Options

Press release on the re-release of riot act!!!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    LukinFan wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    "sucks" is rude.

It's strange to read these threads because I see Pearl Jam's music as a whole body of work. Maybe it's because of the live shows and how they mix it up from all the albums but I just don't compartmentalize it by album.

And I'm sooo glad I do it my way. :D

xo
    why is this thread even still around, Kat?

because all i'm guilty of here is possibly bad humor maybe? I bet if Mike saw this thread, he'd freaking love it and laugh.

Anyway, I know you are excited about this special re-release of riot act.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Kat wrote:
    So is my nose brown now too? :P :P haha. In all these years on this long road, I've never found a band I wanted to listen to more than this one...and I don't see that changing...and I'm not embarrassed at all to say it.

Yes. Come on...even Jesus doesn't like Cropduster. :):D

PBM
    I'm positive that Cropduster is some sort of social experiment because nothing kills a good crowd better than this song. I actually really like the song too. Had a run of 3 straight shows from '03 to '05 with Cropduster in the setlist (including 2 with Driven to Tears -- another set killer) and each time it was as if it was a sonic sponge created to suck the life out of a venue. It doesn't make sense to me. I have seen Come Back live (in my opinion the only completely dreadful song in the PJ catalogue) and the crowd was still somewhat energetic at the end of it. I guess ours is not to reason why ...
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,856
    bump........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    edited June 2009
    Songburst wrote:
    I'm positive that Cropduster is some sort of social experiment because nothing kills a good crowd better than this song. I actually really like the song too. Had a run of 3 straight shows from '03 to '05 with Cropduster in the setlist (including 2 with Driven to Tears -- another set killer) and each time it was as if it was a sonic sponge created to suck the life out of a venue. It doesn't make sense to me.

I saw Croduster in Nashville '03 and it killed the set.

Look at this beginning: Oceans, Love Boat Captain, Breakerfall, Gods’ Dice, Save You, Do The Evolution, Cropduster.

Death.

Glad to see I'm not alone on this one.

PBM
    Post edited by PissBottleMan on
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    riot act = best album ever! yes better than yield and no code........ 'runs from thread'
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    I effing love Riot Act.

Ive been ending my daily commute to work with Green Disease for the past month. Puts a little strut in my stride as I walk into the Hospital.
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    So is my nose brown now too? :P :P haha. In all these years on this long road, I've never found a band I wanted to listen to more than this one...and I don't see that changing...and I'm not embarrassed at all to say it.

Yes. Come on...even Jesus doesn't like Cropduster. :):D

PBM
    I'm positive that Cropduster is some sort of social experiment because nothing kills a good crowd better than this song. I actually really like the song too. Had a run of 3 straight shows from '03 to '05 with Cropduster in the setlist (including 2 with Driven to Tears -- another set killer) and each time it was as if it was a sonic sponge created to suck the life out of a venue. It doesn't make sense to me. I have seen Come Back live (in my opinion the only completely dreadful song in the PJ catalogue) and the crowd was still somewhat energetic at the end of it. I guess ours is not to reason why ...

The answer is simple. People want a song that they can "groove" to, put their arm around their girlfriend, hold up their lighter and sway back and forth, or jump up and down like a doofus and sing along to. "Cropduster" isn't one of those songs. It's a thoughtful and well-written song, and not the "stadium rock" anthem that people want. People like "Come Back" because it has a generic chord progression that they don't have to think about, and the lyrics reminds them of their dead grandmother, so they'll hold up their lighter and cry tears while Eddie sings. It's like being at a Creed concert. But that's what the people want. The evidence is right here on this forum.
  • Options

The answer is simple. People want a song that they can "groove" to, put their arm around their girlfriend, hold up their lighter and sway back and forth, or jump up and down like a doofus and sing along to. "Cropduster" isn't one of those songs. It's a thoughtful and well-written song, and not the "stadium rock" anthem that people want. People like "Come Back" because it has a generic chord progression that they don't have to think about, and the lyrics reminds them of their dead grandmother, so they'll hold up their lighter and cry tears while Eddie sings. It's like being at a Creed concert. But that's what the people want. The evidence is right here on this forum.

Here's the classic, advanced-level white person "some people just aren't sophisticated enough to like this song" response. I bet lots of people who don't like Creed also don't want to hear Cropduster.

Can't it ever be as simple as, "I hear a song and I don't like it"? Ever? Is that possible?

My God. Are you people going to make me re-post my review of riot act?

To the credit of the gentleman I'm directly responding to, Evacuation is a decent tune. I'd put it over most of the songs on riot act and that is not a joke at all.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    fanch75 wrote:

Here's the classic, advanced-level white person "some people just aren't sophisticated enough to like this song" response. I bet lots of people who don't like Creed also don't want to hear Cropduster.

Can't it ever be as simple as, "I hear a song and I don't like it"? Ever? Is that possible?

To the credit of the gentleman I'm directly responding to, Evacuation is a decent tune. I'd put it over most of the songs on riot act and that is not a joke at all.
    each to their own i supose, i personally like riot act but theres just something missing, i think the re-release(if they do one) might(emphasis on might) correct it
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:

I was responding to the observation that "Cropduster" is a crowd killer. It's a crowd killer because it doesn't conform with the stadium rock mentality that prevails at these type of concerts. That's all.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I was responding to the observation that "Cropduster" is a crowd killer. It's a crowd killer because it doesn't conform with the stadium rock mentality that prevails at these type of concerts. That's all.

PILATE could be considered a crowd killer, but it's still a good song. While I like the message conveyed in Cropduster, it falls flat in the studio and in concert.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,355
    that was awesome :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    I really like Ghost. No PJ album is even close to being shitty. F-you and I don't care if you're being humorous...
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    fanch75 wrote:

Fanch, great stuff as usual. I wish I had the drunken review of RA that I did a while back because you have no love for it!! :D Ahhhh, when I had time on my hands............

.....oh well, I fuckin feel like talking about Yield anyway........
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    It's the Fourth of July, and I'm watching Iron Maiden on my tv.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,355
    grungeyed wrote:
    riot act = best album ever! yes better than yield and no code........ 'runs from thread'
    after ten,,do whatever u want,in any order u want ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    riot act is really, really, REALLY bad. I'm glad they are re-releasing it as a blank CD, as this is a huge improvement over the original release.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    lame

Let me expand on that....

This thread is very lame and very asinine.

Shut up and go eats some Sushi, or write some poetry or something.
  • Options
    Why is "Get Right" being singled out? That and Save You are the only rockers with any life to them on the entire album. Songs like "Help Help" and the utterly dated "Bushleaguer" are far worse.
    Clearly it's PJ's weakest but "Riot Act" is still a pretty good record.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    danny ddanny d Posts: 90
    Im a fan of the album,but that is some funny shit.
  • Options
    Why is "Get Right" being singled out?

Pretend you are asleep and sing, "I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right, I wanted to get right"

That's how that song goes. If you can't recall.
  • Options
    pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. GTA Posts: 1,808
    edited August 2009
    :lol:

Hilarious!!!
    fanch75 wrote:

Do it!
    Post edited by pineapplesandwaves. on
  • Options
    BigHub74BigHub74 Posts: 92
    Fucking Hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.