Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Comments

• kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Well the Leafs have won 4 outta 5 now, let's get the parade ready lol, fuck Fletcher looks old lol, sittin where Fergie sat.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    good job keeping the game out of o.t
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    whoops double post
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    good job keeping the game out of o.t
    Mats saved the day, i hate 3 point games, i also hate shootouts.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    kenshunt wrote:
    Mats saved the day, i hate 3 point games, i also hate shootouts.

me too, but the NHL suits will never change it unless the fans start demanding it, it allows crappy mediocre teams like the Oilers this year having an outside shot of the playoffs.

I like Bob McCowan's theory of 4-3-2-1 for wins in regulation, wins in overtime, wins in shoot-out, tied through regulation.

good win over the Caps, they were red hot of late.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    smarchee wrote:
    me too, but the NHL suits will never change it unless the fans start demanding it, it allows crappy mediocre teams like the Oilers this year having an outside shot of the playoffs.

I like Bob McCowan's theory of 4-3-2-1 for wins in regulation, wins in overtime, wins in shoot-out, tied through regulation.

good win over the Caps, they were red hot of late.
    Yeah, hopefully they come back from their dismal performance with a win tonight!
    Rygar wrote:
    Yeah, hopefully they come back from their dismal performance with a win tonight!
    Let's hope not.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Rygar wrote:
    Ovechkin must read the board!

Nasty night as far as injuries go for the Laffs.
    Rygar wrote:
    Ovechkin must read the board!

Nasty night as far as injuries go for the Laffs.
    5 nasty boarding incidents in the last 2 nights, all by Capitals, Erskine hits to to hurt, then his spear on Blake with seconds to go.Fucking felt bad for Boyce, first NHL game and separates his shoulder out 4-6, that must blow.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    5 nasty boarding incidents in the last 2 nights, all by Capitals, Erskine hits to to hurt, then his spear on Blake with seconds to go.Fucking felt bad for Boyce, first NHL game and separates his shoulder out 4-6, that must blow.
    Kind of ironic too that he's called up to replace a guy who separated his shoulder.
    I'm not for guys getting hurt, but if they gotta get injured at least injure the more useless ones (tucker, cough cough)
    Capitals 2, Maple Leafs 1

WASHINGTON (AP) - Don't look now, but the Washington Capitals entered the All-Star break only one point out of first place.

Their season seemingly kaput when coach Glen Hanlon was fired on Thanksgiving Day, the Capitals entered the long weekend by winning for the fifth time in six games. Brooks Laich and Viktor Kozlov scored, and Alex Ovechkin assisted on both goals in Thursday night's 2-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The win gave the Capitals a split of the home-and-home, back-to-back series against Toronto and moved them within a point of Southeast Division leader Carolina. Washington is the only NHL team not to lose consecutive games in regulation since Nov. 22, the day Bruce Boudreau took over for Hanlon.

"It doesn't surprise me that things are starting to snowball into success," defenseman Mike Green said. "He doesn't make it comfortable around here by any means to make us feel satisfied with what we've done. We want to keep going and making sure we're making strides."

The Capitals were the worst team in the league -- with four fewer points than any other team -- when Boudreau was summoned from AHL affiliate Hershey. Asked if he thought he'd be this close to first place so quickly, the coach said: "No, but that's where I want to be."

He paused, then added: "I want to be one point ahead."

Brent Johnson, giving Olie Kolzig a night off, made 31 saves for the Capitals as the offense that had been clicking so well struggled for the second consecutive night. Ovechkin had his six-game goal-scoring streak snapped, but he still leads the league with 38 goals and his two assists give him 13 points in his last seven games.

"They out-skated us," Boudreau said. "Our goalie won us the game. We were very opportunistic."

Boyd Devereaux scored for the Maple Leafs, who lost two more players to shoulder injuries.

On Wednesday, Alexei Ponikarovsky dislocated his right shoulder when he was rammed into the boards by Capitals defenseman Steve Eminger. Ponikarovsky will be out for six weeks.

On Thursday, both Alex Steen and Darryl Boyce were injured. Steen was knocked into the boards by Milan Jurcina in the first period, and Boyce crashed into the boards after catching a rut in the ice in the second period.

Coach Paul Maurice said Steen was day-to-day but would miss the first game after the All-Star break. Maurice said Boyce had an injury similar to Ponikarovsky's. Both will be re-evaluated when they get back to Toronto.

"We're seeing a more physical brand of hockey being allowed in the game," Maurice said. "I don't necessarily have a problem with that. I prefer that we're not carrying guys off the ice for weeks at a time, but there's certainly more hitting in our game now."

The Maple Leafs are 1-1 since general manager John Ferguson was fired and replaced by Cliff Fletcher on an interim basis. Toronto has lost 11 of 13 on the road.

Laich's first-period goal, a redirect of Ovechkin's slap shot on a power play, was the only score for two periods. Devereaux tied the game on a similar play, directing Pavel Kabina's shot into the net, early in the third period.

But the Capitals needed only 36 seconds to retake the lead. Ovechkin's shot from the right circle yielded a long rebound off goaltender Vesa Toskala, and Kozlov was left uncovered in front of the net to convert.

The Maple Leafs played most of the final two minutes with a two-man advantage. Washington's David Steckel was sent off for boarding with 2:18 to play, and Toskala emptied the net with about 1:40 remaining. But the Capitals kept clearing the puck beyond the blue line, keeping Toronto from mounting a sustained attack.

"It seemed like forever," Boudreau said of the 6-on-4 advantage. "It shows character. Sometimes you need the skill guys to come through, sometimes you need the workers to come through. That's what makes teams win."

Game notes: The Capitals' streak of games without back-to-back regulation losses stands at 29, the franchise's longest since a 49-game span at the end of the 1999-00 season. ... The Capitals signed LW Donald Brashear to a one-year contract extension.

Associated Press
    Three star selections:
    1st: BRENT JOHNSON
    2nd: ALEX OVECHKIN
    3rd: TOMAS KABERLE
    Winning Goaltender:
    Brent Johnson

Losing Goaltender:
    Vesa Toskala
    http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?gameNumber=745&gameType=2&page=Recap&season=20072008&service=page
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    heard on the Fan that 18 scouts representing 16 NHL teams were at the Leafs game Tuesday night....

where the eagles scouting the carcas ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    heard on the Fan that 18 scouts representing 16 NHL teams were at the Leafs game Tuesday night....

where the eagles scouting the carcas ?
    hahahaha
    Sundin says he isn't waiving his no-trade clause (Hello big money!)
    Rygar wrote:
    hahahaha
    Sundin says he isn't waiving his no-trade clause (Hello big money!)
    It's pretty selfish of Mats, i mean the Leafs could get prospects and a 1st rounder for him, he can do like Reechi and Weight re-sign with the team the following season.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    kenshunt wrote:
    It's pretty selfish of Mats, i mean the Leafs could get prospects and a 1st rounder for him, he can do like Reechi and Weight re-sign with the team the following season.

I agree, look what the Flyers managed to get for a one legged Forsberg

They might not get that much back, but something is better than nothing !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    So who enjoyed that joke of a reff show last night, fuck the Toronto offices couldn't even get it right, 2 highstick goals by the Canes, a goal by Blake that should have counted taken away, a pathetic call in overtime, if i was Antropov i woulda threw my stick alot harder at the offical :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Did you enjoy the Frankenleaf show last night? :p
    No i did not enjoy the game, but i wonder how long Antropov is gonna get for throwing his stick at the ref ?
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Leafs' Antropov suspended three games

Darren Dreger

2/1/2008 12:32:36 AM

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nik Antropov was assessed two game misconduct penalties in overtime of a 3-2 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes. The second penalty was for abuse of an official - which carries an automatic three game suspension.

With the game tied 2-2 and 2:36 left in overtime, Antropov took a costly hooking penalty. Rod Brind'Amour scored on the power play, giving the Hurricanes the win.

Witnesses at the game say it appeared Antropov left the penalty box and threw his stick at the referee following the game winning goal.

The 27-year old Antropov has played in all 53 Leafs games this season and has tallied 18 goals and 23 assists. His 41 points is second best on the Leafs, behind only captain Mats Sundin.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=228658&hubname=
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    You know things are downright shitty in Laffland when Antropov out of the lineup is a BAD thing.
    Rygar wrote:
    You know things are downright shitty in Laffland when Antropov out of the lineup is a BAD thing.
    We need bodies to play hehe, McCabe, Poni, Deveraux, Steen, Boyce, theres more ijuries than that, but i can't remember at this second, that's why we need Nik i guess.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    We need bodies to play hehe, McCabe, Poni, Deveraux, Steen, Boyce, theres more ijuries than that, but i can't remember at this second, that's why we need Nik i guess.
    He's also second in points on the team.
    uh...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??
    woohooo

great performance out there tonight

damn, would like to have seen some of this debacle

8-zilch

nice
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    I laughed myself to sleep last night, and woke up laughing. I almost feel bad, but can't stop laughing.
    I imagine Toronto will beat Montreal 8-0 tomorrow, that will make me stop laughing.
    $10 Canadian dollars says Kenny isn't showing up today.
    Rygar wrote:
    I laughed myself to sleep last night, and woke up laughing. I almost feel bad, but can't stop laughing.
    I imagine Toronto will beat Montreal 8-0 tomorrow, that will make me stop laughing.

that's assuming that a Leaf tender can post a shut-out, which also assumes the Canadians will fire less than 9 shots on net.

it's also assuming the Leafs can get 8 goals in one game, which is assuming that the Leafs forwards can play well enough as a team in the offensive zone to pass well enough and be open enough to get 8 goals, which is also assuming that the Canadiens will take 40 penalities

so won't happen
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    that's assuming that a Leaf tender can post a shut-out, which also assumes the Canadians will fire less than 9 shots on net.

it's also assuming the Leafs can get 8 goals in one game, which is assuming that the Leafs forwards can play well enough as a team in the offensive zone to pass well enough and be open enough to get 8 goals, which is also assuming that the Canadiens will take 40 penalities

so won't happen
    The Leafs could lose every game of the season 8-0 and still come out playing like the Eastern Conference All-Stars against Montreal. Drives me bonkers.
    Rygar wrote:
    The Leafs could lose every game of the season 8-0 and still come out playing like the Eastern Conference All-Stars against Montreal. Drives me bonkers.

yeah, that is true, they certainly put in a good effort against Montreal

trying to understand the psychology of this team will drive you nuts, like many a rambling Leaf fan
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    yeah, that is true, they certainly put in a good effort against Montreal

trying to understand the psychology of this team will drive you nuts, like many a rambling Leaf fan
    Pretty good advice.
    I'm printing the headline from TSN for whenever I need a laugh.