Options

The Montreal Canadiens Thread

Comments

• Options
    Rygar wrote:
    The D is finally looking alright in Montreal. I love seeing Komisarek run people over...(especially if they're dressed in blue, cough cough!)

I love Komisarek, players obviously don't like to try to go along the board on his side when he's on the ice, unfortunalty for them, it's Markov on the other side. That's why i'd like to have another d, to play with Hamrlik, who's way better than i thought on defense, i think he's overpaid but he's playing very well. I'd rather have Hamrlik at 5 mil. than McCabe at 5 mil. ;)
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    I love Komisarek, players obviously don't like to try to go along the board on his side when he's on the ice, unfortunalty for them, it's Markov on the other side. That's why i'd like to have another d, to play with Hamrlik, who's way better than i thought on defense, i think he's overpaid but he's playing very well. I'd rather have Hamrlik at 5 mil. than McCabe at 5 mil. ;)

:(
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

He has started playing a little better, although I still say he's overpaid (Hamrlik). Brisey isn't doing too bad either.
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    :(

Hahahahaha!
    Well with our Samsonov fiasco last year, we know how you feel at least :P
  • Options
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221504&hubname=nhl

Habs run over Carolina...
    4 power play goals in the first period, 5 pp goals in the game puts us to #1 on the pp, which isn't a bad thing, but I'd still like a better % of goals scored to be on even strength (not that I mind winning).

Kovy pots his 5th goal of the season in his 1000th NHL game.
    Three really good games in a row...something is up.
  • Options
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221587&hubname=nhl

Almost let the assclowns steal one...
  • Options
    Atlanta tonight, Price in goal.

Markov FOR THE CHUCK NORRIS TROPHY!!!
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Atlanta tonight, Price in goal.

Markov FOR THE CHUCK NORRIS TROPHY!!!

You mean Komisarek?

Price gets his first home game of the regular season. It's on TSN too, yay!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    You mean Komisarek?

Price gets his first home game of the regular season. It's on TSN too, yay!

Non non, Markov. But in the end we all know who this trophy belong to, Lidstrom is already +9. Phaneuf is also having a great start. But if Markov keep playing like that, he could be a contender. Komisarek is playing great, but he won't stack up the number of points require for a Norris winner, anyway Habs looking great and that's all that matter... oh the Habs just climb to the top 5 in the TSN power ranking...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Non non, Markov. But in the end we all know who this trophy belong to, Lidstrom is already +9. Phaneuf is also having a great start. But if Markov keep playing like that, he could be a contender. Komisarek is playing great, but he won't stack up the number of points require for a Norris winner, anyway Habs looking great and that's all that matter... oh the Habs just climb to the top 5 in the TSN power ranking...

Maybe not the Norris trophy, but the Chuck Norris trophy.....
    Markov is doing pretty good and it'd be nice to see him keep it up.
    Top 5, eh? Too bad we're 6th worst in the league on the PK, eh?
  • Options
    Well d'oh.
    Stoopid Thrashers.
  • Options
    bad game, at least they didn't lost 7-1... and they stole a point.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    bad game, at least they didn't lost 7-1... and they stole a point.

I only turned it on in OT, when they were playing good. I read Higgin's quote today that it was their worst game of the season...yuck.

Hey, TYG, go play the NHL battle game so we can get our team up some :P
  • Options
    Well Price played very well, but that Kovulchuck ended it just like he ended the shoot-out against the leafs, Hedberg 6-0 in shoot-outs who would have thought that
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well Price played very well, but that Kovulchuck ended it just like he ended the shoot-out against the leafs, Hedberg 6-0 in shoot-outs who would have thought that

Price looked like a deer in the headlights in the shootout...
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Price looked like a deer in the headlights in the shootout...

Well shootouts are terrible anyways, but yeah alot of goalies struggle in shootouts and alot of players to, but Price did beat the Americans a few years ago at the World Juniors in a shootout :0
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well shootouts are terrible anyways, but yeah alot of goalies struggle in shootouts and alot of players to, but Price did beat the Americans a few years ago at the World Juniors in a shootout :0

He's the only reason the Habs got a point (Kovy got another goal though, take that grandma!) so can't fault him too much....the first Atlanta goal in the shootout was a beaut too
  • Options
    Koivu speaks out on Bertrand's remarks

TSN.ca Staff

10/31/2007 7:38:59 PM

Montreal Canadiens captain Saku Koivu was on the defensive with the media again on Wednesday, and this time the issue was language.

The veteran forward from Finland was mentioned Tuesday by Quebec lawyer Guy Bertrand at provincial public hearings looking into reasonable accommodation for religious minorities. Bertrand was upset that during the Canadiens' Oct. 13 home opener, Koivu, as part of a videotaped pre-game ceremony, introduced his teammates in English only.

"I have the right to be served in my language," he said. "He has been playing for 12 years (for the Canadiens). He is married to a francophone. It demonstrates contempt for our language. It is not respectful."

Koivu, whose wife Hanna speaks French but was born in Finland, was quick to address Bertrand's remarks.

Koivu speaks limited French, and has done so at team functions like hospital visits with children.

"It's a bit easier talking to kids than talking to you (Michael) in French," Koivu jokingly told TSN's Michael Whalen. "And I talk to my wife in French in the right atmosphere," he added with a wink. "You know what I'm talking about."

General manager Bob Gainey, a former captain who will have his number retired by the Canadiens this season, has previously mentioned the importance of a Canadiens captain being able to speak French.

"Bob Gainey was a model during the time he was captain," Koivu added. "He made the effort to learn French. When I arrived here, I had to learn English and it took me some time before mastering it. In an ideal world, I should also speak French. But I'm not perfect in that sense."

Koivu, who received the 'C' in September of 2000, is the Canadiens' second-longest serving captain behind the legendary Jean Beliveau.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221847&hubname=
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Saw that. The Quebec media pisses me off as much as the TO media. The extremist politicians too.
    Nice comments by Koivu :P
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Saw that. The Quebec media pisses me off as much as the TO media. The extremist politicians too.
    Nice comments by Koivu :P

Give the guy a break, he had to learn english first, im sure he's pretty good at french to, just not comfortable yet speaking it to the media.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    Give the guy a break, he had to learn english first, im sure he's pretty good at french to, just not comfortable yet speaking it to the media.

I was serious, nice comments by Koivu. "I use it at home with the wife. Giggity."
    If I was him I'd tell them to kiss my ass. Ask them to lower taxes in Quebec first, then learn french :P
  • Options
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221951&hubname=nhl

Yee haw!
    Wonder if we'll have another crash and burn come December ;)
  • Options
    7-2-3 is a pretty is a pretty good record thus far, bring it on Saturday lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    kenshunt wrote:
    7-2-3 is a pretty is a pretty good record thus far, bring it on Saturday lol.

Fak I hate playing you tards, you guys could lose every game of the season 12-0, but show up to play Montreal....

Anyway, 7-2-3 is great and all, but they killed everyone last year until the end of December, too, then sunk like a rock..
  • Options
    If only all eighty-some odd season games were against the Boourns...
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=222486&hubname=nhl
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Price looked great last night. Huet is playing like a solid # 1. What a great goaltending tandem. What to do though down the road. Trade Huet for a forward at the trade deadline, during the off-season and give Price the # 1 for the play-offs, for next season. Interesting decisions will have to be made.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    Price looked great last night. Huet is playing like a solid # 1. What a great goaltending tandem. What to do though down the road. Trade Huet for a forward at the trade deadline, during the off-season and give Price the # 1 for the play-offs, for next season. Interesting decisions will have to be made.

I wouldn't get rid of Huet just yet.

They were talking about Pittsburgh being after Halak...for Colby Armstrong..
    ugh...
  • Options
    Price gets call for Habs against Leafs

The Canadian Press

11/12/2007 8:07:46 PM

MONTREAL - Toronto looks to have the number of Montreal goaltender Cristobal Huet.

So rookie Carey Price will get the start when the Canadiens play the Maple Leafs on Tuesday night at the Air Canada Centre.

"Obviously, the fact that Cristobal hasn't been successful the last three games against Toronto certainly got into the decision," coach Guy Carbonneau said Monday.

"I don't want to blame him. It's not just him."

Related Info
    Original Six Match-up
    Smash Hits
    Ice Chips: Leafs call up Kronwall
    The 9-4-3 Canadiens have had a better start to the season than the 7-7-4 Maple Leafs, but Toronto has beaten Montreal in both of their meetings thus far, each time with Huet in goal.

On Oct. 6 in Toronto, the Leafs erased a 3-1 deficit to win 4-3 in overtime on a Tomas Kaberle goal. On Oct. 3 in Montreal, Matt Stajan's goal late in the third period gave the Leafs a 3-2 win.

And then there was the Canadiens' final game of last season, when they wasted a 5-3 lead and lost 6-5 at the Air Canada Centre - with Huet in the net - and were eliminated from the playoffs.

Huet also lost 4-1 in Toronto on Jan. 27, although he was on the winning end of a 4-3 decision over Toronto last Dec. 2 in Montreal.

Otherwise, Huet is having a strong season, at 6-3-2 with one shutout and a .931 save percentage.

He's being pushed by Price, who is 3-1-1 despite being thrown cold into some tough games - including wins twice in Pittsburgh and a loss in Ottawa.

"The guys play well in front of me and that helps me out a lot," said Price, the fifth overall draft pick in 2005 who is pegged as Montreal's goalie of the future.

Price starred for Tri-City in the WHL the last three years and backstopped Canada to gold at the world junior championships last winter. Then he led Montreal's top farm team, the Hamilton Bulldogs, to an AHL championship.

"Everybody saw when he got here that's he's cool and really calm in the net," said Carbonneau. "There's a big adaptation from junior to the AHL and an even bigger adaptation to the NHL, but so far it's been pretty smooth."

Carbonneau said he planned the usage of his goalies in advance for the week, with Huet starting in a 3-1 loss Saturday in Ottawa, Price playing the game in Toronto, Huet back in goal Friday night in Buffalo and Price again Saturday night at home against Boston.

That puts 20-year-old Price into the pressure-cooker. Toronto-Montreal games in either city feature large contingents of fans for both teams in the seats, as well as big TV ratings.

"I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not going to treat it any different from any other building I've played in," said Price, who saw action once before in Toronto in a pre-season game.

"It's a lot of fun to play in Toronto. They have great fans there, like we do here. They like to get on the opposite team's goalie and I'm sure they will. But we've got to treat it like any other game."

Veteran winger Alex Kovalev had much the same message with a different twist. He feels the Canadiens may get too much adrenaline flowing when the NHL's two oldest rivals meet.

"Sometimes we focus too much on the rivalry and the fans," he said. "It doesn't matter whether it's here or there, there's always half Montreal and half Toronto fans and some guys go over their heads and try to look at it like it's a final playoff game.

"If we just play a simple game and do things right, things will fall into place. Sometimes, people try to do extra things and it just doesn't work."

In their last meeting, Toronto goaltender Vesa Toskala was the difference as Montreal outshot the Leafs 34-31.

That started the Canadiens on a slight slump that has seen them score only seven goals in their last four games.

Their top line in particular has been quiet, with Michael Ryder without a goal in his last six games, Saku Koivu in four games and Chris Higgins in three.

Ryder, a 30-goal scorer the last two seasons, has only two goals this season. Of late, Carbonneau has been dropping him in favour of checker Tom Kostopoulos when he cuts down to three lines in the third period.

"I'll continue to do that," said Carbonneau. "As for the rest, the answer is in Michael's hands.

"If he keeps working hard and shooting the puck, good things are going to happen. But he'll be the first one to tell you he doesn't like the situation he's in now. It's been hard for him."

Kostopoulos has only one goal and three assists this season. He likes Canadiens-Leafs games, having grown up in Toronto.

"I don't think it will ever wear off, that rivalry," he said. "Every game is a big game.

"The fans get excited about it and the players do, too. Especially being raised in Toronto. I definitely get excited about it."

Montreal will have checking forward Steve Begin back from a charley horse, so rookie Mikhail Grabovski will sit out.
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=222747&hubname=
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    big game tonight enjoy
  • Options
    Some super shitty goals last game...
    Not looking forward to tonight, ugh...