Its Time To talk About Water...

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    WHAT!? you BUY water to fill your RAIN tank? where is that water coming from?

i dont have a garden, and in the 11 years ive been in my humble abode, have never watered even the smallest blade of grass, cause as you know we got no water, ;) so theres no need for me to watch don bourke's rant about water conservation re: my property.

i never quite understood the fascination for a lovely green lawn in australia. must be an english thing we haven't gotten over yet. i mean come on aussies, this is one of the driest places on earth not gloucestershire.

It's pretty standard practice in the bush to buy in water cate. Actually it's fairly standard in arid areas. The only water we have at the bush place is tank water, so if it springs a leak or something manages to die in there the whole lot has to be cleaned out and water bought in from a water man. And if it's a bad year for rain water and the tank doesn't fill, then yeah, we buy in water. Actually if we had a bushfire we'd probably have to use the tank, which would empty pretty quickly so I guess if we survived it we'd have to buy in water then too. I don't know where they get it, I'd assume one of the catchment reservoirs. Guy comes in his tanker and fills it up. It's been a while since we had to buy it so I'm not sure what the cost is. But OLS would know. He has to buy in his water. I'm assuming the cost would be similar to America are at the moment because of the exchange rate. The water from the creek is not fit for human consumption, so we can't drink it or wash in it. Might come in handy if there was a fire but I suspect if there was a fire the creek would be down on account of the summer anyway so it'd be so low that we'd never get enough water out of it anyway.

:D You've seen my place. I hardly think we're rabid greenthumbs. ;) We recycle the water and pour it on the garden so the few things we do have don't die in the dry but if we need to conserve water to the extent that we're not washing clothes or rinsing out recycle then the garden would miss out. But I've NEVER watered a lawn in my life and I'm not about to start now! :D I'd love to have like my neighbour, who has a little bush type setting in her front yard but it would take a fair bit of work to remove the lawn and plant everything so I'm not sure we'd be conserving anything that way either.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • know1 wrote:
    It's disappearing "like crazy"?

Yes. There is great concern about the Great Lakes, for example. I watched this show last week (can't remember which one), and they siad that Lake Superior had dropped something like 15 inches in a ridiculously short period of time. Its like someone pulled a plug. But check out other areas like Lake Mead or Lake Lanier in Georgia. They're drying up man.

That Times article I posted earlier was interesting. It stated that if we were to now have the devastating kind of droughts that we've have historically, it would be game over for some areas. It said some of the droughts have gone on for 60 years or more, something that would be catastrophic now because there's simply no reserves to count on, and because we're suckin' up too much of the shit. One expert said the chances of major problems developing were much likely than unlikely.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanie wrote:
    It's pretty standard practice in the bush to buy in water cate. Actually it's fairly standard in arid areas. The only water we have at the bush place is tank water, so if it springs a leak or something manages to die in there the whole lot has to be cleaned out and water bought in from a water man. And if it's a bad year for rain water and the tank doesn't fill, then yeah, we buy in water. Actually if we had a bushfire we'd probably have to use the tank, which would empty pretty quickly so I guess if we survived it we'd have to buy in water then too. I don't know where they get it, I'd assume one of the catchment reservoirs. Guy comes in his tanker and fills it up. It's been a while since we had to buy it so I'm not sure what the cost is. But OLS would know. He has to buy in his water. I'm assuming the cost would be similar to America are at the moment because of the exchange rate. The water from the creek is not fit for human consumption, so we can't drink it or wash in it. Might come in handy if there was a fire but I suspect if there was a fire the creek would be down on account of the summer anyway so it'd be so low that we'd never get enough water out of it anyway.

:D You've seen my place. I hardly think we're rabid greenthumbs. ;) We recycle the water and pour it on the garden so the few things we do have don't die in the dry but if we need to conserve water to the extent that we're not washing clothes or rinsing out recycle then the garden would miss out. But I've NEVER watered a lawn in my life and I'm not about to start now! :D I'd love to have like my neighbour, who has a little bush type setting in her front yard but it would take a fair bit of work to remove the lawn and plant everything so I'm not sure we'd be conserving anything that way either.

just ignorant cityfolk here. you know our water appears as if by magic every time i turn the tap on. ;):D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    just ignorant cityfolk here. you know our water appears as if by magic every time i turn the tap on. ;):D

TRUST ME! :D This ignorant city girl did catch on REAL quick that first Summer we ran out of water on account of my showering habits! :D

Now I'm eyeing off the tank every weekend, wondering if it'll see us through the Summer. But there's no hot water at the moment so that is helping IMMENSELY with water conservation! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Jeanie wrote:
    Not that I can hold it up as a fine example because it isn't, but Australia has been in the grip of a drought for a very long time and we are living with water restrictions now. Perhaps, desalination plants aside, the general population needs to be looking at some of the things we have implimented to capture rainwater, utilize what falls on our properties and the water recycling techniques we employ as individuals. While all that's going on, you probably need to lobby your government for long term solutions as well.
    nah, I think that is a fine example.

