Options

Engagement Rings.

Comments

• Options
    cutback wrote:
    if i'm putting down a huge chunk of change for this trinket i'm gonna make damn sure she gets the ring she wants.... :)

here's the thing though, if someone gives you a ring you don't have anything to compare it to. you're going to like it unless it's TOTALLY off like as I said yellow instead of white. Plus, let's just face it- expensive jewelery all looks the same: boring. It never really "says" anything about the person who's wearing it except that they can afford wearing "real" jewelery. In all my life, I have NEVER noticed an engagement ring on someone's hand and thought "wow, that's really cool." But I'm CONSTANTLY noticing big silver rings that probably cost about $50 or less and thinking "wow, that's really cool." think about it.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Maybe not in Manhattan. ;)

What is "a lot" is kind of a personal thing.

Trust me I know that well, very well.

But even so, thats about what a nice basic ring costs.
    But you are right its all relative. Im lucky, my wife doesnt care about jewlery,
    just handbags.
    :)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    here's the thing though, if someone gives you a ring you don't have anything to compare it to. you're going to like it unless it's TOTALLY off like as I said yellow instead of white. Plus, let's just face it- expensive jewelery all looks the same: boring. It never really "says" anything about the person who's wearing it except that they can afford wearing "real" jewelery. In all my life, I have NEVER noticed an engagement ring on someone's hand and thought "wow, that's really cool." But I'm CONSTANTLY noticing big silver rings that probably cost about $50 or less and thinking "wow, that's really cool." think about it.

You may be an exception to the norm, however. I'm just sayin... ;)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Don't pay an outrageous price for a diamond. Find out what other stone she likes and get a ring with that instead. Then it would be more unique instead of just having a boring expensive diamond.
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    Don't pay an outrageous price for a diamond. Find out what other stone she likes and get a ring with that instead. Then it would be more unique instead of just having a boring expensive diamond.

I have a friend who has a sapphire (which is actually more "traditional" than a diamond for engagements) and it is REALLY pretty. it was much, much cheaper than a diamond too.
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I haven't read all the posts but this website was helpful in figuring out all the C's...and what to look for

http://www.bluenile.com
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    I have a friend who has a sapphire (which is actually more "traditional" than a diamond for engagements) and it is REALLY pretty. it was much, much cheaper than a diamond too.

This is what I did. She actually gets complimented on the ring because it is unique.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?

i dont know what im doing

pearl jam girls? any ideas

the 'rule' is to spend 2 months salary
    but I don't think it's the dollar amt spent so much as the type of ring that you purchase and will it be someething your lady will like.

You could try to find out from her sister (if she has one) or friends what she would like and go from there.

if you can afford at least a carat, imo that is a nice decent size :D
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    Allie wrote:
    the 'rule' is to spend 2 months salary
    but I don't think it's the dollar amt spent so much as the type of ring that you purchase and will it be someething your lady will like.

You could try to find out from her sister (if she has one) or friends what she would like and go from there.

if you can afford at least a carat, imo that is a nice decent size :D

2 Months salary !?! You crack me up. For as long as I can remember the cliche has always been one (1) month. Perhaps that 2 month reference is specific to Manhattan and you are employed by a jeweler.? LMAO
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    G-force wrote:
    2 Months salary !?! You crack me up. For as long as I can remember the cliche has always been one (1) month. Perhaps that 2 month reference is specific to Manhattan and you are employed by a jeweler.? LMAO

No, Allie is right. The old cliche is "2 months salary".
  • Options

isn't there an add that goes "how can two months salary last forever?"

blegh!!!

let me think...if I spent two months salary...a) that would be a damn expensive ring b) I would be homeless for two months.

"honey, will you marry me?"
    "now will you help me move back into my parents' house?"
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218

Okay, I stand corrected. I am slipping, that is the second mistake I have made this year.

Indeed, askmen.com references the 2 month rule. Yikes, that is more than my volvo.
  • Options
    laylagrrllaylagrrl Posts: 32
    If you're not sure what type of ring she would like, you can go to a jewelry store and pick out some rings in your price range. Then propose, she says yes, take her to the jewelry store and the person will bring out those rings you chose and she gets to make the final decision. Yeah it's just a ring and all but you want her to like it since she has to wear it and look at it for the rest of her life :)
    Excess in moderation.
  • Options
    isn't there an add that goes "how can two months salary last forever?"

yeah...one of those debeer's commercials, I think. barf.
  • Options
    G-force wrote:
    Yikes, that is more than my volvo.

lol, yeah...it's crazy, no?
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,580
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?

i dont know what im doing

pearl jam girls? any ideas

Three months salary.
  • Options
    ugh, I never want a ring (at least not a diamond. some other cheaper ring I probably wouldn't mind but I digress), but if I did get one it would mean SO MUCH MORE if he picked it out himself. To me it's supposed to be a gift, and being asked to pick out your own gift is just tacky. if a person wants to *marry* me I'm sure he'd know by then what my preferences are, and even if not, who cares, it's just a ring.

Also, I forgot to add in my post above, engagement rings are incredibly tacky to me for a huge reason- MEN DON'T WEAR THEM. It's like sticking a "SOLD" sign on a woman. Gross.

I agree with most of what you've said in this thread. Nice posts
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    no engagement ring. save it for nice wedding rings for both of you. engagement rings are meaningless- they were invented as a marketing campaign for debeers in the 1940s. Plus diamonds are a screwed up business. You never really know for sure where they are coming from or if anyone hands were chopped off in the process. They are overpriced bits of rock, and the people who mine them-the citizens of the countries that own this resource-are in extreme poverty even though the amount of wealth exploited from the resource is crazy. I'm sure if your gf is any type of socially conscious person, she will appreciate not getting a ring. Really, think about how much money it is too. is that really worth it? If you invest that $5000, think of what it get the two of you and any kids you might have in the future. I know people who don't even wear their engagement rings- they just sit in a box somewhere.

and 5,000 is way too much. my super nice watch wasn't even a fraction of that and it tells time. what does a ring do?

PLEASE don't listen tothis.
    NOT all women think like this.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    I too an thinking about making the plunge. Any opinions on getting a certified diamond vs. non-certified? I'd hate to buy a diamond that I thought was good quality later to find out it's worthless.
  • Options
    I too an thinking about making the plunge. Any opinions on getting a certified diamond vs. non-certified? I'd hate to buy a diamond that I thought was good quality later to find out it's worthless.

If you want to make certain that you're getting what you're paying for, go for a GIA or AGS certified stone. If you buy a non-certified stone, you're going to have to rely on your eye to trust that it's worth whatever the jeweler is telling you. Some people are comfortable with that and that's fine, but you are definitely setting yourself up for paying more than it is technically worth....and who wants to do that?
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    no engagement ring. save it for nice wedding rings for both of you. engagement rings are meaningless- they were invented as a marketing campaign for debeers in the 1940s. Plus diamonds are a screwed up business. You never really know for sure where they are coming from or if anyone hands were chopped off in the process. They are overpriced bits of rock, and the people who mine them-the citizens of the countries that own this resource-are in extreme poverty even though the amount of wealth exploited from the resource is crazy. I'm sure if your gf is any type of socially conscious person, she will appreciate not getting a ring. Really, think about how much money it is too. is that really worth it? If you invest that $5000, think of what it get the two of you and any kids you might have in the future. I know people who don't even wear their engagement rings- they just sit in a box somewhere.

and 5,000 is way too much. my super nice watch wasn't even a fraction of that and it tells time. what does a ring do?

i agree whole-heartedly ... it's funny how many people will watch a movie like blood diamond and say how great it is but then go ahead and contribute to this atrocity ...

in any case - if a symbol of "love" is measured in carats or dollars - it isn't for me ... $5,000!!??? ... imagine what you can do with that? ... all because of "tradition"??

part of our superficial society i suppose
  • Options
    I agree too. I think we are conditioned to think that spending more $ means you care more. I actually fell into this trap the very first day I went ring shopping. I found a ring I thought looked really good but then found out it was way less than what I was planning on spending. I would've bought it on looks alone but the diamond wasn't certified and who buys the first big ticket item they look at? Not a good idea.
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    3 months of gross salary!

round princess cut no yellow gold!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    3 months of gross salary!

round princess cut no yellow gold!

Bullshit about the 3 month salary..though I did get her a princess cut, white gold :)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    polaris wrote:
    i agree whole-heartedly ... it's funny how many people will watch a movie like blood diamond and say how great it is but then go ahead and contribute to this atrocity ...

in any case - if a symbol of "love" is measured in carats or dollars - it isn't for me ... $5,000!!??? ... imagine what you can do with that? ... all because of "tradition"??

part of our superficial society i suppose

It's funny because the night prior to proposing to my girl, we watched 'Blood Diamond,' and she said things like 'oh man, I wouldn't want a blood diamond.' I freaked, called my sister and she calmed me down saying that it wouldn't matter in the least and that she'll love it..She was right :)..We laugh about the story now..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    just remember to get that rock insured...

you'd be pissed if the ring was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    well, just don't buy a ring from Wal-Mart or Avon or someplace cheap....even if the ring is expensive. and if you're paying $5000 :eek: it better be top quality!! and if she's demanding that particular ring because of the price then she has issues, but if you've picked it out because you really like it and it happens to be $5000 :eek: then go for it. but get it insured and make sure you can pay for it. do you have a secure job? no other outstanding debts?
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,261
    I think the "right" ring (or a ring at all) and the "right" price are going to depend on the woman in question. If my now-husband had spent three months' salary on a diamond ring for me, I would have either a) strangled him or b) had serious doubts about marrying someone who would blow three months' salary on a piece of jewelry.

But that's just me. I do not like diamonds, I do not wear much jewelry, and I expect my partner to be prudent when it comes to money. My ring is an opal, it cost less than $500, and I rarely wear it. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    My opinion? Buy something relatively affordable and save money for a house...that's just me though.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    DocChicago wrote:
    that depends on whether you can afford it.
    I think it depends on the girl :)

Some girls might want a guy to spend his every penny on the ring... others might be completely against that and just want some token, not something that's gonna bankrupt them.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you