Options

Morons who bring people into their row/seats...

Comments

• Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    Cosmo wrote:
    You want to share the love and specialness of your (singular) seat... then, let them have your seat and you take theirs.
    I've done that before... let someone have my third row seat and i moved up to their seat in the Loge for half the show. Your friend isn't the only one who deserves a share... the people in the same row and the people behind you deserve their specialness, too.
    No matter how you try to spin it... it is not sharing... it is selfishness (rationalized as sharing). Giving up your seat for your friend is sharing.

Wow... ok... many bad vibes.

First, they do "share my seat" and don't take others' seats. It does result in a bit of crowding (mostly for me) but very little spill over to other seat areas. If I think we couldn't fit without significantly disrupting others I wouldn't bring anyone else down.

As far as these suggestions of switching for a while.... isn't the other big complaint that people are moving in and out of rows? aren't people going to get annoyed if I leave and then someone else comes back?

I absolutely would not bring someone up because I want to hang out with the person. I bring them up because I think they deserve an "up close" experience because it's so amazing.

If I met you or another fan and we got to talking... and then found out you'd never been close (and probably never would be) ... then, I saw my seats and thought we would fit. I might bring you up. That's how it works for me. The only people I ever brought up close were a PJ fan I had just met at a preparty and my little brother who is a fan. This was also on the last tour before there was a lottery so in my mind they pretty much never would have a chance to be close otherwise.

I agree that there are assholes that do this who are not respectful. It doesn't mean that *everyone* who does this is uncool and will ruin your night. All I'm asking is for some open-mindedness...
  • Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    yeah your friends may like it but the rest of us you have now displaced don't like it. Don't pull this rock and roll excuse either(I am sick of poeple using this as a cop out expression to do whatever they want), it is not a GA show so don't expect people who paid for seats to be happy at all when your friends butt in. Happened at MSG both nights and these tall dudes came in the row and stood right in front of the shortest people like clockwork. Pay for your SEAT and stay in it. Pay for Gen Admin, go where the hell you want in the GA section. Oh and for the record, the granny in front of them got on their asses and they left!

I'm disappointed at the attitudes. You know.. I am one of those "senior" long time members which as a group is collectively attacked for "standing like a statue" (not me)... I wonder if the people pissed at my opinion are fellow "seniors" (in which case the elitist thing certainly has a bit of truth) ... or are you the young "fun" fans who are being hypocrites. which is it?

I get the awesome seats already, ... but I get a rush out of being able to provide that experience to someone else once in a while in the right circumstances. (and not to a buddy - to a fellow fan)... and I don't think I necessarily have to give up my own seat to do it. ... just judge the circumstances and be respectful.

What if I bring down a skinny girl who's 5'2"? (and I'm a girl and 5'5") ... she could easily fit in front of me and there's no way it would disrupt anyone but me. Is that ok ... any takers?

And paying for your seat??? It's not the $$$... all PJ seats are pretty much the same price. ...it's that you can *not* buy these seats so the experience is not available to all.
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    regardless of how you spin it, bringing people to your seat ("stubbing down") affects the people around you. if you are in the 5th row, and all the people in front of you bring one person to their seat, you are now 9th row...that sucks. this sense of entitlement gets on my nerves. people talk about how their friend "deserves" to get the experience of being up close...then give them your seats.

at the kissimmee vfc show in 2004, we had 3rd row center. security was basically non-existent, and people were bringing everyone they knew down front. and they thought that it would be ok to spread over into our 2 seats. um...no. so on either side of us, people were 3 deep all the way to the aisle...and there we were...in the middle, dancing and rocking out like we were in the eye of a hurricane.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    NO I wouldn't! Because whereas that may be the "cool" thing to do for yourself, it's certainly not fair to anyone else standing next to you, who went through all kinds of shit to get those tickets. Also, there is never enough space. One person per one seat. Is that really hard to understand?
    I agree. I have had friends join me in queues before... never by invitation and I've always hinted that I'm not happy with it... but it puts me in an awkward situation and makes me very very uncomfortable. Sure I want to help friends and probably owe them people this favour... but the people behind me don't. I didn't queue overnight or turn up first thing in the morning so other people could just turn up and skip the queue. I apologise sincerely to anyone who was behind me on those occasions :( . Unfortunately I'm too chicken to really put my foot down.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    poto101 wrote:
    THERE IS A BALANCE

Summerfest 6/30/06 I was lucky enough to be brough up to like 14th row for PJ. for petty we had to move because these petty fans finally decided to go to their seats...fuckers. its a CO-headlining show, gotta see both bands. whatever, their loss.
    Huh? :confused: so you mean these people were decent enough to give up their great seats for PJ fans but wanted them when their act was on? My god, how terrible! :D Just cos it's a co-headling show doesn't mean you have to give a fuck about the other band... OR you can think 'those people want it more'. I was 2nd row at lolla for MMJ... the girl behind me was SERIOUSLY excited, I didn't know any of their music so I let her in front of me. It was no big deal, she wanted it more, that's all.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    cat72cat72 Oxford, MA Posts: 2,992
    At mansfield 1 I lost my seat entirely because of this. I had a big guy next to me who was rocking out, which is fine, but he kept knocking into me so my bf pulled me in front of him. During the encore I turned to sit for a minute and realize he was now in my seat. I can only assume that someone snuck in and it shifted everyone down. Not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to sit a minute.
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    NiteLite10 wrote:
    Chill... some people definitely take it too far but if you had 3rd row seats and a couple friends who were big fans, wouldn't you want to share the "specialness" of your seats with them? It depends on whether there is enough space and whether people are polite about it of course.

For the record I did not sneak up anyone this tour although I have done it a couple times in the past. I've always kept the friends crammed into my "seat area" and tried to minimize disruption to anyone else. consider sharing the love a little...

I personally think this is rude. In 2003 I could've had front row seats (my TC is 32###) but I chose not too as there were 3 of us travelling from the UK and we all wanted to be together. Yes we could've just got 2 great tix and crammed another in but I've got a concience. We ended up with TM behind the stage and still had a blast.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    noceilingnoceiling Posts: 41
    I have done this before myself. Usually bringing in no more than 2 people. With the seats up 4 people can easily fit into 2.

Being 6'4" I never have trouble seeing the stage.

So keep them coming and share the love.
    Hartford 10/02/96 & 09/13/98
    Pittsburg 8/25/98 & 4/26/03
    Cleveland 8/26/98
    Camden 9/02/00 & 06/19/08 (my birthday!)
    Columbia, MD 9/04/00
    State College 5/03/03
    Reading, PA 10/01/04
    Albany 5/12/06
    Washington DC 5/30/06 & 06/22/08
  • Options
    noceilingnoceiling Posts: 41
    cat72 wrote:
    At mansfield 1 I lost my seat entirely because of this. I had a big guy next to me who was rocking out, which is fine, but he kept knocking into me so my bf pulled me in front of him. During the encore I turned to sit for a minute and realize he was now in my seat. I can only assume that someone snuck in and it shifted everyone down. Not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to sit a minute.

um, ask him to move so you can sit down. is that so hard?
    Hartford 10/02/96 & 09/13/98
    Pittsburg 8/25/98 & 4/26/03
    Cleveland 8/26/98
    Camden 9/02/00 & 06/19/08 (my birthday!)
    Columbia, MD 9/04/00
    State College 5/03/03
    Reading, PA 10/01/04
    Albany 5/12/06
    Washington DC 5/30/06 & 06/22/08
  • Options
    noceiling wrote:
    I have done this before myself. Usually bringing in no more than 2 people. With the seats up 4 people can easily fit into 2.

Being 6'4" I never have trouble seeing the stage.

So keep them coming and share the love.
    Good for you :rolleyes: so you already, through no fault of your own, make it difficult for those beside you to see... so what do you do to make up for it? Make it worse? :eek: Nice!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    NiteLite10 wrote:
    Chill... some people definitely take it too far but if you had 3rd row seats and a couple friends who were big fans, wouldn't you want to share the "specialness" of your seats with them? It depends on whether there is enough space and whether people are polite about it of course.

For the record I did not sneak up anyone this tour although I have done it a couple times in the past. I've always kept the friends crammed into my "seat area" and tried to minimize disruption to anyone else. consider sharing the love a little...

There's barely enough room in "your seat area" for you. Why would you think that anybody would want less room? Asshats who pull that shit off. Good news is they are usually the drunk morons who get elbowed as we dance and bounce our asses off.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    You are a tool. I guess someone put you in charge of everything. Sorry I missed the memo. Asshat.
    LOL.... asshat???

Say what you want.... we had 3 of us in a row where we only had 2 tickets.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    Early on I hated it but my ex-girlfriend was beyond angry when this would happen. She would get security.....I thought it was funny. Sad part early on she wasn't a PJ fan but grew over time. Someone getting between her and MIKE M.......don't stand in her way.

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    Huh? :confused: so you mean these people were decent enough to give up their great seats for PJ fans but wanted them when their act was on? My god, how terrible! :D Just cos it's a co-headling show doesn't mean you have to give a fuck about the other band... OR you can think 'those people want it more'. I was 2nd row at lolla for MMJ... the girl behind me was SERIOUSLY excited, I didn't know any of their music so I let her in front of me. It was no big deal, she wanted it more, that's all.

there were a few open seats, completely open. we didnt even squeeze in.

all i was getting at is that there are times when sneaking some friends in is okay. personally I don't see anything wrong with three people taking up 2 seats. its really only crowded for the three people in that case.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    poto101 wrote:
    there were a few open seats, completely open. we didnt even squeeze in.

all i was getting at is that there are times when sneaking some friends in is okay. personally I don't see anything wrong with three people taking up 2 seats. its really only crowded for the three people in that case.
    AND the people behind them :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    If I get to my seat and there is someone in it I just say, 'this is my seat', they move and its not a problem, as long as I have enought room to bounce around when the music starts its all good. I can't control what people next to me are doing and I don't try to. If I see an open seat up front I move up. If someone comes for it, I move back. (or up more...lol)
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    I like to flail. Violently, but only in my own space as defined by a seat, where the show is seated. If people want to move into my space, I'm not exactly gonna tune down on my flailing. If you get into my space and get hit by my normal course of flailing arms and swinging head and shakin' hips, that's your problem, you don't need to be there with me, and you can solve this by getting back to wherever the fuck you came from.

Now if it's GA, then it's a whole other matter.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    cat72cat72 Oxford, MA Posts: 2,992
    noceiling wrote:
    um, ask him to move so you can sit down. is that so hard?
    what was he going to do stand in front of me, there was no where for him to go...
  • Options
    cat72 wrote:
    what was he going to do stand in front of me, there was no where for him to go...
    back to his seat! No WAY would I let him away with that :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 856
    Cosmo wrote:
    At Irvine Meadows in 2003... I was with a Club Member with a 69,000 number and we were in the second row. These two girls tried to squeeze in front of us... which I probably wouldn't have minded if they asked because they were kinda cute... but, they just kind of tried to take over like they owned the place (something I don't really care for).
    I told them that if they we planning on standing there all night... they would have to allow me to rest my hands on their tits or ass... all night.
    Of course... I get the requesite disgusting look... you know the one... like they just got a giant whiff of cat shit... and split.
    But, you know me... I don't give a shit. And I don't like it when people think they can do whatever they want.

post of the day. ;)
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    ReleaseMe...ReleaseMe... Posts: 494
    i needed a ticket for Mans II. i found numerous people from the board with extra 10c tickets, basically the day of the show. i didnt ask for what their 10c number was, and i took the first person who sent me a message.

the meetup at the ticket window was great, way early, and of course i paid full face value.

a few songs in, he starts bringing his friends in to 'our' seats...up to about 4...and instead of sitting there in beautiful 10c seats smushed to death, i had to give up and walked into the lawn for the entire show. a 5'4'' girl would have been trampled by 5 men in their 40's....i felt i had no other choice. it was a horrible experience.

i wasnt even supposed to stay for night 2, but after how short the show felt on Saturday, i felt i had to come back for the finale. i suppose i could name names, but what good would that do?
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    I think people should stay where it says their seat is. If you want to trade with someone, great, if not, don't bring them down. There is no reason why, for instance, at Mansfield 2 I needed to be crammed into my seat with two of someone else's drunk friends that had lawn seats. Let the people who have their seats enjoy them. You do not have to be close to enjoy a show. The entitlement factor by some people is unreal. No one deserves anything more than anyone else, and they should not feel they have a right to impose their friends on others. There is a reason why it is "reserved seating." I am not a huge rule follower, but I would not feel comfortable bringing a friend down or going down to a friend's seat because I do not think it is right.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,319
    I admit to doing this and sneaking someone into the pit for Camden 2003. I realize now that it was lame and unfair to the other fans in that row.

The most I'll do now is sneak someone into the pavilion and then walk down to my seats. He/she just stands there for a while to find an empty seat in the back, and if he/she can't, they go back to the lawn. They usually can.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    arhoopsarhoops Posts: 110
    @ Mansfield 1 this year I was REALLY PISSED! Two guys, drunk off their asses, just decided to waltz into my row cos there was ONE open seat between me, and the lovely lady next to me. First off, the first guy was huge, and having two of them didn't make for much room for the rest off.

Then they proceeded to act like morons the whole time there were there... and tried putting their arms around me and shit and acting like we were buddies now. I told him to fuck off.

Then they left for a little but came back for the encores.

To top it all off, they tried to pull a stunt that got me, and the other lovely PJ fans around me, pissed. When the lights went up my gf and I were talking about what an incredible night it had been... I then turned to my seat where I had placed my new PJ shopping bag and t-shirt to see they were missing. I looked down the aisle to see the two douche bags trying to get out quick before everyone... I chased them down the aisle and told them to give me my shit back... they tried to play it off like they didn't know it was mine, and said that they asked everyone and no one claimed it... bullshit!

Meanwhile I was happy to notice that most people in my area had taken an interest in this and were ready to help me out if need be.... it wasn't needed tho... they gave me my shit back, I once again told them to fuck off... and that was that...

Seriously... bullshit... only downer of that night.
    i only own my mind- i am mine.

Detroit 2- 2003, Toledo- 2004, Grand Rapids- 2004, Kitchener- 2005, London- 2005, Hamilton- 2005, Toronto 1- 2006, Toronto 2- 2006, Grand Rapids- 2006. Cleveland- 2006, Detroit- 2006, Lollapalooza- 2007, Mansfield 1- 2008
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:
    Boston 2:
    What is up with the idiots that let 2,3, 4 or more people into their row with tix from other people? Must have had 6 people go by me to stand with their friends about 6 seats from me. If they had been next to me it would have been annoyng as hell.....Why don't the idiots with the seats just go up to lawn with all their buddies and not cram 8 people into 3 seats?

Best to just relax and enjoy the show IMO.
  • Options
    wendy wrockswendy wrocks Posts: 135
    pjalli wrote:
    at Beacon last night, right as the set started two guys tried to stand right in front of me and my friend in our row in the orchestra. there's not exactly a lot of room there, and having someone stand in front of me (i'm only 5'2") was just not going to work. so i took out my bberry for light and inspected their tix, and pointed them to their seats. they were pissed! if there were enough room for all of us, i definitely wouldn't have cared, but having a tall dude stand right in front of me all night i didn't think was too cool..

I was in Row FF front row, upper balcony - looked good on paper........
    that's all I'm going to say........
    Honolulu, 2006, Lollapalooza, 2007, WPB, June 11, 2008 (my birthday!!!!!)
    Bonnaroo 2008, MSG June 24, The Beacon July 1, 2008 (Robin Hood Rocks)
    United Palace Theatre August 5, 2008, NJPAC August 7, 2008 (EV Solo)
    Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA June 11, 2009 (My Birthday!), June 12
    The Spectrum Oct 27, 30, 31, 2009
    The Rock, May 18,(Front Row Center), MSG May 20, 21 2010

• Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    This was a problem at DC for me in Section 2, Row X. There were clearly more people standing the row than there were seats. I was basically standing directly in front of the person next to me and couldn't sit down to rest during the encore breaks.

I'm not sure who was responsible but it was definitely lame.

Douchebags...
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    At a recent Iron Maiden concert I allowed two dudes who were squeezed into the row in front of me stand next to me after security made them move. The only reason I did this of course was because they were in the Bandidos biker gang and I just didnt feel like saying no to all 15 of them...lol. They had some quality green so it all worked out great !!
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    NiteLite10 wrote:
    Wow... ok... many bad vibes.

First, they do "share my seat" and don't take others' seats. It does result in a bit of crowding (mostly for me) but very little spill over to other seat areas. If I think we couldn't fit without significantly disrupting others I wouldn't bring anyone else down.

As far as these suggestions of switching for a while.... isn't the other big complaint that people are moving in and out of rows? aren't people going to get annoyed if I leave and then someone else comes back?

I absolutely would not bring someone up because I want to hang out with the person. I bring them up because I think they deserve an "up close" experience because it's so amazing.

If I met you or another fan and we got to talking... and then found out you'd never been close (and probably never would be) ... then, I saw my seats and thought we would fit. I might bring you up. That's how it works for me. The only people I ever brought up close were a PJ fan I had just met at a preparty and my little brother who is a fan. This was also on the last tour before there was a lottery so in my mind they pretty much never would have a chance to be close otherwise.

I agree that there are assholes that do this who are not respectful. It doesn't mean that *everyone* who does this is uncool and will ruin your night. All I'm asking is for some open-mindedness...
    You are still trying to spin it off as some kind of act of kindness and caring. But is it an act of kindness and sharing is it imposes on others? You really know it doesn't bother anyone else because, in most cases, they won't say anything to you about it... right?
    And if you met me and offered me to come down and squeeze into one seat... I'd thank you and respectfully decline. Because it would be selfish of me to infringe on the other.
    As for "... isn't the other big complaint that people are moving in and out of rows? " to cover yourself for not moving back to their seat. Come on... that's a reach. Once out someone else in is not a constant stream of interruptions.
    And it's not like sharing a meatball sandwich with your friend... you know, cut it half... half for me, half for you.
    It would be more like you taking a bite... chewing on it for a while... then spitting into your friend's mouth and him chewing up and swallowing it. Then he takes a bite.. spits it up and you swallow it. That may be okay for the two of you, but it might not work for the people around you.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    NiteLite10 wrote:
    I get the awesome seats already, ... but I get a rush out of being able to provide that experience to someone else once in a while in the right circumstances. (and not to a buddy - to a fellow fan)... and I don't think I necessarily have to give up my own seat to do it. ... just judge the circumstances and be respectful.

What if I bring down a skinny girl who's 5'2"? (and I'm a girl and 5'5") ... she could easily fit in front of me and there's no way it would disrupt anyone but me. Is that ok ... any takers?

I call BULLSHIT!!! ....unless you are both the size of Mini Me you are encroaching on somebody’s space and being an asshole by diminishing their experience. As other people have said give these people you want to help your seat if you really want to be a philanthropist ……and not an asshole!!! :)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10