Comments

• Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Lizard wrote:
    D'oh!
    :p

:D
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    Brutal Brutal loss.....cruel.

I said it the moment the inning started.....And it's the question everyone is asking,

"Why did he take Lowe out?"

4 Earned runs in 2 games......he had thrown 75 pitches. He could have gone one more. Though the game wasn't entirely lost there, the Dodger has PLENTY of chances to put it away for good, and didn't.

Gotta tip your hat to the Phillies, they didn't quit. And now you see why Broxton always has Dodger fans grimacing when he comes in, despite the bb's he throws to the plate.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Brutal Brutal loss.....cruel.

I said it the moment the inning started.....And it's the question everyone is asking,

"Why did he take Lowe out?"

4 Earned runs in 2 games......he had thrown 75 pitches. He could have gone one more. Though the game wasn't entirely lost there, the Dodger has PLENTY of chances to put it away for good, and didn't.

Gotta tip your hat to the Phillies, they didn't quit. And now you see why Broxton always has Dodger fans grimacing when he comes in, despite the bb's he throws to the plate.

I think it was just the fact that he was starting 3 days rest. I agree that Lowe could have gone an extra inning, but that didn't really matter anyway, seeing as how the Dogers had the lead in the 8th before the four-run inning did us in.

I'm actually okay with Torre taking Lowe out when he did. I mean, if there is a 7th game, we're going to need him to step up big, so might as well conserve his arm as much as possible.

What I'm not okay with is some of the stupid decisions by the Dodgers players. Of biggest note was Ethier swinging on the FIRST pitch in the 8th after Furcal had walked. Of course, he grounded into a double play, and that was essentially all the Dodgers had left. Why, oh why, would anyone swing on the first pitch when their team is down by two, the previous player had just walked, and Manny fucking Ramirez is on deck waiting to hit? A strike out would have been infinitely better than a double-play, but Andre killed us there.

All that being said...I am not giving up on the Dodgers. If we can get past Hamels in game 5 at home, then we will have Kuroda (who has killed the Phillies this year) and Lowe (who, aside from two bad innings, has dominated Philly in the NLCS) going up against Brett Myers (who was shelled by the Dodgers in game 2) and Jamie Moyer (who was shelled by the Dodgers in game 3).

Billingsley vs. Hamels will be a tough one, but if they can win, I like the Dodgers chances in Kuroda vs. Myers and Lowe vs. Moyer.

Go Dodgers!
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688

I'm actually okay with Torre taking Lowe out when he did. I mean, if there is a 7th game, we're going to need him to step up big, so might as well conserve his arm as much as possible.

What I'm not okay with is some of the stupid decisions by the Dodgers players. Of biggest note was Ethier swinging on the FIRST pitch in the 8th after Furcal had walked. Of course, he grounded into a double play, and that was essentially all the Dodgers had left. Why, oh why, would anyone swing on the first pitch when their team is down by two, the previous player had just walked, and Manny fucking Ramirez is on deck waiting to hit? A strike out would have been infinitely better than a double-play, but Andre killed us there.

All that being said...I am not giving up on the Dodgers. If we can get past Hamels in game 5 at home, then we will have Kuroda (who has killed the Phillies this year) and Lowe (who, aside from two bad innings, has dominated Philly in the NLCS) going up against Brett Myers (who was shelled by the Dodgers in game 2) and Jamie Moyer (who was shelled by the Dodgers in game 3).

Billingsley vs. Hamels will be a tough one, but if they can win, I like the Dodgers chances in Kuroda vs. Myers and Lowe vs. Moyer.

Go Dodgers!

Sorry you are completely wrong about conserving Lowe for Game 7. The Dodgers will be lucky to get past Game 5. They needed to win last night in the worst way, and to use the excuse of taking a pitcher out to conserve for a game that, right now, is a loooong shot of even happening is really dumb. In that game, every thing should have been done to win it. They should not have been looking to the next inning let alone three games down the line.

That said, you are completely right about Ethier swinging at the first pitch. I didn't even realize he did until you just mentioned it. In that situation, you have to take until you get a strike. Down 2 in the eighth, the Dodgers needed baserunners in the worst way and should have put the pressure on the pitcher to throw strikes. I am even madder about the game last night (which I didn't think was possible)!!!!

I also am not giving up on the Dodgers. The points you made are valid. At least the Dodgers will be at home against Hamels, who they were very close to beating in Game 1 in Philly. In Game 2,if Shane Victorino doesn't make a great catch against the wall, the game could have been 8-7 off Blake's long fly ball late in that game. I'm not taking anything away from the Phillies, they have done a good job this series when they needed to. I'm just pointing out that a couple of plays either way in those early games and the Dodgers could definitely have stolen one game, maybe both.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Sorry you are completely wrong about conserving Lowe for Game 7. The Dodgers will be lucky to get past Game 5. They needed to win last night in the worst way, and to use the excuse of taking a pitcher out to conserve for a game that, right now, is a loooong shot of even happening is really dumb. In that game, every thing should have been done to win it. They should not have been looking to the next inning let alone three games down the line.

