Options

Guillermo Del Toro wipes the floor with M. Night Shyamalan

Comments

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Yeah, you're right on all fronts I guess. I mean that is pretty gay. I don't know what lacks more class and taste. Listing my shows or considering Signs a Top 5 movie in anyone's eyes.

Hey, I noticed we both like 'Summer School,' so there is hope for you yet ;)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    smithnic wrote:
    It's violent as hell! I'm an American who grew up with "Faces of Death," so I don't mind it, but it's not necessary for the plot or the story.

Yeah, I guess it's pretty violent at a few parts with the Colonel or whatever he is - but, I wouldn't say it's gory.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    The Champ wrote:
    Hey, I noticed we both like 'Summer School,' so there is hope for you yet ;)..

Yeah, I can tell you have a chance to be saved... Watch Jaws, City of God, Big Lebowski, Ghostbusters, & American Beauty and your Top 5 might change....Well, this is what usually makes up my top 5 at least....
  • Options
    Yeah, I can tell you have a chance to be saved... Watch Jaws, City of God, Big Lebowski, Ghostbusters, & American Beauty and your Top 5 might change....Well, this is what usually makes up my top 5 at least....

Not bad, my list fluctuates but usually consists of:
    Forrest Gump
    Gangs of New York
    A Beautiful Mind
    On The waterfront
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Good Will Hunting
    Signs
    Jaws is up there too
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Opps, sorry for the derailment..you guys can go back to bashing M. Night now ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Now don't get me wrong, I never really liked Shamalamadingdong. But I've now seen 'Pan's Labyrinth' and more recently 'The Orphanage' by Del Toro and let me say, he is everything Shyamalan wishes he was. Not far off a genius. I've always loved this kind of film but Del Toro does it perfectly.

Discuss.

I'm a fan of Shyamalan but he isn't even in the same league as Del Torro. That man is a genius.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Every time he posts, you could put the :confused: and it would make sense.

That is why he/she is on my ignore list
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    The Champ wrote:
    Honestly, I would never hang out with a person who listed every single pearl jam concert he/she attended..and no Brad doesn't count..talk about bad taste ;)..

good thing i didn't list EVERY pearl jam concert

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    As interesting as this thread is...with all of the bizarre personal attacks, hurt feelings, interthread intrigue...and M Night bashing and vindicating...I feel compelled to add something:

The Orphanage, is a fine movie (El Orfanato) but it is not directed by Guillermo Del Toro. it was produced by him. but not directed. Direction for that film goes to an equally stunning Juan Antonio Bayona. He is a Spanish (not Mexican) film director.

That being said, I would like to add that Guillermo Del Toro did a magnificent job with the story of Pan's Labyrinth. If you want to see a wonderful film by Guillermo please see "the Devil's Backbone" "El Espinazo del Diablo" which has a similar feel and setting to Pan's Labyrinth. I don't want to give any further "spoilers" so - please I urge you all to rent it.

As to M. Night...I feel that he tries for gothic -but gets caught up in his own name recognition. "A film by M. Night" seems to be some sort of qualifier and excuse...and I think that regardless of popularity and sales, critically speaking his films have been lacking. Who knows if Guillermo will suffer a similar fate...perhaps the lackluster critical response for Hellboy & Hellboy II will temper the expectations. I look forward to The Hobbit.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Honestly, I would never hang out with a person who listed every single pearl jam concert he/she attended..and no Brad doesn't count..talk about bad taste ;)..
    AWWW son - what the HECK???

BRAD is awesome!!!

*Thread derailment*
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Shyamalan is a joke. Even the Sixth Sense is crap.

Del Toro is a very good filmmaker.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    AWWW son - what the HECK???

BRAD is awesome!!!

*Thread derailment*

I just thought I'd throw that in there ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Shyamalan is a joke. Even the Sixth Sense is crap.

Del Toro is a very good filmmaker.

Yay, here we go that's more like it..Let's get back on the wagon and bash the fucker some more ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    The Champ wrote:
    Yay, here we go that's more like it..Let's get back on the wagon and bash the fucker some more ;)..

Isn't that the point of this particular thread? Shamalamadingdong made two watchable movies. To me, the rest are so heavy handed and obvious. But to each their own.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Isn't that the point of this particular thread? Shamalamadingdong made two watchable movies. To me, the rest are so heavy handed and obvious. But to each their own.

That's what I'm saying..keep on bashing the fucker and his crap movies..and what do you mean obvious? Maybe it was intended to be as such..but this 'twist' scenario some people just can't get beyond..oh well, to each their own is right..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Champ wrote:
    That's what I'm saying..keep on bashing the fucker and his crap movies..and what do you mean obvious? Maybe it was intended to be as such..but this 'twist' scenario some people just can't get beyond..oh well, to each their own is right..
    It's not so much the twists that I hate, more the fact that you spend everyone of his films waiting for it because you KNOW it's coming somewhere.

Cinema =/= a surprise party.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's not so much the twists that I hate, more the fact that you spend everyone of his films waiting for it because you KNOW it's coming somewhere.

Cinema =/= a surprise party.
    That is what I like about his movies...trying to figure out the twist.
    I love his work, tho I have not seen the latest.
    Lady in the Water was a scream! lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    I've never seen a shyamalan movie and I don't really want to, considering I hate horror.

I loved Pan's Labyrinth - it's one of my all-time faves now - but I can't quite believe the same guy did Hellboy. Hellboy1 totally bored me to death!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    new hellboy sucks balls

del toro is much more talented than shyamalan in my opinion, but i wouldnt go crediting him with 'the orphanage' as that was done by a dude named bayona (might have already been said in this thread, i just cant be arsed reading all the pages). del toro merely chucked a presenting director credit with his name on it into the mix so that the film got some coverage before release.
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    As interesting as this thread is...with all of the bizarre personal attacks, hurt feelings, interthread intrigue...and M Night bashing and vindicating...I feel compelled to add something:

The Orphanage, is a fine movie (El Orfanato) but it is not directed by Guillermo Del Toro. it was produced by him. but not directed. Direction for that film goes to an equally stunning Juan Antonio Bayona. He is a Spanish (not Mexican) film director.

That being said, I would like to add that Guillermo Del Toro did a magnificent job with the story of Pan's Labyrinth. If you want to see a wonderful film by Guillermo please see "the Devil's Backbone" "El Espinazo del Diablo" which has a similar feel and setting to Pan's Labyrinth. I don't want to give any further "spoilers" so - please I urge you all to rent it.

As to M. Night...I feel that he tries for gothic -but gets caught up in his own name recognition. "A film by M. Night" seems to be some sort of qualifier and excuse...and I think that regardless of popularity and sales, critically speaking his films have been lacking. Who knows if Guillermo will suffer a similar fate...perhaps the lackluster critical response for Hellboy & Hellboy II will temper the expectations. I look forward to The Hobbit.

i agree, the devils backbone was a great film. :)

shyamalan just bores me, though i did like the sixth sense.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Also for crying out loud people he directed BOTH Hellboy movies.

IMDB was name dropped a few times in this thread, yet no one ever looked Del Toro up to see what he has done. Silly silly people!!!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868219/
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Thorns2010 wrote:

IMDB was name dropped a few times in this thread, yet no one ever looked Del Toro up to see what he has done. Silly silly people!!!

I see no one's mentioned 'Mimic' either ;)
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    They both make films which verge on almost gothic horror. They are both primarily interested in myth and legend and fairy tales, and they both make contemporary stories containing all of these elements. They both make 'fairy tales for adults'.

I don't know you but don't you dare call me racist for comparing the artistic merits of two film directors. I was married to a half Pakistani woman for 4 years and dating her before that for 3. I am not in any way racist. I believe that to not comment on Shyamalan's lack of skill as a film director just because he is Asian, would be racist.
    the fact you think that m knights films are gothic horror, shows all we need to know about your level of competence on film.

clown shoes
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    well done addressing your earlier mistake no code.

oh wait....you just chucked in another insult to already cement your position as someone who comes into discussions equipped only with little knowledge and the desire to bait people.

well done.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Sixth Sense and Signs are my favorites!! :D
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    duggro wrote:
    well done addressing your earlier mistake no code.

oh wait....you just chucked in another insult to already cement your position as someone who comes into discussions equipped only with little knowledge and the desire to bait people.

well done.

truer words have never been spoken....i like you

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    truer words have never been spoken....i like you
    why thank you

you wouldnt by any chance be a hot woman living on the east coast of scotland? i need one of them to like me.

actually thats stupid. there are no hot women living in the east coast of scotland....damn.
  • Options
    duggro wrote:
    why thank you

you wouldnt by any chance be a hot woman living on the east coast of scotland? i need one of them to like me.

actually thats stupid. there are no hot women living in the east coast of scotland....damn.

haha!

duggro mops the message board with nocode...

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Damn it!!! Three more years until the Hobbit comes out! Oh well.
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:

I mentioned it!!! same time I wrote that The Orphanage isn't his direction.

now Mimic I have not seen - so I didnt mention THAT one...hahahaa