Options

Its Time To talk About Water...

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    well thats the question. why is it expensive (or difficult) seems like a rather simple thing to do. remove salt from water, filter and clean water, drink water.

but what do you mean it isnt in our part of the world?
    I've always wondered about that too. I mean, where I come from... my county is the lakelands of Ireland, a lake for every day of the year all within about an hour and a half of driving... the longest river in Ireland and Britain (the Shannon) rises here... not to mention the fact that we're an inland county on AN ISLAND... a small island surrounded by OCEANS of fucking water! And they tell us not to water our fucking lawns if it doesn't rain for two weeks :eek: Don't be fucking ridiculous... if it doesn't rain for two weeks, it's not like it's never gonna rain again... it's fucking IRELAND... it rains all the time :eek:

Also, ya know those outside taps on houses for watering lawns and washing cars and stuff? Well it doesn't NEED to be fresh water pumped into them or even clean water :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,915637,00.html

you've got to think that this is a band-aid fix tho....it would HAVE to screw up the natural order in some way, wouldn't it?

Hang on... isn't Antarctica protected? How can they just TAKE?

'Prince Faisal's own company, Iceberg Transport International, is considering a plan to find a 100 million-ton iceberg off Antarctica,* wrap it in sailcloth and plastic to slow its melting, and then use powerful tugboats to tow it to the Arabian peninsula, where it would supply enormous quantities of drinking water. The journey would take about eight months and the project would cost around $100 million, according to estimates.'
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Its hard to read an article like this and not be concerned (I've seen many like this):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/magazine/21water-t.html

As for desalinisation, its expensive and there's the question of what to do with the piles of brine that result from the process. Dumping it back into the ocean presents just another problem.
    Tuna fish :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    We do need to seriously rethink our attitudes to water use in this country. You don't realise how much water you waste on a daily basis until you start to pay attention. Occasionally my toilet cistern doesn't refill after flushing. Not sure why, maybe some crap stuck in the pipe or something, but when it happens I have to manually fill the cistern with a bucket. Do that for a couple of days and you'll start to appreciate how much good clean drinking water you use just to flush shit away.

Jeanie - A couple of your points sounded kinda strange to me. Why do you need an electric toothbrush to save water? You don't have to leave the tap running with a normal toothbrush either. And it doesn't matter where you wash your car. At home or somewhere else, it still uses the same amount of water???
    but for flushing toilets why can't they use sea water or non fresh water? I mean the water in your toilet doesn't have to be drinkable :confused:

Same with the water in the showers... the salt in sea water would make a great exfoliant anyway :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I don't know about the rest of Europe, but every toilet I saw in Cologne and Amsterdam had two flush buttons, a large one and a small one ... the small flush uses about half as much water as the large one, and after all, for most flushes you don't really need much. I thought it was a clever idea.
    :) Yep, most NEW toilets here have them too. I'm not sure if they're mandatory in new houses but any new houses I've been in have them... by new I mean maybe 3 years
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Hang on... isn't Antarctica protected? How can they just TAKE?

'Prince Faisal's own company, Iceberg Transport International, is considering a plan to find a 100 million-ton iceberg off Antarctica,* wrap it in sailcloth and plastic to slow its melting, and then use powerful tugboats to tow it to the Arabian peninsula, where it would supply enormous quantities of drinking water. The journey would take about eight months and the project would cost around $100 million, according to estimates.'

i suspect prince faisal has been out in the sun a touch too long. LMAO!! :rolleyes: :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Also, ya know those outside taps on houses for watering lawns and washing cars and stuff? Well it doesn't NEED to be fresh water pumped into them or even clean water :confused:

Um, Helen. . . why don't you try washing your car and watering your lawn with seawater and report back to us. I'm really curious to see how it works out for you.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    jeanie jeanie jeanie you know governments just talk talk talk when it comes to our water situ. they dont want to start anything they cant finish within their term and get credit for. hence no desal plants unless private industry decides to take it out of the governments' hands. and oh boy won't that be a glorious day!

