Options

Guillermo Del Toro wipes the floor with M. Night Shyamalan

Comments

• Options
    The Champ wrote:
    'Signs' kicks some major fucking ass ;)..aren't the movies you mentioned by Guillermo children flicks? Especially Pan's, no?

I think everyone was fooled into thinking Pan's Labyrinth was a children's movie. I enjoy the occasional children's flick and that's what I thought going into this movie, but it's actually quite a shocking, occasionally gory film which is a fairy tale but for adults.

The basis of comparison for me is both directors' interest in myth, legend and fairy tales. Also, both have ventured once into comic book territory. I don't think the fact that one uses more visual effects (and only marginally) makes them dissimilar.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    brainofPJ wrote:
    oh, and i just realized that i never posted about the actual topic....see that's what i'm talking about. i wish when you had someone on your ignore list you couldn't read when others quote them. anyway.......

M Night's movies never do it for me. it always feels like a waste of my time. in his earlier movies he just seemed to try so hard to shove a 'twist' down my throat....and they never worked. there were always way too many plot holes and i'm usually not one that picks a movie apart like that but when they are so blatant it's just too easy. and then his latest movie....wow, what a craptastically crap story. i love IMDB for movies like this...go over there, read the story, get pissed that i wasted my time reading it, get happy that i won't waste any money on it.

on the other hand i really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. some of his other movies were ok. The Hobbit might be good...can't wait to see.

Pan's Labyrinth reminded me of some of Terry Gilliam's movies. speaking of which, check out Tideland. can't wait for his next movie 'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus'....sound cool.

yes, Terry Gilliam is wonderful. :) Tideland and The Brothers Grimm are both good. even though Grimm has Matt Damonm who I'm not a big fan of.

and a sidenote, you mentioned imdb.com.. lifesaver in my line of work! (movie rental store person) one day a girl came and asked whether we had some movie, which is quite ok I rather have the customers come and ask that than rattle around the store getting frustrated while trying to find it. but this girl only knew A WORD from the movie title. :D needless to say imdb helped me out.

anyway, back to the directors!
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    i was hoping for more from hellboy II ... i think hollywood had too much say in that movie ...
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    The Champ wrote:
    Oh man, what a hater ;)...anyway, when I saw the Sixth Sense, I didn't know about all the plot twists etc..and thus wasn't expecting anything..Man, when that twist occured, it hit me like a ton of bricks....No movie has ever had that kind of effect on me prior..It was so fucking eery, in a good way..I'll never forget that...

Sixth Sense is the only one i saw in theaters...i actually did like it. Unbreakable was pretty good too. the others i just hated.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    polaris wrote:
    i was hoping for more from hellboy II ... i think hollywood had too much say in that movie ...
    I think comic book movies have to have a certain hollywood, popcorn cheesiness to them.
    I'm still interested to see how Del Toro handles it :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Fucking hell, you know what, this place is completely ridiculous. This 'Pit' is a total fucking joke.

Do I need to qualify that 'I never really liked Shyamalan's film-making'? I don't hate the guy, I've never fucking met the guy.

God people, I'm not the first person to make a thread damning his ability. The only people I hate are pretentious white people who are afraid to criticise the artistic merits of a person just because he is of a different race.

Grow a fucking pair of balls and get opinionated.
    lol I just gave you an opinion, dewd: I think your thread is foul. Interestingly enough, you responded w/ more hating :p

It's possible to criticize without being cruel and saying "Drop_The_Leash wipes the floor w/ harmless_little_f when it comes to thread making...he's everything harmless_little_f wishes he could be"

Just my opinion!
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Now don't get me wrong, I never really liked Shamalamadingdong. But I've now seen 'Pan's Labyrinth' and more recently 'The Orphanage' by Del Toro and let me say, he is everything Shyamalan wishes he was. Not far off a genius. I've always loved this kind of film but Del Toro does it perfectly.

Discuss.

I love The Orphange! I'm kind of a horror buff. Also, all I have heard about Pan's Lab is good stuff. I think you just made me go and see it.

I like Shamalamadingdong but think you are right. He wishes he was Del Toro.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Danimal wrote:
    I love The Orphange! I'm kind of a horror buff. Also, all I have heard about Pan's Lab is good stuff. I think you just made me go and see it.

I like Shamalamadingdong but think you are right. He wishes he was Del Toro.
    Don't go into Pan's Labyrinth thinking its a horror. It isn't really. More a kind of gothic/romantic fairytale. It's brutal in places and shocking, but not horror film scary. However, having said that it's gorgeously fantastic and great to watch. You forget all about the spanish subtitles and get sucked right in.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    Yeah, "Pan's" is more of a darker "Never Ending Story". M. Night is trash. The only good thing he's done is 6th Sense and Unbreakable is alright. I wanted to shoot myself in the head for PAYING to see Lady In The Water in a movie theater - or at all for that matter. And mostly, I just watch his stupid movies because he films all his movies around Philly.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Don't go into Pan's Labyrinth thinking its a horror. It isn't really. More a kind of gothic/romantic fairytale. It's brutal in places and shocking, but not horror film scary. However, having said that it's gorgeously fantastic and great to watch. You forget all about the spanish subtitles and get sucked right in.

Oh yeah! I definitely do not think it's horror more like...fantasy or something. Looks wicked cool though! Yup had to deal with the subtitles on The Orphange too. Just like you said you get sucked right into it and don't even notice it! Also, I noticed when movies have subtitles you never miss a thing.

I'm gonna pick this up this week. Nice!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Best movie ever with subtitles that I didn't even realize was/is "City of God." One of the best movies ever.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Pan's Labyrinth is not that good. The characters seem to have no point other than the director saying "look what I can design and then use in Hellboy". The plot doesn't make much sense, and it's gory for no sake at all.

oh, and M Night was at Camden 1 and he was a jerk who ignored people saying hi!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Saturnal wrote:
    lol I just gave you an opinion, dewd: I think your thread is foul. Interestingly enough, you responded w/ more hating :p

It's possible to criticize without being cruel and saying "Drop_The_Leash wipes the floor w/ harmless_little_f when it comes to thread making...he's everything harmless_little_f wishes he could be"

Just my opinion!

Good point..and now apparently bashing M. Night is just the cool/popular thing to do..oh well....even after people clearly state that they enjoyed some of his movies, in the next sentence he is trash..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Pan's isn't that gory. And how is the storyline not a good one? I won't give it away for those who haven't seen it, but come on, the ending is different. And keep in mind, this is more fairytale than anything.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Good point..and now apparently bashing M. Night is just the cool/popular thing to do..oh well....even after people clearly state that they enjoyed some of his movies, in the next sentence he is trash..

He hasn't made a good movie since 1999/2000. I think that's a fair judgment to say he sucks.
  • Options
    Pan's isn't that gory. And how is the storyline not a good one? I won't give it away for those who haven't seen it, but come on, the ending is different. And keep in mind, this is more fairytale than anything.

Did you also keep in mind that the 'trash' Lady in The Water was also a fairy tale before you entered the theater?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    He hasn't made a good movie since 1999/2000. I think that's a fair judgment to say he sucks.
    That's entirely based on opinion.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    That's entirely based on opinion.

Opinion yes....Ya might as well say Caddyshack 2 was a good movie. I just won't listen to that person.
  • Options

I'm not sure about the years, but I've enjoyed all of his films to some extent. Even 'The Happening' was entertaining for an admitedly 'silly B movie.' I wasn't going in expecting the Sixth Sense..lol..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    I'm not sure about the years, but I've enjoyed all of his films to some extent. Even 'The Happening' was entertaining for an admitedly 'silly B movie.' I wasn't going in expecting the Sixth Sense..lol..

Signs = blows
    Lady in the water = I was genuinely mad at myself for going to see that movie.
    Village = terrible.
    Happening = Not good.

Like I said, Unbreakable was alright and 6th Sense was great the first time you see it. I'll check his movies out for now on on HBO just to see the shots in and around Philly.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Signs was a commercial and financial success (2002) so who's standards are we using to measure how good his movies are?
    I have liked all of them that I've seen to some degree so far, so that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    Signs = blows
    Lady in the water = I was genuinely mad at myself for going to see that movie.
    Village = terrible.
    Happening = Not good.

Like I said, Unbreakable was alright and 6th Sense was great the first time you see it. I'll check his movies out for now on on HBO just to see the shots in and around Philly.

What's the point of this? We can do this all day..it's just an opinion..

Sixth Sense= Brilliant on all levels
    Signs= In my top 5 list of favorite movies
    Village= A fun few hours at the theater
    Unbreakable= Enjoyed it better upon second viewing
    Lady In The Water= Entertaining fairy tale movie made for his children
    The Happening= Mark Walhberg's acting was nothing short of genius ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    What's the point of this? We can do this all day..it's just an opinion..

Sixth Sense= Brilliant on all levels
    Signs= In my top 5 list of favorite movies
    Village= A fun few hours at the theater
    Unbreakable= Enjoyed it better upon second viewing
    Lady In The Water= Entertaining fairy tale movie made for his children
    The Happening= Mark Walhberg's acting was nothing short of genius ;)..

Wow. May we never cross paths.
  • Options
    Wow. May we never cross paths.

What's wrong with you? You said yourself you enjoyed Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, so just because I like some of the others more than you we can never hang out? This hurts man..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Signs was a commercial and financial success (2002) so who's standards are we using to measure how good his movies are?
    I have liked all of them that I've seen to some degree so far, so that's good enough for me.

That's what I'm saying..I love Signs and Sixth Sense..the rest to some degree as well..don't understand why this dude is so fucking angry? Nocode's brother?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    What's wrong with you? You said yourself you enjoyed Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, so just because I like some of the others more than you we can never hang out? This hurts man..

It's a shame, but I'm sorry based on my evaluation....No, no we cannot.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    That's what I'm saying..I love Signs and Sixth Sense..the rest to some degree as well..don't understand why this dude is so fucking angry? Nocode's brother?
    Lolsters, the resemblance is there.
  • Options
    It's a shame, but I'm sorry based on my evaluation....No, no we cannot.

Honestly, I would never hang out with a person who listed every single pearl jam concert he/she attended..and no Brad doesn't count..talk about bad taste ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Honestly, I would never hang out with a person who listed every single pearl jam concert he/she attended..and no Brad doesn't count..talk about bad taste ;)..

Yeah, you're right on all fronts I guess. I mean that is pretty gay. I don't know what lacks more class and taste. Listing my shows or considering Signs a Top 5 movie in anyone's eyes.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559

It's violent as hell! I'm an American who grew up with "Faces of Death," so I don't mind it, but it's not necessary for the plot or the story.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!