Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Comments

• bye bye Raycroft
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • for how long has harry neale been doing leaf games on tsn? i always thought he only did the saturday night cbc games..

what do leaf fans think of him?
  • for how long has harry neale been doing leaf games on tsn? i always thought he only did the saturday night cbc games..

what do leaf fans think of him?

He does it on most telecasts. He isn't exclusive for CBC.
    He's been doing it as long as I can remember and I'm 32.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    ny Pj1 wrote:
    their Will 18,200 Rooting Against Them Tonight

And It Was A Party At Msg

See Ya

Let's Go Ranger's
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well no bandwagon jumpers welcome, this is for the die-hard Leafs fan who beleaf we still have a shot at the playoffs.

we will take it this year.
    its ok
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Well im a little sad this morning, but we still have 3 games left(Phi, NYI, Mtl)and i hope the Canadiens are ready for Saturday cause it might just come down to it.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well im a little sad this morning, but we still have 3 games left(Phi, NYI, Mtl)and i hope the Canadiens are ready for Saturday cause it might just come down to it.
    Me too. If it comes down to Saturday, we have to beat them in regulation. So if it's tied going into the third, the Canadians can go into Time kill mode. HUGE advantage for them!!!!!
    Me too. If it comes down to Saturday, we have to beat them in regulation. So if it's tied going into the third, the Canadians can go into Time kill mode. HUGE advantage for them!!!!!
    But are advantage is that we are at home and have won 7 straight there.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    kenshunt wrote:
    But are advantage is that we are at home and have won 7 straight there.

home or not I do NOT want the season ending on a shootout with that deciding the playoffs, doubly so because we suck at them
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    home or not I do NOT want the season ending on a shootout with that deciding the playoffs, doubly so because we suck at them

What scares me is the last 2 times we played Montreal at home it went into either overtime or a shootout.
  • I love the Leafs, however, watching the play the against Carolina sucks every time.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    Well i don't really like to jump ahead, cause the Leafs still have to beat Phi,NYI, then Mtl to get in, so they need a 3 game win streak to get in, and maybe have to beat mtl in regulation to.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    I love the Leafs, however, watching the play the against Carolina sucks every time.
    pardon, i don't know what your sayin sorry.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • kenshunt wrote:

Canes: "Hey Toronto you want these back" (...hands asses to original owners)
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    I guess im simply slow today, is this in reference to Carolina beating the Leafs in the playoffs, then them losing to Detroit in the finals?
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    kenshunt wrote:

rough translation :

Aubin and Avery
    [size=+3] - _/ _/ _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ \_ \_ - [/size]
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Hehe Bath
    Tue Apr 3, 2007
    Sabres Penguins 7:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM VERSUS (HD) PREVIEW
    Panthers Capitals 7:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM CSN-W (HD) PREVIEW
    Flyers Maple Leafs 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM CSN-P TSN PREVIEW
    Bruins Canadiens 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM RDS NESN (HD) PREVIEW
    Senators Devils 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM PPV FSNY2 PREVIEW
    Rangers Islanders 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM MSG FSNY PREVIEW
    Hurricanes Lightning 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM FSS (HD) SUN (HD) PREVIEW
    Blue Jackets Red Wings 7:30 PM ET
    7:30 PM FSO FSD (HD) PREVIEW
    Blackhawks Predators 8:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM CSN-C FSS PREVIEW
    Oilers Wild 8:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM SNET-W KSTC PREVIEW
    Avalanche Flames 9:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM ALT2 PPV PREVIEW
    Kings Canucks 10:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM PRIME SNET-P PREVIEW
    Blues Coyotes 10:00 PM ET
    7:00 PM FSMW FSA PREVIEW
    Lets go Bruins, Lets go Lightning, and of Course GO LEAFS GO
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Apr 03, 2007 04:30 AM
    Kevin McGran
    SPORTS REPORTER

By the time this week is over, the Maple Leafs will either be preparing for the first round of the playoffs, or their first round of golf.

Holding the key to their future is the enigma in net: Andrew Raycroft.

He's not exactly beloved by Leaf Nation. Booed lustily in a 6-1 loss to Vancouver on Jan. 13, it's fair to say Raycroft hasn't earned the trust of the 19,000-plus goalie coaches in attendance at each Leaf home game.

Indeed, there's angst in the air when the other team's top snipers, say Daniel Briere, Dany Heatley or Sidney Crosby, have the puck and the Leafs are hanging on to a lead in yet another "must-win" game.

Yet if the Leafs make the playoffs, the reason will be Raycroft. Because following every collapse, he – like the team in front of him – has been able to rebound.

"He came in and proved doubters wrong with character, with resiliency and with durability and his ability to win games," Leaf goaltending coach Steve McKichan said yesterday. "That's all you can ask, give you a chance to win. And he's done that on 36 occasions."

That loss to Vancouver was followed by a pair of wins in Tampa and Florida, perhaps his best performance. A humiliating 8-2 loss to Pittsburgh on Jan. 20 was followed by a five-game win streak that got the Leafs back into playoff contention.

Then there was the matter of blowing a 4-1 lead in Buffalo on March 23, to lose 5-4. They followed that up with a 4-1 win over the Sabres the next night.

"I think we proved last week we can bounce back," Raycroft said after the Rangers game. "We have to now, we don't have a choice. It's not easy at all, we're going to have to be as focused as ever.

"But this is why we play – it's the most exciting time of the year. The way it is going now you can predict it will go down to the last week. But it's fun, it's what you play for."

He's sure to be back in net tonight, having put his embarrassing performance in New York out of his mind. He gave up four goals on 16 shots and was pulled for the fifth time since Jan. 20.

"He has the ability to compartmentalize the game into what's happening right now," McKichan said. "His mindset going into the game will be no different than if he was first star in Manhattan or whether he got yanked.

"He won't be going into this game feeling any more pressure or any less pressure, or on a high or on a low. It's just another game. That's been our mantra all year. It's just another game, just keep playing well. He has that mental focus, not to worry about the past or the future."

It seems inevitable that Raycroft will own the Leaf record for most season wins by a goalie.

Raycroft has 36 heading into tonight's game against the Philadelphia Flyers. Ed Belfour set the record at 37.

Leaf GM John Ferguson Jr. traded for Raycroft in a risky move, giving up a top netminding prospect Tuukka Rask to sign Raycroft to a three-year, $6 million contract after a season in which he fell out of favour with the Boston Bruins.

Raycroft's backers will point to his positive numbers: fourth in games-played (69), tied for seventh in total wins (36) and 10th in total saves at 1,665.

"Relatively speaking, he's a baby when it comes to goaltending as far as his development," said McKichan. "He's basically in his third year in the NHL. He's done amazing things. At his price point in the salary cap, which at 36 wins at the price we pay him per season, is probably the best value in the NHL.

"When you look at goalies, you'll see historically these guys established themselves as solid NHLers in years four, five, six, seven, eight.

"That's where you see it really happen. I expect great things from Andrew."
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Like it or not, Raycroft key to Leafs' shot at playoffs

NYR ran him off after 4
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    NYR ran him off after 4
    ya on the 16 of december, 8 goals lundqvist 16 saves 24 shots, but ya goalies do have bad games, but henrik is a better goalie ill give you that.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    bump...cause im leaving shortly to watch the game and eat dinner, so people can comment on the big game

Go Leafs Go
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    I guess the Leafs won last night, i believe it was three blasts from the point that ended up behind Biron, all pretty much the same goal, but hey were still alive another day.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    When the Isles bitch slap the Leaves and the Habs get by the Rangers, it will put another season in the grave.
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    When Habs get by the Rangers, it will put another season in the grave.

you had me till this part
    platessmall.jpg
    Can someone explain what this guy is saying.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    if the rangers lose both thier games and the leafs with thiers then...it would be
    7-montreal
    8-leafs
    9-rangers

I would much rather the rangers win so it's only up to us on saturday but still it's a thought
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    All I have to say is:

GO LEAFS GO!!!
    (I'm SO nervous for Saturday!)

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    All I have to say is:

GO LEAFS GO!!!
    (I'm SO nervous for Saturday!)

Peace

WORRY ABOUT TOM. FIRST
  • DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    WORRY ABOUT TOM. FIRST

I know, I know! I wasn't too worried about it, until we BARELY beat the worst team in the league and the Islanders beat the Rangers.
    And the boys do have a tendency to overlook the easier games and then get their asses handed to them...but I think after yesterday they'll come back with a much better game tomorrow.
    I really hope I don't have to shave my beard in the next couple of days...

Peace
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003