Options

Harper unmoved by polls, remains firm on Mideast crisis, softwood

Comments

• Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    polaris wrote:
    well ... my plan would be similar to the one proposed by lebanon which calls for a disbanding of hezbollah and integration into the lebanese army ...

So that way Hizbullah will act as Lebanon official army so their future terror actions will considered to be legitimate. You have to understand Israel is one of the ways Hizbullah wants to achieve its real goal - bring the Shi'ite Muslims into the lead of Lebanon no matter what. Hezbollah's integration is just another step closer for the final destination. So far, Israel got them the most important thing - a massive support from the Lebanese people.They couldn't have got it in any other way but the attack on Israel - they knew our "recruit" new govt wouldn't sit quietly after this kind of provocation. Hizbullah said in several occasions they are planing to kill all the Lebanese polititions who are opposing them now (like they did with prime minister Hariri). They also mentioned they would do the same in one way or another to foreign arab polititions (from Jordan, Eygpt etc').

So no, I think it's a bad idea. And one more thing - Lebanon was supposed to get the help of international community in order to disarm the Hizbullah nearly 6 years ago. It didn't happen, so basically now it's time to implement this idea (along side with the real Lebanese army).
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    We'll see the final draft of the resolution. I think they want to participate in the Lebanese plan, which involve Lebanese troops supported by the international community, including withdraw of Israeli troops of Lebanon. Which can be twisted as pro-terrorist anti-israel pro-hezbollah, but i don't buy into that, solution for the region (including Palestine) is what they seek, just the means to achieve this seem to be the cause of disagreement, Israel and their supporters support the heavy military solution (which cause all the damages we've seen so far, in Israel and Lebanon). Lebanese govt. and their supporters prone to disarm of Hezbollah without fighting them, by giving them no reason to fight or exist anymore. (which is seen as pro-terrorist, pro Hezbollah, anti Israel, but i don't give a shit about those labels, already been painted as a terrorist by the Post, i guess i'm monitered by the SCRS as of now, hehe)
    In truth I think any solution is going to take a hundred years or more. There is too much mistrust and hatred for an immediate and effective peace plan. I'd like to see a plan that is realistic in scope and deliverables. One that addresses needs on all sides by ensuring that those needs change over the course of time to make a long lasting agreement attainable. These mickey nouse agreements that last 2 day or two months do nothing for the long term peace in the middle east.

Things I'm thankful today include that this has been an educational and respectful discourse.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    So that way Hizbullah will act as Lebanon official army so their future terror actions will considered to be legitimate. You have to understand Israel is one of the ways Hizbullah wants to achieve its real goal - bring the Shi'ite Muslims into the lead of Lebanon no matter what. Hezbollah's integration is just another step closer for the final destination. So far, Israel got them the most important thing - a massive support from the Lebanese people.They couldn't have got it in any other way but the attack on Israel - they knew our "recruit" new govt wouldn't sit quietly after this kind of provocation. Hizbullah said in several occasions they are planing to kill all the Lebanese polititions who are opposing them now (like they did with prime minister Hariri). They also mentioned they would do the same in one way or another to foreign arab polititions (from Jordan, Eygpt etc').

Sorry Shiraz, i don't believe that everyone who currently support Hezbollah are supporting the wiping off Israel thing, or the Lebanese politicians killing, right now they're supporting an army of resistance more than the terrorist group, not saying it's ok, but it seem to be what's happening.
    shiraz wrote:
    So no, I think it's a bad idea. And one more thing - Lebanon was supposed to get the help of international community in order to disarm the Hizbullah nearly 6 years ago. It didn't happen, so basically now it's time to implement this idea (along side with the real Lebanese army).

Agree 100% on that one, we might disagree on how it should be done, but it MUST be done. People should just stop to see things in pro-terrorist and anti-israel ways or pro-Israel anti-arab way. Everyone involved seek for the resolution of the conflict, nothing else. (my opinion)
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    surferdude wrote:
    Why hasn't Lebanon already done this? Isn't this a little like having the German army integrate nazis and members of the SS into their army after ww2?

