Options

New York Giants Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    edited October 2018
    Well, gents...perhaps I'm guilty of waxing a bit nostalgic as the career of my all time favorite Eagles opposing quarterback appears to be closing in on a glorious sunset.

Here's to hoping for a 3 year extension. Long live Eli.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Eli has his hand in this shitshow as much as anyone. Maybe more.

His eyes are looking at the pass rush and he freezes like a deer in the headlights at bad times. His line is woeful, but they're not bad every single time. When given the opportunity to throw, Eli's lob shots are off the mark and sputtering. He has elite skilled positional players around him.

He's had a great career, but if people are being honest... he's finished. He simply hasn't aged like the other veteran QBs producing at an elite level. He's neither mentally nor physically capable. 

His leadership is not great either. I'm not sure if someone was serious with the player/coach comment or not? That dopey expression he displays with drool falling off his bottom lip hardly qualifies as inspiring.

Again... a great career. A horrible finish to it that doesn't take anything away from what he managed to achieve when he could play.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Well, gents...perhaps I'm guilty of waxing a bit nostalgic as the career of my all time favorite Eagles opposing quarterback appears to be closing in on a glorious sunset.

Here's to hoping for a 3 year extension. Long live Eli.
    I honestly don't get what your point is anymore.  Does Eli stink now? Yeah.  Will igotid go to the mattresses with him?  Oh yeah and good for him.  Does the fact that Eli has had a streaky career take anything away from the Super Bowls? Does it change anything for you that Nick Foles is a crap QB? 

We get it.  Eli is done. He is 37 years old.  He's also been part of 2 of the most fun runs most sports fans will ever see.
  • Options
    ^
    But has the career been "great" in relation to the era he's played? Or has it been mediocre-good with two obviously great/amazingly clutch performances in the post season? Overall stats do not suggest "great," especially when compared to his peers.

OR do those two SB's just make the whole thing great irregardless of everything else? It's an interesting question. I've been fascinated with this guy's career for a long time. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^
    But has the career been "great" in relation to the era he's played? Or has it been mediocre-good with two obviously great/amazingly clutch performances in the post season? Overall stats do not suggest "great," especially when compared to his peers.

OR do those two SB's just make the whole thing great irregardless of everything else? It's an interesting question. I've been fascinated with this guy's career for a long time. 

Here's his comparable players.  Seems about right.  There have been a lot worse and have been better.  The Super Bowls kinda make everything great.  You just experienced one. They're fun.

• Options
    Yeah that's a good list. Tough to compare different era's, though, because this sport changes so much.

Rivers and Roethlisberger are perfect players to compare him to actually since they all came out in '04.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    ^

Here's his comparable players.  Seems about right.  There have been a lot worse and have been better.  The Super Bowls kinda make everything great.  You just experienced one. They're fun.

Eli's career compared to above in my opinion:

better than: Brunell, McNair, Romo, Bledsoe, Palmer
    Equal to: McNabb (although I understand the 2 SBs may trump McNabb), Roethlisberger
    Worse than: Kelly and Aikman
    can't compare to Bradshaw
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    ^

Equal to: McNabb (although I understand the 2 SBs may trump McNabb), Roethlisberger
    No way he was better than Bledsoe.  The others I agree with.
  • Options
    I don't really disagree with that.  But generally, we are talking about pretty good quarterbacks. And 2 SBs

Gonna go igotid here real quick, buuut Aikman had a pretty pretty decent offensive line.
  • Options
    Is he a top 10 qb for his generation?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Probably around there?

The Super Bowls and his last name will get him into the hall of fame.
  • Options
    What is his generation though? 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    good question. I believe so. there are 4 stone cold locks ahead of him off the top of my head but those 4 are ahead of almost everyone.  Brady, His Brother, Brees and Rodgers.  I'd put Kurt Warner ahead of him as well.  I'm sure i'm missing someone but after those it kind of becomes a jumbled mess where you could put a lot of guys there.  Flacco, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Wilson.

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    good question. I believe so. there are 4 stone cold locks ahead of him off the top of my head but those 4 are ahead of almost everyone.  Brady, His Brother, Brees and Rodgers.  you can lump Eli in with the next group/

Those are the 4 that I came up with there were definitely ahead of him 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    ^

Eli is not (and never has been) equal to Roethlisberger.

I'm not a Steelers fan, or a Ben fan, or an Eli hater either.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    ^

I had a hard time with that one and can see the argument either way.  I don't think Ben has ever been an elite passer bur his intangibles are better than Eli's. 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    ^

I had a hard time with that one and can see the argument either way.  I don't think Ben has ever been an elite passer bur his intangibles are better than Eli's. 
    Agreed. And given the fact that Eli has never been an elite passer either... the nod goes to Ben in my mind.

All things being equal and if I had to win a game with my choice of QBs... I'm taking Ben every time.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The Weehawken police are apparently Eli fans. Haha
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,243
    I'd definitely give the nod to Roethlisberger over Eli.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Durability is a factor as well.
    I know 'Eli Face' gets a bad rap, but the guy is one of the most durable players the league has ever seen. And he gets hit a lot.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited October 2018
    Post wasn't important. Deleted.
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    eddiec said:
    Durability is a factor as well.
    I know 'Eli Face' gets a bad rap, but the guy is one of the most durable players the league has ever seen. And he gets hit a lot.

that, he does.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Poor form Nancy! What was in the post?!?!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    njnancy said:
    Poor form Nancy! What was in the post?!?!
    Sorry Juggler - didn't mean to have poor form - I was talking Eli and just decided to delete it but I had to include something cause you can't really delete once you post. 

I'm not in a good place, not cause of anything on here, so I just decided I would post when I wasn't so down. 

Don't worry - I'll be defending Eli soon enough.  ;)
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    I think I posted this article last year but it really epitomizes how I've always thought of ol' Eli.

Super clutch in the biggest of moments, but other than that.....meh:

Eli Manning Is Profoundly Mediocre

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/eli-manning-is-profoundly-mediocre/
    I agree.  With a decent line, he was a dominant 4th quarter QB... Many years ago. 

Also, kinda off-topic.. I was always neutral on the firing of Ben McAdoo, because of the players he had on offense last year.  Am I crazy to think that this year's personnel would've been the perfect line-up for Ben McAdoo?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    mcgruff10 said:

Bahahahahaha
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    damn defense. make up your mind if you're gonna be good or not
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    Looking like 1-8. Defense not looking good
    I miss igotid88