Options

Its Time To talk About Water...

Comments

• Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, it's hard to tell, (he has such a great poker face! :p ) but me thinks little jlew was being sarcastic with this post. :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)

i like jlew. he's a good bloke. i just wanted to throw their existance out there for those who didn't know. oh; and here he comes. sssshhhhhhhh. let's hide!
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    i like jlew. he's a good bloke. i just wanted to throw their existance out there for those who didn't know. oh; and here he comes. sssshhhhhhhh. let's hide!

:D I saw this really cool bush survival program a couple of months ago about how to put a plastic bag over a tree branch if you're lost in the bush so you can start gathering fresh water. And how they reckon you should do it as soon as you realize you're lost and before you do anything else EVEN if you have water with you. It was really interesting. Not that I'm planning on getting lost in the bush anytime soon. Although....that last weekend...when we walked down to the second bridge and the dark came on real quick, well I was grateful to have the dog with me I can tell you! I've been lost out there in that bush before and it's scary! AND BLOODY COLD!!! :eek:

Anyway, jlew is a good bloke you're right, and I'm losing interest in this thread fast so yeah, let's hide! ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    YoyoyoYoyoyo Posts: 310
    water samples are taken every day. and municipailties ARE making conservation laws FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION. i can't imagine a MANDATE where i have to rip out my loo and replace it before the toilet police get here.
    every lake is tested and thus the eating restrictions i talked about earlier. but if you want to stress your point; how thick are these layers? if i am in a lake; how do i identify a layer? can you back up this layer theory with a scientific link that proves water is taken from these layers? if it's true; it should be easy to find.

New construction does have mandates but so do all consumer products. So, if your loo were to have to be replaced it would have to be replaced with a certain type of loo that fits the purpose of the law. These laws already exist and they will be expanding into many more facets of our lives. Eg. windows, vehicles, fridges, heating and a/c products will have a minimum energy efficiency value.

I cannot find a good reference to the types of layer that is preferential to take municipal waters from but the top layer of water is usually 25 ft deep. This layer has all sorts of crap in it and does not easily mix, due to the difference in tempurature and composition, with the layers below it.
    No need to be void, or save up on life

You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Mestophar wrote:
    New construction does have mandates but so do all consumer products. So, if your loo were to have to be replaced it would have to be replaced with a certain type of loo that fits the purpose of the law. These laws already exist and they will be expanding into many more facets of our lives. Eg. windows, vehicles, fridges, heating and a/c products will have a minimum energy efficiency value.

I cannot find a good reference to the types of layer that is preferential to take municipal waters from but the top layer of water is usually 25 ft deep. This layer has all sorts of crap in it and does not easily mix, due to the difference in tempurature and composition, with the layers below it.

so if my pond is 15 feet deep; the top layer goes 10 feet into the ground?
    sunlight will penetrate approximately 2 feet of infertile water and 1 foot of fertile water. that is your top layer. the sunlight warms the molicules and they move faster. there's another layer just off the bottom. there's sediment and then suspended sediment. the layer of suspended sediment depends on the fertility of the water. fertile water will have a thicker layer of suspended sediment. then you have inbetween the two. it could be 5 feet thick or hundreds of feet thick. depending on the depth of the body of water. now that body of water will have differences in AREAS; not depths. for example; in a patch of seaweed the water will be a little different. even the Ph will be different. but this is an area; not a layer.

if me loo doesn't fail; the loo police won't be knocking at my door.
    as far as all the other crap; it's too little too late. if you listened to us in the 70's; we wouldn't be having this conversation. if you weren't born yet; go ask your parents why this is the world they wanted you to inherit. they had a choice.
  • Options
    so if my pond is 15 feet deep; the top layer goes 10 feet into the ground?
    sunlight will penetrate approximately 2 feet of infertile water and 1 foot of fertile water. that is your top layer. the sunlight warms the molicules and they move faster. there's another layer just off the bottom. there's sediment and then suspended sediment. the layer of suspended sediment depends on the fertility of the water. fertile water will have a thicker layer of suspended sediment. then you have inbetween the two. it could be 5 feet thick or hundreds of feet thick. depending on the depth of the body of water. now that body of water will have differences in AREAS; not depths. for example; in a patch of seaweed the water will be a little different. even the Ph will be different. but this is an area; not a layer.

if me loo doesn't fail; the loo police won't be knocking at my door.
    as far as all the other crap; it's too little too late. if you listened to us in the 70's; we wouldn't be having this conversation. if you weren't born yet; go ask your parents why this is the world they wanted you to inherit. they had a choice.

