Options

You all feel less like family....

Comments

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    and more like ticket competition. I think the good ole days of the ten club members are behind us.

well then.. ill remember that when i have tons of beers to share .. ;) To be honest with you.. i've met so many good souls through this band that every time i go to a show it feels like home. Just be selective. Surround yourself with the people who feel the same way you do. Maybe i am just lucky but the friends i've technically met through pearl jam always help me out and go out of there way to make it a better experience and it feels even better returning the favor.

Us over thinking shit and being greedy is gonna be the downfall of the "family"
    not the douche who has seen them front row 30 times and can't shut up about it ;p
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Zoso wrote:
    I have another story about this kind of stuff... I don't think it's changed but the fandom level has gone up that's for sure...

Me and my wife were in line at camden waiting to see out first show together and this ass is behind us pushes passed both of us yelling 'hurry up i need to get a poster'... then he proceeds to run like a mad fucker through everyone to the poster line.

I think the poster thing has got out of hand let's be honest.

I think there are mostly nice 10c's but you get the occasional 'poster obsessed' or 'i've been to 50 shows I'm entitled' type of fan. But you get a bad portion in any large fan base.

I think we should go back to black and white handbills... something about colors and thick paper drives people crazy around these parts..
  • Options
    ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Jennytree wrote:
    I guess what the queue for the Munich show taught me is that some people will just never lighten up... EVER! I jokingly mentioned that there was no point in putting my name on THE list, as I'd skip the queue anyway, and some people were looking at me as if I told them I supported George Bush. I was on my own in a random country, way to be freakin' friendly, guys!

this might come off as splitting hairs, but I'm almost positive that 90% of the people who were making that line a bitch to be in weren't german. ;) But I totally see your point. Good thing I was happy enough to be in that line AT ALL and didn't care about people cutting in. Or raising hell for doing it, for that matter.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    acutejam wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I'm probably now a bigger Ed fan than a PJ fan. Not that I wouldn't give an arm to see McCready or Stone, or PJ, but at 41 and life events and what not -- Ed's solo style just sings more to me. I blame The Bridge School shows too, just a fantastic style to see them rock -- hell, probably the best Trent and Foo has ever sounded too! (See how I did that? Dropped that elitists "I've Been to Bridge Shows!" mojo?).

Interesting. I'm a big fan of Ed's more laid back acoustic stuff, but I would be plenty happy if he never tried to write another crappy punk riff rocker. I'm in the odd position of liking Ed on his own, but also feeling like he's kind of killing PJ. He gets final say on the tracklisting, he's Matt's biggest supporter even though Matt's songs are hands down the weakest and his style can't keep up with Stone/Jeff's grooves and Mike's improv. I actually think if Ed left PJ both would be better for it. Jeff, Stone, and Mike could get back to doing the great bluesy grooves that made PJ great, and Ed would probably settle more into the elder statesman acoustic thing he's got going on now. Instead, he hampers the rest of the band from doing what they do best by forcing a bunch of boring punk/art tunes onto albums and shelving great songs like Sad and Down in favor of lame songs like Get Right and Green Disease.
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    I would say the vibe of this board has changed slightly. You can definitely tell a drop off of activity since this became a members only board. Thus left with members only who get benefits from their membershps, there are naturally going to be more posts that are more entitlement related.

At the shows, I've had great experiences with 99% of the people that I meet. Of course you are going to come across some you have personality clashes with. That comes with any environment.
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I can still remember my first PJ show in Sacramento...A couple got popped for underage drinking so they had to leave. Before they left they offered their tickets to my friend and I. We took them....stuck them in our pocket....Went to get a drink.....pulled them out to see where the seat were......

SECOND ROW CENTER!!!

I assume these folks were 10c based on their incredible seats. So ever since then I have felt like PJ fans are a tight group of folks who enjoy the band, touring and each other. I can't wait for the tour so I can maybe see some old faces and meet new ones.

cheers!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Interesting. I'm a big fan of Ed's more laid back acoustic stuff, but I would be plenty happy if he never tried to write another crappy punk riff rocker. I'm in the odd position of liking Ed on his own, but also feeling like he's kind of killing PJ. He gets final say on the tracklisting, he's Matt's biggest supporter even though Matt's songs are hands down the weakest and his style can't keep up with Stone/Jeff's grooves and Mike's improv. I actually think if Ed left PJ both would be better for it. Jeff, Stone, and Mike could get back to doing the great bluesy grooves that made PJ great, and Ed would probably settle more into the elder statesman acoustic thing he's got going on now. Instead, he hampers the rest of the band from doing what they do best by forcing a bunch of boring punk/art tunes onto albums and shelving great songs like Sad and Down in favor of lame songs like Get Right and Green Disease.

Hmmm. I think I agree with you -- it's the bluesy grooves that I do really dig, liked Stone's new stuff (though more folksy than bluesy). Loved Mad Season, took me long enough to snag that. I think regardless, it's the kind of creative tension that does make bands great ... or makes them break. I wonder if the same thing kinda applies to the 10C? Regardless, lets see what this next one looks like -- I can't get behind Ed leavin' PJ! Quite yet.... Can't think of too many folks that's worked out for. Lennon/McCartney?

But it's kind of interesting, even if he/they shelves 'em from the studio albums -- they get played live!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    It's DUDETTE to you.

No, the problem is people caring too much about what others think and caring too much about how fucking cool thay think they are in the tenclub stakes. I don't give a shit what people think about me, I'm there for the music and not to be seen. Part of having a good time at the shows for me is wearing my customised PJ shirts and having other PJ fans chat to me cuz it's instantly recognisable. I'm in my twenties and not in school anymore, I won't be made to feel like i'm not part of the cool crowd cuz I wear a bands shirt to their show.

As I said earlier, I've been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs - everything from Alanis Morissette to Pig Destroyer, and 90% of the time I wear the bands shirt, no one has had a problem apart from select Pearl Jam fans... Jeez, grow up.[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion, but i was referring to the donkey who is telling you what to wear to a show being the problem 8-) Not you :D[/quote]

ah cool. No problem :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    I would say the vibe of this board has changed slightly. You can definitely tell a drop off of activity since this became a members only board. Thus left with members only who get benefits from their membershps, there are naturally going to be more posts that are more entitlement related.

At the shows, I've had great experiences with 99% of the people that I meet. Of course you are going to come across some you have personality clashes with. That comes with any environment.

i actually found more of the enititlement BS on the old, free board....so go figure? :P but sure, it will always permeate things to some degree....i mean, the very purpose of this board is rather obsessive....a fan board for a rock band. :D

i think leathermandi said it best...surround yourself with people who think in kind, be open.....and basically you get what you give. not to say there won't be an ass or two in the mix...or that occasionally poor judgement won't come into play....but overall, your own attitude sets the tone. be friendly, and most people are right back atcha. :)

here it is:

To be honest with you.. i've met so many good souls through this band that every time i go to a show it feels like home. Just be selective. Surround yourself with the people who feel the same way you do. Maybe i am just lucky but the friends i've technically met through pearl jam always help me out and go out of there way to make it a better experience and it feels even better returning the favor.

well said.
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Jennytree wrote:
    I guess what the queue for the Munich show taught me is that some people will just never lighten up... EVER! I jokingly mentioned that there was no point in putting my name on THE list, as I'd skip the queue anyway, and some people were looking at me as if I told them I supported George Bush. I was on my own in a random country, way to be freakin' friendly, guys!

this might come off as splitting hairs, but I'm almost positive that 90% of the people who were making that line a bitch to be in weren't german. ;) But I totally see your point. Good thing I was happy enough to be in that line AT ALL and didn't care
    oh absolutely! I didn't mean for that to sound like a go at Germans. I love Germany and thats why I can't wait to go back to Berlin :) I also can't wait to meet new 10c'ers in Aug!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930

Wow. This is 100% spot on. I agree with everything about this post.
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I'm probably now a bigger Ed fan than a PJ fan. Not that I wouldn't give an arm to see McCready or Stone, or PJ, but at 41 and life events and what not -- Ed's solo style just sings more to me. I blame The Bridge School shows too, just a fantastic style to see them rock -- hell, probably the best Trent and Foo has ever sounded too! (See how I did that? Dropped that elitists "I've Been to Bridge Shows!" mojo?).

I really like Get Right and Green Disease.....

Sorry, I guess... :?:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    acutejam wrote:

i would trade get right/green disease for..............sad, but not down.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 347
    surforia wrote:
    Take a look at how many people walk around wearing PJ t-shirts to a PJ show, for example...

Call me a 'dork' and all but what the fuck is wrong with that? :|

There's nothing wrong with it. There's also nothing wrong with wearing tube socks with flip flops.

Maybe I gave a bad example, as what someone wears isn't really indicative of their personality... Regardless, my point was that my experience with some more of the "hardcore" fans (and by no means the majority) over the last few years reminds me of some sort of elitist trekie convention... People walking around bragging about how many posters they have, how they were at that epic show, or bitching about how "they always play Even Flow." Fucking lame.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Jennytree wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:

this might come off as splitting hairs, but I'm almost positive that 90% of the people who were making that line a bitch to be in weren't german. ;) But I totally see your point. Good thing I was happy enough to be in that line AT ALL and didn't care
    oh absolutely! I didn't mean for that to sound like a go at Germans. I love Germany and thats why I can't wait to go back to Berlin :) I also can't wait to meet new 10c'ers in Aug!

No offense taken :) I wa just teasing a little...
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:

Hmmm. I think I agree with you -- it's the bluesy grooves that I do really dig, liked Stone's new stuff (though more folksy than bluesy). Loved Mad Season, took me long enough to snag that. I think regardless, it's the kind of creative tension that does make bands great ... or makes them break. I wonder if the same thing kinda applies to the 10C? Regardless, lets see what this next one looks like -- I can't get behind Ed leavin' PJ! Quite yet.... Can't think of too many folks that's worked out for. Lennon/McCartney?

But it's kind of interesting, even if he/they shelves 'em from the studio albums -- they get played live!

True, which is why I'm hoping this album lives up to what they've said about approaching it from the "will we want to play this in 2 tours" thing. They've made a conscious effort to make the albums kinda underwhelming lately, and I put that on Ed as it seems to be the consensus that he's the final arbiter of what's on the album and what isn't. And based on the fact that they DO play those great songs live and a lot of the mediocre album tunes disappear very quick, they clearly know what works and what doesn't. They just seem to consciously suppress that when making an album. So there may be hope yet.

If it doesn't work out though... may I suggest that Stone, Jeff, and Mike bring on either Shawn Smith or Greg Dulli to front the next band... that'd be sweet! Perfect match for their groovy, soulful side. Ed can play his acoustic stuff and bring c-average back to back him on punk tunes ;)
  • Options

You ought to be... you're breaking up the band Yoko!
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    and more like ticket competition. I think the good ole days of the ten club members are behind us.

well then.. ill remember that when i have tons of beers to share .. ;) To be honest with you.. i've met so many good souls through this band that every time i go to a show it feels like home. Just be selective. Surround yourself with the people who feel the same way you do. Maybe i am just lucky but the friends i've technically met through pearl jam always help me out and go out of there way to make it a better experience and it feels even better returning the favor.

Us over thinking shit and being greedy is gonna be the downfall of the "family"
    not the douche who has seen them front row 30 times and can't shut up about it ;p

I've never had a drink or a smoke at a PJ show. I have however had a drunk ten club member allow me to stand in his Puke for an entire show during at a Cincy show for the Avocado tour. So you can keep your beer to yourself.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    A lot of the great exchanges between the family takes place away from here, via something called email as us family members get this stuff sorted between ourselves :)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    I think we can all at least agree -- Yoko bites! Neh?

Oooh, you had me on Shawn, until I remembered (wiki'd) nope it was Shawn Mullins I dig -- a la the Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge "The Thorns" man..... Now there was some rockin' acoustic!

Wow, I will just say in keeping with the thread that creative tensions make life interesting. As a forty something, I don't easily or quickly make friends (let alone family) in these digital domains, but I have here. A few I know by their actual names now, twice as many by pit name alone (and this will always be "the pit"). Idiots abound, but I know on my facebook and in person, I must come off as a crazed fanboi to many folks because, as it was stated, they just HAVE been the soundtrack for the last 17 years of my life.

"You're flying to Philly just for one concert?!??!" Not exactly....

Yeah, I've run across self-important MiniMe Dictators around here -- folks that think like that Line-List Girl! I chuckle thinking about some of you young-uns coming into the work force with the attitudes displayed around here. But that's even beyond PJ, it's universal and a constant, youth pushing past their elders ... for a poster! hehehe.

I don't know where this band is going, but it's great to see them keep pulling in new fans. That'll be more competition for tickets, more longing for "the way it used to be..." But also more energy for the band.

I think "geez, I'm just three years younger than Eddie."

So sometimes I think yeah, I'm not his target audience any more ... but then ITW blew that outta the water. We'll see where this next album is. I just keep thinking about my other fav band -- Rush. Man, they SUCKED through the 90s (IMO). Literally half of their 30-year run I couldn't stomach them ... and then after a 5 year hiatus, great personal tragedy and the thought that they're done, the unleashed the wicked Vapor Trails and began another few years of complete ass-kickin' shows!

So yeah, I'm really prayin this next PJ album isn't .... Power Windows!
    (Especially if you consider their "Moving Pictures" was actually Ten! Yikes!)
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    Wow...how can anyone feel good vibes with the elitist dogma I'm reading. Seriously? Folks on here prescribe to a dress code? Someone is "out" if they wear clothing not on the approved list of concert going apparel? Seniority? What does that matter to anyone?

I'm new to this board. I'm not much of a joiner but I purchased a membership so that i wouldn't have to pay ticketmaster to appreciate an art form. End of story. I don't feel that entitles me to anything special or admission into their personal lives. These men are not gods and as far as I can tell, don't want to be worshipped. They make art...for themselves. We just get to witness the ever changing process. Would it not be odd if it didn't grow and morph? Imagine having to fit your entire life into a neat little box...scrutinzed constantly and all because of what you do to earn a living. "Oh, they've changed....Oh, it's the same shit as before." Enjoy it or don't but I would think would be much more pleasing if you didn't project your expectations on everyone else.

Now, I'm sorry if this comes across a bitch move. However, chill out. Enjoy the medium, the expression and the fun of going to a show. Whatever you're expecting, stop. Take a breath and just listen.

"Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle..."
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    nate_j_ynate_j_y Posts: 41
    i'm just glad when i can get in the doors...i don't care where i sit
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    So sometimes I think yeah, I'm not his target audience any more ... but then ITW blew that outta the water. We'll see where this next album is. I just keep thinking about my other fav band -- Rush. Man, they SUCKED through the 90s (IMO). Literally half of their 30-year run I couldn't stomach them ... and then after a 5 year hiatus, great personal tragedy and the thought that they're done, the unleashed the wicked Vapor Trails and began another few years of complete ass-kickin' shows!

So yeah, I'm really prayin this next PJ album isn't .... Power Windows!
    (Especially if you consider their "Moving Pictures" was actually Ten! Yikes!)

You make a good point. A lot of artists have gone through periods where their work was not remotely compelling, only to bounce back with something great years later. Springsteen, Dylan, Aerosmith (their FIRST comeback), U2... all had periods where they weren't really being noticed by anyone but the devoted, only to come roaring back late in their careers with albums that gained as much notice as the best of their glory days.
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,565
    acutejam and soulsinging: maan I like you guys both. Most of the time, what soulsinging posts aligns with what I think in that particular subject, whatever it may be. And acutejam is one of my partners in crime. What kind of crime, I won't discuss here :D but man, you guys should put down the pipe and get some fresh air! Pearl Jam without Vedder? Come on now be realistic! I mean Jeff and Stone and our own guitar god McCready could just do a jam band side project or whatever but there ain't no Pearl Jam without the VOICE, the PERSONA that we know! You know?
    Also acutejam, my dear friend, we are and always will be this band's target audience! I don't ever wanna hear yyou talk about being old again :)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,565
    acutejam and soulsinging: maan I like you guys both. Most of the time, what soulsinging posts aligns with what I think in that particular subject, whatever it may be. And acutejam is one of my partners in crime. What kind of crime, I won't discuss here :D but man, you guys should put down the pipe and get some fresh air! Pearl Jam without Vedder? Come on now be realistic! I mean Jeff and Stone and our own guitar god McCready could just do a jam band side project or whatever but there ain't no Pearl Jam without the VOICE, the PERSONA that we know! You know?
    Also acutejam, my dear friend, we are and always will be this band's target audience! I don't ever wanna hear yyou talk about being old again :)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Sad is an incredible song....and the version of Down on the single is better than the Lost Dogs version...I really like the more intense wah solo in the single version..
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    Sad is an incredible song....and the version of Down on the single is better than the Lost Dogs version...I really like the more intense wah solo in the single version..

Damn you for saying that... now I want to track down the single version to compare. I'm not sure I've ever heard it. I kinda wish they hadn't changed up versions for Lost Dogs... I liked the original Dirty Frank and U just fine!
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:

You again! How many times have I told you to stay outta my yard! I'm keeping your ball the next time it comes near my yard! Dag'nabit, now my walker is stuck in the tan-bark!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:

I appreciate the kind words, and you're right. I don't think it'd be Pearl Jam without Vedder. But I also think I'd rather see the band part ways and do their own interesting projects than carry on like the Rolling Stones, cranking out boring albums for years.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    acutejam wrote:
    I think we can all at least agree -- Yoko bites! Neh?
    Ya know, I don't know if anyone will argue with you on that!

I love reading all the personal views of the music, the band and the fans. That's what I love about music: it's all open to interpretation. Mine, yours, and ours. ;)