Options

Guillermo Del Toro wipes the floor with M. Night Shyamalan

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited August 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Now don't get me wrong, I never really liked Shamalamadingdong. But I've now seen 'Pan's Labyrinth' and more recently 'The Orphanage' by Del Toro and let me say, he is everything Shyamalan wishes he was. Not far off a genius. I've always loved this kind of film but Del Toro does it perfectly.

Discuss.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    why are we comparing these two? what criteria are we using?

i smell racism
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

i smell racism

I can't comment on the subject as I know very little about either director, but I know the OP would be upset to be thought of as a racist person.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

i smell racism

They both make films which verge on almost gothic horror. They are both primarily interested in myth and legend and fairy tales, and they both make contemporary stories containing all of these elements. They both make 'fairy tales for adults'.

I don't know you but don't you dare call me racist for comparing the artistic merits of two film directors. I was married to a half Pakistani woman for 4 years and dating her before that for 3. I am not in any way racist. I believe that to not comment on Shyamalan's lack of skill as a film director just because he is Asian, would be racist.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

i smell racism

wtf? :confused:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

My reaction, yeah :confused:

• Options
    I never really liked Shamalamadingdong....Del Toro is everything Shyamalan wishes he was.

Yep, certainly no racism goin' on....just good old-fashioned personal hating.

Either way...the thread's foul.
  • Options
    Heaven forbid anyone should post a personal opinion in this place.

Sheesh :rolleyes:

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    dunkman wrote:
    Every time he posts, you could put the :confused: and it would make sense.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yep, certainly no racism goin' on....just good old-fashioned personal hating.

Either way...the thread's foul.

Fucking hell, you know what, this place is completely ridiculous. This 'Pit' is a total fucking joke.

Do I need to qualify that 'I never really liked Shyamalan's film-making'? I don't hate the guy, I've never fucking met the guy.

God people, I'm not the first person to make a thread damning his ability. The only people I hate are pretentious white people who are afraid to criticise the artistic merits of a person just because he is of a different race.

Grow a fucking pair of balls and get opinionated.

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Fucking hell, you know what, this place is completely ridiculous. This 'Pit' is a total fucking joke.

Do I need to qualify that 'I never really liked Shyamalan's film-making'? I don't hate the guy, I've never fucking met the guy.

God people, I'm not the first person to make a thread damning his ability. The only people I hate are pretentious white people who are afraid to criticise the artistic merits of a person just because he is of a different race.

Grow a fucking pair of balls and get opinionated.

i think the term 'discuss' threw some people... if it had been a poll like they used to do in Smash Hits then perhaps it would have suited them better.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i think the term 'discuss' threw some people... if it had been a poll like they used to do in Smash Hits then perhaps it would have suited them better.

LOL. I honestly thought it was obvious how you could compare the two. Maybe not. :rolleyes:

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I have not seen The Happening or Lady in the Water, but I've liked most of Shymalan's movies. I loved Signs.
    I have not seen any of Deo Toro's movies yet.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I have not seen The Happening or Lady in the Water, but I've liked most of Shymalan's movies. I loved Signs.
    I have not seen any of Deo Toro's movies yet.
    You should see Pan's Labyrinth, it's gorgeous. I really recommend it. Also Del Toro directed the new Hellboy movie. It'll be interesting to see what he's done with that too.

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    You should see Pan's Labyrinth, it's gorgeous. I really recommend it. Also Del Toro directed the new Hellboy movie. It'll be interesting to see what he's done with that too.
    I will, I just haven't gotten around to it yet :p
    Who did the first Hellboy? I saw most of that...
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    They both make films which verge on almost gothic horror. They are both primarily interested in myth and legend and fairy tales, and they both make contemporary stories containing all of these elements. They both make 'fairy tales for adults'.

I don't know you but don't you dare call me racist for comparing the artistic merits of two film directors. I was married to a half Pakistani woman for 4 years and dating her before that for 3. I am not in any way racist. I believe that to not comment on Shyamalan's lack of skill as a film director just because he is Asian, would be racist.

harmless, the dude is just a straight up twat.

i don't think he even believes half the stuff he posts...actually, more than half...because most of it is negative. he's just trying to get a rise out of people.

he contributes absolutely nothing to this forum.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:

i don't think he even believes half the stuff he posts...actually, more than half...because most of it is negative. he's just trying to get a rise out of people.

Thanks for saying so.. I guess I don't know the guy, a fact of which I'm glad.

