Lottery for PJ tour too? Yea or Nay?

Comments

• Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    Def no, seniority counts!!!!!!!!
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    BTW - I believe the only reason TM is on TC's tickets is because they are printed at the venue, and the venue only has TM ticket-paper stock. ...though when I used to work at MSG, they had their own ticket stock too.

so... there's your answer, fishbulb.

SimpSparkle5A.jpg
    title-fishbulb-3.gif

:D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I hate the idea of getting passwords to log on to ticketmaster for a 10c presale.

I have had 2 events where I had to do this were somewhat disasters: People hacking/distributing passwords, scalping, accusations ticketmaster was witholding the best seats, etc... On both occasions I ended up with terrible seats from the "pre-sale"... while some of my friends got seats 10x better from comps (at least at 1 event).

I feel a lot more comfortable dealing with 10c. the 2008 system was fine
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    It's an improvement, but I'm still not sold on it being definitive. Unless you're one of the lucky winners, most people are still sitting row 30 behind the people that have been row 3 for every show since 2000.

I understand what you mean and may be bummed if I were stuck at row 30. But I'd like to think I'd see the bigger picture that the seniority system thwarts scalping -- and that getting something better than row 30 from Ticketmaster is pretty fucking far from guaranteed...

I'm not stuck at row 30, I've moved up pretty close in recent years (well, 2006). But the system I propose does protect seniority. It just also allows for a little more variety in seating.
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:)
    sCoTt
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I hate the idea of getting passwords to log on to ticketmaster for a 10c presale.

I have had 2 events where I had to do this were somewhat disasters: People hacking/distributing passwords, scalping, accusations ticketmaster was witholding the best seats, etc... On both occasions I ended up with terrible seats from the "pre-sale"... while some of my friends got seats 10x better from comps (at least at 1 event).

After dealing with Metallica last week, I think it's safe to assume that your situation was the fault of whatever band was having the pre-sale. It wasn't a general 1 word password. Every member had their own unique password in their profile good for 4 tickets to each show. They literally were the absolute best seats in the house and almost all of the GA floor. Ticketmaster conveniently forgot to release said best seats and GA pit tickets at 10am and the employees of their fan club were on the phone with them immediately and within 20 minutes the problem was fixed and the best seats were available.
  • Options
    THE ONLY REASON people here are terrified of the new system....

is because they think they may lose their precious 10club seniority......

and god forbid they would have to sit in the 20th row.....
    or god forbid they couldnt sneak their friends in to the front rows....
    or god forbid they might have to sit in the balcony.....
    or god forbid they might have to sit side stage.......
    or god forbid they couldnt go to 20 shows.......

believe me.....

i know more than one person here .......where it is no longer just about seeing the band....

its a disgusting obsession....where they are only happy sitting as close to the stage as possible and coming back to the board and letting everyone know what color Eds nose hairs are.....

AMEN! Your posts have been absolutely spot on the last few days between this and the "rules for eddie solo shows thread". I am so sick of the same people up front and them seeing them blatantly brag about it on here. It is disgusting and has little to do with the music anymore.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,319
    MayDay10 wrote:

After dealing with Metallica last week, I think it's safe to assume that your situation was the fault of whatever band was having the pre-sale. It wasn't a general 1 word password. Every member had their own unique password in their profile good for 4 tickets to each show. They literally were the absolute best seats in the house and almost all of the GA floor. Ticketmaster conveniently forgot to release said best seats and GA pit tickets at 10am and the employees of their fan club were on the phone with them immediately and within 20 minutes the problem was fixed and the best seats were available.

The two things that jump out at me there are that the floor was GA -- which is almost never the case with Pearl Jam -- and Ticketmaster did exactly the kind of shady shit most of us fear they would with this kind of system. Good for Metallica's fan club personnel for acting swiftly, but I'd just as soon avoid Ticketmaster altogether.

I'm not sure how you think this is bolstering your argument.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    I am so sick of the same people up front and them seeing them blatantly brag about it on here.

Can you link to some examples here of that? Because I can honestly say I've seen more accusations of bragging than actual bragging by at least a 10x1 margin.
  • Options
    Not sure why folks feel the need to be so strident about this issue. The fan club came up with a good solution for last tour making 3 or 4 rows out of the first 10 random. I hope they keep that in place for the next PJ tour; and then for Ed shows, keep the lottery system in place. Both systems seem fair to me. I believe that loyal supporters of the band and fan club should get to keep their "perks"-- meaning: good folks shouldn't be punished because of a few rotten apples.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    THE ONLY REASON people here are terrified of the new system....

is because they think they may lose their precious 10club seniority......

and god forbid they would have to sit in the 20th row.....
    or god forbid they couldnt sneak their friends in to the front rows....
    or god forbid they might have to sit in the balcony.....
    or god forbid they might have to sit side stage.......
    or god forbid they couldnt go to 20 shows.......

believe me.....

i know more than one person here .......where it is no longer just about seeing the band....

its a disgusting obsession....where they are only happy sitting as close to the stage as possible and coming back to the board and letting everyone know what color Eds nose hairs are.....

AMEN! Your posts have been absolutely spot on the last few days between this and the "rules for eddie solo shows thread". I am so sick of the same people up front and them seeing them blatantly brag about it on here. It is disgusting and has little to do with the music anymore.
    right on....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Not sure why folks feel the need to be so strident about this issue. The fan club came up with a good solution for last tour making 3 or 4 rows out of the first 10 random. I hope they keep that in place for the next PJ tour; and then for Ed shows, keep the lottery system in place. Both systems seem fair to me. I believe that loyal supporters of the band and fan club should get to keep their "perks"-- meaning: good folks shouldn't be punished because of a few rotten apples.

OP is referring to the lottery for getting TC tickets at all, not so much for the placement of your seats within the TC's seating area. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    The two things that jump out at me there are that the floor was GA -- which is almost never the case with Pearl Jam -- and Ticketmaster did exactly the kind of shady shit most of us fear they would with this kind of system. Good for Metallica's fan club personnel for acting swiftly, but I'd just as soon avoid Ticketmaster altogether.

I'm not sure how you think this is bolstering your argument.

Because in addition to GA, the best seats in the venue were also available. Almost all of the Loge seats at MSG were made available. If you are dealing with a fan club that is on the ball (Metallica's) then the shady shit isn't a problem. Everyone had a fair and equal shot at the seats and Pit. That system worked.
  • Options
    I believe that loyal supporters of the band and fan club should get to keep their "perks"-- meaning: good folks shouldn't be punished because of a few rotten apples.

It's not just that -- it benefits everyone. It reduces the incentive for scalpers, which means the great seats belong exclusively to real Pearl Jam fans. A person with a bad number is more likely to find an extra from a person with a great number than they would be to pull a front-row ticket from Ticketmaster if there were no 10-C.
  • Options
    Everyone had a fair and equal shot at the seats and Pit. That system worked.

If that's the heart of your argument, 10-C could just do away with seniority.

I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy here, but I firmly believe we would all lose ground in the long run.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    I am so sick of the same people up front and them seeing them blatantly brag about it on here.

Can you link to some examples here of that? Because I can honestly say I've seen more accusations of bragging than actual bragging by at least a 10x1 margin.

I'm not going back through the archives on here (03, 06, 05, 08) but there were plenty of people who would jump at the chance to work that into their sentences/reviews along the lines of "This was my 5th show and all were in the first 6 rows". Stuff like that. I'm sure there are still signatures of some members that make it a point of letting us know what row they sat in.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    2008 system worked fine and gave ALL members the chance to be up front

if it aint broke......
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    It's an improvement, but I'm still not sold on it being definitive. Unless you're one of the lucky winners, most people are still sitting row 30 behind the people that have been row 3 for every show since 2000.

I understand what you mean and may be bummed if I were stuck at row 30. But I'd like to think I'd see the bigger picture that the seniority system thwarts scalping -- and that getting something better than row 30 from Ticketmaster is pretty fucking far from guaranteed...

:shock: bummed in row 30?! really!? wow i've never been even close to that close through ticketmaster ... ever ... wow, you guys really have had it good huh? glad i signed up :lol:

ps: full disclosure: i did get 5th row to see EV, so that was amazing ... but PJ nowhere near ...
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Everyone had a fair and equal shot at the seats and Pit. That system worked.

If that's the heart of your argument, 10-C could just do away with seniority.

I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy here, but I firmly believe we would all lose ground in the long run.

I have a somewhat decent number (196xxx). I would be all for doing away with seniority (or at least once and awhile). When I was coming home on the train from MSG last year, a guy sat to me who won the lottery for BOTH shows. The guy was thrilled and looked like he hit the Powerball lottery. I'd love for there to be about 200 guys/girls like him (and maybe me once or twice) at every show. Or maybe in cities where they do 2 nights, throw seniority out for the 2nd show or something.

I do understand the fact that people with very low numbers would have issues with this and I understand why they would but it would be nice to have a shot at getting close. That was why the Borgata show was awesome. If you wanted to be close, you had the chance to get there at 2PM and wait in line.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    whaaa whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaa ,so what .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bumperdebumperde Posts: 104
    Philly 2..nay
    "take my hand, not my picture"
  • Options
    I have a somewhat decent number (196xxx). I would be all for doing away with seniority (or at least once and awhile). When I was coming home on the train from MSG last year, a guy sat to me who won the lottery for BOTH shows. The guy was thrilled and looked like he hit the Powerball lottery. I'd love for there to be about 200 guys/girls like him (and maybe me once or twice) at every show. Or maybe in cities where they do 2 nights, throw seniority out for the 2nd show or something.

I do understand the fact that people with very low numbers would have issues with this and I understand why they would but it would be nice to have a shot at getting close. That was why the Borgata show was awesome. If you wanted to be close, you had the chance to get there at 2PM and wait in line.

I understand and respect what you're saying, but I don't think you're considering other effects, such as how the ranks of scalpers would swell if we all had the same shot at great seats (and, as importantly, there were no real repercussions to getting caught scalping front- or second-row seats).

I think rows 1-2 and 9-10 being random gives people enough hope and opportunity. If people proposed doing the same thing for two rows out of every ten all the way back on the floor, I'd vote for that, too. But getting rid of seniority altogether would do more harm than good for the collective fanbase. I've said this here a few times before, but imagine the howls on this forum about the 'Gossip Girl' people up front whose dads dropped $1,000 on the tickets and spent the whole night texting... :D
  • Options
    How did the discussion tun into this? The thread was meant to be a simple Yay or Nay for the lottery system. Seems like the majority of people say NAY for the Pearl Jam tour but YAY for future Eddie tours.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    I understand and respect what you're saying, but I don't think you're considering other effects, such as how the ranks of scalpers would swell if we all had the same shot at great seats (and, as importantly, there were no real repercussions to getting caught scalping front- or second-row seats).

I think rows 1-2 and 9-10 being random gives people enough hope and opportunity. If people proposed doing the same thing for two rows out of every ten all the way back on the floor, I'd vote for that, too. But getting rid of seniority altogether would do more harm than good for the collective fanbase. I've said this here a few times before, but imagine the howls on this forum about the 'Gossip Girl' people up front whose dads dropped $1,000 on the tickets and spent the whole night texting... :D

hahaha. Gossip Girls up front. Point taken. The only way around that would be to print the name of the purchaser on the ticket and do will call only like NIN, AC/DC and Metallica recently started doing. Until that happens, I think the random lottery for those 4 awesome rows was a great thing.
  • Options
    How did the discussion tun into this? The thread was meant to be a simple Yay or Nay for the lottery system. Seems like the majority of people say NAY for the Pearl Jam tour but YAY for future Eddie tours.

Yep
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

simple.
    there are layers to it. is it ok to discuss? :P
    if the OP is suggesting the EXACT same system from EV's tour for PJ...i say nay.
    however, i like PARTs of each system and wouldn't mind seeing them mesh....so kinda yea.
    this is a discussion board.....april 15th has now passed so i therefore have a LOT of time today to shoot eh shit, and damnnit...i will. :lol:

i LIKE the pj 2008 system for seating
    i LIKE the EV solo 2009 system for actually acquiring tickets
    if somehow these two systems could mesh.....and yet still be able to try for 10c tix for multiple shows........find out quick enough what shows you got and what you didn't - perhaps even offer the 'out' for tix as they did for solo ed this time - thus you can plan your shows/touring well and if you need TM tix.......it might be very, very cool....and imo anyway, a really, really fair way of access for tix and yet respect seniority for seating.

personally, i hate spending hours trying to get tix here, the utter frustrations at times, and the staggered sales while better for the servers are such a time suck.....so yea.........

bottomline tho....whatever 10c decides, i'm down. i will always be up for 10c tix and do what i can to score em. love 10c ticketing! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    whaaa whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaa ,so what .....
    hahahahahahaha

that made me laugh :lol:
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    No no no no no no no

BUT.....lottery for rows 1 and 2 and 10 or whatever it was on the last PJ tour...YES YES YES YES PLEASE
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    I believe that loyal supporters of the band and fan club should get to keep their "perks"-- meaning: good folks shouldn't be punished because of a few rotten apples.

It's not just that -- it benefits everyone. It reduces the incentive for scalpers, which means the great seats belong exclusively to real Pearl Jam fans. A person with a bad number is more likely to find an extra from a person with a great number than they would be to pull a front-row ticket from Ticketmaster if there were no 10-C.
    ultrache
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,557
    edited April 2009
    Edit: thought of a few more.
    I like the idea of the lottery for shows in small venues, but not for the areans/stadiums/amphitheaters. Heres the various ticket procedures, from what I can remember. Correct me if im wrong on any of these. Personally I like the 2008 PJ system with the seniority and then having the 4 random rows up front.

Tours:
    1998-random seating without seniority, one show limit
    2000-one show limit, seniority within “blocks”
    2003-no limit on shows, seniority within “blocks”
    2004-Vote for Change tour-Ticketmaster presale passwords. Not a fan of this.
    2005-Canada/North Am-No limit, strict seniority (no “blocks” if I remember, I could be wrong)
    2006-no limit on shows, strict seniority based (except for Grand Rapids, arggh)
    2008 EV-no limit on shows, no seniority (random), no lottery
    2008 PJ-no limit on shows, strict seniority based, except rows 1-2 & 9-10

Specific Shows:
    2002 Key Arena-lottery, seattle residents?
    2003 House of Blues Florida-radio?
    2003 Santa Barbara-email to be in lottery, from anywhere in country.
    2003 Benaroya-lottery, within seattle area?
    2005 Borgota Shows-lottery, anywhere. GA (seniory NA)
    2005 Philly Wachovia Show-sold outright, strictly seniority
    2005-House of Blues Chicago-10c posted first to reply the day before show had chance to buy tix for like $50. I want to say they had 50 tickets or something like that.
    2006 Henry Fonda LA-lottery, within area? Mostly radio giveaway.
    2006 Letterman aftershow-invite only to very senior fan club members from the area
    2006 Irving Plaza-wait outside for tix with album purchase (no 10C involvement?)
    2007 Vic-tix sold outright, no lottery
    Post edited by Father Hubbard on