Moving to Colorado from Illinois where I didn't think 1 second about water supply was a little eye opening. 80 percent of the water used in the Colorado front range comes straight from the snow pack. No snow, no water. In 2002 we had a crappy snow season, we had a drought and in comes the water restrictions. It most certainly wasn't a big deal and in no way was I concerned about where my next shower was coming from, but it was odd that we were only allowed to water our lawn on certain days for example. It was strange that most of the lakes around were literally at 40 percent capacity when just a year earlier they were full. there are certain rivers I need to fish since they are threatned to disappear, all depending on the snow season.

Our water bill per month is more than our electricity bill. Now I accept that is how it is. I do my part, take 'Navy' showers, we use old bath water for the flowers, turn the water off while brushing and minor things like that. We use the kids saying 'If it is yellow let it mellow...' for flushing the toilet. I drive my wife crazy though she plays along.

What needs to change here is the antiquated water laws. 91% of the water usage in Colorado statewide goes for Ag use. There are water laws that just need updating and there needs to be more efficient ways to water crops for example. I mean only 9% is used for your day to day household city activites (including watering Golf Courses that everybody loves to point out as being the problem). Hell, there is even talk about a 9 hole course that will strictly use artificial turf.

That said, I won't be the one worried per se about our water supply, but you can be damn sure I am aware of it and keep my eye on the snowpack during the winter.
    transplant wrote:
    nah, I think that is a fine example.

Moving to Colorado from Illinois where I didn't think 1 second about water supply was a little eye opening. 80 percent of the water used in the Colorado front range comes straight from the snow pack. No snow, no water. In 2002 we had a crappy snow season, we had a drought and in comes the water restrictions. It most certainly wasn't a big deal and in no way was I concerned about where my next shower was coming from, but it was odd that we were only allowed to water our lawn on certain days for example. It was strange that most of the lakes around were literally at 40 percent capacity when just a year earlier they were full. there are certain rivers I need to fish since they are threatned to disappear, all depending on the snow season.

Our water bill per month is more than our electricity bill. Now I accept that is how it is. I do my part, take 'Navy' showers, we use old bath water for the flowers, turn the water off while brushing and minor things like that. We use the kids saying 'If it is yellow let it mellow...' for flushing the toilet. I drive my wife crazy though she plays along.

What needs to change here is the antiquated water laws. 91% of the water usage in Colorado statewide goes for Ag use. There are water laws that just need updating and there needs to be more efficient ways to water crops for example. I mean only 9% is used for your day to day household city activites (including watering Golf Courses that everybody loves to point out as being the problem). Hell, there is even talk about a 9 hole course that will strictly use artificial turf.

That said, I won't be the one worried per se about our water supply, but you can be damn sure I am aware of it and keep my eye on the snowpack during the winter.

Yeah, we've had that whole debate going on here too. Especially around the "food bowl" of the Murray Darling.
    I think that's what pisses me off about it. Up until a few years ago they were using drinking water from the water catchments to flush out the Burnley Tunnel every day. And industry STILL isn't required to impliment its own water storage, which would go a long way to fixing problems. I really have to wonder at a country as dry as Australia having cotton crops! I mean c'mon! They've had a lot of rain in the north apparently, flooding even, but that's not what happened here and not bagging the farmers but seriously when will sustainable farming practice begin and WHY do we need to be supplying the rest of the world with cotton and the like when we cannot farm it here, clearly. But then up until a few years ago it was illegal to have a rainwater tank in a suburban residence. :rolleyes: I mean for goodness sake! What IDIOT came up with that plan? I see us "joe public" racing around doing our pissy little bit, and not all of us I might add, they've even got a water patrol coming around and issuing on the spot fines if you're found doing the wrong thing but nobody seems to be policing those that are the biggest users or attempting to stop them using unsustainable methods. I'm not against farming and agriculture obviously but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that some things simply cannot continue if we want to continue to live on this continent. We're going to end up like Africa if we keep this up. I love how they've got plans for recycled effluent to be pumped into the drinking water supply in Queensland but no talk of first using that kind of water on crops.
    Anyway, there was an excellent snow season this year from what I saw reported but still the rivers are down. It isn't going to be enough to sustain us. And if they keep logging the way they do and not paying attention to what is needed for rain to happen as well as what is needed to stop run off, then we're all gonna end up living out Tank Girl here in Australia. Well that's my thoughts anyway.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • I wonder if everything living in water can filter out all the toxins to survive?

Oh right....they can't.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Ok, time for the stupid question of the day.

We don't use much water outdoors ... we don't wash our cars until they're filthy, and when the lawn stops growing we don't water it, we say "Yay, no mowing!" Most of my water wasting is long showers, letting the water run constantly while washing dishes, etc.

I live less than a mile from Lake Erie. When I take a shower, the water goes down the drain, through our water treatment plant, and back into Lake Erie, so how is it "wasted"?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    hippiemom wrote:

We don't use much water outdoors ... we don't wash our cars until they're filthy, and when the lawn stops growing we don't water it, we say "Yay, no mowing!" Most of my water wasting is long showers, letting the water run constantly while washing dishes, etc.

I live less than a mile from Lake Erie. When I take a shower, the water goes down the drain, through our water treatment plant, and back into Lake Erie, so how is it "wasted"?

:D I was wondering the exact same thing myself.

Of course it's probably a helluva lot worse off for having touched us, our pipes, sewers, chems etc....but most of it's still going back to the source.......right?
    hippiemom wrote:

That's probably a different situation to here Mom. Our water is down the drain out to the sewerage and then pumped into the bay. That's a waste. Plus we are all trying to find more than one use for it. So we're all running about looking at ways we can use our "grey water". So I think it would be ok for me to wash my car using the water from the washing machine but we're not allowed to use water from the tap to do that. And I'd love to see the water from my shower piped to the toilet cistern to use for flushing the toilet. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I drink as much water as I can a day. its good for the body. it gives life.

the day someone says i cant have a glass of water im losing it.

I will make a sign that says Macgyver06 so you all will know :) when the news has got me on the bridge or skyscraper ready to jump :)
  • Wow. Some people here are obviously living a long way outside reality. Jlew, you need to venture outside the little box that you apparently live in if you think governments aren't already restricting water use. Try living in SE queensland, or any metro area in Australia these days.

We do need to seriously rethink our attitudes to water use in this country. You don't realise how much water you waste on a daily basis until you start to pay attention. Occasionally my toilet cistern doesn't refill after flushing. Not sure why, maybe some crap stuck in the pipe or something, but when it happens I have to manually fill the cistern with a bucket. Do that for a couple of days and you'll start to appreciate how much good clean drinking water you use just to flush shit away.

Jeanie - A couple of your points sounded kinda strange to me. Why do you need an electric toothbrush to save water? You don't have to leave the tap running with a normal toothbrush either. And it doesn't matter where you wash your car. At home or somewhere else, it still uses the same amount of water???

Why use treated water on crops? Agriculture uses raw water directly from the river or bore or whatever. Using treated recycled water would just be a waste of energy. It makes far more sense to return that treated water to the domestic supply where it is needed.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
    Scubascott wrote:
    Wow. Some people here are obviously living a long way outside reality. Jlew, you need to venture outside the little box that you apparently live in if you think governments aren't already restricting water use. Try living in SE queensland, or any metro area in Australia these days.

We do need to seriously rethink our attitudes to water use in this country. You don't realise how much water you waste on a daily basis until you start to pay attention. Occasionally my toilet cistern doesn't refill after flushing. Not sure why, maybe some crap stuck in the pipe or something, but when it happens I have to manually fill the cistern with a bucket. Do that for a couple of days and you'll start to appreciate how much good clean drinking water you use just to flush shit away.

Jeanie - A couple of your points sounded kinda strange to me. Why do you need an electric toothbrush to save water? You don't have to leave the tap running with a normal toothbrush either. And it doesn't matter where you wash your car. At home or somewhere else, it still uses the same amount of water???

Why use treated water on crops? Agriculture uses raw water directly from the river or bore or whatever. Using treated recycled water would just be a waste of energy. It makes far more sense to return that treated water to the domestic supply where it is needed.

I use much less water using the electric toothbrush scott, I wasn't recommending it as a water saving device. :) Just my personal experience has been I use less water and make much less mess requiring water to clean up with the electric.
    As to washing the car, it doesn't get washed, because we're not allowed to wash it at home with our restrictions and I can rarely afford to take it to the car wash where they recycle their water. Does that make sense?
    With regard to the treated water on crops, I was simply saying that I have absolutely no desire to wash or drink in recycled effluent so if they're planning to go to all the trouble and waste of energy on this reverse osmosis business I'd prefer they utilized it for other things than putting it in with the catchment water.
    Actually edit: I believe they are already using treated water on some of the market gardens around here. And I do wish they'd utilize it for toilets for instance.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Scubascott wrote:

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but every toilet I saw in Cologne and Amsterdam had two flush buttons, a large one and a small one ... the small flush uses about half as much water as the large one, and after all, for most flushes you don't really need much. I thought it was a clever idea.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Unless you have one of those ultra modern eco toilets, fill a large 2 liter pop bottle with water and drop it in the toilet tank. It displaces and saves 2 liters of water per flush. You can also use a smaller bottle if necessary.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    how about we get it through our heads that it is unecessary to flush everytime we do a pee.

if it's yellow let it mellow
    if it's brown flush it down
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • YoyoyoYoyoyo Posts: 310
    Desalination is not going to be a viable alternative. It is very expensive, requiring huge water pressures, large amounts of energy, precise membrane technologies, and a shit ton of servicing. As well it is slow, a large plant still produces very little potable water.

In North America it will be mandated in the near future that you need duel flush toilets that use very little water to flush away #1. Storage type hot water heaters will be replaced with demand style. Grey water recycling systems will be required. ETC. All this stuff has been around for a very long time, its just typical that North America is one of the last to admit/deal with the problem.

Water is wasted by pollutants. Any above ground water source, like lakes and rivers, are far more polluted than rain water and below ground sources. When water is taken from a lake it is taken from a specific layer of the water/pollutant mixture. As water is used chemicals are added that are naturally coherant to the water molecule, making them more dense and sinking to the bottom. The opposite occurs with molecules that repel the water molecule, they float unless they are naturally more dense. Water treatment facilities work to floculate, scrub or skim most of these impurities out, but the shear amount of waste created makes it impossible for the quality of waste to be where it should be.

The majority of fresh water, recent rain or snow melt, is being used by agriculture. Fresh water lakes are drying up, aquifers are drying up, the glaciers are melting(becoming salinated)... A big ditch is going to be built from Northern Canada to the Eastern USA soon. Maybe along the American Union highway...
    No need to be void, or save up on life

You got to spend it all
  • hippiemom wrote:
    I don't know about the rest of Europe, but every toilet I saw in Cologne and Amsterdam had two flush buttons, a large one and a small one ... the small flush uses about half as much water as the large one, and after all, for most flushes you don't really need much. I thought it was a clever idea.

We have these in Australia too.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • how about we get it through our heads that it is unecessary to flush everytime we do a pee.

if it's yellow let it mellow
    if it's brown flush it down

Heh. That is exactly what we've often had to do during dry spells when there is no rainwater. You'd be surprised how stinky the toilet gets. . . .

-C Addison
    Scubascott wrote:
    Heh. That is exactly what we've often had to do during dry spells when there is no rainwater. You'd be surprised how stinky the toilet gets. . . .

no i wouldn't be surprised scott. :D and tis not as if you leave it brewing for days.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeanie, what do have against using recycled water for domestic purposes? It works in Europe. They say that water there has already been through an average of seven other stomachs before it gets to yours. It blew my mind when Toowoomba put the issue to a vote, and there were actually people on the street campaigning against recycled water.

It makes me really sad to think about how much beautiful and unique country is going to be lost in SE queensland when the state government starts building more dams to meet the growing demand for domestic water. I just hope they never act on the ideas to dam the Clarence. The souther parts of the Clarence catchment are one of my absolute favourite places in the world, and it would be heartbreaking to see it all drowned under a dam.

-C Addison
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    hippiemom wrote:
    Every so often there will be a story in the local paper about some city out west wanting to make some sort of deal to siphon off Great Lakes water for their use. That idea is never well-received here. I mean, why didn't they use their heads to begin with? You build a big city in the middle of the desert (Las Vegas, Phoenix, wherever), dont you think you should have put a little thought into this water thing BEFORE you built the golf courses.? We've chosen to live near a major water source (as sensible people have been doing since the dawn of time). You want to live in a desert, that's your priviledge, but you go find your own water. You want ours, move back here .... our population is dropping, we could use you.

golf courses use some much water on their land it is unreal.
    i did read an articale about this.
    water is wasted in large amounts in this countries.
    isn't Georgia running low on water?
    i mean, it's only 410 degrees in that fuckin state.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Scubascott wrote:
    Jeanie, what do have against using recycled water for domestic purposes? It works in Europe. They say that water there has already been through an average of seven other stomachs before it gets to yours. It blew my mind when Toowoomba put the issue to a vote, and there were actually people on the street campaigning against recycled water.

It makes me really sad to think about how much beautiful and unique country is going to be lost in SE queensland when the state government starts building more dams to meet the growing demand for domestic water. I just hope they never act on the ideas to dam the Clarence. The souther parts of the Clarence catchment are one of my absolute favourite places in the world, and it would be heartbreaking to see it all drowned under a dam.

That's great. I'm happy for Europe.
    I'm not interested in showering, washing my clothes or drinking recycled water. I'd be even less interested in utilizing recycled water for those purposes if I was in Europe. I think you'll find that people aren't campaigning against recycled water. They're objecting to it being added to the "natural" water supply. And I know that plenty of them are less than impressed with the idea of more dams too. It's not about not wanting to do what we can to come up with better solutions to this problem, it's about the ridiculous jumps that the governments are making to things like drinking recycled sewerage and Bracksy's little baby, the desalination plant. :rolleyes:
    I'll never be for it and certainly not when I know just how much fresh drinking water is being wasted by industry and on crops that just shouldn't be here.
    There are so many other options that they haven't bothered with. Tis too stupid for words.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    i personally will not be low on water anytime soon.
    this is one rainy ass forest.
    im good to go.
    when i go for a hike i'll get a thingy filled up with a very fresh waterfall, yum.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • This was a dry summer where I live. Everyone's lawn was brown pretty much all summer long, as they had a few water bans.

Funny how I'm not allowed to wash my car at home, yet I can take it to any one of the numerous gas station car washes or those self serve "pay and spray" places (all of which remained open). I would use less water at home.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    This was a dry summer where I live. Everyone's lawn was brown pretty much all summer long, as they had a few water bans.

Funny how I'm not allowed to wash my car at home, yet I can take it to any one of the numerous gas station car washes or those self serve "pay and spray" places (all of which remained open). I would use less water at home.

in the towns near where i live, their will never be a car wash.
    why you may ask.
    because the towns do not want to pollute the ocean we live on with car wash soaps, wax, whatever.
    this is what i am told.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Jeanie wrote:
    I'm not interested in showering, washing my clothes or drinking recycled water. I'd be even less interested in utilizing recycled water for those purposes if I was in Europe. I think you'll find that people aren't campaigning against recycled water. They're objecting to it being added to the "natural" water supply. And I know that plenty of them are less than impressed with the idea of more dams too. It's not about not wanting to do what we can to come up with better solutions to this problem, it's about the ridiculous jumps that the governments are making to things like drinking recycled sewerage and Bracksy's little baby, the desalination plant. :rolleyes:
    I'll never be for it and certainly not when I know just how much fresh drinking water is being wasted by industry and on crops that just shouldn't be here.
    There are so many other options that they haven't bothered with. Tis too stupid for words.

jeanie jeanie jeanie you know governments just talk talk talk when it comes to our water situ. they dont want to start anything they cant finish within their term and get credit for. hence no desal plants unless private industry decides to take it out of the governments' hands. and oh boy won't that be a glorious day!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    chadwick wrote:
    i personally will not be low on water anytime soon.
    this is one rainy ass forest.
    im good to go.
    when i go for a hike i'll get a thingy filled up with a very fresh waterfall, yum.

ewwww....I'm pretty sure that no one wants drinking water from a rainy ass forest :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Water raining from the ass of a forest?

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Jeanie wrote:

The fear of recycled water is all in your head. I dare you to taste a sample of recycled water and a sample of treated water fresh from the storages and tell me that you can tell the difference. Recycled water is safe as far as I understand. The only potential risk that I've ever heard anyone argue is that some things like hormones might not be destroyed by the treatment process. That's easily fixed with ozone treatment anyway.

I for one, would be very happy to drink recycled sewerage water. . . and I'm a microbiologist ;). It makes far more sense to recycle water in the cites than to try to send it to agricultural areas. I'd need to see some numbers to be sure, but I can't imagine that it would be more efficient to send recycled water from Sydney or Melbourne to the irrigation areas in the M/D than it would be to keep it in the municipal water system.

As for growing rice and cotton. . . you're probably right, but until there are incentives for farmers to make a living doing something else, they'll continue to do what they can to produce a crop that is worth something.

-C Addison