Your hometown's claim to fame

Comments

• Melbourne = Sports Capital of Australia...possibly the world!

We host all the major sporting events!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Melbourne = Sports Capital of Australia...possibly the world!

football world cups????? ;)

Melbourne does have an awful lot of good sporting stuff though... do Sydneyites get miffed?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    We've got the preserved head of St Oliver Plunkett....yes we own a saints head...and its on display for all to see.....beat that 8-)
    I need a coffee!
  • dunkman wrote:

Melbourne does have an awful lot of good sporting stuff though... do Sydneyites get miffed?

Yes, we fail in the football but we are bidding to host the WC.

Yes Sydneysiders get jealous all the time, I hate Sydney, Sydney people have big heads, their claim to fame is their harbour, nothing else. :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Steven Spielberg grew up in Haddon Township area..he saw his first movie at the theatre on Haddon Avenue. The rest is history
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • milarso wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

Um...those aren't from Tacoma.
    Umm, some of them are. But, I consider the entire Puget Sound region my "hometown."

Well if that's how we're playing it, I call the automobile.
    You're welcome. :lol:[/quote]
    And if that's how we're playing I call Rock N Roll.....it's all thanks to Mizzip
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Nuneaton - My birthplace.

George Eliot - Victorian novelist who wrote Silas Marner, Mill on The Floss and Middlemarch.
    Larry Grayson - Gay comedian and gameshow host in the '70s. He was also, coincidentally, a friend of my Grandma. Famous for catch phrases such as "Shut that door!", "Seems like a nice boy" and "What a gay day!".
    A.J. Quinnell - Author of Man on Fire.
    Lisa Lashes - DJ and Producer of Hard core dance music.

Coventry - Where I live now.

Lady Godiva - Famously rode a horse around the city all nekkid and stuffs.
    Peeping Tom - Looked at Lady Godiva's bazookas.
    Sir Frank Whittle - Invented the jet engine :geek:
    Sir Nigel Hawthorne - Thespian
    Clive Owen - Actor... Yes, THAT Clive Owen 8-)
    Pete Waterman OBE - Record Producer - worth over 30 Million apparently...
    The Specials - Two Tone Ska group... Sang that 'Ghost Town' song ;)
    The Selector - Another bloody ska band.
    The Enemy - Indie group - Popular with today's angry youths.
    Lee Dorrian - Former Member of metal bands Napalm Death, Cathedral and Bolt Thrower :mrgreen:
    Neil Back and Danny Grewcock - England rugby world cup winners (You can stop laughing at his surname now.)

:ugeek:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Tarrytown,NY....Rockerfellers....Bruce Jenner....Washington Irving author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,Rip Van Winkle.....and the infamous Unification Church aka the Moonies
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Ridgewood, NJ
    In the early 80s we were in time magazine becaus of all the teenage suicides.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Commy wrote:
    Fort Worth, Texas--established as an Army outpost in the 1840s. The Chisholm Cattle Trail went through Ft. Worth in the 19th century and helped give it its nickname of Cowtown. Ft. Worth is known for promoting its western heritage, its street festivals, and (believe it or not) its exceptional art museums.

Famous natives include Ginger Rogers, Bill Paxton, T-Bone Burnett, and this guy:

http://www.1secondad.com/
    bill paxton> really? I played golf last summer and the "pacman" aka bill paxton's brother was mowing the fairways. he can yell 2 fairways across...."dude, did you see my brother's new movie?!"
    Yeah, supposedly he visits a lot.

I forgot to add that "Walker Texas Ranger" used to be filmed here if you could manage to sit through an episode to watch for local landmarks. :roll:
    Ouch! Where was my brain?! :oops:
    The Toadies are from Fort Worth and the so was the late, great Townes Van Zandt.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mertmert Posts: 167
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada:

First capital of Canada (before Canada was Canada)
    Disputed, but claims to be the birthplace of hockey
    Where Lake Ontario and St Lawrence River join
    Hometown of the Tragically Hip - 4/5 of the band still live in/near K-Town
    Hometown of hockey personality Don Cherry
    Hometown of many hockey players; my personal highlights are Kirk Muller and Doug Gilmour
    Hometown of Hugh Dillon and The Headstones
    Birthplace of Bryan Adams
    Summer hometown of Dan Aykroyd

and many more, but it's after midnight and my brain is shutting off. :)
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    dunkman wrote:

1. We don't really care about Aussie rules football.
    2. Formula 1 racing is stupid. Setting aside the fact that it's a huge waste of petrol, Formula 1 in general is soooooo predictable.
    3. They have an annual cricket international on Boxing day. Big deal.
    4. Tennis? I'd rather watch synchronised swimming.

Sportswise, the one thing Melbourne has got going for it over Sydney is having a full public holiday for a horse race. The one participatory sport/leisure activity that matters in Australia is going to the beach, and Melbourne is the pits.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Cosmo wrote:
    Sorry... but, I call 'Shennanigins'. Because if that's the case, I can call all of Southern California my hometown and claim:
    American Surf culture, The Doors, Van Halen, The Apollo Program, X, Social Distortion, The Movie Industry, The Space Shuttle, All Year Sunshine, Skateboarding and the hometown of Tiger Woods.
    And that ain't right.

Exactly!! That's totally cheating!! San Diego doesn't equal So Cal!! Therefore, Tacoma doesn't equal the entire Puget Sound. Hometown doesn't equal region. Sorry.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    Home to Merion Golf Club one of the world's 10 best golf courses. Is hosting the US Open in 2012 (last time hosted it in 1981).

High school of Julie Gold who wrote 'From a Distance' for Bette Midler, Michael Sembello who wrote and sang 'Maniac' from Flashdance, and Randy Grossman who won multiple Super Bowls as tight end for the mid 70s Pittsburgh Steelers. Currently Barack Obama's head secret service agent is from the area as well. Also one time home of the disgraced NBA ref Tim Donaghy and his co-horts in the gambling ring.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    Home to Merion Golf Club one of the world's 10 best golf courses. Is hosting the US Open in 2012 (last time hosted it in 1981).

High school of Julie Gold who wrote 'From a Distance' for Bette Midler, Michael Sembello who wrote and sang 'Maniac' from Flashdance, and Randy Grossman who won multiple Super Bowls as tight end for the mid 70s Pittsburgh Steelers. Currently Barack Obama's head secret service agent is from the area as well. Also one time home of the disgraced NBA ref Tim Donaghy and his co-horts in the gambling ring.
    howdy neighbor.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Erm...well we have a Potato Festival...no joke. That's all. Yay for Alliston, ON.

Which is why I moved to Ottawa. :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Park Ridge, IL....where I grew up just outside Chicago....Hillary Clinton grew up there and graduated from my high school.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i grew up in Plant City, Florida...the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World.
  • Michael Moore claims he's from Flint...actually, he grew up in Davidson. :)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Where is PBM with his "quilt capital of the world"??? Probably digging out of the snow, I suppose.

Alas, I no longer live there...and Flint, MI is my actual hometown...a fact I try to keep quiet.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Miami

The beaches.

Nuff said.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    I tried to get in my back door tonight and a fucking moose the size of a fucking moose was in my backyard. scared the shit out of me. yeah its a moose, but those fuckers are huge. that's my claim to fame.

and vigo mortenson lives here. and ben stein. and mark fuhrman. and a few others. small town so we kind of notice the celebrities.

and sarah palin was born here.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    It is where New York State was formed and was the first Capital. It was burned to the ground by the British on October 16, 1777.

The Sidewalks of New York were made here... really.

It it is the only place in the USA that has an intersection with the original Stone buildings on all four corners from the 18th century. :ugeek:
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Lynn, MA

Lots of fires.
  • Abingdon, Illinois -- home to Big Daddy Totem Pole, the tallest totem pole East of the Mississippi River. I suspect that, since totem poles were not erected by Native Americans of the Midwest, it might also be the only one East of the Mississippi River. :roll: :lol: It was commissioned by the town in an effort to invite tourism and revive the town square. They chose this over building a swimming pool. And this is why I never learned to swim. :cry:

It is also the home of former POW, Vice Admiral James Stockdale. Not only did he receive the honor of being Ross Perot's running mate in the 1992 presidential election, he also earned the distinct privilege of having my high school auditorium named after him.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Richard Nixon graduated from college here "Whittier College Poets"

and right now we are (not)proud to say that OCTO-MOM is one of our own (bitch lives about 2 miles from me).

oh yeah, the band COLD WAR KIDS are from around these part too.......
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Ughhh.....Home of the Redneck Games. Yep......that's right. Home of the Redneck Games.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK - Liz Hurley.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Bangor, Maine.
    Home of Stephen King
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    Lake Worth, FL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Charles Whitman...my gran said that Charles's father fixed the plumbing in her house,and talked about him and the incident.
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"