~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

1878889909193»

Comments

  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 30,522
    yeah vet bills can get expensive.  Actually taking Kali in for her yearly check up and glucose count.  Hopefully it goes well. She seems to be doing well and gaining weight from the insulin and diabetic food.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 46,845
    edited April 20
    Thanks all.
    I am now truly down to deciding whether or not I should euthanize her on Monday. :frowning: She's been back for more intravenous hydration today, and another antibiotic shot, and she has some real dental probs under the gums, at the roots, which is really causing her pain (I mentioned mouth pain to the vet before, but he didn't see anything, since it's below the gums, so assumed i was wrong until he checked more carefully today). And the vet confirmed that she has kidney disease. So I am heart broken. The vet I think would never suggest putting her down - he wants me to keep bringing her in daily for subcutaneous hydration and antibiotic shots, and then to do dental xrays on Tuesday, which would be a prelude to dental surgery. But before a surgery her kidneys need to flush out, hence the hydration. She is now on pain medication for the mouth pain, which is some comfort. She is eating very little.

    Considering her age, I think maybe the best thing to do is to let her go now, and not put her through any more of this crap. And it seems just a bit illogical to get major dental surgery for a nearly-17 year old cat with kidney disease.... but my vet is all for it. I don't know if he actually thinks she can have a decent quality of life for an extended period of time with all this and that the process is really worth it for Sid, or if he"s more of an extortionist. Either way, this is horrible. I haven't slept in 2 days, as Sid needs nearly around the clock monitoring (IMO anyway... I feel like I need to know exactly when and how much she drinks and eats and everything, and how much pain she might be in at any given time).

    Trying to make this decision is devastating for me. I think I know what the smart and reasonable thing to do is... but my vet insisting that all these xrays and ongoing treatment for her is making me feel horribly guilty just considering euthanasia, like I am just not willing to do what it takes to make her better., which really just may be true, which is why I am hesitating. And I'm not going to lie, money is also a factor here....... And friends are taking me out for my bday in only a couple hours. That should be fun. :neutral: I can't stop crying... or couldn't until I wrote this- I guess I needed the distraction!

    I know I need to just do what I think is best, but I am genuinely curious to know what others would do under all the same circumstances.....

    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 17,714
    Here is my cat when she showed up on my doorstep almost three years ago ...


  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,530
    Oh, man...I'm so sorry and know how difficult it is to make that choice for them.  But that's really what it is, isn't it?  Doing it FOR them.  To have pain and little quality of life after having one of love and nurturing?  You can spare her that, despite what your vet says.

    Jason, she's a cutie.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom'sPosts: 8,365
    edited April 21
    PJ_Soul said:
    Thanks all.
    I am now truly down to deciding whether or not I should euthanize her on Monday. :frowning: She's been back for more intravenous hydration today, and another antibiotic shot, and she has some real dental probs under the gums, at the roots, which is really causing her pain (I mentioned mouth pain to the vet before, but he didn't see anything, since it's below the gums, so assumed i was wrong until he checked more carefully today). And the vet confirmed that she has kidney disease. So I am heart broken. The vet I think would never suggest putting her down - he wants me to keep bringing her in daily for subcutaneous hydration and antibiotic shots, and then to do dental xrays on Tuesday, which would be a prelude to dental surgery. But before a surgery her kidneys need to flush out, hence the hydration. She is now on pain medication for the mouth pain, which is some comfort. She is eating very little.

    Considering her age, I think maybe the best thing to do is to let her go now, and not put her through any more of this crap. And it seems just a bit illogical to get major dental surgery for a nearly-17 year old cat with kidney disease.... but my vet is all for it. I don't know if he actually thinks she can have a decent quality of life for an extended period of time with all this and that the process is really worth it for Sid, or if he"s more of an extortionist. Either way, this is horrible. I haven't slept in 2 days, as Sid needs nearly around the clock monitoring (IMO anyway... I feel like I need to know exactly when and how much she drinks and eats and everything, and how much pain she might be in at any given time).

    Trying to make this decision is devastating for me. I think I know what the smart and reasonable thing to do is... but my vet insisting that all these xrays and ongoing treatment for her is making me feel horribly guilty just considering euthanasia, like I am just not willing to do what it takes to make her better., which really just may be true, which is why I am hesitating. And I'm not going to lie, money is also a factor here....... And friends are taking me out for my bday in only a couple hours. That should be fun. :neutral: I can't stop crying... or couldn't until I wrote this- I guess I needed the distraction!

    I know I need to just do what I think is best, but I am genuinely curious to know what others would do under all the same circumstances.....

    At 17 I would have her put to sleep.  She is miserable and doesn't need to go through all of that stuff.

    Very sorry you are having to deal with this.  It's never easy....I speak from experience.
    Remember the Thomas Nine!! (10/02/2018)

    1998: Noblesville
    2003: Noblesville
    2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville
    2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago
    2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1
    2018: Wrigley #1, Wrigley #2, Boston #1, Boston #2
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 30,522
    PJ_Soul said:
    Thanks all.
    I am now truly down to deciding whether or not I should euthanize her on Monday. :frowning: She's been back for more intravenous hydration today, and another antibiotic shot, and she has some real dental probs under the gums, at the roots, which is really causing her pain (I mentioned mouth pain to the vet before, but he didn't see anything, since it's below the gums, so assumed i was wrong until he checked more carefully today). And the vet confirmed that she has kidney disease. So I am heart broken. The vet I think would never suggest putting her down - he wants me to keep bringing her in daily for subcutaneous hydration and antibiotic shots, and then to do dental xrays on Tuesday, which would be a prelude to dental surgery. But before a surgery her kidneys need to flush out, hence the hydration. She is now on pain medication for the mouth pain, which is some comfort. She is eating very little.

    Considering her age, I think maybe the best thing to do is to let her go now, and not put her through any more of this crap. And it seems just a bit illogical to get major dental surgery for a nearly-17 year old cat with kidney disease.... but my vet is all for it. I don't know if he actually thinks she can have a decent quality of life for an extended period of time with all this and that the process is really worth it for Sid, or if he"s more of an extortionist. Either way, this is horrible. I haven't slept in 2 days, as Sid needs nearly around the clock monitoring (IMO anyway... I feel like I need to know exactly when and how much she drinks and eats and everything, and how much pain she might be in at any given time).

    Trying to make this decision is devastating for me. I think I know what the smart and reasonable thing to do is... but my vet insisting that all these xrays and ongoing treatment for her is making me feel horribly guilty just considering euthanasia, like I am just not willing to do what it takes to make her better., which really just may be true, which is why I am hesitating. And I'm not going to lie, money is also a factor here....... And friends are taking me out for my bday in only a couple hours. That should be fun. :neutral: I can't stop crying... or couldn't until I wrote this- I guess I needed the distraction!

    I know I need to just do what I think is best, but I am genuinely curious to know what others would do under all the same circumstances.....

    go with your heart/gut. You know her better than anyone like you said. I would be torn but probably put her down. 17 is a good age for a cat, hopefully mine lives that long.

    Kali went in for her yearly check-up/vaccinations and glucose count (which was high). Now she's not feeling well probably from all the shots and all. She seemed to be limping on her back leg also. Hasn't really eaten anything since then. It's happened before, so hopefully  later in the day she's back to her old self.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 1,851
    I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, PJ_Soul. Thinking of you today.
  • LizardLizard So CalPosts: 11,911
    I echo the sentiments to PJ_Soul.  It is so tuff but I do think the bad outweighs the good in continuing treatment in this situation.

    Hope Kali gets feeling better quickly, dave.

    Cute grey kitty, Jason.  We had a grey kitten just like that for a while (got adopted out).


    Is it over yet? #ITMFA
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 30,522
    Lizard said:
    I echo the sentiments to PJ_Soul.  It is so tuff but I do think the bad outweighs the good in continuing treatment in this situation.

    Hope Kali gets feeling better quickly, dave.

    Cute grey kitty, Jason.  We had a grey kitten just like that for a while (got adopted out).


    yeah she's doing better. eating now and not limping too much :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 46,845
    edited April 23
    Glad Kali is doing better eeriepadave. :heart:

    Sid's gone. Making the decision was one of the worst things I ever did. I was positively nauseous, I think having a kind of anxiety attack. But when I got to the vet to do the deed I had a bit of a revelation. I wasn't even sure if I was doing the right thing or not when I walked into the place. But I discovered that the extortionist vet that I mentioned, who made the decision SO much more difficult because he showed no support at all, and who was responsible for all of my doubt, had the day off. Some young, very gentle guy was there instead, and he gave me the assurances I needed - he even said he admired people like me who are able to make the choice before the pet really suffers, instead of after. He made me feel so much better and handled it all so kindly. I'm thankful for that..... though it makes me want to go and punch the other guy in the fucking face!

    Anyway, poor Sid. It was fast, but damn... hard to watch. I'm obviously extremely sad, and to be here in this empty apartment is depressing AF right now, and just feels wrong, and lonely. But I just need a little time to get used to the idea and grieve.

    Thanks for all the kind words and support everyone.


    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 1,892
    I'm truly sorry for your loss. It's never easy to say goodbye but sometimes it's the greatest gift you can give a beloved friend. 

    Take good care of yourself. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,530
    I really feel for you, and how fortuitous that someone who understood and was empathetic could be there and confirm you did the right thing.  I know that knowledge doesn't ease the pain of loss, though.

    If you're so inclined and up to it at some point, it might help you (and others?) to tell the first vet your thoughts about how he handled this, made you feel, seemed to see dollar signs instead of his patient, etc.
     
  • giventofly69giventofly69 VancouverPosts: 742
    Hearts and thoughts, PJ Soul. Saying good bye is heartbreaking and I feel for you. 

    But still glad you and Sid had many years of love and laughs. 

    RIP sweet Sid

    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • LizardLizard So CalPosts: 11,911
    Take care PJ Soul.  <3
    Is it over yet? #ITMFA
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NCPosts: 9,757
    I'm so very sorry PJ Soul. Sid seemed like such an amazing kitty. You were both fortunate to have each other in your lives for so many years. You are in my thoughts. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 46,845
    Thank you all for your well wishes. :heart:
    It's definitely tough, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by grief still - it's strange, the way my emotions are cycling like a pinwheel, almost from minute to minute - it's enough to make a person feel like a mental case. But time heals. And I'm back at work today, and very very very busy, so that helps keep my mind off of it.

    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 30,522
    PJ_Soul said:
    Thank you all for your well wishes. :heart:
    It's definitely tough, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by grief still - it's strange, the way my emotions are cycling like a pinwheel, almost from minute to minute - it's enough to make a person feel like a mental case. But time heals. And I'm back at work today, and very very very busy, so that helps keep my mind off of it.

    :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 2,374
    Very sorry to hear that PJSoul
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 30,522
    RIP Grumpy Cat
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 30,522
    RIP Grumpy Cat
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 1,892
    Oh man. I'm sorry for your loss. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
Sign In or Register to comment.