Yeah, Bracksy has already signed us up cate. And as he was fairly convinced it was signed, sealed and delivered and he wasn't planning on backing down, He's already gone, so the credit won't be his on completion but I'd say that Brumby will continue on with the plan. Not that I'm thinking there will be much credit because there are already a lot of people not in favor of it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/bracks-49bn-water-plan/2007/06/19/1182019116320.html
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, Bracksy has already signed us up cate. And as he was fairly convinced it was signed, sealed and delivered and he wasn't planning on backing down, He's already gone, so the credit won't be his on completion but I'd say that Brumby will continue on with the plan. Not that I'm thinking there will be much credit because there are already a lot of people not in favor of it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/bracks-49bn-water-plan/2007/06/19/1182019116320.html

i can see it now. what d'you mean it's not a done deal, bracksy swore to us before he skedaddled with his fat pension, the ink was dry. :D

i dont wanna drink poo water. i dont care how much it's been recycled. though if they chock it up with chemicals then i won't know will i? ;):D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    Um, Helen. . . why don't you try washing your car and watering your lawn with seawater and report back to us. I'm really curious to see how it works out for you.
    I said it doesn't need to be fresh... or clean... and it doesn't. You could use your shower water to wash the car... what if that water went somewhere else.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    The fear of recycled water is all in your head. I dare you to taste a sample of recycled water and a sample of treated water fresh from the storages and tell me that you can tell the difference. Recycled water is safe as far as I understand. The only potential risk that I've ever heard anyone argue is that some things like hormones might not be destroyed by the treatment process. That's easily fixed with ozone treatment anyway.

I for one, would be very happy to drink recycled sewerage water. . . and I'm a microbiologist ;). It makes far more sense to recycle water in the cites than to try to send it to agricultural areas. I'd need to see some numbers to be sure, but I can't imagine that it would be more efficient to send recycled water from Sydney or Melbourne to the irrigation areas in the M/D than it would be to keep it in the municipal water system.

As for growing rice and cotton. . . you're probably right, but until there are incentives for farmers to make a living doing something else, they'll continue to do what they can to produce a crop that is worth something.

No Scott. It's not all in my head. I have very real concerns about the efficacy and efficiency of recycled water. My main one being that like everything else even if the plan starts out as a government initiative it will fast become privatised and I'm sorry but given the track record of these private companies when it comes to infrastructure and the public good, not to mention successive governments continual refusal to hold private companies accountable for the havoc they wreak I really have NO CONFIDENCE in the recycled water program as it has been presented to me at this time. And that's not saying that I have no confidence in the science of the process, although I'd like to see some statistics on the long term health ramifications. It's our water, we need it to sustain life, and SO FAR the governments both state and federal have made a dogs dinner of the whole water issue. So you'll forgive me for not having a lot of confidence in them now.

Now if someone wanted to present a plan that was to be kept in public hands, for recycled water that WASN'T added to the drinking water, I might reconsider. But until such times as we can be 100% certain that there will be no side effects or ill health from this process then I cannot get behind the plan as it stands. I've watched this kind of thing get completely screwed over before and it's the little people that suffer. If I thought for one minute that this was THE BEST OPTION for the public benefit and not for the interest of some multinational awaiting the opportunity to line their pockets then I'd be in. Perhaps not drinking water that had been recycled from your effluent but I'd consider giving my own a go. ;)

As to the farming issue as far as I can see they've been screwed over by successive governments too and it's only the big companies that can turn a profit now. Well one that is worth the effort they put in. And most of those are foreign investors anyway. So basically the way I see it, some asshole, sitting up on high, somewhere else in the world is pulling a whole lot of strings in this country and making a shit load of money out of it and screwing the bloody lot of us ordinary battlers into the bargain.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    i can see it now. what d'you mean it's not a done deal, bracksy swore to us before he skedaddled with his fat pension, the ink was dry. :D

i dont wanna drink poo water. i dont care how much it's been recycled. though if they chock it up with chemicals then i won't know will i? ;):D

What I wanna know is this cate. How come both Bracksy and Beatty resigned recently at the height of their careers? BOTH had been involved in controversial water programs and BOTH had been involved in the Murray Darling Basin stand off with the Federal Government. I'd kill to be a fly on the wall to know what was being held over them to get them both out of office. I truly believe that it's no coincidence and the timing of it was highly suspicious.