But full props for putting a proposal together, even if I don't agree with it in detail.

well ... if the cia can integrate nazis why not lebanon? ... at the end of the day it is about holding the elected officials accountable ... right now hezbollah is not suffering ... the lebanese people are ...
  • Options
    And this sort of stuff doesn't do much for people's attitudes about Ontario, here in the West. I can see where Quebec is coming from much of the time, actually. Condescending, we-know-best, everyone-else-is-backward attitudes from people in Ontario are what fuel people's views out here.
    tolerance is such a Canadian myth.

is there any other province that votes ONE way? ... your entire province voted for the party and is the reason why its heading a minority ... not even quebec all votes BQ ... but of the larger provinces - its like the only one that votes a single party ...

but if you bothered to read what i responded to i don't see why you don't gripe to surferdude cause he wrote the exact same thing about quebec ... but the reality is alberta does not share similar views to the rest of the country ... that may sound condescending to you but there is truth to it ...
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:

like i said - its about holding the people accountable ... you cannot destory the lives of a peoples that have no say ... whatever the failures of the int'l community - this is the best option to me ...

if the lebanese elect people who want war - then they will get war ... but right now - they have not voted for this ... they voted to boot syria out ...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    United nations problems are coming out of the UN security council, not peacekeeping forces.

You should also get your facts straight, Lebanon was suppose to get Hezbollah disarm with the help of international community, didn't happen, now it's time to do it...
    The international community includes the UN. The UN problems is that it is full of corruption and the bottom line is if UN peace keeping is so effective, they sure have a a lot of people fooled. The only people that should be peacekeeping bettween Isreal and Hezbollah/Lebanon are countries from the region.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Sorry Shiraz, i don't believe that everyone who currently support Hezbollah are supporting the wiping off Israel thing, or the Lebanese politicians killing, right now they're supporting an army of resistance more than the terrorist group, not saying it's ok, but it seem to be what's happening.

I didn't talk about the people, I'm talking about the future of the area based on Hizbullah's actions in the past - They said more than once their real goal is to get the Shi'ite Muslims into the lead in Lebanon, they built their own country inside Lebanon with its own social & med services, they took over Lebanon's parlament after Syria took care for prime minister Hariri's murder, they draged the whole country for a war they knew will happen, they promised in public more than once they plan to kill more Lebanese politicians who are opposing them, so what's next? The world has to think about it as well, because if Hizbullah get even greater power than what they have now, the future of the whole area will be in danger.

I think there should be a cease-fire in the same time the Int forces & Lebanon's official army will replace the IDF and get weakened Hizbullah under their control. I also think the cease-fire agreement should include prisoners exchange. All the rest of the demands should be discussed only by Israel & the Lebanese govt later on.

In the meantime the UN keeps playing with my life, I can't understand why the hell they don't want to bring the Int forces now - Lebanon has no problem with that, Israel has no problem with that so who does, Hizbullah? So untill the UN stop being so impotent, the war will escalate and I'll have less chances for having my life back. So, remind me again why you guys don't want Canada to support the Int forces idea?
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    like i said - its about holding the people accountable ... you cannot destory the lives of a peoples that have no say ... whatever the failures of the int'l community - this is the best option to me ...

if the lebanese elect people who want war - then they will get war ... but right now - they have not voted for this ... they voted to boot syria out ...

Oh no, this is not another Iraq. I don't care about Lebanon's politics unless it effects the future of mid-east, where I live. Hizbullah will keep on trying to get weapons and use Israel (and Lebanon and god knows who else) as an excuse for their goals. I don't care if they will be in the lead, I worry about their way to get there - manipulations, provocations & massive violence.
  • Options
    beemster wrote:
    The international community includes the UN. The UN problems is that it is full of corruption and the bottom line is if UN peace keeping is so effective, they sure have a a lot of people fooled. The only people that should be peacekeeping bettween Isreal and Hezbollah/Lebanon are countries from the region.

The problem is - the countries from the region (beside Iran & Syria - Israel's wonderfull "friends") want to stay out of it. I also think the UN is a joke when it comes to deal with hostile situations, but what other real choice do we have? Though they kept bringing me down, I gotta trust them on that one.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    And this sort of stuff doesn't do much for people's attitudes about Ontario, here in the West. I can see where Quebec is coming from much of the time, actually. Condescending, we-know-best, everyone-else-is-backward attitudes from people in Ontario are what fuel people's views out here.
    tolerance is such a Canadian myth.

Interesting...

I was born in B.C., I spent some time living in Alberta and I've lived in Ontario for almost 10 years. There is stereotypical things to say about every province, e.g. "If 10,000 newfies moved to Quebec, it would raise the IQ in both provinces." Ontarioans always have to one-up people. B.C. is a bunch of Potheads. Alberta is full of oil hungry, greedy people, etc...

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter where you live, but if you've spent most of your life there, there is a good chance you think like the majority in that province. I'm all for decriminilization and stand behind my "liberal" views. B.C./Ontario in my brain. Alberta, honestly, I think it's a shitty province, too much weather, smells like manure, pollution, etc... West Edmonton Mall is nice though. One by one all these provinces stand up and say "hey we aren't being heard" when in reality, our government doesn't listen to any of us.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    I didn't talk about the people, I'm talking about the future of the area based on Hizbullah's actions in the past - They said more than once their real goal is to get the Shi'ite Muslims into the lead in Lebanon, they built their own country inside Lebanon with its own social & med services, they took over Lebanon's parlament after Syria took care for prime minister Hariri's murder, they draged the whole country for a war they knew will happen, they promised in public more than once they plan to kill more Lebanese politicians who are opposing them, so what's next? The world has to think about it as well, because if Hizbullah get even greater power than what they have now, the future of the whole area will be in danger.?

Don't forget that when face to the public in Lebanon, Hezbollah won only a small minority. Those who have this violent mind must be STOPPED, but Lebanon is not to blame, their people have not vote for Hezbollah. My point is, the support for Hezbollah, might vanish if Lebanon have a true army, ready to defend Lebanon, then there will be no need for Hezbollah, if they still exist, it will be up to the Lebanese govt. to be accountable for them, but right now they must get help (i think we agree on that later part).
    shiraz wrote:
    I think there should be a cease-fire in the same time the Int forces & Lebanon's official army will replace the IDF and get weakened Hizbullah under their control. I also think the cease-fire agreement should include prisoners exchange. All the rest of the demands should be discussed only by Israel & the Lebanese govt later on.

In the meantime the UN keeps playing with my life, I can't understand why the hell they don't want to bring the Int forces now - Lebanon has no problem with that, Israel has no problem with that so who does, Hizbullah? So untill the UN stop being so impotent, the war will escalate and I'll have less chances for having my life back. So, remind me again why you guys don't want Canada to support the Int forces idea?

Well there you lost me, i will clarify my thought before i go, i support the deployment of the Lebanese army in the south, with the help of an international forces, it's what i've been saying all along, so i don't know what you mean. UN are block again because of the security council and mostly thanks to your ally, the USA. The Arab league, the French, Russians are all saying what you just ask, only they want Israel to retreat now and they'll deal with the Hezbollah.

