Options

You all feel less like family....

Comments

• Options
    Cosmic SlopCosmic Slop Posts: 107
    I definitely don't feel the same sense of community on any of the boards anymore, but all that is erased when I go to a show. Whenever I have any doubt about whether I still love this band as much I used to, a live show just brings it all back. I especially loved the Ed shows because it was a nice way to see Ed away from it all, and he sounded great. The crowds were way different from PJ shows, but that's ok. Some of my best friends are people I met at my first shows, in line, at pre-parties, on different boards, etc. Now we just keep in touch by hanging out in person rather than using the board to do it.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    i have a story about one of these "crazies"..

so, it's Boston 1 of EV east coast tour. I have TC tix and I bring my girlfriend. Before the show we go to this bar around the corner and we grab some food and drinks. We got talking to the bartendar about the show as he mentioned having a ticket to the next night... well there's this middle-aged woman sitting next to us the whole time by herself. She made a comment about my drink and then butted in when I mentioned going to the show.

She started to ramble on about always being in the front row and how she was unhappy that the 1st and 5th rows were random for this tour. She was talking about eddies second kid, which I had no idea about. And she looked at me and said something along the lines of "aren't you on the message boards"?
    overall I just got a weird vibe from this chick and later discussed with my g-friend about how spoiled some fans are.
    I have been to 13 Pj shows, most of them sat in nose bleeds. and these were my closest seats ever (8th row) and here's someone complaining about the random selection, who's been first row for every show she's been to.

kinda got to me...

I have encountered people like that at shows as well. It's almost like the number of shows you have gone to and how close you were has turned into "cred" for some people. It's not even about the show or the music anymore. Just look at some of the sigs here. Although i am happy that you sat in the 2nd row, I don't need to be reminded of that every time I see one of your posts. No one cares. As I said above, things are going south and I am seeing more and more people around here getting fed up.

I agree with most of what you guys are saying, the vibe seems to have changed over the past 8 years... BUT I have my shows on my signature (which I cant get rid of now, because the board doesnt give you the option to edit that anymore) and I'm not quite the person you are describing! :P
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    I feel like the good feelings associated with pearl jam are slowly fading away. It's just not the same anymore.

sad to say but i agree.
  • Options
    I don't know what the fuck you're talking about..the last tour i met all kinds of cool people..wether it was the poster line,ticket line or the beer line..maybe it's because you have become jaded after all these years..in other words..maybe it's you all that have changed..and not the experience.

so you can all stay home for the next tour thus avoiding being "ticket competition"!!
  • Options
    BMoore09BMoore09 Posts: 177
    I can see the difference from now back to the 2000 tour. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you can now go to as many shows as you want. I think in 2000 it was two shows?? Or just one?

Just as an example I remember back when there was seniority but you still had to get in line early for some reason for the better seats. There was this girl there who thought she was queen bee of the PJ fans and the line-up procedure. If you stepped out of line without signing her "sheet" or "list" she would try to kick you out of line. Some people would obey her, some would tell her to screw off. I thought it was funny. My friends and I called her the line nazi.
    West Palm Beach I, WPB II, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville 2000
    West Palm Beach 2003
    Tampa 2003
    The VIC - Chicago 2007
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Tampa 2008
    Ed Solo 2008 NYC
    Philly 10/30/2009
    Columbus 2010
  • Options
    I definitely see what you are talking about here on the board. Not so much at concerts though. Maybe I just haven't been to enough of them, but everyone I meet at the concerts is always really positive and just more excited to be there and see Pearl Jam then talk about their goods or whatnot. I think there is a big difference between someone talking about how great a show was that they went to, and bragging about what a great show they went to that you missed.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,570
    Things have definately changed with the band and the fan club, so it is only natural that the fan community will too.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I definitely see what you are talking about here on the board. Not so much at concerts though. Maybe I just haven't been to enough of them, but everyone I meet at the concerts is always really positive and just more excited to be there and see Pearl Jam then talk about their goods or whatnot. I think there is a big difference between someone talking about how great a show was that they went to, and bragging about what a great show they went to that you missed.

I agre concerts are different for me as well, hanging out before and after the show is always a blast, I met one of my best friends on the 10C tkt line on 2003 :)

The board has changed somewhat, maybe its hard for those of us who came from the BBS and then changed over to the other board and then to this one, we have lost a lot of the people that were regulars and there is a lot of new people, maybe that's what's happening, I think the vibe on the board has changed, maybe it's just me :(
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    ya'll done lost your mind.....................you do not even get along with everyone in your true family.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Well...you're all family to me..and I know....as always....this family will pick up and help every member we can who get shut out for tickets for the upcoming tour..just save a ticket for every show on the east coast for me :)
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    While I love the boards , nothing compares to the live experience...whether PJ or a side project show. I see no loss in family spirit when I'm on the road.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i've only been to 3 shows and i have them posted.
    i think its cool cause someone can see i was at that show and talk to me about their experience.

i've come to realize that maybe 4% of the people on earth are cool, smart, reasonable people..
    so as in any group(as smart as my pj friends are) not everyone is gonna "get it" and feel like family

the world is full of douche's my friends..its just a number game now
    bigger the fan base..bigger the chance of having some awful people

enjoy the real friends on here..guarantee they still exist :D
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 347
    Good thread... I'm new to the board, but have been a member since '95 (just discovered message boards within last few years)... I think the shows in people's sigs are okay because they can establish common ground between people that have been to the same show, give them something to talk about, etc...

I have had the unfortunate experience, over the years, of witnessing a difference in the fans, as well... I don't really know how to say this, but I think lots of PJ fans have turned into, well, dorks (defining as someone lacking social prowess)... Take a look at how many people walk around wearing PJ t-shirts to a PJ show, for example... Or look at how aggressive the poster line is... Or hearing someone brag about how they have reeink roink... My worst experience with a 10C member was in Camden II in '06. I was stage left and our seats were in the second row waaaayyy to the left, in front of the speaker... there was a mix up, and my gf at the time was in the wrong seat... some "fellow" 10C member (who had been standing for the entire set) literally got up in her face at the set break (when he finally wanted to sit down) to "get out of my seat now!" This poor girl was terrified. Back in the old days, for GA shows, I would have driven an elbow into his spleen... I'll never forget this guy - he was literally like 4'11".
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I think the roots of the problem are age and money.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    I don't know what the fuck you're talking about..the last tour i met all kinds of cool people..wether it was the poster line,ticket line or the beer line..maybe it's because you have become jaded after all these years..in other words..maybe it's you all that have changed..and not the experience.

so you can all stay home for the next tour thus avoiding being "ticket competition"!!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't know where you're getting this 'competition' bollocks from, just head over to any of the threads about the August Euro shows! Everyone's helping each other out, offering lifts, extra tickets, floors to sleep on, arranging pub meet ups, mini buses etc... It's all about getting together and sharing the love for the music!

I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly didn't come over all Nelson Muntz screaming 'Haha!' to anyone who hasn't got a ticket or isn't in Europe, I bent over backwards to contact people and let them know what was going on. I'm looking forward to the friends/family aspect as much as the music - one reason why I started the roll call threads - so that people can see who's going and who's not! The love of my life, Some of my best friendships and some of the nicest people I've met have all originated in Tenclub and/or through Pearl Jam, and I couldn't get a bigger feeling of family than I have when my phone is erupting every 10 seconds because tour news has been announced! We all still stick together like we always have... i'm really sorry that select few have become bitter and twisted enough not to see it anymore.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    surforia wrote:
    Take a look at how many people walk around wearing PJ t-shirts to a PJ show, for example...

Call me a 'dork' and all but what the fuck is wrong with that? :|
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560

+ mother fucking 1

I had a wonderful experience last summer for an Ed show...

Posted a message on here that I needed a ticket...dude promised to met me at the show; and he did.

Fucking stellar dude. Didn't know me from a fly on the wall and helped my sorry ass out!! Oh yeah, and then all he did was send me copies of his favorite boots from the tour. NewmanUPS is his handle, by the way...

Have a good one y'all...
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    surforia wrote:
    Take a look at how many people walk around wearing PJ t-shirts to a PJ show, for example...

general concert rule..you dont wear the shirt of the band playing! :D
    but since it pisses people off you gotta keep doing it 8-)
  • Options
    oh great .............another enlightening comment about what to wear to a pj show.

can someone find the picture of a pearl jam member wearing a pearl jam shirt and end this?
  • Options

Well i've been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs and festivals and never once has someone enlightened me about this 'rule' :roll: ;)

I'll keep doing it if it pisses people off or not... I don't give two shits what people think! :lol:
    ajedigecko wrote:
    oh great .............another enlightening comment about what to wear to a pj show.

Do as I do... wear what the hell you like! :mrgreen:

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    LongRoad wrote:
    Seeing the same people front row every single night gets tiring. Hearing their elitist talk is even worse. That is why I would probably trade my excellent 10c tix for a spot away from such fans. I would rather be right up the back in my own little world just enjoying the music, than be down the front with people checking off stats and figures and being the benefactors of everything Ed hands out to the audience (maybe he thinks they'll finally go away if he gives them his harmonica?).

These are exactly the people I'm talking about.
  • Options

Well i've been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs and festivals and never once has someone enlightened me about this 'rule' :roll: ;)

I'll keep doing it if it pisses people off or not... I don't give two shits what people think! :lol:
    ajedigecko wrote:

i would venture to say.........i bet people who do not wear a pj shirt put more thought into "not wearing a pj shirt" than those who do.
  • Options
    LongRoad wrote:
    Seeing the same people front row every single night gets tiring. Hearing their elitist talk is even worse. That is why I would probably trade my excellent 10c tix for a spot away from such fans. I would rather be right up the back in my own little world just enjoying the music, than be down the front with people checking off stats and figures and being the benefactors of everything Ed hands out to the audience (maybe he thinks they'll finally go away if he gives them his harmonica?).

To be fair, that would annoy me... I'm glad it doesn't happen in Europe :mrgreen:

• Options
    LongRoad wrote:

it does not happen in kansas either.......................but then again, what does?

(response was intended for sian's europe comment)
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

I think you might be onto something there. Like the guy above you said, I think the cool people left when the albums started to kinda suck. Now all that's left is a bunch of petty dorks that treat the band like any other collectible obsession (Star Trek, d&d, stamps, whatever).
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:

ajedigecko wrote:

i would venture to say.........i bet people who do not wear a pj shirt put more thought into "not wearing a pj shirt" than those who do.

Agreed.

Ego is a fickle but time consuming thing...

• Options

I think you might be onto something there. Like the guy above you said, I think the cool people left when the albums started to kinda suck. Now all that's left is a bunch of petty dorks that treat the band like any other collectible obsession (Star Trek, d&d, stamps, whatever).

Not true! I'm only 25 and i'm the coolest mother fucker you'll ever meet 8-)

I jest :lol:

To be honest, I think it's a select few people getting cantankerous and bitter in their old age. People who were just as competitive and dorky about Pearl Jam when they had time - way before families, bills and life's strain took it's toll... but hey, that's my opinion and we all know opinions are like arseholes...

• Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    surforia wrote:

Right Sian????

Sounds like you may be a BIG part of the problem dude...
  • Options
    I typically go to shows with a bunch of my friends, so I don't interact with other 10C members all that much in person, but what people are describing happens to every band, no matter how big or small. Fans turn bands (and bands are complicit in this) into cultural commodities--unlike collecting Picasso paintings, though, it's relatively easier to collect PJ merch, go to shows, etc., so the measuring stick becomes quantity (how many of whatever (shows, boots, posters) do you have) than quality. I'm pretty sure PJ attempted to undermine this by offering the bootlegs for sale, but ultimately those are just ACTUAL commodities because they sell them (at increasing cost).

I will say, though, that there are good people in the 10C--in 2000, I had to travel to Santa Fe for work, so I convinced my boss to send me a day early so I could try to buy a ticket to PJ in albuquerque. Before I left, I posted on Red Mosquito, and two fans who were flying out from the northeast for the show (like I was) drove 15-20 miles to my hotel to hook me up with a 20th row ticket, and I have also given away extra tickets to shows (I love when some meathead sees me in the parking lot with an extra ticket (rarity) and offers me half-face value for it...as soon as that happens, I make sure I GIVE IT to someone right in front of him).
    "And he still gives his love, he just gives it away."
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    surforia wrote:

Right Sian????

Sounds like you may be a BIG part of the problem dude...

DUDE!!!! Big problem, you are.... :D Well... my two cents... nothing worse than wearing a t-shirt with your PIT NAME!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen: Just kidding my lovely... you ARE the coolest person on earth :D