As to the poo water, like I said, if they can do reverse osmosis on the effluent SPECIFICALLY from me then I might consider it otherwise no chance I'll be going with that as the FIRST OPTION. I'm happy to use it for a whole variety of things except drinking and washing and I really don't see, if we are all able to capture our own rain water now, and if we did use the recycled water for everything BUT drinking and washing how that can't be a solution in itself.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    What I wanna know is this cate. How come both Bracksy and Beatty resigned recently at the height of their careers? BOTH had been involved in controversial water programs and BOTH had been involved in the Murray Darling Basin stand off with the Federal Government. I'd kill to be a fly on the wall to know what was being held over them to get them both of office. I truly believe that it's no coincidence and the timing of it was highly suspicious.

what i want to know is why they didn't take iemma with them. :D

can't imagine what the queensland premier has got to do with the murray-darling. admittedly there are some tributaries that flow from the darling into qld, but nothing i think of any great consequence.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    what i want to know is why they didn't take iemma with them. :D

How did I know you where gonna say that? ;):D
    can't imagine what the queensland premier has got to do with the murray-darling. admittedly there are some tributaries that flow from the darling into qld, but nothing i think of any great consequence.

Well that's what I wondered when I saw him all huffy puffy and sprouting off about it last time they were all having their pow wow.

Anyway, I've had me four minute shower, MAN THOSE SUCKERS ARE HARD WORK! And now I'm off to bed. G'night. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    jlew24asu wrote:
    well thats the question. why is it expensive (or difficult) seems like a rather simple thing to do. remove salt from water, filter and clean water, drink water.

but what do you mean it isnt in our part of the world?

It just isn't as simple as it seems and is expensive.

All I meant is that things aren't as bad in the US where they are having to consider doing desalination.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options

All I meant is that things aren't as bad in the US where they are having to consider doing desalination.
    should money really be an issue though? If it's as urgent and drastic as certain groups should have us believe, should this not be something they should start preparing for the near future?

Too often we hear the response 'but it's expensive' so... we're only looking for cheap alternatives? And these seem to be something along the lines of producing fresh water out of thin air? :confused: (and by 'thin air' I don't mean literal... I mean what the fuck are we supposed to come up with?)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    should money really be an issue though? If it's as urgent and drastic as certain groups should have us believe, should this not be something they should start preparing for the near future?

Too often we hear the response 'but it's expensive' so... we're only looking for cheap alternatives? And these seem to be something along the lines of producing fresh water out of thin air? :confused: (and by 'thin air' I don't mean literal... I mean what the fuck are we supposed to come up with?)

I agree with you 100%. But that is one of the things that pisses me off about the world right now. Everything is about money and bullshit politics. Since this is an expensive alternative and people won't make billions of dollars and large companies aren't lobbying for it then it won't happen. Just the sad reality of things.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    haha yea I know. I was wondering if you or anyone knows why.
    I agree but it seems pointless to not do it anyway. oceans are rather large :-) and we're surrounded by them. which makes me think, how does Hawaii get fresh water?
  • Options
    I agree with you 100%. But that is one of the things that pisses me off about the world right now. Everything is about money and bullshit politics. Since this is an expensive alternative and people won't make billions of dollars and large companies aren't lobbying for it then it won't happen. Just the sad reality of things.
    Yep... I mean it's only really now in the US where it's becoming fashionable to become eco friendly... the multinationals MUST have had enough time by now to figure out how exactly they can become rich from it??????

Urrrrrrrrrrrggghhh... are we REALLY letting these people run OUR planet? :mad: It just fucking makes me mad.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Water supply problems are one of the reasons I was thrilled with the housing market problems.

Unbrideled unregulated, poorly conceived, poorly planned OVERDEVELOPMENT!!!

It's another reason I hate the gross misuse of eminent domain... developers are in cahoots with politicians, they are condemning property for tax dollars, building more and more while the politicans who are getting the extra money are putting it in special projects (or outright stealing it see P cards in government agencies) and not keeping up infrastructure which leads... to BS like what happened in New Orleans. See New Orleans as a shining wonderful example of overdevelopment and failure of infrastructure. It's basically what you get, when there is no thought or plan or restrictions to development.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

I agree but it seems pointless to not do it anyway. oceans are rather large :-) and we're surrounded by them. which makes me think, how does Hawaii get fresh water?

My bad, I don't really know how to explain it but this site i went to does a good job. http://www.coastal.ca.gov/desalrpt/dchap1.html

And that is a very good question about hawaii. Now i have to go find out the answer to that.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    My bad, I don't really know how to explain it but this site i went to does a good job. http://www.coastal.ca.gov/desalrpt/dchap1.html

And that is a very good question about hawaii. Now i have to go find out the answer to that.