Canada sending forces have not yet been discuss around here, Canada silence and being a USA sheep is the problem. I don't think Canada is able to send troops, our small military is stretched cause we fight on another ground, Afghanistan. But i'd support a change of action, and i'd support Canada taking those troops in Afghan to bring them in Lebanon, sure. At least Lebanon don't have the same human rights violations problem, and once Hezbollah disappear, Lebanon is a true free country, unlike Afghanistan who's violation of human rights are still all over the place even if we're fighting for them, for their freedom and the mock racy.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    beemster wrote:
    Well you can live your life in fear, and listen to the fear mongers, your choice, I don't fear Harper any more than I feared Martin and Jean, the bottom line is the country is in the same shape it was 5 months ago, the economy is good we still have a surplus, we have no doctors, we wait 6-8 hours at hospitals to see a doctor, we are pathatic on crime and taxes are way too high. Now most of these problems could have been fixed by the lieberals or fiberals over the last ten years or so, they choose not too, therefore they were removed from power. Thats how our system works, now if people are not happy with Harper they can remove him, most likely spring/summer 2007, but it will most likely be another minority, whether its fiberal or PC is not yet known, but it will cost 300 million either way. So as far as I'm concerned all political parties need to work together, and hold off on another election until at least the fall 2008. The millions that is wasted on elections to get the same results could be better used to repair the health care system, the same as the 1+ billion spend on the gun registry that did not reduce gun crime in Toronto.

i see character. So i guess it will be the fiberals vs the brainwashing with us or against us undemocratic neocons. Harper is a bad man running the country based on whats in HIS head. He will steal his majority and make quebec seperate - thats one of his plans. All the while an unlected PM will send off Canadain soldiers to die killing more civilians than terrorists... i can see the future. I know what is in Harpers head. So i ask you, whats worse?
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    Don't forget that when face to the public in Lebanon, Hezbollah won only a small minority. Those who have this violent mind must be STOPPED, but Lebanon is not to blame, their people have not vote for Hezbollah. My point is, the support for Hezbollah, might vanish if Lebanon have a true army, ready to defend Lebanon, then there will be no need for Hezbollah, if they still exist, it will be up to the Lebanese govt. to be accountable for them, but right now they must get help (i think we agree on that later part).

Again, I wasn't talking about the people (I even wrote that on the first line of my post). I was talking about everyone's future: Hizbullah acts via evil ways to get to its goal, and that's what concerns me - Hizbullah attempts. They will use anyone in anyway to get what they want, and I don't know when or if they'll get there, only they're not gonna stop trying in the near future. I hope I was clear now.

UN are block again because of the security council and mostly thanks to your ally, the USA. The Arab league, the French, Russians are all saying what you just ask, only they want Israel to retreat now and they'll deal with the Hezbollah.

*edit (that stupid firefox erased some parts of my replay): No they don't, they want to have the Int armed forces getting AFTER a full cease-fire (= the IDF will move out first, they will come LATER). I don't trust their "later" and nither does the Lebanese people. That decision acts only for the sake of Hizbullah, and even Ruud agrees with me (did you see his new post under "my perspective" thread?). Hence in this case Canada being "a USA sheep" is not the problem, Its part of the solution.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Hence in this case Canada being "a USA sheep" is not the problem, Its part of the solution.

... for global tyranny.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    ... for global tyranny.

read my replay again - I had some problems with my firefox so parts of my replay were just erased.

I don't care about Lebanon's politics, I just want Hizbullah to leave us civilians alone ==> get that terror organization under control. I don't care if they will be in the lead as long as they stop hurting everyone (Israeli & Lebanese people) to get there.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    Again, I wasn't talking about the people (I even wrote that on the first line of my post). I was talking about everyone's future: Hizbullah acts via evil ways to get to its goal, and that's what concerns me - Hizbullah attempts. They will use anyone in anyway to get what they want, and I don't know when or if they'll get there, only they're not gonna stop trying in the near future. I hope I was clear now.

Sure i get it. What is the point of saying this? My point is that without popular support, Hezbollah will have more difficulty to live and exist, might have to move out of Lebanon if they want to continue their stupid religious war.
    shiraz wrote:
    No they don't, they want to have the Int armed forces AFTER a full "later", and nither does the Lebanese people. That decision acts only for the sake of Hizbullah, and even Ruud agrees with me (did you see his new post under "my perspective" thread?).

Hence in this case Canada being "a USA sheep" is not the problem, Its part of the solution.

USA have so far been blocking the resolutions proposal then making it longer to resolve it all, the reason why it's so long, this thing you just said is making you pissed off, so i don't know what to say. For the rest we'll have to wait the next proposals instead of assuming stuffs.

"France proposed new language on a total cease-fire and Israeli pullout, but the Americans rejected it out of concern that the Lebanese cannot assert control over Hizbullah strongholds in the South without help from a robust international force. "

"Earlier, French President Jacques Chirac urged the United States to cede quickly to some Arab demands for changes to a UN resolution on ending the Middle East crisis, saying letting the fighting drag on is "immoral."
    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1154525840174&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Sure i get it. What is the point of saying this? My point is that without popular support, Hezbollah will have more difficulty to live and exist, might have to move out of Lebanon if they want to continue their stupid religious war.

They will try with or without the support they have now. Remember the last 6 years - they started to gain popularity again after providing social & med services to the Shi'ites in southern Lebanon, they got Hariri (and other opposers) out of their way (via murder), and then a few seats in Lebanon's parlament which still allowed them to act as of they were in the lead. All of this (including the initial attack against Israel) happened when they had only a minor support - Its A LOT.
    shiraz wrote:
    *edit (that stupid firefox erased some parts of my replay): No they don't, they want to have the Int armed forces getting AFTER a full cease-fire (= the IDF will move out first, they will come LATER). I don't trust their "later" and nither does the Lebanese people. That decision acts only for the sake of Hizbullah, and even Ruud agrees with me (did you see his new post under "my perspective" thread?). Hence in this case Canada being "a USA sheep" is not the problem, Its part of the solution.

BTW, That was my final version, I think you missed it but never mind :)

"France proposed new language on a total cease-fire and Israeli pullout, but the Americans rejected it out of concern that the Lebanese cannot assert control over Hizbullah strongholds in the South without help from a robust international force. "

"Earlier, French President Jacques Chirac urged the United States to cede quickly to some Arab demands for changes to a UN resolution on ending the Middle East crisis, saying letting the fighting drag on is "immoral."

The main demand is that Int armed forces will come along LATER, instead of now. I think it is also immoral to leave me & ruud's life in the hands of the Hizbullah & a none-traind Lebanese army. Ruud agrees with me, btw.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    polaris wrote:
    is there any other province that votes ONE way? ... your entire province voted for the party and is the reason why its heading a minority ... not even quebec all votes BQ ... but of the larger provinces - its like the only one that votes a single party ...

but if you bothered to read what i responded to i don't see why you don't gripe to surferdude cause he wrote the exact same thing about quebec ... but the reality is alberta does not share similar views to the rest of the country ... that may sound condescending to you but there is truth to it ...

You can acccuse me of bias, sure ... But you're just as bad in this regard. You don't make a peep when someone talks about Quebec not sharing views with the rest of the country, but you jump right in to take a shot at Alberta whenever you get the chance.
  • Options
    not4u wrote:
    i see character. So i guess it will be the fiberals vs the brainwashing with us or against us undemocratic neocons. Harper is a bad man running the country based on whats in HIS head. He will steal his majority and make quebec seperate - thats one of his plans. All the while an unlected PM will send off Canadain soldiers to die killing more civilians than terrorists... i can see the future. I know what is in Harpers head. So i ask you, whats worse?

If Quebec seperates, and thats the only thing he accomplishes, then we should have a national holiday for that day.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    shiraz wrote:
    The problem is - the countries from the region (beside Iran & Syria - Israel's wonderfull "friends") want to stay out of it. I also think the UN is a joke when it comes to deal with hostile situations, but what other real choice do we have? Though they kept bringing me down, I gotta trust them on that one.

I agree, thats my point. Everyone in the region wants Isreal and the International community to stop the war, but they do not want to peacekeep the region themselves. Well if those countries do no want help keep the peace and to bring the terrorist to justice, and want to continue to allow terrorist to pass through untouched then I'm afraid Isreal will continue with the war.

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    beemster wrote:
    I agree, thats my point. Everyone in the region wants Isreal and the International community to stop the war, but they do not want to peacekeep the region themselves. Well if those countries do no want help keep the peace and to bring the terrorist to justice, and want to continue to allow terrorist to pass through untouched then I'm afraid Isreal will continue with the war.

Yeah, I am waiting for countries like France and Germany to commit peacekeeping troops. I mean, a firm commitment ... Stop going back and forth.
  • Options
    beemster wrote:

And that's exactly what we are doing out of no choice, continue with that war. I'm going to say something really awful: We got 15 dead army reserved soliders from today's combats only. I hope this will make my govt to re-consider its new decision of entering a MASSIVE forces to Lebanon, all the way till the Litany river :(
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    beemster wrote:
    If Quebec seperates, and thats the only thing he accomplishes, then we should have a national holiday for that day.

then you surely stand where you are.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    beemster wrote:

Your seem to be a very unproud Canadian to say that (which goes hand-in-hand with your O'Reily euphanism Canuckistan....makes me gag.... no offence)....to see Quebec separate would be horrible IMHO....from serious reasons to less serious reasons......I would be disappointed...I love that our country has such a diverse culture...I will take that over the "melting-pot" in the south.

I've seen some of your comments as for healthcare...for the record our system ranks higher than the States (I got this information from both a Macleans magazine and a promoter of private health clinics in Canada who stresses the public system will benefit if both work hand-in-hand)....HOWEVER does have problems....some recommended solutions IMHO would be to allow doctors (after working a MINIMUM of 35 public hours) the opportunity to practice privatly (but they have to do the public system first).....however the private services would be limited to only non-living threatening procedures.

For example take Alberta's 3 month trial with joint replacement surgery which allowed people to pay for the treatment...trends showed that the public sector waiting list could potentially decrease by 30%....which is fairly good. However organ transplants will and only remain public. Further along these private clinics, that are I guess opening nation wide soon, are a good idea. People could have access to MRI's, an actual detailed physical, etc. Which would further bring down national waiting lists. BUT the doctors would still be required the minimum.

To add-in, just cause as a citizen you would choose to go private...your taxes remain the same. I think it could work, and it is not that scary. But as a proud socialist minded Canadian I will remain to the public system where I have yet to receive any shoddy service. Hell it has always been great...when I NEEDED something done it was done ASAP...however when you WANT something done it can wait longer b/c severity should ultimately be the priority and not what is in your wallet. But I think a system I mentioned above would help ease the strain of the public system but at the same time allow free healthcare to everyone efficiently. Modifications are needed an over-haul is not. However a dual system will create more bureaucracy.....

As for the gun registry blah....I dunno...most guns are coming from across the border so essentially the idea does not apply to those illegal weapons. However I think the premise is noble and if managed properly could be an effective tool for justice. But it was not.

As for high taxes....the GST will always stay....the amount of money made by the government on even a 6% GST is astounding...to eliminate it would be ecomomic suicide...I take it as a thing I have to live with and do not worry. As for 2007 I expect to see the Liberals back in power again...Canada naturally is a left-leaning country from the get-go as America is naturally a right-leaning country from the get-go....that will always remain the same....unless something radical happens....as for the term PC....I don't think so...there is nothing progressive about this Conservative party.....I really wish the PC's had a party again one without the Reform aspect to it....it presented a more moderate view for Canada...the new party is skewed way too socially right for my liking....believe it not I consider myself fiscally Conservative but socially way way left (all about personal choice...just because you wouldn't do it does not mean the person next to you shouldn't be able to...I apply this to abortion, gay-marriage (how it is performed), etc.)

Gotta ask why do you sound so disgusted with Canada?
  • Options
    Why all the hate?

I don't hate the United States. I'm proud to be Canadian, but I accept that Canada has it's flaws, and am willing to work to change those flaws. When Canadians bash Canada for not being as "good as the States" it really upsets me. You'd think that with all this bitching about how Canada "doesn't have it's own identity" we'd try and search for a unique one rather than constantly comparing ourselves to the States. But what disturbs me even more is the level of Anti-American sentiment in Canada.

I love my country, but I will admit its imperfections.
    I respect the United States of America, but I also admit its imperfections. This country bashing needs to stop. Mutual respect is the only way to build understanding.
    Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick, and it lived happily ever after. The End.
  • Options
    So a lot of people are saying that this guy is okay because he's sticking to his guns and all that jive, but does that really make him a good guy or a stubborn shit that doesn't listen to anybody? Just asking.
  • Options
    Why all the hate?

I don't hate the United States. I'm proud to be Canadian, but I accept that Canada has it's flaws, and am willing to work to change those flaws. When Canadians bash Canada for not being as "good as the States" it really upsets me. You'd think that with all this bitching about how Canada "doesn't have it's own identity" we'd try and search for a unique one rather than constantly comparing ourselves to the States. But what disturbs me even more is the level of Anti-American sentiment in Canada.

I love my country, but I will admit its imperfections.
    I respect the United States of America, but I also admit its imperfections. This country bashing needs to stop. Mutual respect is the only way to build understanding.

Good post...I will add though that the "anti-American" attitude only hit the main when Bush came into power and went into overload over the Iraq war...prior to that it was at very low levels....also I think the term anti-American seems to generalize a distrust/like for the people...when it in fact appears to be more anti-American government than anything else....
  • Options
    So a lot of people are saying that this guy is okay because he's sticking to his guns and all that jive, but does that really make him a good guy or a stubborn shit that doesn't listen to anybody? Just asking.

No its his view and stance...one that seems to be the minority for the people...you have to remember two leaders ago we practically told Bush we aint helping you in Iraq because there is no proof of any wrong doing which raised tensions....you know good neighbour and that stuff....however during that time frame our current PM made remarks to the Wall Street Journal apologizing on the behalf of Canada for not aiding the USA in the Iraqi war...which has created this mystique of evil-doing that shadows Harper....however I believe his stance is somewhat related on improving relations with the USA...he would never have the guts to actually deploy troops (political suicide up here)....however I do believe his stance his to show he is a good neighbour...does that live up the evil hype? I really dunno....however I do not agree with him at all through this agenda and it is appears this stance will empower the side that casts him as a dark figure....it will undoubtly be used against him next election....
  • Options
    No its his view and stance...one that seems to be the minority for the people...you have to remember two leaders ago we practically told Bush we aint helping you in Iraq because there is no proof of any wrong doing which raised tensions....you know good neighbour and that stuff....however during that time frame our current PM made remarks to the Wall Street Journal apologizing on the behalf of Canada for not aiding the USA in the Iraqi war...which has created this mystique of evil-doing that shadows Harper....however I believe his stance is somewhat related on improving relations with the USA...he would never have the guts to actually deploy troops (political suicide up here)....however I do believe his stance his to show he is a good neighbour...does that live up the evil hype? I really dunno....however I do not agree with him at all through this agenda and it is appears this stance will empower the side that casts him as a dark figure....it will undoubtly be used against him next election....

Canada didn't support the Iraq war because there was no evidence supporting the war. I personally agree with Canada's previous stance on the Iraq war, Harper is putting Canada on it's knees before the U.S.A.

If a small minority of people agree with Harper's actions, he shouldn't be doing what he is doing.

He is taking us into an American Union which will just make us part of the USA with Mexico and we will all be Americans.

It would seem Harper is a puppet for the Americans.