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    'Signs' kicks some major fucking ass ;)..aren't the movies you mentioned by Guillermo children flicks? Especially Pan's, no? Anyway, I haven't seen those but have enjoyed most of M. Night's work..Also, doesn't Guillermo use a lof of visual/special effects? On the above surface I don't see how these two are comparable, but in any case I'm pretty sure M. Night is better hung for sure ;)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262

I love Pan's Labyrinth! :)

also love Signs though it scares the helll outta me. I've not seen enough movies from these two to compare them or figure who's work I like better but so far I've enjoyed everything I've seen from them.

how scary is The Orphanage btw? I really wanna watch it but don't know if I'll dare to alone. :o
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:

I agree, and 18-1 ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    'Signs' kicks some major fucking ass ;)..aren't the movies you mentioned by Guillermo children flicks? Especially Pan's, no? Anyway, I haven't seen those but have enjoyed most of M. Night's work..Also, doesn't Guillermo use a lof of visual/special effects? On the above surface I don't see how these two are comparable, but in any case I'm pretty sure M. Night is better hung for sure ;)..
    Pan's Labyrinth is a 15 and has some quite nasty scenes in it, so not really a kids film. It has a lot of effects and is very gothic/romantic in feel. And the Orphanage is a horror/ghost story. I haven't seen much of his other stuff and none of M. Nights so I don't know how far the comparisons reach.

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Pan's Labyrinth is a 15 and has some quite nasty scenes in it, so not really a kids film. It has a lot of effects and is very gothic/romantic in feel. And the Orphanage is a horror/ghost story. I haven't seen much of his other stuff and none of M. Nights so I don't know how far the comparisons reach.
    Watch Signs!
    I also liked Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense and The Village.
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    I love Pan's Labyrinth! :)

also love Signs though it scares the helll outta me. I've not seen enough movies from these two to compare them or figure who's work I like better but so far I've enjoyed everything I've seen from them.

how scary is The Orphanage btw? I really wanna watch it but don't know if I'll dare to alone. :o
    I haven't seen the orphanage, but Mark has and he's said it's scary but great.

I'm not one to watch horror films alone either. I like someone to hold my hand :o

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    brainofPJ wrote:

i agree, the guy is a clown.
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I haven't seen the orphanage, but Mark has and he's said it's scary but great.

I'm not one to watch horror films alone either. I like someone to hold my hand :o

maybe I'll watch it one day.. in broad daylight! and after that maybe some Monty Python or other comedies. :D

I need someone to hold my hand and also to check that there is nobody or nothing under my bed, in the bathroom, outside the window.. :o

thing is that I usually in the end enjoy horror/scary flicks but I can't handle the aftermath. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options

I'll check it out, thanks..You should definitely look into Rygar's suggestions..Lady and The Happening weren't so great, but good..Signs, Sixth Sense, and The Village are a must watch..Unbreakable is good as well..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    I'll check it out, thanks..You should definitely look into Rygar's suggestions..Lady and The Happening weren't so great, but good..Signs, Sixth Sense, and The Village are a must watch..Unbreakable is good as well..
    I will do, thank you :)

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Thanks for saying so.. I guess I don't know the guy, a fact of which I'm glad.

oh, and i just realized that i never posted about the actual topic....see that's what i'm talking about. i wish when you had someone on your ignore list you couldn't read when others quote them. anyway.......

M Night's movies never do it for me. it always feels like a waste of my time. in his earlier movies he just seemed to try so hard to shove a 'twist' down my throat....and they never worked. there were always way too many plot holes and i'm usually not one that picks a movie apart like that but when they are so blatant it's just too easy. and then his latest movie....wow, what a craptastically crap story. i love IMDB for movies like this...go over there, read the story, get pissed that i wasted my time reading it, get happy that i won't waste any money on it.

on the other hand i really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. some of his other movies were ok. The Hobbit might be good...can't wait to see.

Pan's Labyrinth reminded me of some of Terry Gilliam's movies. speaking of which, check out Tideland. can't wait for his next movie 'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus'....sound cool.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    oh, and i just realized that i never posted about the actual topic....see that's what i'm talking about. i wish when you had someone on your ignore list you couldn't read when others quote them. anyway.......

M Night's movies never do it for me. it always feels like a waste of my time. in his earlier movies he just seemed to try so hard to shove a 'twist' down my throat....and they never worked. there were always way too many plot holes and i'm usually not one that picks a movie apart like that but when they are so blatant it's just too easy. and then his latest movie....wow, what a craptastically crap story. i love IMDB for movies like this...go over there, read the story, get pissed that i wasted my time reading it, get happy that i won't waste any money on it.

on the other hand i really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth. some of his other movies were ok. The Hobbit might be good...can't wait to see.

Pan's Labyrinth reminded me of some of Terry Gilliam's movies. speaking of which, check out Tideland. can't wait for his next movie 'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus'....sound cool.

Is Del Toro doing The Hobbit? Wow..

I recently found out The Orphanage is his debut, or so I'm informed. It's brilliant.. scary as well.

• Options
    Is Del Toro doing The Hobbit? Wow..
    +1

Now I'm even more excited about it. If that were possible...

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:

Oh man, what a hater ;)...anyway, when I saw the Sixth Sense, I didn't know about all the plot twists etc..and thus wasn't expecting anything..Man, when that twist occured, it hit me like a ton of bricks....No movie has ever had that kind of effect on me prior..It was so fucking eery, in a good way..I'll never forget that...
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'