New York Giants Official Thread

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764
    edited December 2011
    The only time I like being wrong. Pessimism works. But really need to stop waiting for the final 2 minutes
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    How bout them Cowboys?! At least the other team ice'd your kicker this week. Let's go first place G-Men!!!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Ladies and gentlemen, Jason Pierre-Paul.
    Career high in yds for Eli 4100 and is on pace for 5000
    I miss igotid88
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:
    5000 with 3 games left?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    5000 with 3 games left?

300 each game is doable. Especially if they have to keep coming back like they have been the whole season. And not just run it out the last quarter.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    5000 with 3 games left?

300 each game is doable. Especially if they have to keep coming back like they have been the whole season. And not just run it out the last quarter.
    Good point.

Also, the run game was outstanding tonight, compared to most of the season.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    this timeout rule is bullshit....

great win

it's not a rule. it's just something coaches have started doing...and it doesn't really work.

solid game tonight. that was fun.

yea but its a bogus thing...should have to call it with a few seconds left..not basically after the snap

eh..packers kill either team

:?

you do have to call it with time left. after the snap is too late. what the hell are you talking about? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

it's not a rule. it's just something coaches have started doing...and it doesn't really work.

solid game tonight. that was fun.

yea but its a bogus thing...should have to call it with a few seconds left..not basically after the snap

you do have to call it with time left. after the snap is too late. what the hell are you talking about? :lol:

by the time the whistle is blown the kick is made already..its a bogus rule

it should have to be called by someone on the field or if the coach is gonna do it ...cant't be under 5 seconds on the game clock...something to prevent these kicks that don't count shit

both teams can't stop a nosebleed and will get waxed by in the playoffs
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

by the time the whistle is blown the kick is made already..its a bogus rule

it should have to be called by someone on the field or if the coach is gonna do it ...cant't be under 5 seconds on the game clock...something to prevent these kicks that don't count shit

both teams can't stop a nosebleed and will get waxed by in the playoffs

there is no a rule dude. you want to implement one :lol:

they've had the ability to call a timeout there forever. it's just become the popular thing to do in the last 10-15 years. but apparently there is no evidence that it works a majority of the time. so maybe they will stop...i agree that it's annoying though
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I thought the time out rule was changed a few years back to allow the coach to call one at any time. It used to have to be called by a player on the field, I think.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I thought the time out rule was changed a few years back to allow the coach to call one at any time. It used to have to be called by a player on the field, I think.

ah, right right right. yes, i forgot. neilly--i owe you an apology my friend. the players had to call timeouts prior to '07.

there are obviously benefits to the coaches calling timeouts when they want to. but it makes icing the kicker easier because the kicker can't see it happening as opposed to if the lb called timeout directly in front of them or something.
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:

ah, right right right. yes, i forgot. neilly--i owe you an apology my friend. the players had to call timeouts prior to '07.

there are obviously benefits to the coaches calling timeouts when they want to. but it makes icing the kicker easier because the kicker can't see it happening as opposed to if the lb called timeout directly in front of them or something.

Didn't Shannahan start that shit?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Didn't Shannahan start that shit?
    I thought college football started it, then the NFL picked up on it. I could be wrong.
    well its a bullshit rule..if a coach is gonna do it he should have to do it b4 5 seconds left...that way the kick doesn;t happen ..waste of time and energy for the kicker
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    well its a bullshit rule..if a coach is gonna do it he should have to do it b4 5 seconds left...that way the kick doesn;t happen ..waste of time and energy for the kicker
    Coughlin did it with 6 seconds left
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953

The kicker does one thing - I have no sympathy for a kicker.
    Newch91 wrote:

6 seconds??????????? no way

the ball was almost thru the big U B4 THE WHISTLE BLEW

The kicker does one thing - I have no sympathy for a kicker.

agreed. it's like calling a timeout at the end of a basketball game before a free throw.
    www.myspace.com
    Newch91 wrote:

6 seconds??????????? no way

the ball was almost thru the big U B4 THE WHISTLE BLEW
    Yep. There was 6 seconds left.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... fl-wp13673
    The time on the play clock is irrelevant because you don't know when the ball will be snapped.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The time on the play clock is irrelevant because you don't know when the ball will be snapped.

yea bu 99% of the time its under 5 seconds in that situation

whatever ....just think its unfair to make them kick it....freeze them fo sure....but dont let them kick it
    It doesn't matter. He could have missed the it on the first try and got it the second.
    I miss igotid88
    JK_Livin wrote:

whatever ....just think its unfair to make them kick it....freeze them fo sure....but dont let them kick it

if he hear's the whistle, which he should, then he shouldn't kick it. it's pretty simple. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    JK_Livin wrote:

if he hear's the whistle, which he should, then he shouldn't kick it. it's pretty simple. :lol:
    but almost all of the time the whistle is blown after the kick. its a dumbass rule and i hate it. if its kicked before the whistle play stands, if it's kicked after the whistle play doesn't stand, that should be the rule. in the first place we all wouldnt be having this discussions had fatty ryan and his awful D not choked.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:

but almost all of the time the whistle is blown after the kick. its a dumbass rule and i hate it. if its kicked before the whistle play stands, if it's kicked after the whistle play doesn't stand, that should be the rule. in the first place we all wouldnt be having this discussions had fatty ryan and his awful D not choked.

the whistle is supposed to be blown at the time the timeout is called, right? so they should start blowing the whistle prior to the ball even being snapped.

i can't believe we're still talking about that stupid play. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

the whistle is supposed to be blown at the time the timeout is called, right? so they should start blowing the whistle prior to the ball even being snapped.

i can't believe we're still talking about that stupid play. :lol:
    agree with both lol
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

icing the kicker does not work. you'd think eventually coaches will realize this and stop doing it:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011 ... #storyjump

Icing the kicker remains ineffective practice

On Sunday night, Dallas Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey had his potential game-tying 47-yard field goal blocked by Jason Pierre-Paul on the game’s penultimate play.

The block came after Bailey drilled the same 47-yard try moments earlier, a split-second after the Giants called timeout to ice him.

Since Bailey also missed a potential game-winning field goal against the Arizona Cardinals seven days earlier, after a timeout called by his own coach, many will undoubtedly look at this small sample size and conclude that icing the kicker should be a routine strategy employed by head coaches.

However, looking at the effectiveness of such a strategy reveals that coaches are better off pocketing their timeouts.

With 10 seconds or less remaining in the 4th quarter, kickers who are not iced have made 70.2 percent of field goals since 2001.

When a timeout is called immediately before the try, they made 83.0 percent of attempts. That increase of 12.8 percentage points means recent attempts to ice a kicker at the end of a game actually increased the kicker’s chances of success by 18.2 percent.

Breaking those numbers down by distance shows that icing is particularly ineffective on long field goals. Field goals are made a higher rate following a timeout at all increments, but kickers more than double their accuracy on tries of 50 or more yards, hitting 77.8 percent after a timeout, compared to 37.5 percent otherwise.

Something coaches should think about as they sidle up to the official, hands poised to call timeout in an end-game situation.
    www.myspace.com
    Only the Giants can be plus 2 in turnovers and still be losing. Stupid secondary
    I miss igotid88
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    Bye bye Coughlin. Thanks for 2007.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17