A Rod

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    coincidence that this story surfaced just a few days after torre's book hit the shelves?
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    God, ESPN is all over this. They so like to speculate over everything. I can hear the ESPN higher ups getting wood when things like A-Rod and Phelps break
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,782
    the lady who reported the story is writing a book about A-Rod that's coming out this year.
    I miss igotid88
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    smithnic wrote:
    I can hear the ESPN higher ups getting wood when things like A-Rod and Phelps break

Yeah! They need to cut Phelps a little slack! :lol::lol::lol::lol:>>>>>>>>>>>
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    imalive wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:

I'm a Yankee fan...always have been

A-Rod just doesn't get it

Not hating here, crojam, but I'm sure A-Rod is not the only pinstripper who was/is using. I'm bitter because Selig ("I knew nothing") and the Feds want to make Bonds the scapegoat for the whole fucking mess.

For the record, Arod was a Ranger when these tests were taken ... but, yeah ... the owners and MLB mgmt is complicit in all this.

metsfan wrote:
    you use steriods, you use steriods

Guess he really is A-FRAUD

sox and mets fans are gonna have fun with A-FRAUD this season, haha

Actually, I think folks are going to go with A-Roid ... his first trip to Fenway is going to be interesting. Hell, his first AB in Yankee stadium will be intersting.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    jimed14 wrote:

Actually, I think folks are going to go with A-Roid ... his first trip to Fenway is going to be interesting. Hell, his first AB in Yankee stadium will be intersting.
    they will cheer when steps into the batters box then boo when he grounds into a DP or strikes out. a-roids, i like that.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• As a life long Yankee fan, I have been telling all my buddies that A-ROD was a guy who was clean. Now this shit comes out!!! Everybody back then was on the juice and I would say there is still a good majority of the league is doing HGH now. I think A-ROD needs to man up and admit he did it and try to put this behind him as soon as possible. It will never completely go away but look at Giambi and Pettitte. They owned up to it and you don't hear much from them anymore.

I also afraid that he doesn't seem that tough skined to handle the type of scrutiny he is going to receive. The Yankee fans are going to give him shit. Wait until he reaches cites like Boston, they are going to be ruthless!!!
    I think A-ROD needs to man up and admit he did it and try to put this behind him as soon as possible. It will never completely go away but look at Giambi and Pettitte. They owned up to it and you don't hear much from them anymore.

If he does "admit" it, it will probably be the standard "I did it for a very short time to try to recover from an injury and I haven't done it since" BULLSHIT. :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    I think A-ROD needs to man up and admit he did it and try to put this behind him as soon as possible. It will never completely go away but look at Giambi and Pettitte. They owned up to it and you don't hear much from them anymore.

If he does "admit" it, it will probably be the standard "I did it for a very short time to try to recover from an injury and I haven't done it since" BULLSHIT. :roll:

I agree totally or the "I tried it once and didn't like it so I stopped"
  • OR, "I unknowingly took them"
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    imalive wrote:
    hank aaron
    willie mays
    babe ruth
    mickey mantle
    ernie banks

can you imagine these guys on steroids??????? the numbers they would have put up????

Hank - greenies
    Willie - greenies
    Babe - booze and broads
    Mickey - booze, greenies and god knows what else
    Ernie - ????

I get your point, put all the eras were different. These days, a hitter probably sees three pitchers a game...starters, situational pitchers, set-up guys, nasty closers (some/most as juiced as the hitters). In Babe's case, he played in a "whites only" time. It's never been easy to hit a baseball.... A-Rod (and it truly pains me to say this) is a great player....he would have been great in the 60s, too. Willie would still be great these days, although he might have had to get on the 'roids to compete :shock: . It is what it is.

Football? Same thing.

Babe Ruth also lost a couple hundred home runs from his career totals because of rule changes and not having modern medicine. He hurt his knee early in his career and would have received routine surgery now in the offseason instead of hobbling around in the later years of his career.

Plus back then if a ball hooked around the foul pole in fair territory and landed foul like many of David Ortiz's homers, it was ruled a foul ball. It was only a home run if the ball landed between the poles. Also back then if you hit a walk off homer, it didn't count as a homer unless the batter's run was the go ahead run. And that doesn't even take into account the much smaller parks nowadays. Ruth probably should have finished with well over 900 home runs.

This book was a fascinating read:

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Babe-Ruth-Ho ... 651&sr=8-2
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Wow, and considering by the time he's done he'll own the good majority of batting records only to have a " * " next to his name like so many others.

I hope to god these f'ers never get into the HOF.

If its as widespread as we all think it is...its gonna be hard to keep em all out

This is just another notch on Jose Canseco's belt...damn that dude was right about everything

I have to say this I respect Jose Canseco more these days for being up front with his steriod use. Yes it was wrong but at the very least he came forward with what he did and made some money in the mean time.

Now A-Fraud-roid along with Clemons and Bonds and others all steadfastly denied using steriods however it appears to be quite differently now.

Glad A-FRAUD-ROID is playing for the Yankees instead of the Sox he would have been a total embarassment for the team.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    g under p wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Wow, and considering by the time he's done he'll own the good majority of batting records only to have a " * " next to his name like so many others.

I hope to god these f'ers never get into the HOF.

If its as widespread as we all think it is...its gonna be hard to keep em all out

This is just another notch on Jose Canseco's belt...damn that dude was right about everything

I have to say this I respect Jose Canseco more these days for being up front with his steriod use. Yes it was wrong but at the very least he came forward with what he did and made some money in the mean time.

Now A-Fraud-roid along with Clemons and Bonds and others all steadfastly denied using steriods however it appears to be quite differently now.

Glad A-FRAUD-ROID is playing for the Yankees instead of the Sox he would have been a total embarassment for the team.

Peace

BUT...The ONLY reason he was upfront was to make some money off of it. He had a beef with baseball and everyone he felt wronged him, so THAT is why he wrote the book. Not sure that is being up front about steriod use in my eyes. He had everything to gain, while everyone else is losing...Right wrong or indifferent, I see them all in the same light...F-ING cheaters who didnt have the stones to do it the right way like it was intended...imho...:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    BUT...The ONLY reason he was upfront was to make some money off of it. He had a beef with baseball and everyone he felt wronged him, so THAT is why he wrote the book. Not sure that is being up front about steriod use in my eyes. He had everything to gain, while everyone else is losing...Right wrong or indifferent, I see them all in the same light...F-ING cheaters who didnt have the stones to do it the right way like it was intended...imho...:)

For these ballers it's a dog eat dog world out there and these players want to use every advantage to get ahead of the next guy. Even if that means cheating with illegal drugs just for a chance at larger amounts of money. Same goes for players with the talent level of A-Rod and others.

We shall see how well he can play with the mounting pressure of Roids hanging over his and others head.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    g under p wrote:

For these ballers it's a dog eat dog world out there and these players want to use every advantage to get ahead of the next guy. Even if that means cheating with illegal drugs just for a chance at larger amounts of money. Same goes for players with the talent level of A-Rod and others.

We shall see how well he can play with the mounting pressure of Roids hanging over his and others head.

Peace

While I agree it is a dog eat dog world, there are PLENTY of guys who are doing it clean that are good. The problem I have is integrity. There are very few that seem to have it. I dont care about the pressure and all that comes with it. Sack up, be a man and do the BEST YOU CAN. If that isnt good enough, then fuckem, but as a fan, it is good enough for me! I for one hope it comes out that Arod did them and he falls flat on his face. ps...in no way is my little rant directed at you...I am just sayin!! haha I am a purist, and this shit tears me up, I love this game and I hate to see what has happened to it...
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    edited February 2009
    Solat13 wrote:

Babe Ruth also lost a couple hundred home runs from his career totals because of rule changes and not having modern medicine. He hurt his knee early in his career and would have received routine surgery now in the offseason instead of hobbling around in the later years of his career.

Great point. That's why I think we shouldn't even try to compare eras. Babe had advantages and disadvantages....just like everyone else we've considered a superstar.
    g under p wrote:

Yes it would have been.........but that doesn't mean your Sox don't have/haven't had juicers. It only stands to reason....and that's what drives me crazy....you're golden, one day (A-Rod) and then shit when the truth comes out. Someday, a juicer will get into the HOF....only because he was never found out. Pudge, maybe? Anyway, I would love to see however it is, finally man up and say "guess what? I wasn't clean. You voters are not only clueless, you stood by, jock sniffing, while all this went on."

I don't see the Red Sox as a juice team....but, off the top of my head, I think you have to look hard at anyone who has played for the Astros, Rangers, Mariners, Giants, Angels, Orioles, Braves, Cubs, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, A's, Padres, Cardinals and Blue Jays....those teams (and no doubt more) have had a steroid culture during at least some point in the past 20 years :shock:. And the others (Reds, Pirates, Royals, etc.) have probably just flown under the radar, due to being crappy teams in smaller markets.
    Post edited by Wobbie on

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

While I agree it is a dog eat dog world, there are PLENTY of guys who are doing it clean that are good.

Oh, tradeking..... so naive. :cry::mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

Great point. That's why I think we shouldn't even try to compare eras. Babe had advantages and disadvantages....just like everyone else we've considered a superstar.
    g under p wrote:

Yes it would have been.........but that doesn't mean your Sox don't have/haven't had juicers. It only stands to reason....and that's what drives me crazy....you're golden, one day (A-Rod) and then shit when the truth comes out. Someday, a juicer will get into the HOF....only because he was never found out. Pudge, maybe? Anyway, I would love to see however it is, finally man up and say "guess what? I wasn't clean. You voters are not only clueless, you stood by, jock sniffing, while all this went on."

I don't see the Red Sox as a juice team....but, off the top of my head, I think you have to look hard at anyone who has played for the Astros, Rangers, Mariners, Giants, Angels, Braves, Cubs, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, A's, Padres, Cardinals and Blue Jays....those teams (and no doubt more) have had a steroid culture during at least some point in the past 20 years :shock:. And the others (Reds, Pirates, Royals, etc.) have probably just flown under the radar, due to being crappy teams in smaller markets.

How could you not see the Red Sox as a juice team?
    I miss igotid88
    Why does everyone want him to say he did it? He doesn't have to do anything. Those records were supposed to be anonymous and sealed. Unless the rest of the names are released. He could deny. Although if those other name are released. Then he'll go through the same thing Roger is going through.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:

I just don't...not a fan, so I don't really follow their players....and the team, as a whole, has probably been lucky so far.

But as I said, it would be oh-so-naive to not think some current or past Sox have not benefited from PEDs.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

g under p wrote:

I don't see the Red Sox as a juice team....but, off the top of my head, I think you have to look hard at anyone who has played for the Astros, Rangers, Mariners, Giants, Angels, Orioles, Braves, Cubs, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, A's, Padres, Cardinals and Blue Jays....those teams (and no doubt more) have had a steroid culture during at least some point in the past 20 years :shock:. And the others (Reds, Pirates, Royals, etc.) have probably just flown under the radar, due to being crappy teams in smaller markets.

I'm pretty sure there has been Sox players who used roids and probably some right now. At this time it is not known yet and if that comes to light I would be embarassed to STILL have that player on the team.

There isn't a team in MLB that was free of steriods, from the major stars to the player in the minor leagues trying to get to the majors. IMO.

Peace

• g under p wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

g under p wrote:

I'm pretty sure there has been Sox players who used roids and probably some right now. At this time it is not known yet and if that comes to light I would be embarassed to STILL have that player on the team.

There isn't a team in MLB that was free of steriods, from the major stars to the player in the minor leagues trying to get to the majors. IMO.

Peace
    good point man. juicing as of 2/7/09 is mostly clean. i think the mlb should just forget about anyone that did steroids because there was obviously way too much of it going on. which means, forget people doing steroids in 2003, leave barry alone, vote mcgwire in, and give canseco some dignity back. ....again, this is just my opinion. this wont be looked back on as being a good era in the greatest sport in the world.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    A rod tested postitive fior hgh in 2003??????????

HGH a drug? Whats an A Rod?

Pardon my lack of knowledge
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    good point man. juicing as of 2/7/09 is mostly clean. i think the mlb should just forget about anyone that did steroids because there was obviously way too much of it going on. which means, forget people doing steroids in 2003, leave barry alone, vote mcgwire in, and give canseco some dignity back. ....again, this is just my opinion. this wont be looked back on as being a good era in the greatest sport in the world.

Agree with most of what you say except..........................the chemists are always going to be ahead of the drug police. WADA had no idea what Balco was doing until Trevor Graham (?) mailed them a used syringe.

IMHO, this train has long since left the station.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    metsfan wrote:
    you use steriods, you use steriods

Guess he really is A-FRAUD

sox and mets fans are gonna have fun with A-FRAUD this season, haha
    My guess... I'm gonna go with the Sox and Mets fans going with the 'A-ROID' chant to the tune of the 'DAR-RYL' Chant.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • and i still say....

who ever it was who was supplying the steroids to sammy sosa....

has to be one stand up guy...(as far as drug dealers are concerned)

because its been 10 years since sammy hit 60 homers for the 1st time(he is the only guy to hit 60 homers in three seasons).......

and sammys name never comes up.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    DonJon wrote:
    A rod tested postitive fior hgh in 2003??????????

HGH a drug? Whats an A Rod?

Pardon my lack of knowledge

Nevermind....I worked out the A Rod part of it
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    igotid88 wrote:

I'm a Red Sox fan and they have had their incidents:

The feature story in one ESPN the Magazine a couple years ago was about top Sox pitching prospect from 2000 and 2001 Paxton Crawford and how he used steroids and HGH and how it was easy to come about in the Sox clubhouse:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... mes_1.html

And you had the Manny Alexander story:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/LOCAL/nort ... .steroids/

and plus Canseco was on the Sox in 95 and 96 so who knows what was happening then.

I think most of the current Sox are clean, but in the late 90's / early part of this decade steroids were in the Sox clubhouse.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    given the magnitude of steroids in the game today, it would be very ignorant and naive of a fan of ANY team to deny that there are steroids in their clubhouse. you have a roster of what, 25 players? i can guarantee that 6-10 of those players are taking them or have taken them at some point in their career.

i personally thought a-rod was clean. and as a yankee fan, no matter how big of a dope he is with his personal life and what not, i always thought in the back of my head... at least he is not taking steroids, at least he is not taking steroids.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Clemens was on the Sox.

There is NO team 100% clean.

Go Sox!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive