almost all thingts....but when it comes to who ulitmately makes the decision of birth it has to be the woman...she's the one who's going through the pregnancy..its her body. Sooo unfortunately she has the trump card..and ultimately so. Whats the other option? Woman doesn't want to go forward but is forced to??? Then at birth hand the child to the man?!?!
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    hippiemom wrote:
    I'd definitely prefer that parents be involved in these types of decisions, but I think pregnant 13 year olds tend to come from families where the parents are negligent or disfunctional to begin with. Kids getting knocked up at that age are pretty much on their own already. It's sad, but it would be sadder still if they had kids of their own.

I'm thinking a minor will have no problems finding an adult to pick up Plan B...thank goodness.

Question...can men over 18 buy this drug??? Assuming so.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    hippiemom wrote:
    I'd definitely prefer that parents be involved in these types of decisions, but I think pregnant 13 year olds tend to come from families where the parents are negligent or disfunctional to begin with. Kids getting knocked up at that age are pretty much on their own already. .

In all due respect and fairness, once upon a time in American history this could be said without question. In the not so distant past the majority of cases would indeed fall into this set of circumstances. i don't know that it still rings true. It may be in many cases, but i think we are seeing more and more of this type of behavior in kids from decent homes with decent, involved, concerned parents. Why? i think its because of the way our culture encourages it more and more while at the same time making it easier to shun true responsibility.
    Besides, in the cases like the ones you describe, most parents would probably have no problem securing this drug for their child. Afterall, they don't seemed to be concerned that their out engaging in adult behavior. If you don't care about your own kids, why would you want grandkids? These are the same parents who have no problem providing their kids with a six pack of Keystone and a box of Camel lights.
    It is irresponsible of a society and culture, IMO, to make this type of pill readily accessible to minors without parental knowledge.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."