Options

What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• Options
    TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    edited August 2018

Went to an advance screening of this...lots of twists and endless action. Iko Uwais did a great job, my only complaint is that Ronda Rousey didn't have a bigger role.
    Post edited by TFlyer on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    The Ballad of Lefty Brown
    I always like a decent Western and I enjoyed this.  Not the best, but enjoyable.
    Ha! Great title. :cowboy:
  • Options
    I always like a decent Western and I enjoyed this.  Not the best, but enjoyable.
    Watched this one a while ago, it had the makings of a good movie but I thought that it fell short of it's full potential. 
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Manhunter (1986)
    Great movie
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    TFlyer said:
    Watched this one a while ago, it had the makings of a good movie but I thought that it fell short of it's full potential. 
    Agree -- wanted him to go full William H Munny at the end.  We got there but there are not many movies (IMO) that can touch the way that Unforgiven wrapped things up.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    The Last Samurai

Not usually a fan of Cruise, but this may be my favourite of his movies that I've seen (it's that or the cheesefest that is Top Gun, lol).  Samurai was good enough that the couple cheesy moments didn't bother me, just disappointed I didn't watch this sooner.  The battle scenes were especially good, pre-cgi armies, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,277
    This Is Where I Leave You (2014)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The Last Samurai

Not usually a fan of Cruise, but this may be my favourite of his movies that I've seen (it's that or the cheesefest that is Top Gun, lol).  Samurai was good enough that the couple cheesy moments didn't bother me, just disappointed I didn't watch this sooner.  The battle scenes were especially good, pre-cgi armies, lol.
    My favorite TC starring movie.  He has been in other movies that I may like more but this is the one I have watched the most times.

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    The Last Samurai

My favorite TC starring movie.  He has been in other movies that I may like more but this is the one I have watched the most times.

The other standout of that movie was Ken Watanabe, I thought.  Going to give it a second watch before I return my buddy's borrowed copy, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
  • Options
    I love the last samurai...now I'm going to have to give it a re-watch.

Someone gave me a really nice replica of the katana with the "Since ancient times to the present, God is with those who serve with dignity and honor" engraving on it at one point actually. 
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Return of the Living Dead(1985)
    Classic.
    "Send more paramedics"
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    The Grey - a hugely under rated film, in my opinion. One of my favourites and surely one of Neeson's finest.

if uplifting is what you are looking for, look elsewhere
  • Options
    Riding Giants (2004)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    BlacKkKlansman

Really good, highly recommend.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,776
    Three Billboards . . .watched it in Seattle at friends house during my Home show trip, had no idea what it was about. It was disturbing and heart wrenching.  One that will stay with me for awhile. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    BlacKkKlansman

Just saw this as well.

Fucking awesome
    Will get lots of well deserved nominations 

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    BlacKkKlansman

Just saw this as well.

Fucking awesome

yeah went from pretty funny and laughing to pretty depressing towards the end.

Didn't know that was Denzel's son.  Also I had know idea that Steve Buscemi had a brother who acted (I thought it was Steve at first
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The Glamour & The Squalor (2015)
  • Options
    BlacKkKlansman

Just saw this as well.

Fucking awesome

yeah went from pretty funny and laughing to pretty depressing towards the end.

Didn't know that was Denzel's son.  Also I had know idea that Steve Buscemi had a brother who acted (I thought it was Steve at first
    Washington is great on the HBO show, Ballers
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Like Father (Netflix Original)

Meh. It had its moments. Kelsey Grammar is very good in it. But it has one of the cheesiest last 15 minutes ever.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,287
    Suburbicon - should have been a lot better given it's a Coen Brothers script

Greatest Showman - pretty good popcorn flick
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

I preferred the theatrical cut honestly, some of the music changes were a little off imo and they actually removed one of my favourite jokes. 
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    Saratoga (1937) with Jean Harlow and Clark Gable.

The Avengers: Infinity War
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Fletch, still holds up. One of my favorites.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

...this was bad, I had to turn it off. Between the obnoxious kid actors and the horrible cgi I just couldn't do it...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Last night we watch The Last Movie Star.  I haven't been a huge Burt Reynolds fan but this film totally changed that.  It's basically a fictionalized film biography of Burt Reynolds playing himself.  I was blown away by this movie.  In the extras, director/ screen writer Adam Rifkin talks about how when they were filming a scene where the Reynolds character goes to meet his first wife who who he hasn't seen in many years and who now has Alzheimer's and he apologizes to her for all the mistakes he made in his life, that not a single person on the film crew wasn't crying while they were filming that scene. That really got to me.  There are other scenes that brought tears to my eyes as well.  An amazing film.

Oh, and Chevy Chase is in it too and he is marvelous!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Return of the Living Dead(1985)
    Classic.
    "Send more paramedics"
    Image result for tarman return of the living dead gif
    San Francisco, CA 05/15/92 07/16/06
    Mountain View, CA 07/18/92 10/02/94 10/31/00 06/01/03 10/26/03
    San Jose, CA 10/30/93 11/04/95
    Sacramento,CA 07/16/98
    Knoxville, TN 09/06/98
    Oakland, CA 11/26/13  05/12/22
    Seattle, WA 08/10/18

• Options
    JK_Livin said:
    Fletch, still holds up. One of my favorites.
    Went to Vegas about 15 years ago. Went out and got really hammered and then took the monorail back to Mandalay Bay. I probably couldn't have recited the alphabet, but another guy on there and I were quoting Fletch nonstop.
    San Francisco, CA 05/15/92 07/16/06
    Mountain View, CA 07/18/92 10/02/94 10/31/00 06/01/03 10/26/03
    San Jose, CA 10/30/93 11/04/95
    Sacramento,CA 07/16/98
    Knoxville, TN 09/06/98
    Oakland, CA 11/26/13  05/12/22
    Seattle, WA 08/10/18

• Options

great rock n roll road film, lots of funny moments and a hilarious cast...

...coming from someone who regularly watches horror, the gore level in this one is off the charts :rofl: