What did you do with your kids? :o

Comments

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Get_Right wrote:
    tried everything
    even the light slap on the hands is a last resort
    when I held him he though it was a game

I honestly believe there needs to be some other sensory association to go along with the NO when they are too young to understand groups of words

just like a hug or a high five needs to go along with "good job" or "good boy"

words just dont mean as much to younger children
    I respectfully disagree about words not meaning much to a small child.
    Mine gets extremely upset if he knows that he upset mommy.
    I have slapped his hand and that hurts his feelings more than hurts him physically as I obviously wouldn't slap him hard.
    And when I am upset with him, I sit down and talk to him about it.
    He just turned 3 and has sat on his time out stool 2 times. :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Slip Kid wrote:
    Yeah ok buddy, farting is wrong?

Did your parents let you fart at the dinner table? Yeah, plenty of parents feel it's wrong.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Did your parents let you fart at the dinner table?

Only if I lifted a cheek and made the arm gesture of pulling on a train whistle. ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Did your parents let you fart at the dinner table? Yeah, plenty of parents feel it's wrong.
    Holden excuses himself when he farts. :p
    And he will excuse others, as well.
    He knows it is a normal bodily function.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    dunkman wrote:
    i got 2... both never been spanked nor will they be.

both are awesome and solve world hunger in their spare time.

fair enough
    but you should respect the decisions other people make with respect their kids

each kid is different and requires different types of discipline

and if you read the dialog carefully, youd see we are not talking about spanking
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

HAHAHA! I can't tell you how much delight I got from reading that! heehee.

:D
  • Options
    I don't know. *looks around* They were here a second ago. Hey, I thought you said you were taking them. Kids!?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    when my kids pulled No-No's I sold them to the gypsies. you know the very next day those gypsies would leave them back on my front doorstep....

fucking gypsies ;):D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    fair enough

and if you read the dialog carefully, youd see we are not talking about spanking

He knows! He was the first to answer!
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175

uptight ones.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Holden excuses himself when he farts. :p
    And he will excuse others, as well.
    He knows it is a normal bodily function.

little kids don't fart. they say "i dropped a fluffy" or "so and so dropped a fluffy" :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

If and when I have kids, I want the type which doesn't require spanking. :D

• Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I respectfully disagree about words not meaning much to a small child.
    Mine gets extremely upset if he knows that he upset mommy.
    I have slapped his hand and that hurts his feelings more than hurts him physically as I obviously wouldn't slap him hard.
    And when I am upset with him, I sit down and talk to him about it.
    He just turned 3 and has sat on his time out stool 2 times. :)

I knew youd chime in on that

Im talking about younger ages, when they still dont quite understand
    like 1.5-2

Now I can talk to my boy, but not a year ago
    His physical abilities advanced much much faster than his language
  • Options
    Slip Kid wrote:
    uptight ones.

Mine ;)

• Options

well I hope they are little princes and princesses
  • Options

Same here. :confused:

I only just learnt today that he's just like me and (bf). He's so stubborn. :D
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Get_Right wrote:
    fair enough

i was 1st to reply one this thread and it was with good common sense.. unlike the non-parents who have replied and stated nothing wrong with spanking them... how would they know? they dont have kids. :confused:

i dont do respect.. its overrated. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Get_Right wrote:
    fair enough

Hi there :)

I think if the issue is age, simply removing the child from the occasion of misbehavior is enough. No corporal punishment of any kind necessary.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

i dont do respect.. its overrated. ;)

fair enough
    thats funny
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Get_Right wrote:
    I honestly believe there needs to be some other sensory association to go along with the NO when they are too young to understand groups of words
    No then remove the child from the 'temptation'. If need be, time out wherever one chooses.
    Get_Right wrote:
    words just dont mean as much to younger children
    You are underestimating the intelligence and acumen of young children.
    Get_Right wrote:
    like 1.5-2
    Children are more or less fluent by age 2. I know some more than others but nevertheless fluent.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    my boy had a problem with hitting and kicking

I'm not surprised. Look where he got it from.

Everyone knows fighting fire with fire doesn't work.

• Options
    dunkman wrote:

both are awesome and solve world hunger in their spare time.

unless in their future...*FWAP* :D

:eek: what??? oh GROSS!!!

(sorry but i kinda had to it's some sort of weird posting rule. rule 234 b states quite clearly that when Dunkman makes a statement about spanking - no matter how innocently someone had to give a bit of nipple pinch/spanky action in a post...it's not me, Dunkman, dude it's this system of rules.)

and now back to something completely different: the topic on hand - which is NOT spanking actually - it's MCKB's little kid who doesn't like to hear NO when he goes for the rubbish bin...:D :D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    No age is too young to start conditioning your child.

I wouldn't recommend using something good as punishment. Actually, I wouldn't suggest punishment, per se. You just want to use a suppression mechanism. I suppose you could call that punishment, but don't do it with malice. Just be firm.

Statistically, the following Authoritative type of parenting produces the best results.

This is characterized by high expectations of compliance to parental rules and directions, an open dialogue about those rules and behaviors, and a child-centered approach characterized by warm, positive affect. Authoritative parents encourage the child to be independent. Authoritative parents are not usually controlling allowing the child to explore more freely.[2] Authoritative parents are strict, demands obedience, but when punishing a child, the parent will always explain his or her motive for their punishment.[3] The resulting children have a higher self esteem, are independent, and happy. Children who are subject to this kind of parenting may debate with their parents and may form their own seemingly logical opinions in order to justify their disobedience.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    unless in their future...*FWAP*
    what??? oh GROSS!!!

(sorry but i kinda had to it's some sort of weird posting rule. rule 234 b states quite clearly that when Dunkman makes a statement about spanking - no matter how innocently someone had to give a bit of nipple pinch/spanky action in a post...it's not me, Dunkman, dude it's this system of rules.)

and now back to something completely different: the topic on hand - which is NOT spanking actually - it's MCKB's little kid who doesn't like to hear NO when he goes for the rubbish bin...:D :D

Carry on... don't mind me... I'm just the thread starter... :mad:

;)
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    I knew youd chime in on that

like 1.5-2

Now I can talk to my boy, but not a year ago
    His physical abilities advanced much much faster than his language
    Have I become that predictable to you....sigh
    You said the romance would never go away. :(
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    No age is too young to start conditioning your child.

I wouldn't recommend using something good as punishment. Actually, I wouldn't suggest punishment, per se. You just want to use a suppression mechanism. I suppose you could call that punishment, but don't do it with malice. Just be firm.

Statistically, the following Authoritative type of parenting produces the best results.

This is characterized by high expectations of compliance to parental rules and directions, an open dialogue about those rules and behaviors, and a child-centered approach characterized by warm, positive affect. Authoritative parents encourage the child to be independent. Authoritative parents are not usually controlling allowing the child to explore more freely.[2] Authoritative parents are strict, demands obedience, but when punishing a child, the parent will always explain his or her motive for their punishment.[3] The resulting children have a higher self esteem, are independent, and happy. Children who are subject to this kind of parenting may debate with their parents and may form their own seemingly logical opinions in order to justify their disobedience.
    I posted somethin like that only wiffout the textbook...:p

you might want to post the definitions for the permissive types and the Authoritative types since the second one was referenced and the first would be a good comparison basis.

IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    Carry on... don't mind me... I'm just the thread starter... :mad:

;)

awww princess flower lotus blossom of lovuleyness! ¿Qué quieres? :p

I wanted to return back to the topic - and that is your kid...btw how is the bin/no vortex of stubborn doin???

keep at it - tiresome and seemingly futile the payoff is a kid that can and will respond to your statements and trust your decisions and judgments...besides when you "divert" hi and join him in a play/game/experience he will like that better than trying for soggy bits from the bin!!

GOOD LUCK Sweets!
    (I totally got your sarcasm there too - so I wasnt offended, I just wanted to do a little pandering..i am in such a fwunky fwunky floooopth mood! ) :p
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I posted somethin like that only wiffout the textbook...:p

you might want to post the definitions for the permissive types and the Authoritative types since the second one was referenced and the first would be a good comparison basis.

Good idea.

Authoritarian
    This style is characterized by high expectations of conformity and compliance to parental rules and directions. Authoritarian parents expect much of their child but do not explain the rules at all, unlike the Authoritative parent.[4] Authoritarian parents are most likely to hit a child as a form of punishment instead of grounding a child.[5] The resulting children from this type of parenting lack social competence as the parent generally predicts what the child should do instead of allowing the child to choose by him or herself.[6] The children also rarely take initiatives. They are socially withdrawn and look to others to decide what's right. These children lack spontaneity and lack curiosity.[7]

Permissive
    This parenting style is a warm,but lax pattern of parenting in which adults make relatively few demands and permit their children to freely express their feelings and impulses. Few rules;few demands They do not closely monitor their children's activity and rarely exert firm control over their behavior. Usually non-punitive. These children tend to be more selfish, impulsive, insecure and low achievers. They tend to lack in social responsibility.[citation needed]

Neglectful
    Neglectful parenting, also known as neglectful or nonconformist parenting, is similar to permissive parenting but the parent does not care much about the child. The parents are generally not involved in their child's life, but will provide basic needs for the child.[8]

This is from wikipedia. It's on target, though I'm positive Diana Baumrind only had three classifications with Permissive and Neglectful being the same category. I do like this new distinction though.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    No then remove the child from the 'temptation'. If need be, time out wherever one chooses.

remove the hands and feet? Im am sorry but you seem to have not read the entire discussion

redrock wrote:
    You are underestimating the intelligence and acumen of young children.

I am not underestimating the intelligence of my child at the developmental stage I was discussing
    redrock wrote:
    Children are more or less fluent by age 2. I know some more than others but nevertheless fluent.

wrong again and slower for boys. In my paricular case, my son speaks two languages, so, the development is taking a bit longer.

We are not talking about spanking
    You idealists have never dealt with a an active boy, that much is clear.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised. Look where he got it from.

Everyone knows fighting fire with fire doesn't work.

the hitting and kicking came way before-c'mon people-read what Im saying instead of generalizing

and the light slap on the wrist or the feet (certainlly not to the point of crying), or holding him down so he couldnt kick WHILE SPEAKING CLEARLY worked perfectly

and this was well before he was FLUENT

I believe our resident expert even confirmed this as an effective method

A few too many idealists. You know its like being vegetarian, there are many different levels. Its not an all or none rule.

Im sure none of you had to use a little physical restraint to hold them still while changing a diaper or trying to get them dressed.