Options

Attending "social events" alone?

audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone do this? What is your take on it?

I went to see a band on my own last night, and a few people were quite surprised that I would do this alone. If I want to do something, i'm not going to miss out just because no one else wants to do it.

So what's the verdict? Is it strange to do things on your own? Or is it just that people think it's strange because society tells them that they have to spend every waking hour with another person?

Oh, and for all the people who are going to tell me to "get some friends" or something like that, I have friends. But i'm just as comfortable in my own company. So please save your jokes and snide comments. :)
~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I saw Neil Young alone last week... I like going to shows that I know will be sit down take it all in type of shows alone...
    In 2000 I drove from WI to St. Louis to Kansas City by myself for the pearl jam shows, I had a blast!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    After 15 years it gets a little old. I'm not as comfortable eating out alone or going to a show alone because it's sortof boring.

However, for the first 10-15 years it's just how to get the most out of life if your friends/family aren't available.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I went to see my buddy's band play a while ago by myself and was generally uncomfortable.
    Then I had a group of skinheads try to pick a fight with me.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I always go to concerts alone... it's pointless to spend an extra $50/$100 to bring someone along who won't enjoy it and will distract you...
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    audiodave wrote:
    I went to see a band on my own last night, and a few people were quite surprised that I would do this alone. If I want to do something, i'm not going to miss out just because no one else wants to do it.

i go to gigs on my own... if no one i know wants to go then i'm quite happy going on my own.

been to the cinema a few times on my own.. same reason as above... but its a bit more eh noticeable.. so i just hang around looking at my watch pretending someones late :)

i've only been to cinema 2 times on me own and only been to 3 gigs on my own but i'd do it again..

social conformity just aint my bag baby... and who's going to take the piss anyway.. 3 skateboarders with plukes? i'd place razorblades into their popcorn if they did :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    I'm going to see Chris Cornell alone next 12/10...nobody wants to go, and there's nothing that can prevent me from going!
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    social conformity just aint my bag baby... and who's going to take the piss anyway.. 3 skateboarders with plukes? i'd place razorblades into their popcorn if they did :)

Me neither. Social conformity sucks. :p

I'm used to having the piss taken out of me anyway, so it doensn't matter. And besides, if I don't take anyone else with me, I don't have to worry about making pointless conversation with them. I can just look around and observe the strange things that other people do.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    my wife will normally bail on events so I have no problem going alone; and most of the time I will run into someone I knw anyway.
    Regardless, I swear I have "Talk to me" written on my forehead; seems like wherever I go, a stranger will start a conversation with me, which is great.
    Plus, I would rather go alone then have to deal with someone who really doesnt want to be there. :D

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    to a certain extent I don't find doing stuff like that on my own uncomfortable at all.

I wouldn't go to a bar/pub on my own though.. but I think that's got more to do with the kind of people that are there and what kind of bars we have here anyway. (pretty crappy.. :rolleyes: )

my friends can't believe I'll go to the cinema alone. which I think is odd. why not go alone? I mean, you can't even talk to anyone while you're watching the movie. :D

I don't go "out" on my own much, but it's not uncomfy for me when I do. it's just that mostly many of my friends like to go and see the same bands and stuff.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    I have never had to go on my own to a gig or anything, but I wouldn't have a problem of doing so if nobody I knew wanted to go and I did.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    I'd LIKE to be able to go to gigs on my own but I just know I wouldn't enjoy them as much. I've never had to miss out on one I wanted anyway cos nobody could come with me. I dunno, it's one thing where I like having company and someone to share the fun with.

I don't eat out on my own for the same reason... it's actually just 'eating' if you're on your own rather than 'eating out' even though it IS out, you're missing out on the company. That's WHY they leave breaks between courses. I can cook at home if I wanna eat something nice but I eat out for the sociable aspect :o Restaurants aren't places for meeting people... and all ya can really do is look at the wall or other people :o not my kinda fun.

I HAVE gone to pubs on my own though and had fucking FANTASTIC times and met people I wouldn't have met were I with friends. At first it was quite awkward but once ya get a couple of drinks in ya, it's fucking excellent. I'd talk to anyone anyway.

I go to the cinema alone quite often and actually prefer it. I love just saying to myself I'll go cinema after work and just switch off for a couple of hours. I prefer going to the cinema alone... NOT that I didn't enjoy Jenny and Neil's company at into the wild though :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    upina2001 wrote:
    Regardless, I swear I have "Talk to me" written on my forehead; seems like wherever I go, a stranger will start a conversation with me, which is great.
    :D me TOO! It's excellent. And I've got the going to pubs on your own thing completely figured out too... get in early and get the best seat in the place. When the place fills up, people HAVE to join you whether they want to or not :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I love doing things by myself. Movies, shows, hikes...

My husband always needs a tagalong which I don't understand.

Except for dinner out. I understand wanting company for that. I've tried eating out alone and it makes me feel awkward. I much prefer sharing that experience.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    I've gone to concerts alone... it always turns out fine! you meet cool people around you, and have a blast!

I've been to the movies alone too...

I've travelled through Europe by myself, which always requires you to sight-see, shop, lie on the beach, have dinner by yourself....

don't forget, a simple cappucino and a book can make you look like you're terribly busy and important.... ;)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    I've gone to concerts alone... it always turns out fine! you meet cool people around you, and have a blast!

I've been to the movies alone too...

I've travelled through Europe by myself, which always requires you to sight-see, shop, lie on the beach, have dinner by yourself....

don't forget, a simple cappucino and a book can make you look like you're terribly busy and important.... ;)
    Ahhh... travelling alone is pretty cool alright. I only did it once, it wasn't really alone but a week in Rome having to entertain myself during the day while my friend worked. I met SOOOOOOOOOO many brilliant people. I went to pompeii on my own and there was another guy on the bus on his own so we got chatting and hung out for the day. You always meet people when you're alone.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    See that's the thing. If I go somewhere alone, I never really meet people. I generally don't go over and talk to people, and I must have this look that says "stay away from me or i'll bite you", as no one ever comes to talk to me either. But I don't care. I'm more than happy in m own company most of the time.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    It is strange, but sometimes you have to do it if you care enough for the event. I flew in and went solo to see PJ in Wembley and I don't regret a minute :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    audiodave wrote:
    See that's the thing. If I go somewhere alone, I never really meet people. I generally don't go over and talk to people, and I must have this look that says "stay away from me or i'll bite you", as no one ever comes to talk to me either. But I don't care. I'm more than happy in m own company most of the time.

well as long as you're happy and comfortable, that's great. :)

I don't have all too many poeple come and talk to me either when I'm alone somewhere and it doesn't bother me at all. if I'm alone it either means that I'm waiting for someone or that I just want to spend some time with myself. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i've gone to 3-4 shows alone in the past few months. i dont care. i've got friends but they're either cheap, lazy, unreliable, or have poor taste in music. i've taken to just buying a ticket for me and telling them they should go too rather than buying two and having the other person bail on me. what do i care? it's a concert and i can't (or don't want to) talk anyway. plus i feel like i can't just enjoy it cos i worry, esp if i pushed them into going, that they arent enjoying it as much as i am.

ill also go to movies alone if need be. i've no problem with it if there's something i really wanna see and nobody can make it.

as to restaurants, i've done it many times when i was feeling lazy. i take a book and read. it's a business lunch/dinner.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    audiodave wrote:
    Does anyone do this? What is your take on it?

So what's the verdict? Is it strange to do things on your own? Or is it just that people think it's strange because society tells them that they have to spend every waking hour with another person?

Oh, and for all the people who are going to tell me to "get some friends" or something like that, I have friends. But i'm just as comfortable in my own company. So please save your jokes and snide comments. :)
    that's me :)

I go to gigs on my own..though after the PJ touring experience, that feels strange, and is not as fun... strangest of all was Milan last year (last minute thing so found a ticket 'seated' whilst everyone was upfront..
    but thanks to the PJ tour, I found many people to go with now ;)

I spend most of my life going to the cinema alone as I was a cinema buff so went often, plus liked seeing things behind the average teenager blockbuster. It really doesn't bother me..I wish more people did it actually, less fucking idiots chatting away :grr:

I also go to the theatre alone..got used to it..got a friend I often go with but synchronising schedules can be hard, especially on things you got to book months in advance.

restaurants, bars on the other hand..i hate it..only do it when I'm travelling and I have to (I have travelled a lot on my own..I don't mind except in the evenings).
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I've gone to gigs on my own and it doesn't bother me ... as others have said it's better than going with someone who isn't really that interested. Also been to the cinema alone and as others said why wouldn't you ... I don't see going to the cinema as social thing usually anyway :o
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    audiodave wrote:

im the same. my gf has strangers strik up conversations with her all the time no matter where she goes. i've never had this happen. i think i give off the "potential serial killer" vibe or something. not that it stops me enjoying myself alone.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    :D me TOO! It's excellent. And I've got the going to pubs on your own thing completely figured out too... get in early and get the best seat in the place. When the place fills up, people HAVE to join you whether they want to or not :D
    even when people 'join me' at a table, they're always with someone else..so you don't talk...well, I don't start it, and if they don't...
    you don't have that problem, you're the conversation starter! or hugger should I say? ;)
    audiodave wrote:
    See that's the thing. If I go somewhere alone, I never really meet people. I generally don't go over and talk to people, and I must have this look that says "stay away from me or i'll bite you", as no one ever comes to talk to me either.
    yeah that's my problem.. I can talk till you drop (I'm going to get affirmative sneers there :o), but I'm not a conversation starter..at least not when I'm on my own and sober ;)
  • Options
    Sometimes if you go somewhere alone and there's like too many smelly people crowding so you begin to stop feeling alone, just fire a gun in the air a few times to get the alone feeling back.

actually no...don't do that..
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I have no issue going to a concert alone or a movie alone. Sometimes I will go eat alone, but usually a place where I know people who go there or work there.
  • Options
    i've gone to concerts and movies by myself and wandered around parts of europe, and have had a blast! for years i went to see PJ by myself because nobody i knew liked them as much as me....i only wish i had gotten over the hang-up of doing shows alone earlier, i could have seen some killer PJ gigs in the early days *doy!*

i just went to see bob schneider last week, was a tuesday night so everybody i knew couldn't make it cuz of their schedules/work/school, and like hell i was gonna miss it! i enjoy my own company :)
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I go to concerts and movies alone sometimes. As far as the concerts are concerned I usually enjoy myself more alone. However, I will rarely go to a restaurant that serves you alone.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    even when people 'join me' at a table, they're always with someone else..so you don't talk...well, I don't start it, and if they don't...
    you don't have that problem, you're the conversation starter! or hugger should I say? ;)
    :D yeh I guess I've no problem going up to somebody and starting a conversation... although if you're on yer own, even if they're with someone a simple 'would you mind watching my seat while I go to the toilet please cos I'm here on my own' is often a good way to kick things off :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    going alone to shows, movies, etc., is a relatively new concept for me. i normally won't even leave my car to meet up with a friend somewhere unless i know that they are already there, or that i won't have to wait by myself for for than 5 minutes.

but, i've become more adventurous! i've gone to a couple shows on my own and had a really awesome time. met some pretty interesting people...at least i was amused for the evening. i just have to be careful that i don't overcompensate for my being alone with beer! i'm not completely comfortable just standing there doing nothing...maybe i'll text my friends next time ;)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I go to a lot of concerts alone. Many of my friends just don't care for the bands that i do. It sucks in some ways but I've seen so many shows that i would have missed i dont regret it.

I go to the movies alone but don't go on Friday or Saturday nights alone.

I used to eat out alone a lot more but i don't do that as much. I generally don't mind if i do it though, but i won't go to a fancy sit down couples type place.

I'd love to have someone to share all of that with, but i just don't.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
This discussion has been closed.