Like I said in the section of my post that you cut out, I was okay with taking out Lowe not primarily because of a potential game 7, but because he was going on 3-days rest. I don't know Derek personally, but I would assume that 75 pitches on 3-days rest is a much bigger strain than 75 pitches on four or five days of rest. That being said, I understand why he was taken out when he was...and the game 7 aspect of it was just an added bonus, more than anything else.

I don't think they were looking to the next inning or the next game, but I do believe that they took Lowe out with the feeling that it was a smart move since they had one of the best bullpens in the league all year long. Obviously it didn't work out, but you have to stick with what got you there, and the bullpen had been lights out most of the year (and most of the series) up to that point.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    has that ball that matt stairs hit landed yet?
  • Options
    has that ball that matt stairs hit landed yet?

yeah...in Beverly Hills :D
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Cole Hamels is going to close the book on the Dodgers tonight!!! And so ends another chapter in the book of the LA Dodgers, sorry

GO PHILS
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    http://www.stubhub.com/los-angeles-dodgers-playoff-tickets/dodgers-vs-phillies-10-15-2008-586797/

Yes...such die hard fans....Nothin but celebrities and convict gangbangers wearing jencos and sporting tattoos on their heads and flashing gang signs while shanking people out in the pavilion....Got a call from my buddy at lunch time who was out there....Yeah, and Philly is nothin but trashy fans...riiiight. Keep in mind I know about the group out in the outfield, The Cholos(or whatever you call them). Now THAT is fucking trash. Buddy called me up telling me he was threatened with his life while people spit at him and one dude flashed a knife. Go wear your stupid fucking Manny wigs. Now I absolutely despise LA more than I did before. How do these animals even get tickets? Standing room in Philly was at least $150 and you've got these pieces of shit taking up all the room that's not being taken up by people with botox and facelifts. Fuck that. God I hope we move on tonight.
  • Options
    http://www.stubhub.com/los-angeles-dodgers-playoff-tickets/dodgers-vs-phillies-10-15-2008-586797/

Yes...such die hard fans....Nothin but celebrities and convict gangbangers wearing jencos and sporting tattoos on their heads and flashing gang signs while shanking people out in the pavilion....Got a call from my buddy at lunch time who was out there....Yeah, and Philly is nothin but trashy fans...riiiight. Keep in mind I know about the group out in the outfield, The Cholos(or whatever you call them). Now THAT is fucking trash. Buddy called me up telling me he was threatened with his life while people spit at him and one dude flashed a knife. Go wear your stupid fucking Manny wigs. Now I absolutely despise LA more than I did before. How do these animals even get tickets? Standing room in Philly was at least $150 and you've got these pieces of shit taking up all the room that's not being taken up by people with botox and facelifts. Fuck that. God I hope we move on tonight.

Chill out, dude. You have WAY too much anger about a group of people you don't even know. Your generalizations, irrational hatred, and borderline-racism only makes me lose a shitload of respect for you.

Keep in mind that it's only a game, but your reputation and words will follow you far beyond this baseball season.

Good luck tonight...may the best team win.

• Options
    Chill out, dude. You have WAY too much anger about a group of people you don't even know. Your generalizations, irrational hatred, and borderline-racism only makes me lose a shitload of respect for you.

Keep in mind that it's only a game, but your reputation and words will follow you far beyond this baseball season.

Good luck tonight...may the best team win.

I could really care less. When one of my buddies gets treated like that - fuck that. Don't really care what my reputation will be. If some asshole in Philly speaks for all Philly fans, then same goes here.

No good luck tonight. Go Phils.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516

Nothin but celebrities and convict gangbangers wearing jencos and sporting tattoos on their heads and flashing gang signs while shanking people out in the pavilion.... Keep in mind I know about the group out in the outfield, The Cholos(or whatever you call them). Now THAT is fucking trash. How do these animals even get tickets? you've got these pieces of shit taking up all the room that's not being taken up by people with botox and facelifts. Fuck that.

Direct from the City of Brotherly Love!

All that hate made me laugh. :D

btw - "jencos"? :confused:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I could really care less. When one of my buddies gets treated like that - fuck that. Don't really care what my reputation will be. If some asshole in Philly speaks for all Philly fans, then same goes here.

No good luck tonight. Go Phils.

That's the very definition of irrational behavior.

If I started hating entire groups because at some time or another a "buddy" of mine got mistreated by one or more members of that group, then at this point in my life I'd hate blacks, Asians, Latinos, whites, drunks, women, teenagers, football players, and the list goes on.

Then I'd be a hateful bastard filled with nothing but animosity and spite for others, and I wouldn't be a very good person.

It reminds me of the way people today and in the past have used isolated, individual examples to justify segregation, homophobia, slavery, etc.

It's sad, really.

• Options
    That's the very definition of irrational behavior.

If I started hating entire groups because at some time or another a "buddy" of mine got mistreated by one or more members of that group, then at this point in my life I'd hate blacks, Asians, Latinos, whites, drunks, women, teenagers, football players, and the list goes on.

Then I'd be a hateful bastard filled with nothing but animosity and spite for others, and I wouldn't be a very good person.

It reminds me of the way people today and in the past have used isolated, individual examples to justify segregation, homophobia, slavery, etc.

It's sad, really.

Political correctness - boo.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    damn.

i am at a loss for words.

except these:

[size=+3]GO DODGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Like I said in the section of my post that you cut out, I was okay with taking out Lowe not primarily because of a potential game 7, but because he was going on 3-days rest. I don't know Derek personally, but I would assume that 75 pitches on 3-days rest is a much bigger strain than 75 pitches on four or five days of rest. That being said, I understand why he was taken out when he was...and the game 7 aspect of it was just an added bonus, more than anything else.

I don't think they were looking to the next inning or the next game, but I do believe that they took Lowe out with the feeling that it was a smart move since they had one of the best bullpens in the league all year long. Obviously it didn't work out, but you have to stick with what got you there, and the bullpen had been lights out most of the year (and most of the series) up to that point.

It still makes no sense to even mention Game 7 in regards to saving someone for that game with the situation we are in right now.

The 3 days rest argument doesn't work either because he had really settled down in the couple of innings before he was taken out. It is stupid to pitch a guy on 3 days rest if you aren't going to treat it like a regular start. If the guy is rolling leave him in (just ask Milwaukee and CC at the end of the season).

Lowe's pitching down the stretch is one of the things that got us there. Kershaw coming in from the bullpen (in what I think was his first post-season appearance, I could be wrong there) is not what got us there.

I'm counting on a miracle!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    Way to go out with barely a whimper.

Go Rays.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • Options
    smg9779 wrote:
    Way to go out with barely a whimper.

Go Rays.

and they call Philly fans sour...nice season Dodgers...you have a great team
    Shows:
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Great run L.A. had; very unexpected.

I was really hoping you guys represent the NL pennant.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    petrocs wrote:
    and they call Philly fans sour...nice season Dodgers...you have a great team

So much for all those so called "Experts" picking the Dodgers !!

I think Furcal deserves some votes for MVP :D

GO PHILS !!!!!!!!!!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    Wow, I came in here expecting some classy condolences from Philly fans, and instead see a bunch of rubbing it in.

Since they won't, I'll do it. Nice season, Phillies. The World Series will be tough.

One bright spot for the Dodgers -- they finally won a series. There is next year.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    anyone notice the guy wearing the Avocado shirt behind home plate? Is that someone from the message pit?

Dodgers have to re-sign Manny now. No question.
  • Options
    Wow, I came in here expecting some classy condolences from Philly fans, and instead see a bunch of rubbing it in.

Since they won't, I'll do it. Nice season, Phillies. The World Series will be tough.

One bright spot for the Dodgers -- they finally won a series. There is next year.

maybe you missed my comment about great season Dodgers..you have a great team...
    Shows:
  • Options
    petrocs wrote:
    maybe you missed my comment about great season Dodgers..you have a great team...

See it now. Thanks. But they need to fill up the gaps. Lots of decisions to make in teh off season. Good luck in the series... Bottom line, your team got the big hits and the Dodgers let their opportunities go like an inexperienced playoff team... It's a cruel sport.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    anyone notice the guy wearing the Avocado shirt behind home plate? Is that someone from the message pit?

Dodgers have to re-sign Manny now. No question.

I was at the game, but that wasn't me. I was the guy in the Dodgers jersey by the left field foul pole drowning his sorrow in beer and an ice cream sandwich.
  • Options
    See it now. Thanks. But they need to fill up the gaps. Lots of decisions to make in teh off season. Good luck in the series... Bottom line, your team got the big hits and the Dodgers let their opportunities go like an inexperienced playoff team... It's a cruel sport.

Dont worry...Torre will get that team turned around Manny or no Manny...I'm sure we'll see you guys again in the NLCS :)
    Shows:
  • Options
    smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    I didn't watch much of the game last night because of the debate but there wasn't much to watch. Every time I flipped it to the game it was either Phils up with men on or Dodgers up with two outs and no one on. I just found out how the Dodgers got the one run: Manny's solo shot. How appropriate. He was the only one who did anything. Dodgers need to resign him.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • Options
    smg9779 wrote:
    Dodgers need to resign him.

There is no question they need to resign him. Today!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    Thank you, Dodgers! You did everything I was looking for.... beat those annoying Cubs, then took yourselves out of it and created a little misery for FOX as a bonus. :D

You Dodger fans are a cool bunch.... I "invaded" your thread as a Giants' fan; we gave each other a bunch of shit; I became a Dodger fan for a week and, all in all, it's been fun. :p

When does the OFFICIAL 2009 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD kick off? :D I can't decide whether to infiltrate that thread or start my own Giants thread. Seeing as how it's just me and ucsbledbetter in the G's corner, I guess I'll see you in the spring :p. Pitchers and catchers report in about 4 months :D.

P.S. Phillies have the better team....you all have the better thread.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Manny is great to have for you guys but how about adding some more starting pitching may be more helpful

Especially with Lowe being a free agent...Manny asking for $20mil a year

Money spent on pitching might be wiser
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers