Your hometown's claim to fame

ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
(Especially for all of us small town people...)

My hometown, Eau Claire, Wisconsin is...
-- The hometown of Bon Iver (every big band is somebody's hometown jam band..)
-- Buddy Holly played one of his last shows here (what made me think of this topic)
-- Hometown of the Menards family of NASCAR and hardware store fame
-- Hank Aaron played here during his first professional baseball season (and lived in my landlord's old house down the street from where I live)
-- Joe Torre also played and managed the same team (The Eau Claire Bears)
-- Hometown of advice columists "Dear Abby" and "Ann Landers"
-- Kato Kaelin from the OJ Simpson trial went to school here...and Charles Manson's girlfriend Mary Brunner lived here.

Alright...let's see some hometown pride!!!
PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tuckerton, NJ was the 3rd port of entry for the United States. And, was originally called Clamtown.

(so there!)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Probably our most famous is the annual Ski to Sea race. People do come from all over the world to compete. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellingham,_Washington
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Boothwyn, Pa.
    nothing's ever happened there except these people graduated from my high school (Chichester High school):

-Ron Bennington, co-host of The Ron and Fez Show on XM 202
    -Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson, NFL player for the Houston Oilers and Atlanta Falcons
    -Dan McKeown (class of 1972), Award winning producer who's credited for producing such artist as Billy Paul, The Trammps, Frankie Double Dutch Bus Smith, The Emeralds and Hit The Ground Runnin Philadelphia, PA
    -John Mobley (class of 1991), NFL linebacker for the Denver Broncos, 1996–2003
    -Aaron Proctor, former pro-wrestling promoter, blogger and Mayoral candidate in Pasadena, California
    -Kenneth Keith Kallenbach, member of Howard Stern's Wack Pack (graduated Chichester in the early 80's)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Brantford, Ontario (The Telephone City)

Home of

- Wayne Gretzky
    - Alexander Graham Bell
    - Phil Hartman
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • http://www.discovergreendale.com/

Greendale is one of only three “Greenbelt Communities" in the United States built by the Franklin Roosevelt Administration in 1936.

Jane Kaczmarek aka Malcolm in the Middle Mom is from Greendale. She is spotted every summer in the downtown area of Greendale with her family.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    OK, everyone knows Dallas so I will do the city I live in now, McKinney - just north of Dallas.

- The U.S. Census Bureau ranked McKinney the fastest growing city in America twice in recent years, first for cities under 100,000, then for cities over 100,000. McKinney's population increased 97.6 percent between 2000 and 2006.
    - One of, if not the, oldest authentic downtowns in Texas.
    - McKinney has been named a Tree City USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation.
    - Over the last several years McKinney has gained national media attention for the multiple LEED and sustainable (Green) buildings that have been constructed within the city. McKinney is home of the first privately developed LEED Platinum office building, which was speculatively developed by Westworld Holdings, as well as Roy Lee Walker Elementary, the first sustainable school in Texas. Pat Lobb Toyota (designed by Gensler) is the first LEED certified Automotive Dealership (Silver Rating), and has become the hallmark for the greening of automotive dealerships, receiving visitors from around the world.

Additionally, one of the two experimental sustainable Wal-Mart stores is in McKinney (Wal-Mart did not pursue LEED status). The facility has been designed to test and promote a number of sustainable design elements and concepts, including photovoltaic arrays, rainwater harvesting, a waste-oil heating system, and two wind turbines of 50 kW and 1 kW nameplate capacity from Bergey Windpower.

- The Lifetime film, Fab Five: The Texas Cheerleader Scandal is based on true events that happened at McKinney North.

- Notable residents aren't many but include 2004 British Open winner Todd Hamilton. Dennis Rodman's mother lives a few streets over from me.

-
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    Not my hometown but where we live now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collinsville,_Illinois
    Says Michael Stipe went to school here, hmm learn something new every day.
    I think we are most known for this tho
    Collinsville is also home of "the world's largest catsup bottle", a 170 foot tall water tower in the shape of a ketchup bottle. :lol:
    I am pretty excited about this
    Collinsville is the self-proclaimed "Horseradish Capital of the World", including an annual Horseradish Fest. The city and surrounding area are said to produce 85% of the world's horseradish, of such high quality that it's actually exported to Germany and China (key users of the herb) for gourmet use.
    I am So going to the festival this year, I love horseradish!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Staunton, Virginia.

Home of the Statler Brothers. Nuff said.

Oh, yeah. Woodrow Wilson was born there, too.
  • Former NL Cy Young Steve Bedrosian grew up in Methuen, MA and played for our high school team.. dominates th record books :P

Susie Castillo, Miss USA 2003, also grew up here.

Robert Frost resided here along with many other towns.

Methuen Memorial Music Hall was built specifically to house the Great Organ, built originally by Walcker Orgelbau for the Boston Music Hall, and procured by philanthropist and city benefactor Edward Francis Searles more than a century ago. The organ case, which in approximate terms is as large as a typical house, is ornate, and features a bust of J.S. Bach as a central ornament.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10

• Robert Frost resided here along with many other towns.
    that's pretty awesome!
  • Portland Oregon:

-When the city was first settled, there was a coin toss to name the city. One side of the Coin was Portland, the other side was Boston. Luckily it landed on the Portland side ;)

- The "Greenest" city in the US.

- City Nicknames - Rose City, Stumptown, PDX, Rip City, Bridgetown, and Little Beirut.

- Home for many popular indie bands - Elliott Smith, The Shins, Modest Mouse, Decemberists, Menomena, . . . .

- Largest independent Bookstore in the US.

- Many Simpsons characters are named after streets in Downtown.
    NERDS!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    wolfbear wrote:
    Probably our most famous is the annual Ski to Sea race. People do come from all over the world to compete. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellingham,_Washington

I do believe Death Cab for Cutie call Bellingham, WA their home. That's a pretty significant one.

as for me ... raised in Chelmsford, MA ... well, many of the backround buildings you see on the Simpsons, well, they are based on buildings in Chelmsford ... see for yourself ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVO2syltHvI

... and in 2007, it was ranked #21 on Money Magazines best places to live in the US ...

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag ... 13135.html
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • where i went to high school...lake butler, florida

-our football team may still hold the longest winning streak in the state. the guys i graduated with only lost one game their entire 4 years, and then we lost the next year in the state championship game. one of the guys, gerard warren, went on to play in the nfl after graduating from florida.

-we're located in the smallest county in the state.

-there are at least 4 prisons in the county, including florida state pen. though death row is located in the next county/town. it's still only 5 miles away from my parents house...kinda creepy!

that's about it...it's a small town and nothing ever happens, which is why i left after i graduated!!
  • iamsam_pj wrote:

that's about it...it's a small town and nothing ever happens, which is why i left after i graduated!!
    haha! that's the way I feel about my hometown. I'll do whatever I need to in life to never move back there, honestly I'd love to move out of Pennsylvania entirely!
  • iamsam_pj wrote:

haha! that's the way I feel about my hometown. I'll do whatever I need to in life to never move back there, honestly I'd love to move out of Pennsylvania entirely!
    i'll never go back to live!! it's bad enough when i go to visit my family...which is usually only around the holidays. there's a small town mentality there that i'll just never understand! just moving 3 hours away was the best thing that i could've ever done for myself...i can't wait to finally move out of state. i highly recommend moving outside of ones comfort zone.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm just gonna post the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia,_California

:P :D
  • iamsam_pj wrote:
    i'll never go back to live!! it's bad enough when i go to visit my family...
    i was actually going to say this.... it's brutal driving through that town when I go to see my parents, usually I try to meet them somewhere or have them come see me. Ugh I don't know how my soon to be ex husband moved back there!!! the horror!
  • iamsam_pj wrote:
    i was actually going to say this.... it's brutal driving through that town when I go to see my parents, usually I try to meet them somewhere or have them come see me. Ugh I don't know how my soon to be ex husband moved back there!!! the horror!
    my parents are scared to drive through "big cities", so they have yet to visit me here in tampa...and i've been here for almost 2 years. it makes me mad cause i hate to be the only one to make a trip to visit. i think my mom cried the last time that she had to drive through orlando to visit me b/c of the traffic!!
  • iamsam_pj wrote:
    iamsam_pj wrote:
    my parents are scared to drive through "big cities", so they have yet to visit me here in tampa...and i've been here for almost 2 years. it makes me mad cause i hate to be the only one to make a trip to visit. i think my mom cried the last time that she had to drive through orlando to visit me b/c of the traffic!!
    I guess they're never gonna visit you in Seattle then. :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • It's the capitol of California... 8-)
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • I guess they're never gonna visit you in Seattle then. :mrgreen:
    no...they won't!! my mom refuses to get on an airplane :roll:
  • where I live now:
    http://www.nps.gov/vafo/
  • Adelaide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Christmas_Pageant

it's all i got

no mention of Ley Ley
    wah
  • Gore:
    Capital of country music in New Zealand
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Cambridge, England. Everyone from Christopher Marlowe to Isaac Newton to Sylvia Plath and John Cleese studied here. Er, DNA was discovered here. Um, oh, Nick Drake studied here as well. And, er, Syd Barrett and David Gilmour were born here; Roger Waters grew up here. I'm sure I've missed something. ;)
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    My hometown got itself on the front page of the tabloids in England twice; once when someone bit a blokes ears off in a fight outside a nightclub, and another time when someone drowned in Michael Barrymore's swimming pool after being at that same nightclub.
  • Courtesy of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria,_British_Columbia

Victoria (IPA: /vɪkˈtɔriə/) is the capital city of British Columbia. Located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, Victoria is a major tourism destination seeing more than 3.65 million visitors a year who inject more than one billion dollars into the local economy.

Fun Facts :D

Victoria is well-known for its disproportionately large retiree population. A historically popular cliché referring to the city was that it is for "the newly wed and nearly dead".

The oldest (and most intact) Chinatown in Canada is located within downtown

Built in 1863 the Temple Emanuel is the oldest synagogue in continuous use in Canada.

North of the city on the Saanich Peninsula is Butchart Gardens, one of the biggest tourist attractions on Vancouver Island.

Beacon Hill Park is the central city's main urban green space. Its area of 75 hectares adjacent to Victoria's southern shore includes numerous playing fields, manicured gardens, exotic species of plants and animals such as wild peacocks, a petting zoo, and views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Olympic mountain range. The sport of cricket has been played in Beacon Hill Park since the mid-nineteenth century.

Victoria also serves as the western terminus (Mile Zero) for Canada's Trans-Canada Highway, the longest national highway in the world. The Mile Zero is located in the southern part of the city at the corner of Douglas Street and Dallas Road, where there is a small monument.

A number of well-known musicians and bands are from Victoria, including Nelly Furtado, David Foster, Johnny Vallis, Bryce Soderberg, Swollen Members, Armchair Cynics, and Hot Hot Heat.

From the film industry, Hollywood director Atom Egoyan was raised in Victoria. Actor Cameron Bright (Ultraviolet (film), X-Men: The Last Stand, Thank You For Smoking) was born in Victoria.

History

Prior to the arrival of the Europeans in the late 1700s, the Victoria area was home to several communities of Coast Salish peoples, including the Songhees. The Spanish and British took up the exploration of the northwest coast of North America beginning with the visits of Juan Perez in 1774 and of Captain James Cook in 1778, although the Victoria area of the Strait of Juan de Fuca was not penetrated until 1790. Spanish sailors visited Esquimalt Harbour (within the modern Capital Regional District) in 1790, 1791, and 1792. Erected in 1843 as a Hudson's Bay Company trading post on a site originally called Camosun (the native word was "camosack", meaning "rush of water") known briefly as "Fort Albert", the settlement was later christened Fort Victoria, in honour of Queen Victoria.

With the discovery of gold on the British Columbia mainland in 1858, Victoria became the port, supply base, and outfitting centre for miners on their way to the Fraser Canyon gold fields, mushrooming from a population of 300 to over 5000 literally within a few days. In 1866 when the island was politically united with the mainland, Victoria remained the capital of the new united colony and became the provincial capital when British Columbia joined the Canadian Confederation in 1871. Victoria was incorporated as a city in 1862. In 1865, Esquimalt was made the North Pacific home of the Royal Navy, and remains Canada's west coast naval base.

Climate

Victoria has a temperate climate that is usually classified as Marine west coast (Cfb),with mild, damp winters and relatively dry and mild summers. It is sometimes classified as a Mediterranean climate (Csb).

