Options

Its Time To talk About Water...

TruthmongerTruthmonger Posts: 559
edited October 2007 in A Moving Train
Its disappearing like crazy, yet we use it like there's no fucking tomorrow (at least here in N. America). I don't wanna get into a debate about whether its a natural phenomenon or a man-made dilemma. That's moot at this point. But i do wanna discuss why current water conservation efforts are so laughable.

Consider : When are we going to SERIOUSLY curtail our use of water ? When will govt's stop allowing explosive growth in areas that are already short on water - especially in the U.S.? Will it ever reach the point of municipalities rationing water to its citizens ? If citizens of a particular jurisdiction are irresponsible with this resource, is it fair for such people to then go knocking on the doors of other jurisdictions to ask for more ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    I drink as much water as I can a day. its good for the body. it gives life.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I drink as much water as I can a day. its good for the body. it gives life.

Thats a great contribution Jlew. Not.
  • Options
    Thats a great contribution Jlew. Not.

we are talking about water? the very fluid we need to live?

ok lets talk about it
    When are we going to SERIOUSLY curtail our use of water ?
    never. we need it to live.
    When will govt's stop allowing explosive growth in areas that are already short on water - especially in the U.S.?
    now you want the government to control where people can live? sorry not interested in letting government control my life.
    Will it ever reach the point of municipalities rationing water to its citizens ?
    no
    If citizens of a particular jurisdiction are irresponsible with this resource, is it fair for such people to then go knocking on the doors of other jurisdictions to ask for more ?
    um, what planet are you on?

awesome thread, awesome.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    jlew - we use water for a lot more than drinking....curtailing drinking water? no....other uses? there should be other options.
    A perfect example is the fact that oil companies around here keep pumping MASSIVE amounts of fresh water into the ground to "float" the oil out…they are forcing it below the water table, taking it completely out of the cycle (less surface water = less rain, no?)….
    They are also using heated water to separate bitumen from sand…which makes the water toxic…..then they let THIS 'water' sit in MASSIVE open air lakes (eery looking - steaming, man-made oily lakes with ZERO wildlife around them)….so the fresh stuff goes below the water table, the toxic stuff goes to the surface to seep back into it. Brilliant! If you ever need inspiration to become an environmentalist, visit the Alberta oilsands.
  • Options
    ok ok fine. let stop using water for whatever you just said. ;)
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Its disappearing like crazy, yet we use it like there's no fucking tomorrow (at least here in N. America). I don't wanna get into a debate about whether its a natural phenomenon or a man-made dilemma. That's moot at this point. But i do wanna discuss why current water conservation efforts are so laughable.

Consider : When are we going to SERIOUSLY curtail our use of water ? When will govt's stop allowing explosive growth in areas that are already short on water - especially in the U.S.? Will it ever reach the point of municipalities rationing water to its citizens ? If citizens of a particular jurisdiction are irresponsible with this resource, is it fair for such people to then go knocking on the doors of other jurisdictions to ask for more ?
    Every so often there will be a story in the local paper about some city out west wanting to make some sort of deal to siphon off Great Lakes water for their use. That idea is never well-received here. I mean, why didn't they use their heads to begin with? You build a big city in the middle of the desert (Las Vegas, Phoenix, wherever), dont you think you should have put a little thought into this water thing BEFORE you built the golf courses.? We've chosen to live near a major water source (as sensible people have been doing since the dawn of time). You want to live in a desert, that's your priviledge, but you go find your own water. You want ours, move back here .... our population is dropping, we could use you.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    sweet, help us lobby those greedy oil bastards, they don't want to develop new technology...it's cheaper and easier to just keep pumping millions of litres of water underground. They half emptied a lake near here doing this.

Seriously...didn't driftin say something about areas in the South being pretty much out of water? I keep hearing about Canada's fresh water being sold in back room deals and shipped south...and that Canada's greatest resource in the future will be water....it can't all be hype can it?
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Water usage is a problem everywhere, very much so here in the good ol' US of A. The biggest culprit is that it is in most areas here it's still ridiculously cheap and therefore, most people don't give a flying fuck how much they use. It's a real problem all over the US, not just in the desert areas. Industry uses large amounts of water too, from manufacturing, oil production, paper mills, you name it. It all requires large amounts of water. Golf courses use millions of gallons a year. I'm talking individual courses. And most of the waste water from industry is unfit for human consumption without expensive treatment. I lived in the Seattle area and water was rationed for most of the one summer I was there. I currently live in Houston and my water rates have just doubled in the past few months. They've switched from groundwater to surface water (from lakes) because of the over usage of groundwater has caused major subsidence in many areas. This is a real problem. We all need and want water but still mostly take it for granted. There are so many ways to conserve that we're not really taking advantage of. Unfortunately we rarely act until our pocketbooks start taking a hit, so once everyone's water rates double we may see a shift towards more conservation, but probably not until then.
  • Options
    sweet, help us lobby those greedy oil bastards, they don't want to develop new technology...it's cheaper and easier to just keep pumping millions of litres of water underground. They half emptied a lake near here doing this.

Seriously...didn't driftin say something about areas in the South being pretty much out of water? I keep hearing about Canada's fresh water being sold in back room deals and shipped south...and that Canada's greatest resource in the future will be water....it can't all be hype can it?

water, like everything else on this planet, is a limited resource. much like finding an alternative to oil, we will find an alternative to fresh water (i.e. desalination of the huge fucking oceans on this earth) ;)

maybe I'm too much of an optimist to live in a box of fear like mr. monger.
  • Options

water, like everything else on this planet, is a limited resource. much like finding an alternative to oil, we will find an alternative to fresh water (i.e. desalination of the huge fucking oceans on this earth) ;)

maybe I'm too much of an optimist to live in a box of fear like mr. monger.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    (i.e. desalination of the huge fucking oceans on this earth) ;)
    I've never understood why this is so difficult. We can breed a fucking minotaur if we wanted to, but we can't extract salt from water?
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288

Yes, there are cities in Georgia, North Alabama and Tennessee that are only have a couple of weeks of water supply left. However, they are working with the Corps of Engineers and supposedly a plan is in place to divert water from some areas and give to those that need it more while putting a self imposed restriction on how much water people are using. Like asking people not to water their lawns or wash their cars.
    It sounds like they have a plan for this but it would make for some good anarchy if cities were to run completely out of water.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    I've never understood why this is so difficult. We can breed a fucking minotaur if we wanted to, but we can't extract salt from water?

We can do it and they do do it in parts of the Middle East, but it is expensive and isn't necessary in our part of the world. At least not yet, maybe one day it will be but i personally don't think so.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    We can do it and they do do it in parts of the Middle East, but it is expensive and isn't necessary in our part of the world. At least not yet, maybe one day it will be but i personally don't think so.

well thats the question. why is it expensive (or difficult) seems like a rather simple thing to do. remove salt from water, filter and clean water, drink water.

but what do you mean it isnt in our part of the world?
  • Options
    Theres no shortage of freshwater here.but then again i live at or below the watertable.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    hippiemom wrote:
    Every so often there will be a story in the local paper about some city out west wanting to make some sort of deal to siphon off Great Lakes water for their use. That idea is never well-received here. I mean, why didn't they use their heads to begin with? You build a big city in the middle of the desert (Las Vegas, Phoenix, wherever), dont you think you should have put a little thought into this water thing BEFORE you built the golf courses.? We've chosen to live near a major water source (as sensible people have been doing since the dawn of time). You want to live in a desert, that's your priviledge, but you go find your own water. You want ours, move back here .... our population is dropping, we could use you.
    This is a fair arguement when Cleveland and Detroit start supplying their own sources of fuel for heating through the winter months.

We should be smarter with water just like we should be smarter with every scarce resource.

On a side note, I thought that with global warming and the melting of the Artic that an inventive sort would find a way to capture that melting ice water for use. Solving the rise in the ocean table and providing potable water.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    On a side note, I thought that with global warming and the melting of the Artic that an inventive sort would find a way to capture that melting ice water for use. Solving the rise in the ocean table and providing potable water.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,915637,00.html

you've got to think that this is a band-aid fix tho....it would HAVE to screw up the natural order in some way, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    all this talk has made me thirsty
  • Options

you've got to think that this is a band-aid fix tho....it would HAVE to screw up the natural order in some way, wouldn't it?
    If they're gonna melt anyways and in doing so cause havoc and death why not put 'em to good use.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options

If they're gonna melt anyways and in doing so cause havoc and death why not put 'em to good use.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Its hard to read an article like this and not be concerned (I've seen many like this):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/magazine/21water-t.html

As for desalinisation, its expensive and there's the question of what to do with the piles of brine that result from the process. Dumping it back into the ocean presents just another problem.
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Not that I can hold it up as a fine example because it isn't, but Australia has been in the grip of a drought for a very long time and we are living with water restrictions now. Perhaps, desalination plants aside, the general population needs to be looking at some of the things we have implimented to capture rainwater, utilize what falls on our properties and the water recycling techniques we employ as individuals. While all that's going on, you probably need to lobby your government for long term solutions as well.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Not that I can hold it up as a fine example because it isn't,

Well, I'm sure Australia has learned SOMETHING over the last year or two. I heard it was pretty bad there. You know, if someone said to me you gotta only consume half of the water you historically have, I could probably do it without seriously compromising lifestyle. So much is jsut waste.
  • Options
    Well, I'm sure Australia has learned SOMETHING over the last year or two. I heard it was pretty bad there. You know, if someone said to me you gotta only consume half of the water you historically have, I could probably do it without seriously compromising lifestyle. So much is jsut waste.

Well, perhaps our government is FINALLY starting to understand just how dire the situation is. And there have been inititives to translate that to the general population, but we are far from sorted on the issue.

Water is going to be an ongoing problem for us and there really hasn't been the level of commitment that we need from either government or the general population. And what is going to happen is that the water companies are just going to keep putting the price up to curb consumption while they make a pretty packet it on it.

I have to say that on our water bill we are well below the consumption of a water efficient household and I can't say that I feel like my lifestyle has been compromised much at all. I've shortened my shower time to four minutes. I re-use the water from the rinse cycle on the washing machine by catching it in a bucket and pouring it on the garden. We don't water the garden at all. I don't wash the car at home. I use an electric toothbrush so the tap isn't running while I clean my teeth, just for rinsing. I use liquid handsoap so I'm not running water endlessly to clean my hands. When I rinse out containers for the recycle that water is poured on the garden. I use the half flush most of the time in the toilet.

That's just my meagre effort. Not much by comparison to some people.
    We still don't have a tank or one of those recycle thingies in the laundry. And we don't have a grey water system. All things I would love to have but cannot afford at this point.

The government, both Federal and State, have not come to the party fast enough and so they're hustling some really pissy ideas now to try to dig themselves out of the big dry hole they've dug.

We are currently in Stage 3a Water Restrictions here in Victoria, but I'm sure that will be upgraded soon enough. The summer is coming and while we had some rain it wasn't nearly enough.

Anyway, here are what Stage 3a Water Restrictions entail :

http://www.ourwater.vic.gov.au/ourwater/dsenowof.nsf/childdocs/-1C8A02615F767737CA257244007B07F1.html

And here is the water website showing what the government in Victoria is planning for the future:

http://www.ourwater.vic.gov.au/ourwater/index.html
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanie wrote:
    Not that I can hold it up as a fine example because it isn't, but Australia has been in the grip of a drought for a very long time and we are living with water restrictions now. Perhaps, desalination plants aside, the general population needs to be looking at some of the things we have implimented to capture rainwater, utilize what falls on our properties and the water recycling techniques we employ as individuals. While all that's going on, you probably need to lobby your government for long term solutions as well.

how do i fill up my rainwater tank if it's not raining?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763

It's disappearing "like crazy"?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    810wmb810wmb Posts: 849
    jlew24asu wrote:
    all this talk has made me thirsty

yr making my day here!
    i'm the meat, yer not...signed Capt Asshat
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Dont sweat the water shortage. If Al Gore's right, the melting ice caps will have us swimming in it. No pun intended.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    how do i fill up my rainwater tank if it's not raining?

Guess you guys have different needs there in NSW cate. :)

Did you see the piece they did recently on Bourke's Backyard Special about water? There was some really great tips there on what to do to get water and how to utilize it once it was on your property.

When we don't get enough rain out at the bush place we have to buy water in to fill the tank.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanie wrote:
    Guess you guys have different needs there in NSW cate. :)

Did you see the piece they did recently on Bourke's Backyard Special about water? There was some really great tips there on what to do to get water and how to utilize it once it was on your property.

When we don't get enough rain out at the bush place we have to buy water in to fill the tank.

WHAT!? you BUY water to fill your RAIN tank? where is that water coming from?

i dont have a garden, and in the 11 years ive been in my humble abode, have never watered even the smallest blade of grass, cause as you know we got no water, ;) so theres no need for me to watch don bourke's rant about water conservation re: my property.

i never quite understood the fascination for a lovely green lawn in australia. must be an english thing we haven't gotten over yet. i mean come on aussies, this is one of the driest places on earth not gloucestershire.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say