And the answer is ground water but it seems that could become a big problem in about 20 years.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118

cool, thanks. thats a very good site. and quite encouraging. seems like we are already pretty good desalination and RO. now we just need to collaborate with those in the middle east and try to find ways to reduce the amount of energy and costs associated with the process.

when push comes to shove, I'm confident we can figure it out.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    surferdude wrote:

We should be smarter with water just like we should be smarter with every scarce resource.

ain't that the truth!

this is yet another one of those issues that is just so far-reaching and into ALL areas of life. poison the water, poison the world. it's a shmae that far too much that is cost-effective for the bottom-line, is NOT cost-effective for the earth. there has to be a better balance!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    YoyoyoYoyoyo Posts: 310
    Jeanie wrote:
    No Scott. It's not all in my head. I have very real concerns about the efficacy and efficiency of recycled water. My main one being that like everything else even if the plan starts out as a government initiative it will fast become privatised and I'm sorry but given the track record of these private companies when it comes to infrastructure and the public good, not to mention successive governments continual refusal to hold private companies accountable for the havoc they wreak I really have NO CONFIDENCE in the recycled water program as it has been presented to me at this time.

Now if someone wanted to present a plan that was to be kept in public hands, for recycled water that WASN'T added to the drinking water, I might reconsider. But until such times as we can be 100% certain that there will be no side effects or ill health from this process then I cannot get behind the plan as it stands..

Where do you get your drinking water from now? Fact of the matter is most of the water consumed is in fact "recycled water", if it comes from a river, aquifer or lake it is recycled. Many rivers are used as a potable water source for towns and cities AS WELL as a dumping ground for waste. Drinking water is treated, but for a very large % of the population they are only one broken chlorine injector away from drinking river water that can be loaded with E-coli found in cow shit run off.

The only "clean" water you will find comes out of an RO unit or through condensation. Most bottled waters have chlorine injected to kill the bugs!
    No need to be void, or save up on life

You got to spend it all
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

Salt water is a solution of both salt and water. One way to get salt out of solution is to boil the water and capture the evaporation through condensation. The problem with this method is, it takes a shit ton of energy to boil off enough water for consumption and it takes more energy to force the evaporated vapor to condense. Reverse osmosis is another method. It is a system of having a very thin membrane and two different concentrations of water on both sides of this membrane. Pressure is exerted on the highly concentrated water(salt water) forcing it through the membrane to the less concentrated membrane leaving the salt molecules behind. The problem with this method is those membrane cartridges are very expensive and do not last very long. As well the amount of pressure required is very large and it takes alot of energy to pressurize the one side of the system.

You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Mestophar wrote:
    Where do you get your drinking water from now? Fact of the matter is most of the water consumed is in fact "recycled water", if it comes from a river, aquifer or lake it is recycled. Many rivers are used as a potable water source for towns and cities AS WELL as a dumping ground for waste. Drinking water is treated, but for a very large % of the population they are only one broken chlorine injector away from drinking river water that can be loaded with E-coli found in cow shit run off.

The only "clean" water you will find comes out of an RO unit or through condensation. Most bottled waters have chlorine injected to kill the bugs!

http://www.melbwater.com.au/content/publications/fact_sheets/water/protecting_melbournes_water_catchments.asp?bhcp=1

When I say recycled water I am talking of two things.
    1) the grey water we recycle on our properties and how it can be better utilized. We meaning us here in Australia.
    2) in terms of drinking recycled water, I'm referring to the government plan to treat effluent with the process of reverse osmosis and then pump it into our natural water supply.

I am not unaware of the current situation with regard to "natural" water in this country. But I do live in a state with one of the cleanest drinking water supplies in the world all of which comes from water catchments managed very strictly to ensure the quality of the water. Actually I'd go so far as to say that the water is cleaner in the catchments than it is by the time it makes it to my glass, simply because of the old gal pipes it travels through just at this end.

We have the water resources that we have. It seems pointless to me to keep trying to find ways to make MORE water when we haven't mastered the art of utilizing efficiently the water that we already have.

And I'm not drinking effluent that has been throught the process of reverse osmosis and added to the natural supply until all other avenues have been exhausted AND for all the reasons I previously posted in this thread.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Your water tested 3 times to have Ecoli in it this year.

You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Mestophar wrote:
    Your water tested 3 times to have Ecoli in it this year.

Yep.

So what?
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift