Options

Attending "social events" alone?

124»

Comments

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    audiodave wrote:
    To me, thats says more about your insecurity than anything else. Why care so much if everyone else thinks you're a "loser"? And why is it embarassing? I bet most people wouldn't even notice.

I'm not trying to piss you off, just sharing my feelings on the subject.

Dave, I agree.

When was the last time you were at the movies and said "HEY! Look at that person over there! They're alone! What a goon!"

I would NEVER notice something like this.....then again I don't notice stop signs.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Odin wrote:
    Most people wouldn't notice? Are you kidding me? Being alone at a cinema makes you stick out like a sore thumb. You're SUPPOSED to go with friends or your girlfriend. Being alone or with just one friend at the movies makes you look strange, especially on weekends.

yeah, and going to a night club alone is really hip. you get to be that creepy old dude standing there alone looking for drunk girls like a predator. that guy doesn't look strange at all.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Odin wrote:
    High school is a microcosm of real life when it comes to reputation and relationships. Obviously, people change and grow over the years, but the underlying social structure remains the same, as do social norms. Is that the way I necessarily WANT it to be? No, but that's the way it is. That said, I would never want to be seen at a cinema alone and nothing you say will alter my opinion on this matter.

ah, you're in high school still. that explains a lot.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Well I think it says more about the person looking at you THINKING you're a loser (if these people exist) than it says about you or me hitch! Why would they think somebody like that is a loser? Cos it's something they wouldn't do themselves... and what possible reason would they have for not doing it themselves? Insecurity perhaps. If someone DOES look down on me for that, well they have issues and I feel sorry for them.

Also, there is a chance that this could be more common in Ireland or the UK than many other countries... it's not a big deal in Dublin anyway for someone to go to the cinema on their own.

There are times I've gone to the cinema where most people were on their own ... not those type of films dunk :rolleyes: ... I went to afternoon midweek showing of Motorcycle Diaries and don't think anyone arrived with anyone else.

As others have said you're going to watch a film ... it's not social really (the before and after if you go for dinner or to a bar may be) I'd never even considered that some people may be find a strange to go to the cinema by yourself :o
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    all my comments on this thread were deleted last night... Odin said that anyone who went to the pics with a friend must be gay? :confused:

quite how he got to that conclusion is anyones guess.

he's banned now.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    There are times I've gone to the cinema where most people were on their own ... not those type of films dunk :rolleyes: ... I went to afternoon midweek showing of Motorcycle Diaries and don't think anyone arrived with anyone else.

As others have said you're going to watch a film ... it's not social really (the before and after if you go for dinner or to a bar may be) I'd never even considered that some people may be find a strange to go to the cinema by yourself :o
    Me neither... and yep, it may also depend what films you go and see... when you go and see them... and what cinemas you go to. If you go to say the new Ben Stiller film on a Saturday night in the omniplex on yer own it's probably gonna be more noticeable than say going to see a thriller or a foreign film on yer own after work on a Tuesday in a smaller older cinema.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    dunkman wrote:
    all my comments on this thread were deleted last night... Odin said that anyone who went to the pics with a friend must be gay? :confused:

quite how he got to that conclusion is anyones guess.

he's banned now.

yea i thought this was locked?!?! and i hope he is banned.....i wasn't gonna get involved because anything i was gonna say to him would have me banned.....some ignorant shit there...:rolleyes: :)
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    cutback wrote:
    yea i thought this was locked?!?! and i hope he is banned.....i wasn't gonna get involved because anything i was gonna say to him would have me banned.....some ignorant shit there...:rolleyes: :)

yeah i rose to the bait... but his posts are just inflammatory for the sake of it i think.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I haven't read all 4 pages of the thread, and while I'd be lonely if I was alone ALL the time, I'm perfectly happy with seeing a show myself if no one else wants to go. Its better than not seeing it. I want to experience things in life related to my interests, and I don't know anyone else who likes what I like, with the exception of my daughter, who I take with me to shows whenever I can. I've seen PJ, Springsteen, AFI, alone, that I can think of.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
This discussion has been closed.