Your hometown's claim to fame

Comments

• AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969

You guys have that bitchen water tower! :P

I really like that you said "bitchen". That made me smile! :D

Woot! That always makes me feel better. I've accomplished a swell thing for today. :D

Aww. Indeed you have. I was totally grumpy earlier.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    Seriously I don't think anyone can top this. I was fascinated by it when I was a kid, I thought it was full of ketchup. Of course I thought the sandwiches from Lion's Choice were lion meat too, I was a misinformed kid.
    450px-Collinsville_watertower.jpg
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    here are some interesting facts about my hometown (Houston, TX) that I found online....

1. There are more 4-star restaurants in Houston than in New York City. No really, there is even a book about it. Also, you could go out to dinner every night for thirty years and not go to the same restaurant twice, because Houstonians go out to eat more than residents of any other city. When we first moved here I was amazed at the number and variety of venues.

2. Houston, the City proper, is divided up into little communities that name themselves. These are not metro or incorporated areas or Cities with in the City, they are Hamlets. I have yet to visit an area of town that is not 'named'. Most are historic names from when there were nicknames for areas. In many cases those names 'stuck'. Some of these are: Audubon Place, Woodland Heights, Houston Heights, River Oaks, Rice Village etc.

3. Houston has the largest Medical Center in the world. It is home to MD Anderson Cancer Center the leading Cancer Center and Reasearch facility in the world whose motto is: Making Cancer History. I like the sound of that in all the ways that it is meant. It also is home to several Major University Medical Schools like UT Medical School and Baylor Medical School.

4. Houston has a diverse economic structure, in addition to the Medical Center,it ranges from being the traditional energy center of the US to the emerging market of new energy. It has become the nations 2nd largest port although it is 40 miles inland. I has the 2nd largest theater district in the nation, next to New York City. It has over 40 Colleges and Universities with specialties as diverse as it's economic base. A relatively new industry to Houston but one that is getting major attention is the Financial/Investment industry. Rounding up the base is a smattering of music, entertainment, hospitality/recreation venues, as well as being the Headquarter location to 20 or so Fortune 500 Companies.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    Liverpool famous for the Beatles,Liverpool fc,and "calm down like!".
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,816
    hartford CT

insurance capital of the world
  • other than being in the best public school district in nyc, back in the day (late 1960s), several members of the New York Rangers and New York Mets used to live here. I seem to remember that it was mentioned that guys like Andy Bathgate and Jerry Grote lived here. Also for Met fans, the original "Sign Man", who died last year, also resided here.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Cypress, CA. - Hometown of Tiger Woods.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Marlette, MI- Birthplace of the moblie home.
    You're welcome trailer park dwellers!
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • my hometown of workington isnt famous for anything :cry: unless you follow rugby league and have a real long memory :lol:
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Portland Oregon:

-When the city was first settled, there was a coin toss to name the city. One side of the Coin was Portland, the other side was Boston. Luckily it landed on the Portland side ;)

- The "Greenest" city in the US.

- City Nicknames - Rose City, Stumptown, PDX, Rip City, Bridgetown, and Little Beirut.

- Home for many popular indie bands - Elliott Smith, The Shins, Modest Mouse, Decemberists, Menomena, . . . .

- Largest independent Bookstore in the US.

- Many Simpsons characters are named after streets in Downtown.

Portland is rad. :)

I visited there over the summer and fell in love with it. Everything good about a town is there.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Metropolis, Illinois

Home of Superman, of course. We have the Metropolis Planet newspaper (weekly - not daily so can't be called the Daily Planet). We have a really nice Superman statue and a museum. Our courthouse square is named Superman Square, and there is a street called Lois Lane.

It is also the burial place of John Stroud, the Bird Man of Alcatraz.

I can't think of anything else right now.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I grew up in the Fairfax area of Los Angeles, and a bunch of people from bands grew up in the patch & went to my high school around the same time as me:

Slash/Steven Adler from G & R

Tracy Guns from L.A. Guns (in the 6th grade, he claimed that a girl performed a certain act on him...we were all dumfounded at the age of 11!)

Rami Jaffee from Wallflowers/FooFighters

Eric Melvin from NOFX

Flea/Anthony/Hillel/Jack Irons from RHCPs

Dave Kushner (Velvet Revolver)
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Where is PBM with his "quilt capital of the world"??? Probably digging out of the snow, I suppose.

Quilt City is Paducah, Kentucky. PBM still works here, but he and his family moved to Tennessee. We have no snow. We had ice. No ice now, just limbs, trees, downed power lines, and broken power poles now.

I am trying to think of something else Paducah is famous for, but can't think of any. There was the infamous school shootings. That is something no town wants to be known for.

I guess Paducah is most famous for being the home of the National Quilt Museum and the annual Quilt Festival which draws thousands of "blue hairs" from all over the country and internationally. To be quite honest, there are lots of visitors that are not elderly.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    aNiMaL wrote:
    You're welcome for...

Microsoft
    U.P.S.
    Weyerhaeuser
    Dale Chihuly
    Boeing
    Costco
    Pearl Jam
    All Seattle Grunge
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Heart
    Almond Roca
    aNiMaL

And so many more...
    Bing Crosby
    Real Networks
    Amazon.com
    Mount Rainier
    Labor Ready
    Frank Russell
    Nordstrom's

We should probably apologize for:
    Tanya Harding
    The Seattle Mariners
    The Seattle Seahawks
  • Fort Worth, Texas--established as an Army outpost in the 1840s. The Chisholm Cattle Trail went through Ft. Worth in the 19th century and helped give it its nickname of Cowtown. Ft. Worth is known for promoting its western heritage, its street festivals, and (believe it or not) its exceptional art museums.

Famous natives include Ginger Rogers, Bill Paxton, T-Bone Burnett, and this guy:

http://www.1secondad.com/
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Get_Right wrote:
    hartford CT

What about the Whale????

6.gif
    I can't teach common sense.
    Get_Right wrote:
    hartford CT

What about the Whale????

6.gif

Hartford? The Whale? They beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime!

Interesting side note: I work at a bar in Plymouth, Mich. Home of the Plymouth Whalers, the OHL affiliate of the old Hartford team. When Hartford moved to Carolina, the Plymouth Whalers kept their name. In fact, they still use a sweater that has the same logo.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Get_Right wrote:
    hartford CT

What about the Whale????

6.gif

I think there's a new internet law that has been enacted which states you cannot reference The Whale ... and NOT mention the Brass Bonanza ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zDKSpEfPOTo
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Perrysburg, Ohio is the only city in the United States other than Washington DC that was created by an act of Congress.

I'm kind of intruiged about this...can you elaborate?

I'm no historical expert, but basically it was the site of an important battle in the War of 1812. Commodore Perry beat back the British or something. Congress later ordered a city to be built there overlooking the river, for reasons I don't know. That's why the city proper is actually exactly 1 square mile in a perfect square. I'm sure there's some info about it somewhere.
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    aNiMaL wrote:
    You're welcome for...

Microsoft
    U.P.S.
    Weyerhaeuser
    Dale Chihuly
    Boeing
    Costco
    Pearl Jam
    All Seattle Grunge
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Heart
    Almond Roca

Um...those aren't from Tacoma.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• jimed14 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    hartford CT

What about the Whale????

6.gif

I think there's a new internet law that has been enacted which states you cannot reference The Whale ... and NOT mention the Brass Bonanza ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zDKSpEfPOTo

Lock me up then.....that's classic.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    aNiMaL wrote:
    You're welcome for...

Microsoft
    U.P.S.
    Weyerhaeuser
    Dale Chihuly
    Boeing
    Costco
    Pearl Jam
    All Seattle Grunge
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Heart
    Almond Roca

Umm, some of them are. But, I consider the entire Puget Sound region my "hometown."
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Fort Worth, Texas--established as an Army outpost in the 1840s. The Chisholm Cattle Trail went through Ft. Worth in the 19th century and helped give it its nickname of Cowtown. Ft. Worth is known for promoting its western heritage, its street festivals, and (believe it or not) its exceptional art museums.

Famous natives include Ginger Rogers, Bill Paxton, T-Bone Burnett, and this guy:

bill paxton> really? I played golf last summer and the "pacman" aka bill paxton's brother was mowing the fairways. he can yell 2 fairways across...."dude, did you see my brother's new movie?!"
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    aNiMaL wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    You're welcome for...

Microsoft
    U.P.S.
    Weyerhaeuser
    Dale Chihuly
    Boeing
    Costco
    Pearl Jam
    All Seattle Grunge
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Heart
    Almond Roca

Umm, some of them are. But, I consider the entire Puget Sound region my "hometown."
    Sorry... but, I call 'Shennanigins'. Because if that's the case, I can call all of Southern California my hometown and claim:
    American Surf culture, The Doors, Van Halen, The Apollo Program, X, Social Distortion, The Movie Industry, The Space Shuttle, All Year Sunshine, Skateboarding and the hometown of Tiger Woods.
    And that ain't right.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    aNiMaL wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    You're welcome for...

Microsoft
    U.P.S.
    Weyerhaeuser
    Dale Chihuly
    Boeing
    Costco
    Pearl Jam
    All Seattle Grunge
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Heart
    Almond Roca

Well if that's how we're playing it, I call the automobile.
    You're welcome. :lol:
  • Pottstown, Pennsylvania

Daryl Hall of Hall and Oats
    Being confused with Pottsville, Pennsylvania the home of america's oldest brewery - Yuengling.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    World's Largest Hockey Stick! Yay!!! :D
    be philanthropic
  • Pottstown, Pennsylvania

Daryl Hall of Hall and Oats
    Being confused with Pottsville, Pennsylvania the home of america's oldest brewery - Yuengling.
    You're not far from me :)
    Yuengling *thumbsup*
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Commy wrote:
    Fort Worth, Texas--established as an Army outpost in the 1840s. The Chisholm Cattle Trail went through Ft. Worth in the 19th century and helped give it its nickname of Cowtown. Ft. Worth is known for promoting its western heritage, its street festivals, and (believe it or not) its exceptional art museums.

bill paxton> really? I played golf last summer and the "pacman" aka bill paxton's brother was mowing the fairways. he can yell 2 fairways across...."dude, did you see my brother's new movie?!"
    Yeah, supposedly he visits a lot.

I forgot to add that "Walker Texas Ranger" used to be filmed here if you could manage to sit through an episode to watch for local landmarks. :roll:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Not my hometown, but the closest town to my parents' lake house is Darwin, MN Which is home to the world's largest ball of twine!!!

Its in a glass enclosed gazebo!!! :lol: