Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    even flow? wrote:
    Three in a row! First place in their sights! I am personally going to start picking garbage off of Yonge Street to get ready for the parade. The streak will hit a bump in the road when NYR is the opponent.

Even Belak scored.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Rygar wrote:
    Even Belak scored.

I wonder if Kenny is looking for "the shot" of Wade's face and the shock yet excitement that comes with scoring a goal in four seasons for his new wall paper on his computer? ;)

Kenny? Kenny?
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    I wonder if Kenny is looking for "the shot" of Wade's face and the shock yet excitement that comes with scoring a goal in four seasons for his new wall paper on his computer? ;)

Kenny? Kenny?

TSN had that angle perfectly.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    even flow? wrote:

Kenny? Kenny?
    I've never seen Belak so happy, his first goal in 143 games will do that lol, as for wall paper i don't think so, maybe toilet paper haha.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    www.anotherlongseason.com

Wade Belak, in a sign of things to come, scored his first goal in a few seasons last night to catapult the Toronto Maple Leafs into a race for first place.

After the game Belak was seen guzzling champagne out of what appeared to be a replica of the Stanley Cup.
    "We're playoff bound, baby!" he hooted to a handful of somewhat skeptical on-lookers.
    "No, is true, we win cup," Captain Mats Sundin added, as he grabbed an innocent bystander and bit them in the neck, before retiring to his coffin for the day in the back of the Leaf's dressing room.

Darcy Tucker, meanwhile, has been pacing the hallway outside the Leaf's dressing room for the last 12 hours, grinding his teeth and staring daggers at the rubber matted floor in preparation for the Rangers game tomorrow night.
    Rygar wrote:

Wade Belak, in a sign of things to come, scored his first goal in a few seasons last night to catapult the Toronto Maple Leafs into a race for first place.

After the game Belak was seen guzzling champagne out of what appeared to be a replica of the Stanley Cup.
    "We're playoff bound, baby!" he hooted to a handful of somewhat skeptical on-lookers.
    "No, is true, we win cup," Captain Mats Sundin added, as he grabbed an innocent bystander and bit them in the neck, before retiring to his coffin for the day in the back of the Leaf's dressing room.

Darcy Tucker, meanwhile, has been pacing the hallway outside the Leaf's dressing room for the last 12 hours, grinding his teeth and staring daggers at the rubber matted floor in preparation for the Rangers game tomorrow night.
    Well Avery i don't think will be playing, but im sure Tucker will get a big cheer from the Garden faithfull.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well Avery i don't think will be playing, but im sure Tucker will get a big cheer from the Garden faithfull.

Hahaha, yeah a real standing o. He should play it up to the crowd pretty good.
    (TORONTO) (CP) -- Wade Belak couldn't remember when he last scored or who it was against, but he'll never forget the goal he got to help the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Nashville Predators 3-1 on Tuesday night.

The six-foot-five hulk is better known for his willingness to drop the gloves than for his playmaking attributes.

``I was under the age of 30 anyways,'' was the 31-year-old native of Saskatoon's first response when asked if he could recalled his previous goal. ``God, I don't know when it was.

``I think Stavro was still the owner. We had that lockout, too, that screwed everything up.''

To be precise, Belak's previous NHL goal was scored on Dec. 20, 2003. Somebody wanted to know where it happened.

``I think it was in New Jersey, wasn't it?'' Belak responded.

Nope, it was at home versus Montreal.

``The Montreal Maroons,'' offered a cheeky scribe.

Belak just grinned.

The win was Toronto's third in a row and, with seven points from their last four games, the Leafs jumped past the idle Islanders and into eighth place in the East.

Belak raised his arms in jubiliation while taking a curtain call. He was the third star _ goalie Vesa Toskala was first star and captain Mats Sundin was second star _ and it was his first three-star selection since joining the Leafs in February 2001.

``It's always nice when they recognize you like that,'' said Belak. ``It was appreciated.

``I really enjoyed that. What do we get for it? It's Molson, right? Case of beer maybe.''

The brewery sponsors the monthly three-star competition that results in a Leaf getting a cheque that goes to a charity in his name.

The Leafs got all the bounces and great goaltending from Toskala to win despite being outshot 35-15.

``He stole the show,'' said Nashville captain Jason Arnott, who had 12 shots on Toskala. ``He played exceptionally well.

``We were on the wrong end of the bounces.''

Nik Antropov scored 28 seconds into the game when a long shot struck a Nashville stick and took a 90-degree carom that set him up in front of a net vacated by Chris Mason to cut an angle on the initial shot.

``They fed off the crowd early and came out flying in the first,'' said Nashville defenceman Shea Weber.

Matt Stajan had his back to the net when he took a desperate backhand swing at the puck, and it went in 1:34 of the second period.

Then it was Belak's turn. Chad Kilger blasted a long shot that struck Nashville defenceman Greg Zanon on a shoulder and knocked him down. The puck slid to Belak for an easy slider into the open side of the net at 2:48 of the third period.

``It was kind of surreal,'' said Belak. ``It hit the guy and I put it in the back door.

``I just kind of tapped it in. It happened so quick. I'm glad it's over. Bob McGill's record is safe.''

Belak had gone 143 games without an NHL goal.

``I passed Aki Berg last year so I knew it was a long way from beating Bob McGill _ probably another 100 games maybe,'' said Belak.

Belak was quick to correct anybody who might have thought he hadn't scored at all in four years. He got three while playing 20 games for the Coventry Blaze in England during the lockout.

But his NHL drought continued.

``I had pretty much given up on scoring,'' he said. ``I've been trying to keep them out of our net.''

Belak said that he was challenged to a fight by Darcy Hordichuk just before his goal.

``He called me out and I was like, `No,' and right after that we scored. I'm glad I didn't (fight).''

Weber's shot through the legs of three players ruined Toskala's shutout bid with 5:55 left. The Finnish netminder was totally screened, and that was the only way the Predators could beat him on this night.

Coach Paul Maurice has given Toskala the goaltending ball and he's running with it. The heavy workload of late agrees with him.

``Just playing,'' he said when asked why he's been so sharp. ``That's the biggest and most simple reason.

``When you get the ice time, you start to feel comfortable.''

Good goaltending isn't the only reason for the Leafs' resurgence, said Darcy Tucker.

``I don't think you can just point to one area,'' he said. ``As a team, we're playing a lot better defensively.

``I know Vesa played unbelievable in the third period when we didn't forecheck as well as we probably should have but, on the whole, we've played better as a team.

``Sometimes it takes a little bit of adversity to understand what it takes to win in this league. As a team, we're playing a lot better.''

Tucker recalled that Belak wore No. 2 back in 2003 rather than the 3 Belak now sports.

``That was great,'' he said of the goal. ``That's what builds team chemistry.

``The guys are thrilled for him. I haven't seen our bench that ecstatic in a long time.''

Belak's goal was his eighth in 407 NHL games. He came out for this next shift and drilled Marty Gelinas, and the Air Canada Centre crowd of 19,400 loved it.

Belak has been the consummate team player. He doesn't grumble when he's a healthy scratch. He sat out nine in a row before this four-game undefeated run. What he did was concentrate on being ready when he was needed, and he's come through with flying colours.

Arnott was so frustrated by Toskala in the third period that after one larcenous save he turned and stared at the Finn.

``I was like, `What do I have to do to get a break?' He just laughed.''

Arnott got another wonderful chance 90 seconds later, and Toskala again stopped him.

``If he doesn't make those saves, we're right there in the game,'' said coach Barry Trotz.

The Predators didn't like facing Toskala previously.

``We played against him in the playoffs when he was in San Jose and he's a good goalie, he's proven that,'' said Weber.

Notes: The Leafs hadn't had this few shots since taking 18 during a 3-0 win over Ottawa on Nov. 17 . . . Sundin's assist on Antropov's goal extended his record home-ice points streak from the start of the season to 16 . . . D Pavel Kubina missed a 10th game since hurting a knee Nov. 13 but hopes to be in the lineup against the Rangers in New York on Thursday . . . C Jiri Tlusty missed a fifth game since bruising a collarbone Nov. 23 . . . Nashville forward Scott Nichol sat out to start a five-game league suspension for his cross-check to the face of Montreal defenceman Patrice Brisebois last Saturday . . . Nashville, coming off wins in Ottawa and Montreal, had its previous seven games decided by one goal.

Canadian Press
    Three star selections:
    1st: VESA TOSKALA
    2nd: MATS SUNDIN
    3rd: WADE BELAK
    Winning Goaltender:
    Vesa Toskala

Losing Goaltender:
    Chris Mason
    http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Recap&seas=20072008&gtype=2&gnum=393

I had to include this as Wade Belak was a Star.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    You guys were outshot 35-15 and still won? AND Belak scored?
    Toskola remembered to charge the batteries this time I guess.
    Rygar wrote:
    You guys were outshot 35-15 and still won? AND Belak scored?
    Toskola remembered to charge the batteries this time I guess.
    He stole the show that's for sure, he made some amazing saves.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    Dec 6, 2007, 7:00 PM ET
    TV Information

Local Home:
    MSG (HD)
    Local Away:
    LEAFS TV (HD)

The Toronto Maple Leafs have waited all season for Vesa Toskala to seize control of the No. 1 goaltending job. Their patience may finally be paying off.

Toskala and the Maple Leafs look to extend a season-high three-game win streak Thursday night when they face the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

Ineffective play from Toskala and Andrew Raycroft is one of the main reasons why Toronto (11-11-6) has struggled most of this season. While Toskala has an unimpressive 2.93 goals-against average, Raycroft's is 3.50.

Toskala and his teammates, however, have put together their best stretch of the season, winning three straight by a combined 11-5 score. Toskala has been in net for all three wins, stopping 87 of 92 shots.

He made 34 saves and Tomas Kaberle set up a pair of goals Tuesday in a 3-1 victory over visiting Nashville.

"Just playing," Toskala told the Maple Leafs' official Web site when asked why he's been so sharp lately. "That's the biggest and most simple reason. When you get the ice time, you start to feel comfortable."

While Toskala's goaltending has been a big key in Toronto's improved play, right wing Darcy Tucker believes it's not the only reason.

"I don't think you can just point to one area," he said. "As a team, we're playing a lot better defensively."

Captain Mats Sundin and center Nik Antropov have continued to provide the bulk of Toronto's offense lately. Sundin has two goals and three assists in his last four games while Antropov has two goals and four assists in that same span.

Defenseman Pavel Kubina missed his 10th straight game Tuesday with an injured knee, but could be back in the Leafs' lineup Thursday. Kubina has one goal and 10 assists in 18 games this season.

The Rangers (15-10-2) hope to rebound from one of their worst games of the season - a 4-0 home loss to Carolina on Monday.

Coming off an impressive 5-2 victory at Eastern Conference-leading Ottawa on Saturday, New York was blanked for the first time since Oct. 23 at Pittsburgh.

"You'd like to think that we're sort of mature enough as a team to recognize you've got to sort of maintain some equilibrium," New York coach Tom Renney said. "Tonight it just wasn't there. There wasn't sort of that synapse between the brain and feet."

Even Henrik Lundqvist - third in the NHL with a 1.91 GAA - wasn't at his best, allowing more than three goals for only the second time in 25 appearances this season.

"We wanted to come back to New York after a good road game and play a good game," Lundqvist said. "Starting with myself, we have to play better."

Lundqvist hasn't fared particularly well in seven career starts against the Leafs, going 4-3-0 with a 3.43 GAA.

New York is 12-4-1 in its last 17 games, and hasn't lost two straight in regulation since Oct. 13-18.

Jaromir Jagr has at least one point in nine of his last 10 games against Toronto, tallying eight goals and 11 assists in that span.

The Maple Leafs are 1-0-1 this season against the Rangers, including a 4-1 victory on Oct. 27 at MSG.

Associated Press
    http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?gameNumber=407&gameType=2&page=Preview&season=20072008&service=page

Let's make it 4 in a row

GO LEAFS GO
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    When the Leafs come to New York tomorrow night, the FAN 590 reporter who is being sued by Sean Avery will not come with them . A note at the bottom of a Globe and Mail article on scoring in the NHL (a good story in its own right) says that the Rangers have refused Howard Berger credentials for the game. Bully for them. There are standards journalists have to uphold. Those standards may have been blurred in recent years by talk radio and blogs, but they remain in place, and Berger committed one of the major sins of journalism by reporting rumor as fact without verifying his information. His apology was weak, blaming his alleged source rather than his own violation of journalistic ethics, and on a fraction of a scale as his initial defense of his report (since retracted from his blog). The Rangers are right to bar him from gaining access to their locker room again.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • he is on the seating chart for media, don't know if he's here.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    he is on the seating chart for media, don't know if he's here.
    Well any Ranger could beat up Howard Berger, prolly a Ranger reporter could beat up Howard if you want his blood lol.
    I mean look at him

http://www.fan590.com/content/STATION/20040527_203749_3812.jsp
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013

(I beat EF to the punch today.)

Toronto Downs New York

Another day another win for the 2007-2008 Eastern Conference Champion Toronto Maple Leaves.
    The Leaves were in NYC last night to play the New York Strangers, and it seems that only Toronto showed up for the game.
    Henrik Lunk-vist played absolutely horrible throughout the two periods the Grangers were decent enough to let him stay in goal.
    Possibly the worst part about last night's performance is that Canadian Military Experiment-gone-wrong Nik Antropov flogged his second career hattrick.
    Sean Avery didn't lace the skates up last night and used some sort of injury excuse, but word on the street is that he's deathly afraid of Darcy Fucker, who's super-concentrated heat vision is the scourge of many an NHL toughguy.

It seems that no one can stop these newly-mightly Leaves on their road to the Stanley Cup in 2008, as they continue their two week domination of two teams destined to sweep the NHL standing's cellar and the Rags, who have no real competition for default divisional standings.
    Darcy didn't play last night either, it was nice gettin another victory when badly being out shot :)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Darcy didn't play last night either, it was nice gettin another victory when badly being out shot :)

That's how Montreal won all their games from 2000-2006.
    I didn't know DT didn't play, just saw the score and Frankenleaf's gunter highlights.
    NEW YORK (AP) Nik Antropov's second NHL hat trick was eight years in the making.

Not since the six-foot-six centre was a 19-year-old rookie, fresh out of the Russian league, had he scored three times in a game.

Using his big body and deft stick-handling in front, Antropov used a series of tips and deflections to score three goals Thursday night. He chased Henrik Lundqvist from the net and carried Toronto to a 6-2 victory over the New York Rangers, the Maple Leafs' season-high fourth straight win.

Not since Dec. 20, 1999, at Florida had he done anything like that.

``Almost exactly eight years,'' he said. ``I remember it though.''

Toronto, which hadn't won more than two in a row before this spurt, beat the Rangers in both road meetings this season _ outscoring them 9-3. The Maple Leafs scored six times on 16 shots.

Combined with a season-low, 15-shot effort, in a 3-1 home win over Nashville on Tuesday night, the Maple Leafs have back-to-back wins with a mere 31 shots.

``Obviously, we'd like to get more than we had these last two games,'' captain Mats Sundin said. ``We've got to produce more shots than 16 if we want to be successful, but at least we're not giving up the high quality scoring chances. Not too many, anyway.''

Antropov scored on all three shots he recorded. He has five goals in three games after going 10 straight without one.

``It was (10) games without a goal but I didn't think about it a lot. I did pretty much everything the same, it just didn't go in,'' he said. ``Nobody can go the whole the 82 games scoring every game or every second game.''

His second goal was originally credited to Ian White, but was changed when video showed Antropov deflected it in. Antropov netted his third, and 14th this season, when he got his stick on a hard drive by defenceman Pavel Kubina from the right circle.

``Right on my shaft,'' Antropov said. ``That was luck I would say. I just put the stick out.''

Matt Stajan and Sundin gave Toronto a 2-0 lead in the first period on only four shots, but that advantage was gone before the intermission. Alex Steen scored late in the third, and Vesa Toskala finished with 23 saves.

Defencemen Dan Girardi and Fedor Tyutin got New York even, both scoring power-play goals off passing plays by forwards Scott Gomez and Chris Drury. It wasn't enough to prevent the Rangers' fourth loss in five home games.

New York was outscored 9-2 in consecutive home losses this week to Carolina and Toronto. The Rangers will play Friday at Atlanta, the team they swept out of the first round of last season's playoffs.

``You always feel good about yourself when you come from behind and tie the hockey game. It didn't help us much,'' Rangers captain Jaromir Jagr said. ``We know we didn't play very well. Tomorrow we get another chance to prove we are a good hockey club.''

The Leafs lost momentum over the final 10 minutes of the first period, then rebuilt their two-goal lead in the second despite only 10 shots through 40 minutes.

Antropov scored his first two goals in the second period to stake Toronto to a 4-2 lead.

Steve Valiquette started the third for New York in relief of Lundqvist, who allowed four goals for the second straight game _ both at home _ after going 18 straight without yielding more than three.

``I don't know the reason,'' Lundqvist said. ``I know I have to play better. ... The first one was a bad rebound. The other three were not bad goals. I need to work harder in practice and get my game back.''

Rangers coach Tom Renney said he hadn't decided who would start against the Thrashers.

Antropov finished off his hat trick when he made it 5-2 at 3:34 off the third.

He started the natural hat trick with a power-play goal 5:11 into the second period when a rebound of Steen's shot bounced off Lundqvist's blocker right to him for an easy putback that snapped a 2-2 tie.

The Leafs' lead soon grew back to two goals. Hal Gill, who again kept Jagr in check, held Girardi's backhanded clearing attempt in at the blue-line and moved the puck to White for a shot.

Antropov got his stick on it and drove it down past Lundqvist at 16:40.

With Toronto leading 2-0, Gomez and Drury sparked the Rangers' power play that has shown signs of life after a slow start. The man-advantage units clicked twice in each of the two previous games, before an 0-for-4 effort in the 4-0 loss to Carolina on Monday night.

The Maple Leafs scored on two of their first four shots, but then didn't get another one in on the shaky Lundqvist for the remainder of the period. New York held a 9-0 edge after Toronto scored with 9:24 remaining in the frame.

Girardi cut the Rangers' deficit to 2-1 with 3:35 left in the first period, and Tyutin tied it 1:15 later.

Notes: Toronto's first shot of the second period came on Mark Bell's drive, 1:47 in....Gill's assist on Sundin's goal was his 100th in the NHL....Agitators Sean Avery (wrist) and Toronto counterpart Darcy Tucker (back) sat out.

Associated Press
    Three star selections:
    1st: NIK ANTROPOV
    2nd: HAL GILL
    3rd: MATS SUNDIN
    Winning Goaltender:
    Vesa Toskala

Losing Goaltender:
    Henrik Lundqvist
    http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Recap&seas=20072008&gtype=2&gnum=407
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    They actually said "deft stick handling" in reference to Nik Antropov!
    HAHAHAHAHA!

....never quote them again.
    Well whatever he's doing this year, all i can say is keep it up Nik 29 points 29 games is good enough for me.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    not taking nothing away

but toronto did nothing last night

nyr just decided not to step onto the ice

but a win is a win
  • i don't know about nothing, scoring five of your six goals on tip-ins, deflections and rebounds is something and doing it on 16 shots is pretty good also.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i don't know about nothing, scoring five of your six goals on tip-ins, deflections and rebounds is something and doing it on 16 shots is pretty good also.

dude when hal gill is skating thru your team

the team isnt even there

16 shots ? nothing to say WOW

all goals on slopppy shitty nyr play

except the last one
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    dude when hal gill is skating thru your team

the team isnt even there

16 shots ? nothing to say WOW

all goals on slopppy shitty nyr play

except the last one

that's how you win games some of the time by taking advantage of shitty play by your opponent. any NHL coach will say the same thing and on all of their goals it was a result of shitty plays by the rangers but they did get in front of the net which is something any NHL coach wants to see his team do no matter how few or how many shots the team gets.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    that's how you win games some of the time by taking advantage of shitty play by your opponent. any NHL coach will say the same thing and on all of their goals it was a result of shitty plays by the rangers but they did get in front of the net which is something any NHL coach wants to see his team do no matter how few or how many shots the team gets.

The Habs beat the Boourns last night (4-0 this year, always good for 2 pts :P) and were outshot 16-3 in the second period....
    Rygar wrote:
    The Habs beat the Boourns last night (4-0 this year, always good for 2 pts :P) and were outshot 16-3 in the second period....
    And the Leafs will make 5 straight wins against the Bruins on Saturday.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,152
    4 Wins in a row!!! Oh my JFJ is the greatest GM ever ....do we have the stanley cup pararde route finalized yet??? :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    kenshunt wrote:
    And the Leafs will make 5 straight wins against the Bruins on Saturday.

Just like last time?
    Wait, meant the time before that.
    Dang!
    Sorry!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    he is on the seating chart for media, don't know if he's here.

MSG showed Avery sitting in the crowd.
    Imaggine these 2 ran into one another in the hallways.

whats everyone getting excited about
    the road team only wins these games.
    its part of the original 6 " agreement"

:rolleyes:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    TV Information

National TV:
    CBC (HD)
    Local Away:
    NESN (HD)

If the Toronto Maple Leafs are going to extend their season-high winning streak to five games, they might need to generate more shots. A meeting with the Boston Bruins at Air Canada Centre on Saturday might help them do just that.

The Maple Leafs (12-11-6) have scored nine goals on just 31 shots in their last two victories, including a 16-shot performance in a 6-2 win over the New York Rangers on Thursday.

Toronto now gets to face Boston (14-10-3), which has allowed 51 goals on the road compared to 19 at home.

On Thursday, Nik Antropov scored on all three of his shots for his second career hat trick, two days after Toronto had 15 shots in beating Nashville 3-1.

"Obviously, we'd like to get more than we had these last two games," said Leafs captain Mats Sundin, who has three goals and four assists in the last five games. "We've got to produce more shots than 16 if we want to be successful, but at least we're not giving up the high quality scoring chances. Not too many, anyway."

Toronto, which had won two in a row just once before this spurt, last won five straight from Jan. 27-Feb. 6 - its longest winning streak last season.

Vesa Toskala has been a key factor during the Leafs' current run, posting a 1.75 goals-against average and starting all four victories. His outstanding play is welcome after he went 6-8-3 with a 3.16 GAA in his first 18 games.

Toskala struggled in his last start against the Bruins on Nov. 20, allowing three goals on 24 shots in a 4-2 defeat.

That loss was Toronto's third in a row to its fellow Original Six opponent. The Leafs have dropped seven of their last nine overall meetings against Boston, going 1-4-0 at home while being outscored 14-4 in those defeats.

The Bruins, meanwhile, continue a difficult stretch of nine of 10 games on the road after losing 4-2 to Montreal on Thursday in the lone home contest over that span. Boston was coming off a 3-2-1 record during its season-high six-game road trip.

"You can't complain about the schedule," captain Zdeno Chara said. "We are a better team than that but we have to put this behind us because we have another tough road trip ahead."

Boston, which makes stops in Buffalo and Atlanta before opening a four-game homestand next Thursday, is 7-7-2 on the road.

The Bruins might give rookie goaltender Tuukka Rask his second consecutive start after he allowed all four goals on 30 shots to the Canadiens. The 20-year-old Rask was thrust into the starting role Thursday after starter Tim Thomas suffered an apparent groin injury in a 4-3 overtime loss at New Jersey on Wednesday.

Rask was impressive in his first career start against Toronto - the team that drafted him 21st overall in 2005 - on Nov. 20, stopping 28 of 30 shots.

Boston may also decide to give veteran goaltender Alex Auld his first start after acquiring him from Phoenix on Thursday in exchange for minor league forward Nate DiCasmirro and a fifth-round pick in the 2009 draft.

Auld was 3-6-0 with a 3.54 GAA and one shutout in nine games with the Coyotes this season. He is 1-2-1 with a 2.14 GAA in four games against the Leafs.

Associated Press
    http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/team/app?gameNumber=421&gameType=2&page=Preview&season=20072008&service=page
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013