***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Biddle is the local kid they took in round 1 last year. apparently wade was trying to pry him away in this pence deal.

good vibes all over right now.

Phillies' Biddle Settles In With Lakewood

Jesse Biddle may not have been getting the acclaim of some of his fellow Phillies pitching prospects or some of his peers in the South Atlantic League, but for the last three months, few have pitched better than the 19-year-old lefthander.

The 27th overall pick in last year's draft, Biddle's first full season pitching for low Class A Lakewood didn't start out too smoothly. He was touched up for five runs on eight hits in five innings in his second start of the year. Over his next two outings, Biddle issued nine walks in 6 2/3 innings, giving up eight hits and seven earned runs to go with them. After four starts, he was 0-3, 7.16.

"I think early on, he was trying to feel for his way around the mound a little bit," Lakewood manager Chris Truby said. "The last couple of months, he's been really aggressive and going after guys and really letting the ball go a little bit better."

Biddle's turnaround began when he allowed one run on four his in five innings on May 2 against Savannah. Two weeks later, he tossed six scoreless innings and struck out eight against Delmarva, and the snowball has just gotten bigger from there. Biddle hasn't allowed more than three earned runs in any of his 12 starts since then. He owns a 2.46 ERA in 91 innings since May 1, the fourth-best mark in the SAL over that stretch.

Everything starts with the fastball for Biddle, a plus offering from the left side sitting in the low 90s and touching 94 mph. Add in some tailing action and the downhill angle he generates from his 6-foot-4 frame, and tt's a weapon most low Class A hitters won't be able to handle. For the season, Biddle ranks third in the SAL with 106 strikeouts in 108 innings.

As good as his fastball is, it doesn't mean much if you can't command it, and that's the main difference between the April version of Biddle and the pitcher the BlueClaws have been seeing lately.

"Once he got to the point where (his fastball command) is more consistent, where he is now," Truby said, "it opens up the door for his curveball and his changeup, which have gotten better."

Biddle has utilized both a slider and curveball previously, but he's stuck with the curveball with Lakewood. The curve has been Biddle's knockout pitch, an 11-to-5 breaker that's gotten more consistent as the season's progressed. Meanwhile, his changeup has some slight sinking action and has been a big part of his success against success righthanded hitters, who he's held to a .218 average, even better than the .233 average lefty hitters have put up against him.

"When he commands his fastball, he's got that breaking ball that he gets guys to chase, he gets it for called strikes," Truby said. "It's a tough pitch, a swing-and-miss pitch."

Biddle gave up eight hits in six innings against Augusta on Tuesday, matching the highest hit total an opponent has had against him all year, though he still limited the GreenJackets to three runs in six innings. Biddle took a no decision, a familiar refrain for him as Lakewood's sputtering offense is the main culprit behind his modest 5-6 record to go with his overall 3.18 ERA. He has just two wins in his last eight starts despite not surrendering more than three runs in any of them, though he also hasn't been saddled with a loss since June 9.

"He comes to the ballpark every day and he wants to get better," Truby said, "and he's ready to work, whether it be his running, his bullpen sessions, in between starts when he's listening to game situations. He's a worker.

"Going through the first full season is tough for any kid, especially being a first-round pick with some expectations—in his own mind, too—but he's come out every day and worked and gotten better from day one."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    that reminds me. you see this? beeeeeeautiful :clap::clap: :

Broad Street bests Broadway — again

By MIKE VACCARO

Last Updated: 9:53 AM, July 30, 2011

Posted: 3:53 AM, July 30, 2011

Remember when Philadelphia was that quaint town sitting on the other side of the Turnpike, non-threatening the way a younger cousin is non-threatening? Philly was the Big Five, and a cool basketball building called the Palestra, and not so long ago was 100 consecutive seasons in the four major sports without a title, between the ’83 Sixers and the ’08 Phillies.

Philly was the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and artery-clogging cheesesteaks and salty pretzels.

Philly was Rocky Balboa and Hall & Oates. Philly was the whiners from “thirtysomething” and the spooky cops from “Cold Case” and Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington teaming up to beat the hell out of Jason Robards and Mary Steenburgen.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

It was hard to work up a good hatred for Philly. The Phillies were the first team to ever lose 10,000 baseball games. The Eagles were always good for a January swoon. The Sixers? Sure, they stole Dr. J away from us, but the last time the Knicks won an NBA championship, the Sixers went 9-73. That’s NINE and SEVENTY-THREE. In a baseball season, that’s 18-144. That makes the ’62 Mets look like the ’27 Yankees.

Boston was our backyard beast. Boston was our neighborhood rival.

Philly?

Other than Rangers fans who have detested the Flyers ever since the old Broad Street Bullies days, did you ever even harbor a mild dislike for Philadelphia even five years ago? The Mets had plenty of other rivals through the years: the Braves, the Cardinals, the Cubs, the Pirates. Chuck Bednarik may have famously laid out Frank Gifford, but Giants fans always got far more riled up for the Cowboys. The Knicks had rotating wars with the Bulls and the Heat and the Pacers and even the Celtics once upon a time. The 76ers were an afterthought.

And now?

Now Philadelphia is Michael Corleone, underestimated for so long, who in December came out of the bathroom blasting away and hustled Cliff Lee away from the Yankees, who yesterday announced it had “settled all family business” by getting Nnamdi Asomugha to sign his mellifluous collection of vowels and consonants to the bottom of a contract, stealing him clear away from the Jets.

It caps four years of relentless smackdowns and beatdowns (save for the Yankees’ defiant refusal to let the Phillies repeat in 2009), which began in ’07 when the Phillies erased a 71⁄2-game Mets lead in the NL East in the bare space of 17 days, which continued on the last day of the 2010 NHL season when the Flyers beat the Rangers for the last spot in that season’s playoffs, which raged out of control when the Eagles made that impossible comeback on the Giants last season at the Meadowlands.

The perverse beauty of the Asomugha deal, of course, is the same thing that made the Lee signing so delicious for Philly. Not only did Philly outwit and outmaneuver the big wallets of New York and the big swagger of Dallas both times, but by adding both the star southpaw and the standout corner it not only hurt the New York team they beat directly for their services — the Yankees and the Jets — it also badly battered the other teams in town — the Mets and the Giants — who now have to deal with monsters inside their own divisions for years to come.

It’s staggering. It’s astonishing. Broad Street prevails over Broadway, Geno’s reins over Katz’s, Independence Hall rules over Radio City Music Hall. How did this happen? How could this happen? Well, give a New Yorker truth serum this morning and even he would have to admit:

Well played, Philly.

Well played.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/bro ... z1TckPUrcM
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    pats > genos

:P

two words 08 patriots

it's not as easy as it looks, but philly should be there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    pats > genos

two words 08 patriots

pats is horrendous. there are a lot better places than either of those 2 in and around the city.

08 patriots? that's the year brady went down in week 1. i don't get it.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    It's pretty amusing how much Philly people are concerned with new York, it's like they aren't even happy for themselves when something good happens, just that they got something new York didn't or some shit

Edit: just realized it was vaccaro who wrote that, my point still stands though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's pretty amusing how much Philly people are concerned with new York, it's like they aren't even happy for themselves when something good happens, just that they got something new York didn't or some shit

the article was from the ny post written by a ny writer. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It blows my mind how they need to try and be better than new York.. :mrgreen:

All the lees and corner backs aren't gonna make it happen guys

Makes me even prouder to be a new yorker :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:

not all of us.

I could give two fucks about the jets or yankees
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    pats > genos

two words 08 patriots

pats is horrendous. there are a lot better places than either of those 2 in and around the city.

whatever year they went 16-0 during the season only to lose in the super bowl. you get the point
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

All the lees and corner backs aren't gonna make it happen guys

Makes me even prouder to be a new yorker :lol:

as cliff's edit, and the article itself points out; this was written by a new york writer and appeared in the new york post.

...but i wonder if you feel the same way about los angeles when someone rips the lakers? :o ZING! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:

not all of us.

As you should be...both teams can only meet in the championships...
    But their are some on here..ahem...that think sports teams make one place bigger and better than another
    Not gonna happen..I loved Philly the 5 days I was there..but it's nowhere near what NYC is
    Granted NYC isn't for everyone ..

By the way ..yanks won the 09 series ;) just saying ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    pats > genos

two words 08 patriots

whatever year they went 16-0 during the season only to lose in the super bowl. you get the point

gotcha. that was '07. i don't think the birds are going undefeated this year though. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

:

not all of us.

But their are some on here..ahem...that think sports teams make one place bigger and better than another
    Not gonna happen..I loved Philly the 5 days I was there..but it's nowhere near what NYC is

who thinks sports teams make a place bigger and better than another? :? who has said that?

by seemingly everyone's accounts, you're the only one who continually hypes up his city as the best place in the universe more than anyone else (as evidenced by your post right here i might add).

i think you're a lil bitter. just a lil bit. ;):lol:
    www.myspace.com
    I read the article in the post today jeags ..I know

As for Los angles ...not my cup of tea town wise

I root for the team..not the city
    I read the article in the post today jeags ..I know

As for Los angles ...not my cup of tea town wise

I root for the team..not the city

fraudul.....eh, we've been through this :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    I will never be bitter about a millionaire athlete going to play somewhere other than ny

It's their choice..god bless

Like I said NYC isn't for everyone

And yes I do love my town and pump it up....but I did not invent the " greatest city in the world " phrase..although it is 8-)
    Fuck all you all...I'm going back in the pool ;)
    The Fixer wrote:

:

not all of us.

No city is NYC dude. Best city on the planet

Philly is great, but there's no comparison.

I'm off to dinner in philly now. tons of great spots to eat. Then hitting up the bars to celebrate all of the good news of the week....and to watch hunter pence and the boys
    I will never be bitter about a millionaire athlete going to play somewhere other than ny

And yes I do love my town and pump it up....but I did not invent the " greatest city in the world " phrase..although it is 8-)

honestly, you couldn't pay me to live in nyc. so it definitely isn't for me. to each his own. it's all subjective. i was in dc last night. love that town. there's tons of cool cities in this country.

and don't worry about nmamdi taking less money to play in philly dude. ny isn't for him either ;) . donald strickland is a decent fall back plan :lol: ......seriously though, i think they may try to resign cromartie. jets corners will be fine.
    www.myspace.com

honestly, you couldn't pay me to live in nyc. so it definitely isn't for me. to each his own. it's all subjective. i was in dc last night. love that town. there's tons of cool cities in this country.

dc is a good time. nyc shits on it though. I wish I would have moved right to nyc when I graduated college. for a single person that is my idea of heaven

just got tix to see the phils down in dc in a couple of weeks.
    The Fixer wrote:

dc is a good time. nyc shits on it though. I wish I would have moved right to nyc when I graduated college. for a single person that is my idea of heaven

just got tix to see the phils down in dc in a couple of weeks.

like i said, it's all subjective. nyc is cool to visit, i would never want to live there though. not for me.

we're going to the nats game too. the saturday game.
    www.myspace.com
    Certain towns aren't for everyone...hence we all live in different cities...duh :lol:

Although it's safe to say we enjoy the northeast vibe

And if you were born in NYC or I was born in Philly..we would think differently

Thank god it worked out for me ;)

we're going to the nats game too. the saturday game.

we got tix for friday night. homos are trying to convince me to stay and go saturday too, but I think I'm just gonna do one night. Heading to AC for a night with college friends in a couple weeks, then PJ20 is a few weeks away, and I am trying to build a bankroll for football gambling season. and I am finding out that this kid isn't going to be cheap. so yeah, I think I'm just going friday.

alright ladies, play nice in here tonight. I'm going to dinner and then to get bombed :thumbup:
    Certain towns aren't for everyone...hence we all live in different cities...duh :lol:

if i was born in nyc, i can assure you i wouldn't be a lakers fan.... :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com

if i was born in nyc, i can assure you i wouldn't be a lakers fan.... :mrgreen:

No you would be a sucker Knicks fan.... :lol:
    Instead of a sucker sixers fan :o

Either way you would be screwed with the NBA :mrgreen:
    BOOM.
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    BOOM.
    Pointless RBI!!!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    he was safe. love that charlie argued that one
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    BOOM.