i dont know what im doing

pearl jam girls? any ideas
    dont ask the girls! theyll say its too cheap. hahahah :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    jesus h christ, how much are you gonna unload for the actual ring?
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?

just did this depends on cut and clarity and size and bankroll
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?
    that depends on whether you can afford it.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    Wow! $5000 ... she must really be special! Sounds like a very good quality ring.
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    There's no magic number. Just get something you can afford that you think she'll like. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    There's no magic number. Just get something you can afford that you think she'll like. :) Good luck!

is that smiley face mean its hard to get a ring a girl will like?
  • Options
    prljmngrl wrote:
    Wow! $5000 ... she must really be special! Sounds like a very good quality ring.

you think that is good? cuz im seeing rings that are 17000 and im not sure if the feeling in my stomach is love or disgust :)
  • Options
    macgyver06 wrote:
    is that smiley face mean its hard to get a ring a girl will like?

Not if it's a nice girl. ;)

It shouldn't be hard. It's just a present. Yes it's one she'll presumably wear for the rest of her life...but, still just a present. :)
  • Options
    Not if it's a nice girl. ;)

It shouldn't be hard. It's just a present. Yes it's one she'll presumably wear for the rest of her life...but, still just a present. :)

this just calmed me down like 400 percent... THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  • Options
    macgyver06 wrote:
    this just calmed me down like 400 percent... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

lol, it's the absolute truth. And if you're with the right girl, she will see it that way too and she will love it because you gave it to her...no matter how much it costs.

Do you have an idea of what she'll like in terms of metal and shape?
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    metal and shape?

^^Two biggest factors in getting our choices narrowed down. Thankfully, my then-gf and I were openly discussing marriage. Sparing ourselves the surprise really made it easier in terms of ring selection.

I'm glad she was open to that route. Getting married was still every bit as exciting. ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    it shouldnt matter how much it is to the girl, what should matter to her is that you love her enough to spent the rest of your life with her. no amount of money will ever replace the love 2 people share.
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?

Oh wow mac! :eek: That's an awful lot of money to spend on a piece of jewellery even if it is an engagement ring. Wouldn't the money be better spent on setting up your life together? I'd hate having something that expensive on my hand. I'd be paranoid about losing it.

Does she wear jewellery now? I'd be sussing that out and see what style she likes. Ask her girlfriends or family maybe?

Ultimately it's not about the ring anyway, well as far as I can see, it's about the commitment and wanting to spend your lives together, so you could put a curtain ring on my finger if I loved the guy and I'd be thrilled. I think if you are thinking that it's time to pop the question you're probably pretty sure what the answer is going to be which means she loves you and wants to spend her life with you. I doubt very much she's going to care too much how much you spend on the ring as long as you've spent some time looking for one that you think she'd like. The fact you're asking, and that you put some consideration into it is going to be the memorable thing. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I'm with Jeanie on this.

The ring is very personal. Some women (myself included) wouldn't want something worth so much money on their hand.

Maybe your girl is different. I know plenty of women who MUST have something ostentatious on their finger.

If you don't know her style, I second the suggestion of checking with her family/friends.

Don't some places let you buy the rock on a temporary setting, so she can chose what setting she wants later? I need some help on that part, 'cause I don't know for sure, but it seems like a good idea.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    jewelers will tell you that the norm is two months' salary...
  • Options
    so girls dont like to compare their rings with their friends?
  • Options
    roar wrote:
    jewelers will tell you that the norm is two months' salary...

thats a sales gimmick
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    macgyver06 wrote:
    thats a sales gimmick

you don't say! :P

yes, it was part of the De Beers marketing campaign in the early 20th century...and it's still a common trend.
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    My husband spend 500 dollars on my engagement ring, and I picked up a $200 wedding ring later on...I couldnt care less if he got me a ring-pull off a beer can, the important part is the gesture, not the amount.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    My husband spend 500 dollars on my engagement ring, and I picked up a $200 wedding ring later on...I couldnt care less if he got me a ring-pull off a beer can, the important part is the gesture, not the amount.

Hehe. I had no engagement ring. (Well, I think I may have for my first marriage, but I block most of that from my memory) My current husband and I just decided to get married, without a formal engagement. We set the date for our *dating* anniversary and picked up some sterling silver bands for just under $27. :o
    Yes, we were on a tight budget.

We have since purchased (modest) diamond bands, but I prefer the kind of ring I don't have to worry about.
    I keep asking hubby if I can just store this one away and wear costume jewelry rings on the correct finger to show I'm married. :)
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?

$5000 is too much if you think it's too much.

Get a ring she will love. If she loves you it shouldn't matter how much it costs, as long as it's something she will wear and admire, it's all good.

Good luck with the asking dude :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    It's already been said, but I'd save a whole chunk of that money to use to set up home. A pretty ring is all very nice, but the important thing is to get your lives off to a good start together.

If she's the right girl for you she won't care if its a curtain ring or a sweetie ring ;):)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    macgyver06 wrote:

Good grief! :eek:

I've got better things to do. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    macgyver06 wrote:

Some do. The question is... do you want by your side a woman who has a tendency to do that? :p
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    I'm with Jeanie on this.

The ring is very personal. Some women (myself included) wouldn't want something worth so much money on their hand.

Maybe your girl is different. I know plenty of women who MUST have something ostentatious on their finger.

If you don't know her style, I second the suggestion of checking with her family/friends.

Don't some places let you buy the rock on a temporary setting, so she can chose what setting she wants later? I need some help on that part, 'cause I don't know for sure, but it seems like a good idea.

That's an excellent idea! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?

It depends on your budget and what you can pay cash for.

Mine ended up being $5800, but we went to purchase it together. If left up to me, I'd have probably spent $3K.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    That's a crazy amount of money to spend on a piece of jewelry but that's just me.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    That's a crazy amount of money to spend on a piece of jewelry but that's just me.

I agree.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    macgyver06 wrote:
    5000 to much?

I think you should pick an amount that is reasonable for your budget and go out WITH HER to pick it out.

She has to wear it and it won't do anyone any good if you buy an expensive ring she doesn't like!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&