Daily temperatures rise above 30°C (86°F) on an average of one or two days per year and fall below -5°C (23°F) on an average of only 2 nights per year. During the winter, the average daily high and low temperatures are 8.2°C (47°F) and 3.6°C (38°F), respectively. The summer months are equally mild, with an average high temperature of 19.6°C (67°F) and low of 11.3°C (52°F). Victoria does occasionally experience more extreme temperatures. The highest temperature ever recorded in Victoria was 36.3°C (97.3°F) on July 11, 2007, while the coldest temperature on record was -15.6°C (4°F) on December 29, 1968 and January 28, 1950. Victoria has not recorded a temperature below -10°C (14°F) since 1990.

Total annual precipitation is just 608 mm (24in) at the Gonzales weather station in Victoria, contrasted to nearby Seattle, (137 km/85 miles away to the southeast), with 970mm (38in) of rainfall, or Vancouver, 100 km away, with 1,219 mm (48 in) of rainfall. Perhaps even more dramatic is the difference in rainfalls on Vancouver Island. Port Renfrew, just 80 km from Victoria on the wet southwest coast of Vancouver Island receives 3,671 mm (145 in). Even the Victoria Airport, 25 km north of the city, receives about 45 per cent more precipitation than the city proper. One of the most striking features of Victoria's climate is the distinct dry and rainy seasons. Nearly two thirds of the annual precipitation falls during the four wettest months, November to February. Precipitation in December, the wettest month (109 mm/4 in) is nearly eight times as high as in July, the driest month (14 mm/0.5 in). During the summer months, Victoria is the driest major city in Canada.

Victoria averages just 26 cm (10 in) of snow annually. Every few decades, Victoria receives very large snowfalls, including the more than 100 cm (39 in) of snow that fell in December 1996. On the other hand, roughly one third of winters will see virtually no snow, with less than 5 cm (2 in) falling during the entire season. When snow does fall, it rarely lasts long on the ground. Victoria averages just 2-3 days per year with at least 5 cm (2 in) of snow on the ground.

The rain shadow effect also means that Victoria gets more sunshine than surrounding areas. With 2,223 hours of sun annually, Victoria is one of the sunniest places in British Columbia, and gets more sunshine than most other cities in Canada except those in the southern Prairies. The benefits of Victoria's climate are evident through the city's gardens, which are more likely to display drought-tolerant oak trees, eucalyptus, arbutus, and even bananas, than they are likely to feature evergreen conifers, which are typically associated with the coastal Pacific Northwest environment.

Population

Ethnically, the residents of the City of Victoria self-identify primarily as not-a-visible minority (note that these categories are those used in the Statistics Canada census).
    Ethnic group % of total Victoria pop. Pop. in City of Victoria
    †"Not a visible minority" 88% 66,260
    Tot. visible minority pop. 12% 9130
    * Chinese 4% 3085
    * Black 1% 1070
    * South Asian 1% 1015
    * Filipino 1% 995

Each of the additional ethnic groups listed in the 2006 census represent less than 1% of the population of the City of Victoria.

Homelessness in Victoria

Victoria's moderate climate and relative warmth when compared to the rest of Canada, in conjunction with steadily increasing costs of living has created a disproportionately high population of homeless people. In January 2005, a volunteer study by the Victoria Cool-Aid Society found the homeless population to be approximately 700 individuals (although this number has grown dramatically since then and is now estimated to be well over 2000 individuals). Remarkably, this was the first homeless count in the city. In 2006, a Times-Colonist news article estimated the homeless population to have increased by 30% in just a few weeks due to the anticipated tourism boom of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. In early 2008, an anti-homelessness program based on a successful Italian program was introduced to Victoria. Built on a farm in Central Saanich, the program would typically span two to five years for a homeless person to fully recover. The program boasts a 70 to 80 percent success rate, as opposed to the usual 28 day program with a five to ten percent success rate.

The homeless survey conducted by the Victoria Cool-Aid Society found 50% of the homeless population identify themselves as First Nations, and the majority of people living on the streets do not receive income assistance from the government.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Terryible wrote:
    Gore:
    I think we stayed the night there :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Accrington, Lancashire
    Famous for producing the worlds hardest building bricks which have been used for numerous famous building including the Empire State buildings.
    The bricks are called Accy NORI because they printed IRON on them backwards by accident :lol:
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Terryible wrote:
    Gore:
    I think we stayed the night there :D

Lucky you

Did you go to howl at the moon?
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch