Options

Ever broken a bone?

Comments

• Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Age 13 - Broken Left Shin/Ankle - a pretty gross soccer injury..I won't describe it.

Details please.... was it compound?!

Derrick wrote:
    My wife calls me Mr. Glass. :(

awwwww! :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Details please.... was it compound?!

Basically, I was chasing a guy and got knocked off balance a bit and my foot stuck in a rut in the field, while I fell to the side. my ankle dislocated from the end of my shin/femur and broke my tibia and various bones in my ankle.

That was a long rehab.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Basically, I was chasing a guy and got knocked off balance a bit and my foot stuck in a rut in the field, while I fell to the side. my ankle dislocated from the end of my shin/femur and broke my tibia and various bones in my ankle.

That was a long rehab.

jesus.... sounds painful!

surgery? pins?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    jesus.... sounds painful!

surgery? pins?

Surgery to relocate the ankle (put my foot back on). No pins. I also had surgery in 2005 to repair my torn knee ligaments.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Surgery to relocate the ankle (put my foot back on). No pins. I also had surgery in 2005 to repair my torn knee ligaments.

NICE!! luckily i've never had to have surgery, just alot of casts, rest, strong painkillers and physio.

I also have a poorly shoulder that I was having physio on not so long ago, general wear through mountain biking I think....

we're both as bad as each other! lol

• Options
    Well...ever since my surgery in Nov of 2005, I've given up sports and now I just work out 3-4 days a week. I figured it was kinda said timestamping my life by the injuries I've had.

And those are just the breaks. I've had concussions from Tae Kwon Do, neck sprains from hockey, twisted ankles from volleyball, a bruised lower back (see: pain) from an idiotic GT Sno-Racer incident, blue fingers from lacrosse.

that might be it...I kinda forget.

I'm going to get back into tennis this summer...that is one of the few sports I've not been injured in yet.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Well...ever since my surgery in Nov of 2005, I've given up sports and now I just work out 3-4 days a week. I figured it was kinda said timestamping my life by the injuries I've had.

And those are just the breaks. I've had concussions from Tae Kwon Do, neck sprains from hockey, twisted ankles from volleyball, a bruised lower back (see: pain) from an idiotic GT Sno-Racer incident, blue fingers from lacrosse.

that might be it...I kinda forget.

I'm going to get back into tennis this summer...that is one of the few sports I've not been injured in yet.

Haha! the more talk to you the more injuries of my own I remember! No feeling in left little finger due to trapping in book case, getting a lump of quarrie stone wedged in my chin, I went go-karting once and even gave myself a hernia! ah the good old days.... lol

Be careful with tennis, the balls can hurt. I got hit with a squash ball once at full speed... had a horrendous welt and bruise, couldn't walk properly for a week.... it hit my right buttock.

feel free to mock :p

• Options
    never broken a bone. I'm like Bruce Willis.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Between feeling punchy as a younger man and playing street ball, I have broken many bones – hands, fingers, wrists, ribs, toes, etc. Massive sprains hurt even worse, well, except for broken ribs. Nothing hurts like broken ribs.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    broke my:
    nose
    collar bone
    tib/fib
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Derrick wrote:

That was a long rehab.

you and me both......long rehab - you aren't kidding!!!! mine wasn;t sports related though - just a really stupid fall.
    i hade an 8 inch metal plate and screws - but i had it taken out after it healed. quite an experience.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I'm seeing a hand doc next week.
    I think I broke my middle finger :o
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,083
    Damn Jamie--hope you are feeling better.

I had a broken nose once---hurt like HELL when they had to stick a stick up my nostril to set it.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    jamie uk wrote:
    Just wondering, as I'm laid up here in the age old male tradition of wearing a bag of frozen peas on my foot!
    Seems in my ever more pathetic desire to stay young and fit, I have probably broken a bone, somewhere just between the ball of my foot and my big toe.
    It's a strange kind of pain, like a dull ache, and throbbing....ouchie!

:eek: Jamie! Get better!!!

I had a broken foot once.. oh yeah, it was at Lolla, and I ran on it to get to the front! And then I stood on it all day.. and it hurt and hurt and hurt like nothing ever hurt before. And then Pearl Jam took the stage ages later, and I never felt the pain the whole show :)

the end.
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I've only broken one bone. I broke my left ring finger punching a guy in the face... his jawline was pretty solid haha

.. and i wasn't the aggressor, just standing up for my gf who was getting harrassed by him.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    no
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I broke my wrist and my elbow when I was 4 but it didn't hurt at all. The doctor says sometimes when your that young it doesn't hurt.

I have a broken foot right now. I had surgery and they had to break it. It hurt the first week or so but it's not so bad. Sorry your laid up. My doctor made me stay home for about a month but I am back at work now:(
  • Options
    I had a broken foot once.. oh yeah, it was at Lolla, and I ran on it to get to the front! And then I stood on it all day.. and it hurt and hurt and hurt like nothing ever hurt before. And then Pearl Jam took the stage ages later, and I never felt the pain the whole show :)

I had a similar experience. My first ever Pearl Jam show was August 1998 in Barrie Ontario. Cheap Trick opened up for them, and I'm not really a CT fan. Not only that, I hated their music and it gave me the most intense migraine headache I've ever felt. So there I was in agony amidst all the old fogies were getting drunk to CT and acting like retards, I was cursing CT and their crap music for giving me a headache for my first ever PJ show!!!

then....

...from the darkness....

...the opening bars to Corduroy. Adrenaline took over and I felt no pain...it was amazing. I was so excited and enjoyed the whole show. As long as I live I will never forget those few opening notes to that song at that moment in time.
  • Options
    This chick I met in California almost broke my bone once.

Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Only once, my coracoid proces of scapula
    it's the littles bone in your shoulder, the one where most of the ligaments and muscles connect to ...

very interesting, tends to heal very badly and very hard to make a decent diagnosis.. took the doctors three x-rays (showed nothing), two obstetric ultrasonographies and finally a fluoroscopy and a CAT-scan to discover what was wrong. By that time I'd been walking around with that thing broken for about three months ...

http://www.innerbody.com/image/musc10.html
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    The strangest bone I've ever broken...my eardrum. No joke.

i been that made your balance all fuckered up (yes, no)
    could you still hear (yes, no)
    would you tell us about this please (yes, no)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    broke my collar bone...

ouch.

i have to say that the sprains i have suffered in my right ankle have been some of the most painful experiences ever though.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Yes I have. I broke my 5th metatarsal on my left foot a couple years ago. It is to date the only confirmed bone break I have ever had and it hurt like a son-of-a-bitch!!! My foot turned just about every color of purple possible. At first (because I never had before) I didn't think i had actually broke it. So i went to work the next morning. As I was literally crawling across our sky bridge to get into the building - and progressively it got much more painful as the morning went on - I finally decided I should go see the doctor. He x-rayed it and to my surprise, he came back in the exam room and proclaimed that 'yep, you sure did break it a good one!' He said it wasn't just a hairline fracture, it was broken in 2. I opted for the removable rocker cast that I could put partial weight on (due to the arcing of the sole - it took all the pressure off of the middle of my foot and redirected it to the toes and heal). I was in that and using a cane for about 6 weeks after. It heeled awfully fast though all things considered. I have sprained my ankle years before and that took almost a full year to have no pain. Compared to that - the broken bone didn't take that much of my life up.
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Foot update.
    Big toe slightly more swollen tonight, skin very tight, still unable to put weight on it, bruising starting to appear worse.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    jamie uk wrote:
    Foot update.
    Big toe slightly more swollen tonight, skin very tight, still unable to put weight on it, bruising starting to appear worse.
    drown the pain ! :D

and then go see a doctor :)
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    drown the pain ! :D

and then go see a doctor :)
    There's not much pain as such, unless I apply pressure. But I am drowning it anyway...god bless this Aussie wine.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    so has it healed yet spermatosa boy? ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    so has it healed yet spermatosa boy? ;)
    It's ok as long as I sit on my lazy arse all day doing nothing. I went bowling today, I had 1 size 9 shoe and 1 size 11, like a freak I was. I disgusted myself.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I sprained my pinky once when I was little. Never broke a bone.
  • Options
    I sprained my pinky once when I was little. Never broke a bone.

Aaaawww, diddums..:D