Huh? Nice try but we are not talking about your pond... :rolleyes:

Listened to us? Who are you representing?

You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Oh and congratulations on your perfection and virtuous life you live.

You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Mestophar wrote:

Seriously if you've got one ounce of humanity in you then perhaps you could see your way clear to behaving like a decent human being and reading what was said and not being nasty for 5 minutes.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Seriously if you've got one ounce of humanity in you then perhaps you could see your way clear to behaving like a decent human being and reading what was said and not being nasty for 5 minutes.

Wow, a bit melodramatic perhaps? I'd say take a pill but... :wink:

P.S I wish I had an ounce of humanity.

Mosquitos are hard to ignore.

You got to spend it all
  • Options
    Mestophar wrote:
    Wow, a bit melodramatic perhaps? I'd say take a pill but... :wink:

P.S I wish I had an ounce of humanity.

Mosquitos are hard to ignore.

Nope. Not melodramatic at all. Just a simple request based on me knowing more about the situation than you. Tis entirely up to you what you do.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    OLS whatever reply you're working on, quit now and get your arse into that recliner please. :) It's time to rest. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Mestophar wrote:
    Huh? Nice try but we are not talking about your pond... :rolleyes:

Listened to us? Who are you representing?

dude; you're in my back yard. i worked for years (part time) with the marine biologist from the shed aquarium in chicago. i dug a pond when i lived in grayslake where i raised fish. not to mention that i've fished around the world. from the time i could hold a rod. me mum has the pictures to prove it. i'm farm raised and agriculture has been a big part of my life. i'm now the second biggest supplier of naturally raised buffalo meat. i'm 51 and i've got a lot of experience behind me. i stay up to date with everything and i'm solar and connected to your world via satellite.
  • Options
    dude; you're in my back yard. i worked for years (part time) with the marine biologist from the shed aquarium in chicago. i dug a pond when i lived in grayslake where i raised fish. not to mention that i've fished around the world. from the time i could hold a rod. me mum has the pictures to prove it. i'm farm raised and agriculture has been a big part of my life. i'm now the second biggest supplier of naturally raised buffalo meat. i'm 51 and i've got a lot of experience behind me. i stay up to date with everything and i'm solar and connected to your world via satellite.

:D hehe! And you're going to lie down now right????

Man I can't believe you got me nagging in public! :o

We can talk water tomorrow ok? Now scram! :p
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    A bloke is a good thing right ;):D
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    lawns are the biggest symbols of environmental stupidity out there ... we use water to grow it only so we can then cut it every week ... we pour litres of toxic poisons to prevent weeds from growing on it ...

naturalizing peoples front yards would make a huge difference in our water usage ... but people are stupid and selfish
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    polaris wrote:
    lawns are the biggest symbols of environmental stupidity out there ... we use water to grow it only so we can then cut it every week ... we pour litres of toxic poisons to prevent weeds from growing on it ...

naturalizing peoples front yards would make a huge difference in our water usage ... but people are stupid and selfish

thats a very good point. and defintely seems like a ridiculous waste. do you have a lawn?
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    thats a very good point. and defintely seems like a ridiculous waste. do you have a lawn?

i don't own a home ... but the place i rent (my friends house) doesn't ... we have a naturalized backyard with bushes and plants ... doesn't need watering ... there are bushes out front ...
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    polaris wrote:
    i don't own a home ... but the place i rent (my friends house) doesn't ... we have a naturalized backyard with bushes and plants ... doesn't need watering ... there are bushes out front ...
    How does a naturalized backyard compare to a lawn as far as heat retention in the summer? Are naturalized landscapes contributing at all to global warming compared to a designed landscape with grass and trees?

How did they ever get the misnomer naturalized landscape? There's nothing natural about them. They're really just low maintenance and low utility landscaping. They sure don't encourage physical activity. I've seen them used quite well in front yards but they are quite useless if you have kids and are trying to promote or live a fit and active lifestyle.

The tough thing is that there is no universal ideal. What works for one person or household does not work for another. But it sure doesn't seem to prevent finger pointing or hypocritical stances being taken by many. Polaris that is not aimed at you in any way, just an observation in general.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    How does a naturalized backyard compare to a lawn as far as heat retention in the summer? Are naturalized landscapes contributing at all to global warming compared to a designed landscape with grass and trees?

How did they ever get the misnomer naturalized landscape? There's nothing natural about them. They're really just low maintenance and low utility landscaping. They sure don't encourage physical activity. I've seen them used quite well in front yards but they are quite useless if you have kids and are trying to promote or live a fit and active lifestyle.

The tough thing is that there is no universal ideal. What works for one person or household does not work for another. But it sure doesn't seem to prevent finger pointing or hypocritical stances being taken by many. Polaris that is not aimed at you in any way, just an observation in general.

i'm not sure what you mean by heat retention? ... it's called 'naturalized' because we planted trees, bushes that were native to the area before - and which would theoretically thrive in the environment thus requiring less maintenance ... they don't contribute to global warming because plants and trees absorb co2 ... way more then grass ... and you don't need to use water or pesticides ...

and i really don't see your point about a lawn = promoting a fit and active lifestyle ... it's a stretch to say that you need a lawn in order to provide that for kids ... isn't that what parks and soccer teams are for? ... or perhaps taking them for walks? ... and what about gardening itself? ... why can't that be part of a fit and active lifestyle?

in any case - i stand by my point that lawns are generally stupid ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    and i really don't see your point about a lawn = promoting a fit and active lifestyle ... it's a stretch to say that you need a lawn in order to provide that for kids ... isn't that what parks and soccer teams are for? ... or perhaps taking them for walks? ... and what about gardening itself? ... why can't that be part of a fit and active lifestyle?
    Having an easily accessible outdoor safe area for kids to play is an essential part of providing a fit and active lifestyle for kids. A backyard with a lawn where kids can safely play outside goes a long way to having healthy kids. We played everything from football, to baseball, to tag, to having skating rinks in the winter in our backyards. All are only possible due to having lawns.
    polaris wrote:
    in any case - i stand by my point that lawns are generally stupid ...
    Then don't have one. But please don't pass judgement on people who do. Their reasons for having one can be just as important or more important than your reasons for not having one.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Having an easily accessible outdoor safe area for kids to play is an essential part of providing a fit and active lifestyle for kids. A backyard with a lawn where kids can safely play outside goes a long way to having healthy kids. We played everything from football, to baseball, to tag, to having skating rinks in the winter in our backyards. All are only possible due to having lawns.
    Then don't have one. But please don't pass judgement on people who do. Their reasons for having one can be just as important or more important than your reasons for not having one.

i suppose if one gets offended by the statement that lawns are stupid - then yeah i can see where you are getting at ...

consider yourself fortunate to have a lawn big enuf to play football and hockey rinks - where i live - we have to walk to the park for that ... i suppose if everyone had a lawn that size - we'd need 3 times the earth ... and hopefully, you aren't spraying your lawns with toxic pesticides and then having your kids play on it cuz that would be counteracting your healthy lifestyle ...
  • Options
    Mestophar wrote:

success isn't getting what you want; it's wanting what you have. my life is perfect for me. it would be hell for most of the other posters. i found what i wanted; and worked to achieve it. i took what i achieved and moved it to a larger scale. once again i'm moving exactly what i have to an even larger scale. instead of going to work; i'd rather watch buffalo eat or maybe pick fresh veggies from the greenhouse. my neighbour's wife moved back to L.A. because she couldn't take the quiet. she'd much rather have a job and live in the middle of the "excitement" of the city than retire and live a simple normal life. some people can't wait to buy that new bmw model where i can't wait to see baby calves playing in the paddock.
    it's all in your lifestyle; son. one mans heaven is another mans hell.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    i suppose if one gets offended by the statement that lawns are stupid - then yeah i can see where you are getting at ...

consider yourself fortunate to have a lawn big enuf to play football and hockey rinks - where i live - we have to walk to the park for that ... i suppose if everyone had a lawn that size - we'd need 3 times the earth ... and hopefully, you aren't spraying your lawns with toxic pesticides and then having your kids play on it cuz that would be counteracting your healthy lifestyle ...

i agree with you. someone here said their family drinks 2 gallons of water each day. next time someone is watering their lawn or a golf course; they should measure the amount of water they're using and cipher how many families they are depriving clean water to. if you want a lawn; use your greywater.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    A bloke is a good thing right ;):D

a bloke is a dude; a mate is a good friend. and yes; it's a good thing.
  • Options
    We can do it and they do do it in parts of the Middle East, but it is expensive and isn't necessary in our part of the world. At least not yet, maybe one day it will be but i personally don't think so.

Santa Barbara has been running desalination plants for years.

They also put in a lot of effort to education people on reducing their personal usage including xeriscaping.
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    Santa Barbara has been running desalination plants for years.

They also put in a lot of effort to education people on reducing their personal usage including xeriscaping.

in a few years that plant will be an island and they won't have to pipe the water so far.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:

I went out of my way to say my point was not directed at you. The point is there is not a cookie cutter solution. If there was I'd be raking you over the coals for not living in high density housing. After all if I can live in high density housing everyone should. And if I ride my bike to work and don't turn on the heater in January then you should do the same. I can manage to commute to work without using public transportation or cars then you should do the same. What a great solution. Toronto can get rid of public transportation and everyone can just bike to work. Think of all the greenhouse gas emissions being saved.

Cookie cutter solutions are not answers and trying to act like what's right for you is right for everyone is fanaticism. It's bullshit when coming from religious folks and equally bullshit coming from the eco folks.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    i agree with you. someone here said their family drinks 2 gallons of water each day. next time someone is watering their lawn or a golf course; they should measure the amount of water they're using and cipher how many families they are depriving clean water to. if you want a lawn; use your greywater.
    That's complete bs. First, water can't be shipped out of Canada in any meaningful way or even shipped around Canada in any meaningful way. Two, I live in a near coastal rainforest environment where there is generally no watershortage. Third water is not a resource that can be saved in areas where there is an adundance of it. It can be conserved but not saved. Fourth, as of now clean water is a free commodity where I live so there is absolutely no one being deprived of clean water by lawn watering where I live or where the I was using could currently be shipped to. Cookie cutter ideaology and solutions don't work and aren't answers.

Where I live our water is almost entirely from rainfall and snow run off. We are the perfect example of conservation. We save what we don't use in the spring for year round use. This conservation system actually helps the environment by lessening natural soil errosion.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    That's complete bs. First, water can't be shipped out of Canada in any meaningful way or even shipped around Canada in any meaningful way. Two, I live in a near coastal rainforest environment where there is generally no watershortage. Third water is not a resource that can be saved in areas where there is an adundance of it. It can be conserved but not saved. Fourth, as of now clean water is a free commodity where I live so there is absolutely no one being deprived of clean water by lawn watering where I live or where the I was using could currently be shipped to. Cookie cutter ideaology and solutions don't work and aren't answers.

Where I live our water is almost entirely from rainfall and snow run off. We are the perfect example of conservation. We save what we don't use in the spring for year round use. This conservation system actually helps the environment by lessening natural soil errosion.

Do you physically water your lawn? Coz it sounds to me like the rainwater is doing it for you. OLS objection to lawns and golf courses would be the same as mine. Where they exist and people have them, clean drinking water should not be used to water them. Particularly in areas where there are water shortages.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:

We can play this reverse osmosis bullshit at a later date and as I said to scott, let's use that water for all the other possible uses before we get to drinking it. AND no need to be pumping it into the natural supply. Sort those things and I'll consider it. Find a way for me to reverse osmosis my own effluent and I'll consider it further. Otherwise I'm against it.

I still don't understand your objection Jeanie. Just for a moment leave all the politics of it aside. What exactly do you have against drinking recycled water?
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    I still don't understand your objection Jeanie. Just for a moment leave all the politics of it aside. What exactly do you have against drinking recycled water?

It's like most things scott. :) It relies heavily on the process and we can't measure the outcome or haven't as yet. I mean that in terms of health and disease control. Surely as a kid you were brought up to be careful what you ingested? Well I'd say I was that way too. If it comes down to us having to drink recycled effluent, then I guess it does, but I'd prefer we explored and implemented a whole lot more alternatives first. I'm never going to be happy about them mixing it with the "natural" water supply. I really can't seperate it out from the politics. It requires me to "trust" in the powers that be and I'm sorry but that's just not going to happen.

If my efforts at water conservation aren't yielding good enough results then I still believe we have a lot more avenues open to us BEFORE EVERYONE is forced to DRINK water that has been recycled from a huge reservoir of COMBINED effluent. Is that making any sense? :)

I wonder why you are so readily for it. I mean why you are so behind this particular solution as opposed to trying other options first? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift