Who Loves Dr Pepper?

Comments

• bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I love all 23 flavours of that beautiful soda pop!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    [quote="Music For Rhinos
    you're from texas so...do you drink the sugar cane version?

if it's so great why don't they sell it in more places than just texas?[/quote]
    Independent bottler made a decision to use cane sugar instead of corn syrup.....I suspect that somewhere near Dublin one would find sugar cane being grown.

The corn lobby is also powerful on a national scale
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    Independent bottler made a decision to use cane sugar instead of corn syrup.....I suspect that somewhere near Dublin one would find sugar cane being grown.

So it's an independent bottler not affiliated with Dr Pepper? How do they have permission to bottle and sell the sugar cane version and use Dr Pepper's name?

And if they are affiliated, why doesn't the company make the decision to distribute and sell it elsewhere? They could if they really wanted to. Everyone raves about how great it is...they'd probably sell a lot of it on a national scale...
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i'm a pepper.
    tybird wrote:

So it's an independent bottler not affiliated with Dr Pepper? How do they have permission to bottle and sell the sugar cane version and use Dr Pepper's name?

And if they are affiliated, why doesn't the company make the decision to distribute and sell it elsewhere? They could if they really wanted to. Everyone raves about how great it is...they'd probably sell a lot of it on a national scale...
    Probably affiliated.....there are several independent bottlers for Coke, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper...our local Pepsi bottler is actually an independent....sometimes they opt out of carrying the entire Pepsi line. Independent just means that Pepsi or Dr. Pepper or Coke does not own the operation, and you are licensed to produce and distribute the product.

The corn lobby is strong enough to get congress to invest in corn as the alternate fuel source, imagine what pressure they bring to bear on soft drink company.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    it's my favorite!! which makes me sad that i decided to stop drinking soda :( looks like i'll have to get my fix from dr. pepper lip balm and jelly beans :mrgreen:
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I love Dr.Pepper and not that fake diet stuff either. I have at least three cans a day...I have too...it's my coffee in the morning! :mrgreen:

you're from texas so...do you drink the sugar cane version?

No, I just get the regular 24 pk from the store....I have had that particular one and it is good, but I prefer the regular one! I'm a pepper as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQPN3UKQM-U
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    bovy_j wrote:
    I love all 23 flavours of that beautiful soda pop!

23 flavours?
  • tybird wrote:
    The corn lobby is strong enough to get congress to invest in corn as the alternate fuel source, imagine what pressure they bring to bear on soft drink company.

hmm. i don't understand. what does the corn lobby have to do with soft drink companies?
    iamsam_pj wrote:
    it's my favorite!! which makes me sad that i decided to stop drinking soda :( looks like i'll have to get my fix from dr. pepper lip balm and jelly beans :mrgreen:

maybe you can make an exception for the wondrous amazement that is dr pepper. ;)
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    tybird wrote:

hmm. i don't understand. what does the corn lobby have to do with soft drink companies?
    iamsam_pj wrote:

maybe you can make an exception for the wondrous amazement that is dr pepper. ;)

I don't know if your kidding about corn or not, but just about every soda made in the U.S. uses corn syrup, actually I read somewhere that Dr. Pepper was pretty much the last large soda company to switch to corn syrup. The other thing I like about living in Texas is that it is so close to Mexico that it's pretty easy to go to stores or restaurants and buy Cokes and other sodas that are made in Mexico that do not use corn syrup.

Hey in-hiding79, where in Texas do you live, I'm in Austin.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i like my dr. pepper with kettle one
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,382
    Can anyone find the Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper?

I live in Michigan and can't find it ANYWHERE. And I have looked all over. Do they not make it anymore or something?

I looked in 2 stores this weekend and no-go. I'm not sure if they discontinued it or what.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I will look for Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper when I go to the store today.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Travelar wrote:
    Can anyone find the Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper?

I live in Michigan and can't find it ANYWHERE. And I have looked all over. Do they not make it anymore or something?

I looked in 2 stores this weekend and no-go. I'm not sure if they discontinued it or what.

they sell it here. i just bought some for my wife--she loves that stuff! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Cob wrote:

I don't know if your kidding about corn or not, but just about every soda made in the U.S. uses corn syrup, actually I read somewhere that Dr. Pepper was pretty much the last large soda company to switch to corn syrup. The other thing I like about living in Texas is that it is so close to Mexico that it's pretty easy to go to stores or restaurants and buy Cokes and other sodas that are made in Mexico that do not use corn syrup

nope, not kidding. was thinking of corn on the cob and didn't make the connection. i see it now. i know they pretty much all use high fructose corn syrup.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Flagg wrote:
    Just backing up everyone's opinion on Dublin Dr. Pepper. I once drove all the way there just to buy some and take the tour. Order it online from time to time. Beliveve me, there is no comparison to the stuff they sell now with corn syrup.

if it's so great why don't they sell it in more places than just texas?

Because the place that makes it is tiny. And it is more expensive than the regular version.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read through the whole thread and realize everyone else pretty much answered you.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Dr. is my favorite soft drink!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Hate to be a stickler, but there's actually no period after Dr in Dr Pepper. I say this because a lot of you have used the period after Dr in this thread.

On the official logo and in all instances where it's referenced (look on wikipedia for example, search Dr Pepper...or look on the official site...) you will see. I read somewhere the company removed the period specifically with the intentions of getting away from the medical connotation.

Edit: Just read wikipedia page, it's right on there.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I enjoyed my free Dr. Pepper from Axl Rose. Never tasted a better soda than that one.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    yesterday in "Food Lion" (that's a grocery store in a small town near me) I saw diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper in two places throughout the store.

Not regular cherry vanilla DR pepper, only diet.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    yesterday in "Food Lion" (that's a grocery store in a small town near me) I saw diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper in two places throughout the store.

Not regular cherry vanilla DR pepper, only diet.

what state you in?
  • UPDATE!

I just ordered a 24 pack of the 12 oz cans of the cane sugar Dr Pepper from Old Doc's Soda Shop!

And...ordered some Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper from ebay!

Can't wait to try this stuff...all you Texans are fucking lucky...it's all readily available for you.

Also I saw on ebay straight up Cherry Dr Pepper...how's that?
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I just finished my fourth Dr Pepper of the day and my it was tasty! :P
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,382

It's a new flavor as of February 2009 (I think). I have not yet seen it my stores, but I'm hopeful that I'll get to give a taste.
    Travelar wrote:

It's a new flavor as of February 2009 (I think). I have not yet seen it my stores, but I'm hopeful that I'll get to give a taste.
    Found it in the stores last week.....it gets my seal of approval. :twisted:
  • *Update*

The imperial cane sugar Dr Pepper from Old Doc's Soda Shop in Texas arrived here today!

I am having some right now. It is really good. I hate to compare it to regular Dr Pepper because they're both good. I can't really say I like one better than the other. The only thing I have to decide is whether or not I'm gonna keep ordering more once I run out. Think I will probably order it again but not extremely often 'cuz it would be impractical when I can get some here (albeit a slightly different kind) so easily.
  • bump for Dr Pepper....it's just so damn good I could marry it.
    UPDATE!

Can't wait to try this stuff...all you Texans are fucking lucky...it's all readily available for you.

i doubt that lucky is the right word. 8-)
    Hate to be a stickler, but there's actually no period after Dr in Dr Pepper. I say this because a lot of you have used the period after Dr in this thread.

On the official logo and in all instances where it's referenced (look on wikipedia for example, search Dr Pepper...or look on the official site...) you will see. I read somewhere the company removed the period specifically with the intentions of getting away from the medical connotation.

Edit: Just read wikipedia page, it's right on there.

wow, man. i think you need to quit your job & work for Dr. Pepper. lighten up!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    i doubt that lucky is the right word. 8-)

okay, what's the right word?

mfc2006 wrote:
    wow, man. i think you need to quit your job & work for Dr. Pepper. lighten up!

ha, and you still typed it wrong.

that's okay, i don't take anything personally. i'm comfortable with who i am.

having said that, working for Dr Pepper would be cool if the money was good. :D
    i don't know what the right word is! :D we like it here, but we are anxious to finish school & move!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com